FreequentFlier
Topic Author

Massive Oil Field Found In The Dakotas?

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:24 am

This is being discussed in another thread, but probably warrants its own thread if true. The question is why has this been so hard to find in the news? Nothing on ABC, CBS, the usuals etc. You would think an oil discovery that could increase US reserves by TEN times in a country as large as ours would warrant a mention. Take this as just rumor for the time being. Had to do a thorough Google search just to find it.

http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news2.13s.html

"America is sitting on top of a super massive 200 billion barrel Oil Field that could potentially make America Energy Independent and until now has largely gone unnoticed. Thanks to new technology the Bakken Formation in North Dakota could boost America’s Oil reserves by an incredible 10 times, giving western economies the trump card against OPEC’s short squeeze on oil supply and making Iranian and Venezuelan threats of disrupted supply irrelevant.

In the next 30 days the USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) will release a new report giving an accurate resource assessment of the Bakken Oil Formation that covers North Dakota and portions of South Dakota and Montana. With new horizontal drilling technology it is believed that from 175 to 500 billion barrels of recoverable oil are held in this 200,000 square mile reserve that was initially discovered in 1951. The USGS did an initial study back in 1999 that estimated 400 billion recoverable barrels were present but with prices bottoming out at $10 a barrel back then the report was dismissed because of the higher cost of horizontal drilling techniques that would be needed, estimated at $20-$40 a barrel.

It was not until 2007, when EOG Resources of Texas started a frenzy when they drilled a single well in Parshal N.D. that is expected to yield 700,000 barrels of oil that real excitement and money started to flow in North Dakota. Marathon Oil is investing $1.5 billion and drilling 300 new wells in what is expected to be one of the greatest booms in Oil discovery since Oil was discovered in Saudi Arabia in 1938.

The US imported about 14 million barrels of Oil per day in 2007 , which means US consumers sent about $340 Billion Dollars over seas building palaces in Dubai and propping up unfriendly regimes around the World, if 200 billion barrels of oil at $90 a barrel are recovered in the high plains the added wealth to the US economy would be $18 Trillion Dollars which would go a long way in stabilizing the US trade deficit and could cut the cost of oil in half in the long run."

AirTranTUS

RE: Massive Oil Field Found In The Dakotas?

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:02 am

If we imported 14 billion barrels daily in 2007, we could be independent for 40 years with this oil field. This assumes no growth and that all oil could be harvested at a rate that would satisfy demand. In 40 years, I would expect many more people to be driving Hydrogen and Veggie Diesel cars (and others), so demand would be lower and the oil can be used for things with fewer alternatives, like JetA.
I love ASO!

Jetsgo

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:15 am

You won't hear it in the news simply because it is good news. And good news is not sensational like bad news. It won't sell as well as the story about 5 US soldiers killed in Baghdad posted on every papers front page. It's wrong.

With regards to the discovery, that is great! I really hope it can help drop our dependency on foreign oil. Prices of oil and gas at the pump are obviously getting way out of hand.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

baroque

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:21 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Thread starter):
"America is sitting on top of a super massive 200 billion barrel Oil Field that could potentially make America Energy Independent and until now has largely gone unnoticed. Thanks to new technology the Bakken Formation in North Dakota could boost America’s Oil reserves by an incredible 10 times, giving western economies the trump card against OPEC’s short squeeze on oil supply and making Iranian and Venezuelan threats of disrupted supply irrelevant.

No it is not. No it does not.

This refers to a scoping study of resources. No reserves at all have been found.

No trump cards. Not even any production.

If you imported 14 billion barrels daily in 2007, where did it come from, how did you pay for it (est cost 1 trillion per day) and where the hell did you put it? Daily production for the WOLRD was just over 80 MILLION barrels per day (80 mmbpd).

The Bakken is as tight as the proverbial fishes rear end. 200 billion might be the amount of oil theoretically generated from the Bakken, although without borrowing a certain a.net members "fag" packet and doing some sums, even that seems a tad high. Assuming it was, then assume a migration efficiency of about 10% (it is tight) reservoiring maybe 20% efficient and recoverable oil about 40% gives potential recoverable reserves of about 1.6 billion - yes that is about right. So discover it all and it will last the US for let me see, where IS that fag packet, ah yes, all of 80 days.

Next.

FreequentFlier
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:29 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 3):
The Bakken is as tight as the proverbial fishes rear end. 200 billion might be the amount of oil theoretically generated from the Bakken, although without borrowing a certain a.net members "fag" packet and doing some sums, even that seems a tad high. Assuming it was, then assume a migration efficiency of about 10% (it is tight) reservoiring maybe 20% efficient and recoverable oil about 40% gives potential recoverable reserves of about 1.6 billion - yes that is about right. So discover it all and it will last the US for let me see, where IS that fag packet, ah yes, all of 80 days.

Next.

Are you in the petroleum business? You sound very knowledgeable.

PS I was quoting from the article, not writing my own opinion, in case there was confusion there.

AirTranTUS

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:47 am

If you imported 14 billion barrels daily in 2007, where did it come from, how did you pay for it (est cost 1 trillion per day) and where the hell did you put it? Daily production for the WOLRD was just over 80 MILLION barrels per day (80 mmbpd).

It's actually 14 million barrels per day. That's an m, not a b.

Next.

Redo your calculations with the above information. It will make sense.
I love ASO!

L-188

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:48 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 2):
You won't hear it in the news simply because it is good news.

Your damm skippy on that.

At this time I should point out that the life of the Kuparuk Oilfield was pegged at 2 Billion barrels over it's life when it was developed. It hit that mark two years ago, and is still putting out and expected two for the next 15 or so.

Point being, is that usually most estimates are wrong on the low side because they can't take into effect technology that will be developed during the life of that field, or the knowledge gained on how to manage the resource.

A lot of the credit goes to steerable drilling, which was perfected up in the Alaska fields. Driving from Anchorage to Homer this weekend, I passed three different sites that where hitting gas reserves way the hell out in the middle of Cook Inlet from the the west shore.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jetjack74

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:12 am

If Clinton gets into office, they'll designate it a natural wildlife refuge and put the brakes on this
Made from jets!

ACDC8

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:17 am

I think the real question is, what will it do to prices at the pump? Absolutely nothing, they'll still be climbing as they have over the last few years ....  Wink
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

NWA742

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:44 am

Combine it with oil in the Gulf, Alaska, underneath the Colorado plateau, and we probably have more than enough oil domestically to last over a century.

Man how happy it would make me if we took the effort in providing our own oil and telling the rest of the oil-producing world to FUCK........OFF...........

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

baroque

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:58 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 4):
Are you in the petroleum business? You sound very knowledgeable.

PS I was quoting from the article, not writing my own opinion, in case there was confusion there.

Yes but alas not that knowledgeable in answer to your questions! I know you were quoting from the article and I hope it did not sound as if I blamed you. I do blame newspapers however. If you remember I was similarly down on an article that announced that a German/Indonesian group had "found" 250 billion barrels of "reserves" new Aceh in Sumatera without ever drilling a well. By contrast the 8 or 10 wells already drilled in the area (?by Phillips) were all dry. So the Bakken is way ahead of that, it does produce oil from know fields.

This sort of thing usually happens when someone is trying to sell a few leases. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The reasons the Bakken is tight are complex. It probably always had relatively low permeability but the rocks have also been up to moderately high temperatures from the extensive published data on the Bakken. This causes some minerals to dissolve and recrystallize as cements that tend even more to block fluid flow.

It is correct that horizontal completions have transformed the Bakken wells as producers and kept them economic long after vertical wells would have been abandoned.

A few definitions might help.

RESOURCE - term related to deposits (could be oil,gas, coal or minerals) that may exist in an area. The existence is not proved (there is a series of qualifiers to show how much definition exists). Most newspaper articles pick up resource numbers and use the term reserves, which is simply incorrect and highly misleading. In addition to needing to be proved to exist, the additional issue of cost of extraction needs to be favourable before resources can be considered reserves.

RESERVES - deposits of oil, gas coal or minerals that has been demonstrated to exist according to set exploration rules, these are published and you must conform to them for reports to be acceptable to the various stock exchanges. The most commonly used set of rules is the JORC code
http://www.jorc.org/main.php
There is an equivalent set of rules for petroleum where 1P, 2P and 3P reserves are distinguished.

The figures for the Bakken are probably potential resources, not even "real" resources.

It is true that for some fields, ultimate production exceeds initial estimates of reserves. However, it is also useful to point out that initial estimates for some other fields are lowered, in many cases by a considerable amount. When the Kaparuk field was first defined, it is my understanding that no oil/water contact was defined but its location was known by 1983 (Carman and Hardwick, Bull AAPG). Where that is the case, the lateral extent may be difficult to establish. But you cannot extrapolate one happy experience to assume life is always that wonderful!!

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 8):
I think the real question is, what will it do to prices at the pump? Absolutely nothing, they'll still be climbing as they have over the last few years ....

checkmark 

Queso

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:06 pm

This is news? I have had family in Williston, ND since the early 80's and their livelihood has always been oil-based. I even remember going to an oil industry trade show in Sidney, MT in 1982 and seeing how it compared to the big oil show we have every 2 years in Odessa, TX. Williston's economy goes up and down based on the oil market, just like the economy here in the Permian Basin of West Texas does.

Thanks to new technology

The title of the thread might be considered misleading because the real story here is the new technology being used to recover oil from existing oil fields. The same sort of thing happened here in the Permian Basin when directional drilling began being used and also when injection techniques were introduced.

I'll be impressed when "North Dakota light crude" becomes a major grade of crude oil and it's price is quoted in the same breath as "West Texas Intermediate" or "Brent Crude". Until then, this is a bunch of hype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crude_oil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Texas_Intermediate

Dougloid

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:05 pm

On my trip to Kentucky I drove through the middle of a small oil field about 40 miles east of St. Louis....pumpjacks and one lunger John Deere engines....heavenly.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

baroque

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:31 pm

http://seekingalpha.com/article/6093...ost-dutchmen-mine-of-the-oil-patch
Is a slightly longer version of the Saudi Arabia waits in the Dakotas story.

For those who wonder what is going on, could I suggest reading:
https://www.dmr.nd.gov/downloads/USGSOilandGasAssessmentProject.pdf

P3 shows the difference between resource and reserves in graphic form.

P10 shows estimates of undiscovered resources (but technically recoverable IF they exist) for the major petroleum basins in the lower 48 and Alaska.

Somewhere in the 1995 NOGA information is the following (I cannot find it but a colleague tells me it is there):
".......USGS assessment of Bakken resources ....... the 1995 USGS National Oil and Gas Assessment. In the 1995 NOGA, the mean estimated undiscovered technically recoverable resources for the Bakken were approximately 150 MMBO (million). " But this also ..."The 1995 NOGA did mention that the Bakken oil generation potential could amount to billions of barrels, although this is quite distinct from technically recoverable resources."

The keywords are "generation potential". That is the amount of oil that may have been generated from the Bakken, but you then need to do the %,%,% calculation that I did in reply 3. Bearing in mind how much I know of the Bakken, my 1.5 billion is THE SAME as the USGS 150 million from 1995 which I did not know about when I wrote reply 3. The USGS had accurate data, I only had ballpark estimates to work from. I am pretty pleased that I got so close!!

So about 10 days imports, not xx years folk. Sorry. Back to ruining someone else's day.  bigthumbsup 

L-188

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:33 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 13):
So about 10 days imports, not xx years folk. Sorry

I hate that comparison, because I don't think it is honest. Not directed at you, but it is one the granola crunchers use all the time.

It isn't realistic that you are going to pump all the oil out in 10 days, it will be a percentage removed over the course of a couple of decades.

N1120A

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:06 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 1):
so demand would be lower and the oil can be used for things with fewer alternatives, like JetA.

Jet A can pretty much be replaced with the same things diesel can.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

L-188

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:21 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 15):
so demand would be lower and the oil can be used for things with fewer alternatives, like JetA.

Agreed, all diesels and jet fuels are part of the kerosene family. Brewing a bio-diesel as a turbine fuel shouldn't be any great trick.

One trade off is the generally lower energy in the fuel, which is one of the critisim of bio-fuels. Means more frequent fuel ups. But hey, maybe Shannon, Ireland and Anchorage, Alaska will gain back their former roles as fueling stops for trans oceanic flights....not particularly a bad thing.

N1120A

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:26 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 16):
Brewing a bio-diesel as a turbine fuel shouldn't be any great trick.

VS and Boeing are already experimenting with it.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 16):

One trade off is the generally lower energy in the fuel, which is one of the critisim of bio-fuels. Means more frequent fuel ups.

Given that they are getting 100 mpg out of bio-diesel Hummers, I don't see how it should be an issue.

UH60FtRucker

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:32 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):

Given that they are getting 100 mpg out of bio-diesel Hummers, I don't see how it should be an issue.

100mpg? Do you have any evidence of this claim?

I am aware of the guy who is using a turbine engine, running of biofuel, that gets between 40-60mpg. But 100mpg? Who has achieved this?

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

dl021

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:44 am

I don't care how much oil they pull out of the ground....until we significantly increase refining capacity we aren't going to ding the price of fuel.

We haven't built a new refinery in a very long time and the expansions of existing ones can only do so much.

It would be nice to be energy independent until we have the alternative fuels and systems in place, but I'm not holding my breath.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

N1120A

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:11 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 19):
until we significantly increase refining capacity we aren't going to ding the price of fuel.

There is significant capacity out there that is not being used

We haven't built a new refinery in a very long time

If "we" means the oil companies, you are right. There are plenty of approved refinery plans out there.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 18):

100mpg? Do you have any evidence of this claim?

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 18):

I am aware of the guy who is using a turbine engine, running of biofuel, that gets between 40-60mpg.

Same guy. Johnathan Goodwin. 60 mpg using a jet engine (which is what we are talking about here) and 100 mpg using a turbine-electric hybrid.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120/motorhead-messiah.html

UH60FtRucker

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Same guy. Johnathan Goodwin. 60 mpg using a jet engine (which is what we are talking about here) and 100 mpg using a turbine-electric hybrid.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120/motorhead-messiah.html

Thanks for the article.

I just finished reading it, and nowhere did it say that he runs a Hummer with over 100mpg. He talked about a Lincoln Continental with this number, but not a Hummer - as you claimed.

Do you have any other articles showing a Hummer achieving 100mpg?

-UH60

baroque

Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:59 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 14):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 13):
So about 10 days imports, not xx years folk. Sorry

I hate that comparison, because I don't think it is honest. Not directed at you, but it is one the granola crunchers use all the time.

It isn't realistic that you are going to pump all the oil out in 10 days, it will be a percentage removed over the course of a couple of decades.

I am all too acutely aware of what rates of extraction can be achieved. As I mentioned earlier the Bakken is as tight as a certain part of a fish, so you are never going to get spectacular production, not even from horizontal completions.

But when someone posits that the Dakota oil would represent 40 years of current consumption, the simplest way to indicate the difference is to give the equivalent real time. Both 40 years and 10 days can be understood, 250 billion barrels is a bit more tricky unless you deal with billion barrel fields every day. I doubt if too many could accurately specify their nearest 150 million barrel oilfield! Not sure I can although I can offer the nearest really strange 150 million barrel field, Tirrawarra in SAus.  Big grin  Wink

RJdxer

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 15):

Jet-A, while a form of diesel is much more refined, both as a product and as a delivered substance. It has to be super dry. If you run a plain diesel engine on Jet-A you'll end up shortening it's life. They are getting there but it may take another additive to make it work.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
VS and Boeing are already experimenting with it.

GE, Pratt, and RR would be the lead experimenters in that field.

I don't care how much oil they pull out of the ground....until we significantly increase refining capacity we aren't going to ding the price of fuel.

checkmark  We actually import a significant amount of refined gasoline into this country.

If "we" means the oil companies, you are right. There are plenty of approved refinery plans out there.

Where? They can't get one built in the Houston area.

Quoting Baroque (Reply 22):
But when someone posits that the Dakota oil would represent 40 years of current consumption

Yikes, you continue a misquote.

The US imported about 14 million barrels of Oil per day in 2007

If we imported 14 billion barrels daily in 2007

If you imported 14 billion barrels daily in 2007,

Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

baroque

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:03 pm

If we imported 14 billion barrels daily in 2007, we could be independent for 40 years with this oil field.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 23):
But when someone posits that the Dakota oil would represent 40 years of current consumption

Yikes, you continue a misquote.

Yikes you have yet to read the first reply to the thread starter.

All I did was try to point out in what I thought was a form of irony that could be understood that if 14 billion barrels a day were being imported, I would like to know where they were and who was paying for them. I still think that "could be independent for 40 years with this oil field" is the equivalent of "would represent 40 years of current consumption".

I will use the irony button next time.

If you are going to try to correct ...........

Dougloid

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:10 pm

I am all too acutely aware of what rates of extraction can be achieved. As I mentioned earlier the Bakken is as tight as a certain part of a fish, so you are never going to get spectacular production, not even from horizontal completions.

Perhaps you ought to explain to the crew exactly what a tight formation is. I know, but maybe these guys don't.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

RJdxer

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 24):
All I did was try to point out in what I thought was a form of irony that could be understood that if 14 billion barrels a day were being imported,

Unfortunately, it looked that way to you because you knew what you were trying to say, but to others.

I will use the irony button next time

Good idea.

If you are going to try to correct ...........

If you are going to use irony, especially when others take a cue off your misquote.........
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

dl021

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:36 pm

There is significant capacity out there that is not being used

Where? Source?

Source? Which ones have been approved and where are they? What restrictions have been placed on them that prevents them from being built?

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 25):
Perhaps you ought to explain to the crew exactly what a tight formation is. I know, but maybe these guys don't.

Does it mean what it sounds like it means? (running a 10ga. needle through a 28ga. hole)?

baroque

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 25):

Ok, good point Dougloid, but strewth you hit on the weak spot of just about all geos. And those who do not go white at the thought of explaining it, are the ones that should.

Concepts.

Porosity - void space within sedimentary rocks. Primary pore space is highest in poorly compacted mud rocks where it can be over 60%. Clean medium sands are about 20%, depending on matrix and grain shape and sorting. As rocks are buried more deeply, the pore space decreases and beyond about 5,000 m of cover, porosities are very low, but because the rocks are brittle fracture porosity develops. There are other forms of secondary porosity which I will omit.

Porosity is good because that is where oil and gas can be stored.

The pore space is initially full of water, salt or fresh depending on the depositional setting. When biogenic gas (near surface), oil (usually in the range 1.5 km to 4 kms depth) and thermogenic gas (once formation temperatures get to about 140 C) can fill the pore spaces.

However full of oil or gas a rock might be, it is not of commerical interest unless the fluids will flow out to a well bore.

Permeability is a measure of the ease with which a rock will transmit fluids. Or the classic line for students is it is a measure of the ability of a rock to pass water!

Permeability is measured in Darcies, a clean uncemented sand has a permeability close to a Darcy. Most rocks are down to a small fraction and usually are expressed in millidarcies. Essentially, below about 20 millidarcies, fluid flow is insufficient for oil to be produced. Ghawar field averages 617 millidarcies.

Gas production can be economic down to very low permeabilities and the production of gas from "tight shales" and from coal beds is essentially keeping many Americans from being very cold in winter.

Whatever your porosity, you can only produce the fluids if you have permeability. So to that extent permeability is not just better, it is essential.

The Bakken probably had a very high initial porosity but during compaction most of this has been lost with extensive secondary mineral deposition blocking primary pores. The high organic matter content also tends to block porosity as compaction occurs. Permeability of the Bakken has probably been low at all stages, and is now VERY VERY low - hence it is TIGHT.

Extensive oil generation has occurred over most of the Bakken (see Leigh Price). It also appears that fluid flow out of the Bakken was inhibited by the impermeable (very low permeability) nature of the overlying and underlying beds.

This has meant that fluids have become trapped within the Bakken leading to what is known as overpressuring - formation fluid pressures greater than the weight of the overlying rocks. Compaction overpressuring appears, in the case of the Bakken to have been increased by pressures associated with oil generation. This has lead to microfracturing of the Bakken.

The classic theory of source rocks has it that a high proportion of the oil migrates out of the source into adjacent reservoirs. The Price theory of the Bakken, is that in spite of the low internal permeability (that is the Bakken is "TIGHT"), the oil generated within the Bakken has all migrated out, but because of the blocking effect of the overlying and underlying units, it is still adjacent to the Bakken . Prices argues it can be produced.

Price worked for the USGS, but his opus has not been published by the USGS. I will stop at that point except to add in point form.

1. The Bakken has generated oil.

2. It is easy to show experimentally, that the Bakken has very low permeability - less than a millidarcy.

3. Price's concepts are debatable.

4. Horizontal drilling will undoubtedly be a major factor for Bakken production.

5. Fracturing of reservoirs, acidization and acid fraccing will also be important (this can be physical induced by pressure in the well-bore or associated with hydrochloric acid to remove carbonate cements).

Because of the low permeability, most Bakken wells will be high cost to develop - you get low production for your money.

dl021

Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:07 pm

So...my description was relatively correct? Because you lost me at Darcy....I started remembering a girl I once knew and stopped with the big words!  Wink

baroque

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:51 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 29):
So...my description was relatively correct? Because you lost me at Darcy....I started remembering a girl I once knew and stopped with the big words!

I did say that permeability is a minefield.  Wow! With the Bakken it is more like trying to put a needle where there is no hole at all.  thumbsdown 

UH60FtRucker

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 21):
Do you have any other articles showing a Hummer achieving 100mpg?

N1120A, should I consider your silence on this request, as indication that there are no other articles? And that you were wrong, when you said there are Hummers getting over 100mpg?

-UH60

baroque

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:02 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 30):
With the Bakken it is more like trying to put a needle where there is no hole at all. thumbsdown

Or looking for a Hummer that does 100 mpg!!!  duck