Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DeltaMD11
Topic Author

Are You Happy With Sprint Wireless?

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:13 pm

Ok so heres the deal: about a month ago I got an employee referral offer through a friend with Sprint PCS that offered me 500 minutes, free nights (after 7PM) and weekends, free mobile to mobile, unlimited data, and unlimited text messaging for $30 a month. I canceled my plan with AT&T which I was paying about $80 a month for. In a few months I'll recoup the contract cancellation fee with AT&T and this new plan with Sprint should start saving me some money. In the meantime I just have to eat the cancellation fee and how much I had to pay for my new phone (which I would highly recommend the Motorola Q9c to anyone by the way).

For those of you out there that have Sprint, I was wondering if you are happy with your service? For the cost that I'm paying I'm pretty satisfied but it doesn't seem like my service is as solid as AT&T. One of the cool things though is the Sprint roams on Verizon's network which will work underground here on the DC metro. I had a customer service meltdown with Sprint shortly after I got my first phone which stopped working after 5 days (a Motorola Q) and dealing with them on the phone was an absolute nightmare until I got my replacement phone (the Q9c) which has been great so far. I'm just curious to see what other Sprint PCS customers think, any opinions either way or good stories about their customer service?

jetstar

RE: Are You Happy With Sprint Wireless?

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:48 pm

I have been with Sprint for over 6 years and basically have had no major problems with their service. Occasionally a call gets dropped but otherwise the calls are real clear.
In some cities Sprint signals are real strong and in others the signal might not be as good, even where you are located in the city makes a difference.

I have the roaming package and it comes in handy when you can’t pick up a Sprint signal. Sprint is not in most of the Northwest except in larger cities, so then you have to use the roaming feature, Verizon is just about everywhere so you should be able to pick up a signal anyplace. But be aware, while Sprint does not state any limit you to how minutes you use for roaming, I was told by a Sprint Rep that they do not want to see more than half your minutes on roam and can start charging for roaming minutes if you constantly exceed their unstated limit.

BCAInfoSys

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:50 pm

When I moved to SAF, I found that the local Sprint service was complete sh*t. I took the $200 hit and switched to T-Mobile; and have been very happy ever since.  twocents 

JakeOrion

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:00 pm

I've had Sprint for well over 6 years now, and I've never had a problem with them as far as customer service or wireless (San Diego area.) Before Sprint, I had T-Mobile, and that lasted for about 30 seconds before I switched over. I have friends who swear by Verizon, T-Mobile, Cingular (now AT&T), etc etc. Its all a matter of preference and who pleases you the most.

KFLLCFII

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:40 pm

No complaints. I've been with them for about 5 years now, just recently re-signed for another 2 years, and got a free phone out of the deal (nothing fancy by any means, but hey...it makes phone calls, right?). Didn't even have to pay shipping or handling. I'll probably do the same in another 2 years, as I've been given no reason not to, thus far.

airportugal310

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:40 pm

I have a Blackberry through Sprint for work and it works fine. Nothing special, nothing bad.

Just works...

a380us

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:49 am

My phone with sprint is great but I feel that alot of the time i don't have service.

DCrawley

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:13 am

Quoting DeltaMD11 (Thread starter):

For those of you out there that have Sprint, I was wondering if you are happy with your service?

I have had been with Sprint since 1998. For the first 6 years, their service was unbeatable and their phone selection was undeniably advancing faster than any other carrier, their customer service was outstanding and did almost anything to accommodate you, and billing never made errors. However, these last several years things have really gone downhill. Sprint is not listening to what their customers want. Look at the phone selection: they now lag behind all major carriers in the US. Dealing with customer service is like talking to an ape. If you have Sprint, make sure you check your bill every month because in the last couple years, every several months they seem to add something to my plan and no one has called and asked for these services. Last month, they added the Power Vision pack @ $30/month and charged me for 2 months of it! I am getting fed up to the point that when my service contract is up, if things have not changed I am switching carriers. If I leave, they will be losing $1,920/year and a long-time loyal customer.

I had a customer service meltdown with Sprint shortly after I got my first phone which stopped working after 5 days (a Motorola Q) and dealing with them on the phone was an absolute nightmare until I got my replacement phone (the Q9c) which has been great so far.

Sprint's customer service only seems to get worse with time. Here is an interesting blog to read, including this letter from Sprint (which I would love to get):

I'm just curious to see what other Sprint PCS customers think, any opinions either way or good stories about their customer service?

Here is my current opinion, in no specific order:
 banghead   butthead   ill   liar   no   redflag   thumbsdown 

DeltaMD11
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:58 pm

Wow, I've heard of wireless companies dumping customers because of too much roaming (you can manually set your phone to roam only so it wont use your home network), but never dropping someone because they have too many customer service inquiries. Like I said, the service is great for the price-I'm paying about $50 less a month which is certainly very nice but at the same time there have been a couple of noticeable drawbacks. Their in-store customer service is EXCELLENT, however I'm dreading the day that I have to deal with them on the phone again. Thanks for the feedback so far guys, my suspicions are correct that it's pretty much a B-rate service but it seems to work out most of the time.

allstarflyer

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 7):
Look at the phone selection: they now lag behind all major carriers in the US

If they still have the Palm Treo, then that's a good phone on their side.

If you have Sprint, make sure you check your bill every month because in the last couple years, every several months they seem to add something to my plan and no one has called and asked for these services.

I was getting billed by them from 2 different directions - it was a classic example of a bureaucracy that didn't know what each hand was doing. Finally, only 1 bill was coming to me, and it was for the cancellation fee I'd already paid. I had to call them and tell them to dig into their computers for the info from a particular date and after literally several calls and a couple of hours or so on the phone, they finally got the clue. I haven't dealt with them since, don't plan to do so again and am sorry that my Virgin Mobile phone is carried by their service.

Personally, I'd go with AT&T if I had to go with a major carrier - at least their GSM technology is compatible (from what I hear) with the technology of several other countries.

Jpax

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:08 pm

No, sucks.

Signed,

NWA742

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:11 pm

I joined Sprint a little over two years ago and got in with a 2-year contract. The first year was decent, didn't have any major problems with billing, service, or coverage.

This last year, however, was a gigantic pain in the ass with them. They started charging me $5.30 a month for a gaming service charge on my Samsung phone. My phone came with 3 demo games on it that I had never used. After the first bill came with the $5.30 on it, I called them up and told them it was a mistake, and even deleted the demo games off my phone.

They offered to fix the error but did not offer to refund the $5.30 from the bill. I said screw it and paid. The next bill - there it is again. Another call - "we'll fix it." The next bill - there it is again. Another call - "we'll fix it."The next bill - there it is again. Another call - "we'll fix it."The next bill - there it is again. Another call - "we'll fix it." Finally towards the end of the 2-year contract they suddenly wake up and fix the billing error. I get in touch with corporate and after wasting enough of my time, get them to refund me $63.60 for the 12 months of incorrect charges.

But that wasn't all the fun - the second year has also been fun dealing with echoing phones, constantly dropped calls, and batteries losing their lifetimes. Last year on a trip to Seattle I did not have a SINGLE call that wasn't dropped at some point in the conversation.

Finally the 2 years is up and I'm shopping for another provider. I'm thinking about Verizon and the Voyager........hopefully I'll have better luck with them.

Sprint sucks.

-NWA742

[Edited 2008-03-12 15:32:24]

foppishbum

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:19 pm

I left Sprint and am happier with AT&T (because of the iPhone and UC Davis discount we get). The customer service so far is all right. Sprint pissed me off when I specifically told them I want to terminate the contract and pay the termination fee but they screwed up and still charged me for 3-4 months of monthly payments PLUS the early termination fee when I asked why I'm still receiving the bills...  Yeah sure

BR715-A1-30

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:11 pm

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 1):
I was told by a Sprint Rep that they do not want to see more than half your minutes on roam and can start charging for roaming minutes if you constantly exceed their unstated limit.

Cingular AT&T is like that as well. We had several customers come in, asking why they were recieving letters that told them their service was being terminated. We had to tell them that due to the high number of minutes used for roaming, we were not getting money for that, and were having to pay other GSM service providers for the use.

Here is an interesting blog to read, including this letter from Sprint (which I would love to get):

WOW!!! That's all I have to say, about that.

mham001

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:15 am

They've really been pissing me off with their website changes. Everytime I go there to pay my bill they added a new a hoop to jump through to where now I can't pay my bill because I can't sign in because I didn't do something, I forgot what now, but I can't do what they want unless I sign in....assholes. I did write them and told them that twice.