Mike89406
Topic Author

Whats Your Ancestory Background

Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:23 am

Very simply put and are any of you related to anyone famous or significant?

My fathers surname goes back to England
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c/qx/brotherton-coat-arms.htm

My mothers name derives from England and I'm also told that I am related to Sir Isaac Newton, and Wayne Newton is a 4th or 5th cousin    however I never met him my grandfather has.
http://www.houseofnames.com/fc.asp?sId=&s=newton

Branching off from my family tree I'm also related to http://www.houseofnames.com/fc.asp?sId=&s=Allen

In summary I have history dating back to the medieval days and possibly knights or lords. There is a tidbit about Scotland but I don't know how precise the Coat of Arms are in that manner.

I would perhaps like to visit my family's castle someday but haven't pinpointed where the location(s) are.

[Edited 2008-03-12 22:23:32]

copaair737

RE: Whats Your Ancestory Background

Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:50 am

I can trace mine to the time of Rome.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

fxramper

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:03 am

I'm 1/4 Irish and 1/4 Scotch. The rest is English/French/etc.

Confuscius

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:11 am

Ain't I a stinker?

KL773ER

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:13 am

Dutch, Irish, Norwegian, Scottish..... and in my former life, Italian as I also like fast cars, especially the Lamborghini.

As far as claiming anything to anyone, I don't ... However ... my father told me that his family's history dates back to King Robert I (of Bruce/Scotland) and is the family clan. Personally, I don't hold any claim, and never will, to the "expired" throne, however, it's nice to know that his family has discovered these genealogical records.

I don't hold any relation or connection to modern day famous people who have my last name in anyway. I will say, though, the '80s pop vocalist (turned French chanson singer), Belinda Carlisle currently does look a lot like my mother when she was back in High School. That is a compliment to the both of them.  Smile

-KL

TSS

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:26 am

My father's surname goes back to County Cork in Ireland.

My mother's family originally came from both Ireland and England.

Both sides of my family have lived in the US for well over 200 years, so any relation I have to the UK is genealogically archaic.

[Edited 2008-03-12 23:28:27]
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Doona

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:45 am

On my fathers side, well, they're basically sheep farmers from Co. Kerry, Ireland.

Haven't really done the research to find out more, but I have done so on my mothers side, together with my mom. The oldest ancestor we could find was a blacksmith named Solken Träben (the last name means wooden leg), who worked as a swordsmith for the army in the mid-1500's. Apparently lost his leg in some war in the baltic states.

Then it's pretty boring up until the early 1700s, when a Charles XII returned from Turkey after being defeated by the Russians in the Ukraine. Apparently, a bunch of Turkish dignitaries came with, and one of the members of said dignataries' retinue (a servant, or guard, we're not sure) met and married a barmaid (I'm guessing that "barmaid" also doubles as "whore", but nothing is confirmed) in Stockholm, and that's where basically everyone on my mother's side of the family has dark brown hair.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

kmh1956

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:59 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 2):
1/4 Scotch.

If that's the case, then you should know that Scotch is a beverage....Scottish is the nationality.

American/Irish on my mother's side, with a branch that goes back to the Norman invasion in 1066, along with the possibility of Native American (Shoshone, we think)....haven't researched the connections of the last two completely.
Canadian/Scottish on my dad's side...MacLean clan of Duart, in fact, on the Scottish side.

But above all, Bermudians since the 1600s.....

[Edited 2008-03-13 05:00:17]

[Edited 2008-03-13 05:00:52]
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

flashflyguy

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:18 pm

Australian "Royalty" here -- we go back to the convicts (from England) on my fathers side. I'm 6th generation Australian on my fathers side. My mothers parents were English as well, although they were more recent arrivals and all their kids were born here, so I'm only 2nd generation from that side.

signol

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:27 pm

I'm English, but from:
my surname ends in -son
I'm tall and blond
I'm from the area of the country known as the "Danelaw" in (ancient) history,
I conclude that I have some Scandinavian blood in me  Smile

My wife, however is from South Africa. Her family were part of the 1820 settlers from (Northern) Ireland and Scotland (Otter Ferry). She's also related to the Brontë sisters (of literature fame).

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

CaptOveur

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:45 pm

When white met bread

Seriously though its pretty much a mix of everything European.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

LHStarAlliance

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:10 pm

Well mine is pretty interesting

Mother : Her last name is Dame

I can follow it until ~1400 .

My oldest Ancestor is Jonge LEVE he was born in ~ 1390 in Nordstrand .

His son :

Laurens Leve :

He became a coat of arms for his family of the King Cristian I , it was approved by the Pope Pius II , suddelny he was thrown into jail and freed again . He refused to participate in the revolt against the King .

http://www.ahnenundfriesen.de/html/d0005/g0000513.html#I16535

Henirch Dame was the administrator of the Lands of the Danish - Norwegian King , he married Aghate von Leven . His son
Friedrich Dame was born in 1567 and he went to the Herlufsholm School , after that he studied in Orleans . Imagine 500 years ago studying in Orleans ! Thats impressive ! He had 3 sons , and thats our Problem we don't know of what son we descent .

Father :

MY Grand-Grandfather was a businessman he went all through Europe , he lived in Lithuania Russia and went to China that was about 100 years ago .It's said the we descent of the Baron of Oeyenhausen My grandmother was born in Russia , but both Parents are Germans .
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

SAS A340

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:23 pm

On my mother,s side there are just Swedes as far as i know, al tough half of them moved to the US, and my father was 5,th generation from Belgium.....Can track it to a man named Jean Godou 1627.
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

CXfirst

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:25 pm

100% Norwegian. Not too many records back, can find names quite far back, but not much more.

-CXfirst

andaman

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:26 pm

I took part to the National Geographic's Genographic Project:
https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/

I learnt my DNA (from father's side) has travelled to Finland from Central/North-Asia, as far as from Western-China nowadays.
It could explain some darker, kind of Asian features in my family. My brother lives in Vancouver and he has been asked if he has any Chinese roots. I myself look more like Russian perhaps.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

TSS

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:49 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):
Very simply put and are any of you related to anyone famous or significant?

Erm... my surname is more "infamous" than "famous", to be honest. Feuding families, a well-known prohibition-era rum-runner, a cattle baron, and an actor known for his work in silent-era western films all share my last name.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Boeing744

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:53 pm

My heritage is pretty much all Scottish... a hint of Irish and English, but mostly Glaswegian.

TWFirst

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:37 pm

I'm 100% white trash.

25% Irish, 75% German/Prussian... although... still researching the origin of my last name. It's the name of a profession in English, but we're not English...it's clearly an Anglicization. One bit of research I found says it's derived from the Dutch word for leather worker (how appropriate  Wink) or tanner. This original word is a common surname in the Netherlands, Belgium and part of Germany... so perhaps this makes sense. The Germanic surnames of the rest of my paternal and maternal ancestors are clearly German/Prussian.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

imiakhtar

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:06 am

100% Pakistani.

In a real messed up way, both of my parents (like a lot of other Pakistanis) were related before marriage (cousins in my parents' case), My family is part of the Janjua ( not Janjaweed  Wink ) rajput clan/tribe and therefore we use Raja as a hereditary title, and unfortunatly, we may only marry into other families with the "Raja" title. The clan is famous for being a "warrior-like" race since before the Mughal empires of the 16th Century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janjua

My own family has had a long history in the military with my great-grandparents fighting the Japanese in Burma, my uncle KIA in the 1971 war with India and my other uncle who is a former UN peacekeeper is now fighting the Taliban on the Afghan-Pak border. The only other famous Janjua Rajput I can think of is Amir Khan.
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

NeilYYZ

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:12 am

I was born in Canada, mother in the States (although moved to Canada at a young age) and my father in Canada. Beyond that, don't know, don't care.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

EL-AL

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:15 am

My grandparents from my father side were born in Western Poland (the borders before WW2), passed the war in Poland (both in German work camps), and after the Holocaust moved illegally to British mandatory Israel, in 1946. They Married in Israel in 1949.

My grandparents from my mother side lived in the Eastern side of Poland (today in Ukraine) and passed the war in CCCP/USSR (my grandmother as a refugee and my grandfather as a soldier in the red army). They got married in a refugee camp in Germany in 1947, moved to Israel in 1949.

My parents got married in 1983, and I was born 2 years later.
every day is a good day to fly

N1120A

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:17 am

1/2 Iranian, 1/4 French, 1/4 French Canadian. Jewish (through the mother, all the way), Moslem and Catholic.

My father immigrated from Iran in 1976, my mother grew up in Boston. Her mother immigrated from France after meeting my grandfather, an American GI with 100% French Canadian blood that traces to 2 brothers who immigrated from France in the early 19th Century. I was born and bred in Southern California.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Toast

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:27 am

Jewish, plus a mix of just about all nationalities found in the former German, Austro-Hungarian, and Russian Empires. Fascism killed most of my family, and Communism dispersed the remainder throughout the world, from SoCal to the Siberian Far East. In other words, I don't know most of my family, and my relatives around the world don't know I exist. Contact was mostly lost after WWII. The folks on Facebook who have the same rare surname as I are almost certainly my relatives, but I never felt the urge to contact them just because we share some DNA.
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

Yellowstone

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:35 am

I'm a quarter Quebecois (via my mom's mother), somewhere between an eighth and a sixteenth Welsh (via my mom's father), and the rest English (via my dad and my mom's father). My ancestors have lived in the US for quite some time, though. If you trace back the male line from my mom's father, you reach someone who wrote a letter of support on behalf of one of the defendants in the Salem Witch Trials (1692, for those of you needing a brush-up on early American history). My dad's ancestors were in the US in the colonial era as well. As I tell people, I'm about 1/4 French Canadian and about 3/4 WASP.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

SmithAir747

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 am

My ancestry: Just look up at the stars--that's where I'm from!  Wink

Seriously, I'm Irish-American, first generation.

My biological parents came over from Ireland to do their sabbatical at Indiana University, Bloomington, IN. They were professors.

So I happened to be born in Indiana, and was immediately given up for adoption due to my serious medical problems (Treacher Collins syndrome), was a ward of the state for 3 years, and was finally adopted in 1978 by a family in Fort Wayne, IN.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

dragon-wings

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:35 am

Is there any free websites that traces your ancestory? All I know about me is that I am Italian.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

copaair737

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:36 am

www.ancestry.com

But I think you got to pay for that.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

a380us

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:13 am

Hungarian is where I fall
www.JandACosmetics.com

1stfl94

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:21 am

Part Hugenot Belgian and the rest is all English (I think)

Rara

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:32 am

Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 28):
Part Hugenot Belgian and the rest is all English (I think)

Yes, I can trace some of my father's ancestors back to Huguenots from southern France. That's the only foreign influence that I know of, all the rest seems to be German.

My ancestor who left France for Dresden is also the grandfather of Theodor Fontane.

(Whom you don't need to know).
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Queso

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:37 am

110% U.S. American. Period.

Dougloid

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:14 am

On my father's side, German, a little Scotch and N'wawlins Acadian
On my mother's side, Irish Canadian from Nova Scotia-Gallaghers to be sure. I bet I got shirttail relatives all over the place.

My kids are American mutts like me. Irish and French Canadian on their mother's side which explains why they're all crazy hotheads. Come to think of it we all are.

I mean ALL of us. One big happy dysfunctional family.

Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

threeifbyair

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:51 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 30):

So there are at least two of us!

I don't identify with any other nationality. Some people can't seem to fathom that.

northwestair

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:56 am

On the Father side he is full Polski and my mother is Full Czech, both First born in America. My Father married someone that wasn't Polish which was a little weird to my Grandparents since everyone married someone from the same Village. I believe my Grandparents were born in a Village of Slawecin Poland

[Edited 2008-03-13 21:00:49]
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

Mike89406
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 am

Quoting ThreeIfByAir (Reply 32):
Quoting Queso (Reply 30):

So there are at least two of us!

I don't identify with any other nationality. Some people can't seem to fathom that.

I am 150% American and proud of it, however the intention of this post was to solicit conversation about where our roots originated or some history behind it, and I'm not saying I Identify or not with another nationality. I find it intriguing to know where my ancestors come from originally, does that mean I walk around with a English or Irish flag proclaiming I am such? Of course not.

I understand both of your points and I agree with your assesments however the thread wasn't about what nationality do you consider yourself now. It is in fact what the thread suggests a little bit of history. If you consider yourself American thats fine so do I.

Hope that helps.

N1120A

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:40 am

I don't identify with any other nationality.

Nationality and ancestry are two different things.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

PlymSpotter

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:31 am

I know zilch about my father's side, but on my mother's side the family can be traced to various places around the UK, one of which contained so many of our ancestors that they actually named it after us - Gaston Green somewhere North of London (although there is the possibility the it was visa versa as we're only about 90% sure how the name came about). Before that the line goes back to the South coast and before that to France, from where my ancestors fled (like typical Frenchmen  duck  ) during the revolution and, in an attempt to remain inconspicuous, we adopted Gaston, the French first name, as our surname. Further back than that and things get a bit sketchy, the rest of my family have a greater interest and have done a lot of research to the extent that we know roughly, if not exactly, where we used to live - not terribly grand, but we owned a lot of land which probably caused the expulsion during the revolution.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

HAWK21M

Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:14 am

Ferreira is linked to Portugal & India
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

KPWM

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm a descendant of Charlemagne. That's all I know.

MarSciGuy

Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:08 pm

Irish, Alsace - Lorranian (no idea what timeframe that part was from so can't say which nationality they were then) Yugoslav (Can't remember what part of the then Kingdom she emigrated from) and probably Scots-Irish as well.
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

jcs17

Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:17 pm

I am English and Dutch on my father's side, with my last name coming from England. My grandfather arrived in New York in the early 1930s from South Africa by way of a couple of years in Rotterdam where he met my grandmother. He was actually born in Durban, but his parents were from Birmingham. Most of my English ancestors were miners. My grandmother was born in Alkmaar, but moved to Rotterdam early in her life. Her last name was French, so I assume there is some French blood in me too.

My mother's family came from Sweden in the mid-1870s, interestingly the entire family (40+ people) moved to the US from Falun, Dalarna. Through some marriages in the US, I also have Danish (my mother's last name), Finnish, and Czech on that side of the family.

I guess I am a mutt.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

usair320

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:53 pm

1/2 Spanish, 1/4 Italian and 1/4 Irish

EWRCabincrew

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Mutt here. English, Scottish, German (from Prussia), Polish and Irish. My husband is 100% French Canadian.
You can't cure stupid

extspotter

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:05 pm

I have traced my family tree back to the 1830s on both sides of my family. My dad's side was originally from Tipperary in Ireland, however left ireland in the 1840s because of the famine. They moved to Birmingham, where they lived up until the 1970s when my Grandparents moved to Torquay. My Mother's side is less interesting. They came from the same area as we live in now, and they were farmers, like they are now.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

skidmarks

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:01 pm

My fathers family came from Scotland originally (how embarressing) but were thrown out. The family name was Graham which they turned around to Maharg. This evolved into Marks. They moved to the North-East and then to Keighley in West Yorkshire. My mothers family were Welsh originally (more embarressment) but both my Grandad and Grandmother were born in England, my G'dad in Brighton and my G'mother in Paddington. I have Irish relatives (Sullivans) and one or two in Canada. Nobody rich or famous though.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:05 am

Mostly just can't fathom why you'd post about "nationality" in an "ancestry" thread  Wink

Quoting Imiakhtar (Reply 18):
In a real messed up way, both of my parents (like a lot of other Pakistanis) were related before marriage (cousins in my parents' case)

I'm 100% Indian, and my parents were 2nd cousins before marriage. Happens (or used to happen, at least) a lot.

However, their marriage was not an arranged marriage, nor were most of my aunts' and uncles'.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Braybuddy

Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:11 am

Parents were Irish, but my paternal grandfather was Welsh, hence the Welsh surname, but as they're all long-gone no-one knows why he came here. We can only presume it was because of my grandmother.