|Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 64):|
I'd prefer that instead of big tax breaks for these people, that money went to help fund job training programs for poorer Americans, so they can get themselves out of the cycle of being poor.
In my job I routinely encounter homeless people. Doing this has made me even more willing to just throw them to the dogs for various reasons.
1. Many are drug addicted, and CHOOSE not to seek free help
2. Many have diagnosed mental problems, and CHOOSE not to take their medication- which they can get for free through government assistance or any number of local or national charities if they want it
3. Many have undiagnosed mental problems, and CHOOSE to not seek free help- which they can get for free through existing government programs or litterally hundreds of local and national charities.
4. Think panhandlers are poor? They ALWAYS have money for booze and cigarettes. If they saved their money, and maybe bought food they could be off the streets in a few weeks and in government assisted housing using programs that already exist and have funding.
5. Think people on welfare don't get enough help? Ask a city cop about the last trailer or housing project apartment he went into. He will tell you it probably had a 60in plasma TV
and better cable than he has at home- but the kids hadn't eaten in a week.
6. Almost every homeless person I have encountered (hundreds) has family that once cared about them. However, the bum cared more about his booze, meth, crack, heroin, etc than he did about his family or getting help. In a few cases with our frequent flyers we have tried to find said family, and been successful. However, the family only wants them back if they agree to get help. 99 out of 100 bums don't want the help, they would rather stay on the drugs. With our Diamond, platinum elite frequent flyer club member we actually convinced her father to come get her and force her to get help: That lasted about a month and she was back.
If you doubt any of the charities exist just ask a cop or an ER
nurse. They have access volumes of printed information on state, local, and national charities with phone numbers and everything else on how to get help IF
SOMEONE WANTS IT
. Someone just has to decide they want to stop living off handouts and take the help. We have handfulls of the brochures in the trunks of our patrol cars and we always offer them- and get turned down.
This country does more for poor people than most developed nations and that is why we have so many poor people. They can get by just fine without having to do a damn thing and taking our handouts. So what do you want to do? Punish the people who do work.
Anyone who thinks we need to put more money into social welfare needs to spend a week on midnight shift in the slums with either the police or the paramedics. The free housing, the free food, the low level jobs, the education assistance it is all already out there. Someone just has to WANT to go get it. They never do go get it- it is far less work to sleep under a bridge, drink Mogden David 20/20 and hold up a sign at an intersection all day.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.