Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

You Know You Live In A Desert When...

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:57 pm

So I was leaving for work this morning and I opened the back door to find the biggest tumbleweed I've ever seen! I live in a neighborhood on the south side of SAF and I can't figure out for the life of me how this monster ended up in my back yard. It was roughly 5-6 ft by 4 ft by 4 ft.

How about you guys? What are the weirdest things you've ever discovered near your home?

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 108kb

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 800 File size: 85kb

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 112kb

atrude777

RE: You Know You Live In A Desert When...

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:12 pm

rotfl   rotfl 

I wasn't expecting that!! I have been to Phoenix quite often, haven't seen that stuff! You're in ABQ correct?

Is the white stuff snow?

Alex

BMIFlyer

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:14 pm

What is that?  scratchchin 

By the way, how is the new house?  Smile

Lee

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Thread starter):
What are the weirdest things you've ever discovered near your home?

Not 'wierd' for this place, quite common in fact . . .

Taken 2/7/08:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/csmpep/Maui%20Vacation%20Feb%202008/MooseFeb08-3.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/csmpep/Maui%20Vacation%20Feb%202008/MooseFeb08-1.jpg

Oh, and yes, that white stuff IS snow . . . about 4 feet of it.  silly 

Tom in NO

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:28 pm

I didn't find this thing 'near' my house, I found this thing 'in' my house...a year or so ago. Kids were at school, so they missed it...the cat enjoyed it, though  wink 

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/tmoore065/DSC00740.jpg?t=1205249137

Tom at MSY

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:29 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 4):

That is ONE reason I like Alaska and Hawaii . . .

We don't have those pesky, nasty thing up here and they don't have them in the middle of the ocean either. . . .

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 1):
I wasn't expecting that!! I have been to Phoenix quite often, haven't seen that stuff! You're in ABQ correct?

I'm in Santa Fe. And yes, the white stuff is the last of the snow. We may be in a desert, but at 7,000 ft, you're bound to get some.

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 2):
What is that? scratchchin

That Lee... would be a tumbleweed. They're not just some cliche thing in a cheesy western, they do actually exist. They're just not usually this big.

[Edited 2008-03-11 08:54:37]

ctbarnes

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:06 pm

Back when I lived in Saudi Arabia I had a habit of leaving my door open when I was home--That was until I was paid a visit by an uninvited guest: a very large lizard about the size of a chihuahua. Fortunately he only stuck his head inside and left. Never saw it again. I think the fact I adopted a cat two weeks later had something to do with it.  Wink

Charles, SJ

MD11Engineer

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:09 pm

I didn't find this thing 'near' my house, I found this thing 'in' my house...a year or so ago. Kids were at school, so they missed it...the cat enjoyed it, though wink

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...49137

What's this? A garter snake?

Jan

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 7):
Back when I lived in Saudi Arabia I had a habit of leaving my door open when I was home--That was until I was paid a visit by an uninvited guest: a very large lizard about the size of a chihuahua. Fortunately he only stuck his head inside and left. Never saw it again. I think the fact I adopted a cat two weeks later had something to do with it.

laughing 

That's awesome Charles!

IMissPiedmont

Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:38 am

Pretty small tumbleweed there. At least for my spot of desert, that is a baby.

I guess the weirdest are the occasional Bobcat and mountain lion in my yard, the cattle eating my trees and the damn rattlers that like to block my road. No, I won't run them over. I just wait until they decide to move (away from the house, otherwise I have to catch them and remove them)

Superfly

Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:43 am

I didn't find this thing 'near' my house, I found this thing 'in' my house..

Now that would scare the hell out of me!
What kind of snake is that? Is that a water moccasin?
I notice it has venom sacs but no rattler so it can't be a garter or rattlesnake.
Scary no matter what!

Halcyon

Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:50 am

Mountain lions in the yard, bears in the house, and deer all around. That's about it for me. Have had turkeys get trapped in our old chicken pen though. Dumb animals.

Tom in NO

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
What kind of snake is that? Is that a water moccasin?

Beats me what was...maybe a little grass snake? Wasn't very big, though...a foot long maybe, about as big around as a large soda straw.

Tom at MSY

TSS

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:29 pm

What kind of snake is that? Is that a water moccasin? I notice it has venom sacs but no rattler so it can't be a garter or rattlesnake.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Gee... herpephobic much, Superfly?  cheeky 
That snake does not have obvious venom sacs and is definitely not a member of the Pit Viper (rattlesnakes, water moccasins/cotton-mouths, and copperheads) family. It's also clearly not a Coral Snake (which are highly poisonous but don't have externally visible venom glands), so it's probably one of umpteen varieties of perfectly harmless grass- or water-snakes.

Well, "harmless" unless you're a minnow, cricket, lizard, or small mouse, that is.  Wink

TSS

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:47 pm

So I was leaving for work this morning and I opened the back door to find the biggest tumbleweed I've ever seen!

That is one huge hockin' tumbleweed, BCA!

Here in town we have all kinds of critters: 'Possums, raccoons, snakes, lizards, and several varieties of insect and arachnid that get as big as your finger. Outside the city limits, coyotes and armadillos are also a fairly common sight here.

ShyFlyer

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:49 pm

I can't figure out for the life of me how this monster ended up in my back yard.

Ah yes, the annual migration of the tumbleweeds. A New Mexico tradition!

As for strange things I've found in and around my home, I've been pretty lucky. Neighbors and friends have found snakes and scorpions lurking about. Several years ago a bear wandered into town. All I've ever seen around my home is a Roadrunner.

Superfly

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 14):
Gee... herpephobic much, Superfly? cheeky
That snake does not have obvious venom sacs and is definitely not a member of the Pit Viper (rattlesnakes, water moccasins/cotton-mouths, and copperheads) family. It's also clearly not a Coral Snake (which are highly poisonous but don't have externally visible venom glands), so it's probably one of umpteen varieties of perfectly harmless grass- or water-snakes.

Thanks.
I should have known it wasn't a water moccasins/cotton-mouths since they aren't in the desert. Anyhow, I am afraid of snakes regardless of if they are venomous or not.

sprout5199

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 14):
Coral Snake

Red touch yellow--kill a fellow, red touch black--friend of jack--but NOT Superfly

I leave my sliding glass door open about a foot to let my cats come and go as they please at night. One morning I got up and there was a baby(about the size of a rat) 'possum laying on the kitchen floor dead. I thought great my cats have brought me a gift. I took a shower and was going to bury it before I left for work. But the damn thing was just playin 'possum with me. Was gone when I got out of the shower. BTW I live in town, not in the woods. I have also seen foxes in town also(both the two and four legged kind  Smile ).

Dan in Jupiter

Tom in NO

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:30 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 14):
Well, "harmless" unless you're a minnow, cricket, lizard, or small mouse, that is.

Or that snake himself, especially when our housecat started taking a liking to him  wink 

Tom at MSY

Superfly

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Believe it or not, here in the city of San Francisco, we have a lot of raccoons and skunks. Especially in the wooded areas. They are not afraid of people either.

TSS

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
Thanks.

I'm sorry, but in my head I could actually hear your panicked tone of voice as I read your post and I couldn't resist ribbing you a little bit. Big grin

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
Anyhow, I am afraid of snakes regardless of if they are venomous or not.

It's not an uncommon fear at all. Did I ever tell you about the time I backed three huge, macho coworkers all over the shop and made them scream like little girls by showing them a friend's barely 18-inch-long pet red-tailed boa wrapped around my forearm?  devil   mischievous   rotfl 

Superfly

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 21):
Did I ever tell you about the time I backed three huge, macho coworkers all over the shop and made them scream like little girls by showing them a friend's barely 18-inch-long pet red-tailed boa wrapped around my forearm?

You didn't tell me that but I can understand their fears. I like to go camping sometimes and I fear snakes more than bears. Yes I know it is an irrational fear and a bear could tear me up alive. If I see a bear off in a distance, it would freak me out as much as seeing a snake. I guess it's because they don't have limbs and have scales.

ABQ747

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:48 pm

So I was leaving for work this morning and I opened the back door to find the biggest tumbleweed I've ever seen!

I don't think I've ever seen a tumbleweed that big before.

RIXrat

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm with Superfly. I hate snakes -- any kind of snakes! When I lived in Southern California back in the 80s one day I found a six-foot rattler in the kitchen. Called 911 to have the cops come and blow him away. Instead I was transferred to the animal impound people who took their time to arrive. By that time this huge reptile had grown tired of hanging around and had slithered out the sliding kitchen door.

Another time at the same place and location a two-foot long lizard had accidentally (I hope) entered the kitchen through the same means, but suddenly found himself not being able to get any grip on the kitchen floor tiles. The sucker started hissing and opened his mouth very wide and it was all very red inside. I pushed this guy out with a broom.

I'm planning to move back to the States (southern Arizona) this summer from Latvia. Given my fear of snakes and scorpions -- I don't mind lizards because they have legs -- is this a wise move?

TSS

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:48 pm

Quoting RIXrat (Reply 24):
I'm planning to move back to the States (southern Arizona) this summer from Latvia. Given my fear of snakes and scorpions -- I don't mind lizards because they have legs -- is this a wise move?

Of the two, the scorpions (Bark Scorpions in particular) are far more dangerous because they're tiny and much more likely to take up residence inside your home. Fortunately, all scorpions glow vividly under a black (UV) light even if they're unremarkably colored in other light, so a fluorescent black light bulb in a flashlight might be a handy thing to have for nightly household scorpion checks. I'd definitely keep and use one.

As for snakes in general, some are beneficial and eat poisonous snakes (Kingsnakes, for example), most are borderline beneficial and eat vermin (but not all that many or that often because of snake's slow metabolism), and only a few are actually dangerous to humans- in Southern Arizona the latter group would mostly be rattlesnakes. Keeping one's yard free of debris and low-lying landscaping and making sure doors stay closed and well-sealed will minimize the possibility of snake intrusion.

While there are some good snakes, there are NO good scorpions!

TUNisia

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Since moving into our new home in Tucson I've seen lots of stuff. There's a snake that lives in the garden along the pathway into the house. I've seen him about a dozen times so far (he's yellow and kinda small). A small lizard was also running around the house for a few days and eventually left when my sister chased him out onto the back patio.

Spiders scare me the most! There's a black widow that lives behind the fountain in the backyard. I don't even go near it now!

Fly2HMO

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 15):
That is one huge hockin' tumbleweed,

I wish I had the picture I took of the one that was laying in my backyard in my former house in PRC. It was as big as my VW bug, no joke. I think it's still there, it was just too cool to get rid of it. It's amazing how light they are though, I was able to grab it from the base of its trunk(?) and single handedly move it around.

In the spring it gets really windy in PRC. When I was preflighting my plane once I saw how one of our runways was having a tumbleweed stampede. There was about 30 of them rolling down the runway. Two of them actually went through the props of one of our PA-44s while it was taxiing out. Talk about instant tumbleweed salad Big grin

I found this list for AZ, it's surprisingly accurate  yes 

You know you live in AZ when:

You buy salsa by the gallon.

Your Christmas decorations include a half a yard of sand and l00 paper bags.

You think a red light is merely a suggestion.

All of your out-of-state friends start to visit after October but clear out come the end of April.

You think someone driving wearing oven mitts is clever.

Most of the restaurants in town have the first name "El" or "Los".

You think 60 tons of crushed rock makes a beautiful yard.

You've signed so many petitions to recall governors that you can't remember the name of the incumbent.

You notice your car overheating before you drive it.

Your house is made of stucco and has a red clay tile roof.

You can say "Hohokam" and people don't think you're laughing funny.

You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.

You see more irrigation water on the street than there is in the Salt River.

You know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.

You can say 115 degrees without fainting.

Every other vehicle is a 4x4.

You can be in the snow, then drive for an hour and it will be over 100 degrees.

Vehicles with open windows have the right-of-way in the summer.

People break out coats when temperature drops below 70 degrees.

You discover, in July, it only takes two fingers to drive your car.

The pool can be warmer than you are.

You can make sun tea instantly.

You run your air conditioner in the middle of winter so you can use your fireplace.

Most homes have more firearms than people.

Kids will ask, "What's a mosquito?"

People who have black cars or black upholstery in their car are automatically assumed to be from out-of-state or nuts.

You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

The AC is on your list of best friends.

Monday Night Football starts at 7:00 instead of 6:00.

You realize that Valley Fever isn't a disco dance.

You can finish a Big Gulp in 10 minutes and go back for seconds.

The water from the cold water tap is the same temperature as the hot one.

You can (correctly) pronounce the words: "Saguaro", "Ocotillo", "Tempe", "Gila Bend", "San Xavier", "Canyon de Chelly", "Mogollon Rim", "Cholla", and "Ajo".

It's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is walking on the streets.

You experience third degree burns if you touch any metal part of your car.

You know better than to get into a car with leather seats if you're wearing shorts.

Announcements for Fourth of July events never end with "in case of rain......"

When someone asks how far you live from a location, it's always in terms of minutes, not miles.

Everyone's smiling and talking about the great weather on rainy days.

You have to explain to out-of-staters why there is no daylight savings time.

Yellowstone

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:13 pm

I've never seen anything quite that interesting right outside my house, but I did come across a foot-long baby rattlesnake sunning itself on the path one time when I was hiking in the hills south of my house in San Jose, CA. And there was a random rabbit hopping around on the lawn out front of the Law School the other night when I was walking back to my dorm.

Tom in NO

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:20 pm

and scorpions

You mean one of these  wink  ?! Taken at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum on our west coast roadie last summer:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/tmoore065/DSC03301.jpg?t=1205360266

Tom at MSY

Queso

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:23 pm

You Know You Live In A Desert When...

The humidity hits one percent (1%) pretty regularly.

Superfly

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 pm

The scariest critter to come inside my house was a Jerusalem Cricket.
This was years ago when we lived in Pasadena, California.

sprout5199

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:49 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
The scariest critter to come inside my house was a Jerusalem Cricket

Looks like a mole cricket. Man they can bite.

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 26):
Spiders scare me the most!

Try brake cleaner. My ex-wife hated them also,it will kill them instantly, shoots 10-20 feet, will take down a wasp mid-air, doesn't leave any residue behind except for the said bug. Use the non-enviro friendly kind, works better(hell why not, you're killing critters, so who cares if it is safe for the environment) .

Dan in Jupiter

Duff44

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:10 am

I've had 2 critter encounters in my yard...

I almost hit an opossum in my own driveway after driving home in a snowstorm (I initially thought the big one was one of my neighbor's cats). The thing was apparently stealing cat food that they had left on the porch for the cats, and took a liking to camping out under the enclosed porch.

The other thing we had were black hornets, which I had never seen before (common?). There was a mint plant growing in our yard, and the black hornets loved the white flowers on it. Easily 20-30 of them on the plant at one time.

Near where I work, it's a state-owned wooded area... so we get to see deer, turkeys, geese, and the occasional bear or bobcat (I've never seen one, others say they have). Probably the weirdest thing seen at work was an emu that escaped from a local farm which was running around for a couple days...

Fly2HMO

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:18 am

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 32):
Use the non-enviro friendly kind, works better(hell why not, you're killing critters, so who cares if it is safe for the environment) .

Also, a quick shot of WD-40 aimed through a lighter is great for eliminating black widows and their eggs, and any offspring that may have hatched, spiderwebs vaporize instantly. No residue or burn marks if done properly.

CastleIsland

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:47 am

https://www.airliners.net/uf/536882276/phptWjSqi.jpg

Looks like Phyllis Diller finally got that Brazilian wax she's been talking about...

TuffGong

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:20 am

My gramps was over one time and he went out to his car and saw what he thought was a large rope laying on the driveway, he goes to pick it up (bad eyes) and hes about a foot away and the "rope" slithered away. Turns out it was a Bull snake...not an actual pic of the one but just to give you an idea of their size..
Big version: Width: 500 Height: 352 File size: 193kb

We do have rattlers here so that was our first thought from size of it but obviously no rattle, and no Bull's are not poisonous.

CaptOveur

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:36 am

Called 911 to have the cops come and blow him away.

*shakes head*

RIXrat

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:58 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 37):
Called 911 to have the cops come and blow him away.

*shakes head*

OK, maybe not a wise choice, but what would you do if you'd just moved to SoCal from Pennsylvania, where the main thing was to watch out for poison ivy?

[edited for additional content]

Cheers,

[Edited 2008-03-13 13:14:19]

treebeard787

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:35 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 27):

What a great list and after living in Phoenix for the past 14 years I've found most of the list is pretty accurate.

In my family's last house which backed up to dessert, We have had many critters including Bark Scorpions, Centipede's and big Wolf Spiders, And we also had a 7ft long Diamond Back Rattler hanging out in our back yard, We also have had Coyotes pretty close to our house. Thankfully our newest house in Chandler only has ordinary crickets which our cat has fun with.

bristolflyer

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:03 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 27):
You know you live in AZ when:

You know you've been n Phoenix a long time when...

You start to think that Camelback mountain really does look like a camel's back.

I have found a few beasts in my house in downtown Phoenix, including:

Big version: Width: 320 Height: 240 File size: 30kb

But no snakes or scorpions thankfully.

ShyFlyer

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:15 am

Quoting Treebeard787 (Reply 39):
We also have had Coyotes pretty close to our house.

I've lived in the southwest all my life (nearly 30 years) and had never seen a coyote (but have heard them plenty) until two weeks ago, on Kirtland AFB of all places.