NWA742

RE: What Is Wrong With The US

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:19 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 50):
True, but some stupid rules, if enforced, can exercise a profound influence on a child's psychology.

If rules about candy are capable of exercising a profound influence on a teenager's psychology, you should be worried about that teenager.

The OP is apparently a guy who asks questions and can recognize bullshit

A "guy who asks questions," gee.........that's really, impressive.......

As for recognizing BS, he's having a very hard time recognizing his own.

it's those all-American "hooray USA" kids I'd be more worried about

And why is that? You don't think they can think for themselves, do you? Just because they are patriotic............yeah we know your views on patriotism already, Toast.........

Yeah sure

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Mike89406

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:25 am

True, but some stupid rules, if enforced, can exercise a profound influence on a child's psychology. I resigned from teaching in French-speaking Belgium because of idiotic rules that in the long run I considered produced docile, unimaginative sheeple. Sheeple with a good enough knowledge of history and biology, but sheeple nevertheless. That's for another thread, however...

The OP is apparently a guy who asks questions and can recognize bullshit, and I think it's a valuable asset for a teenager. I say let's give the guy a break - it's those all-American "hooray USA" kids I'd be more worried about...

I have to admit I thought the law is a little harsh after reading it.

When I went to school things were so much simpler all you had to worry about was fighting and the occasional druggie stashing pot in his/her locker. Nowadays kids have much more to be worried about in this generation and future ones to come.

[Edited 2008-03-13 18:26:25]

Toast

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:31 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 51):
If rules about candy are capable of exercising a profound influence on a teenager's psychology, you should be worried about that teenager.

You wouldn't believe in what ways a childhood humiliation over a trifle can shape future behavior. In this particular case, it may have no effect, but exposing how full of shit the school is does no good to the overall morale. Discipline works only when policies are transparent, logical, and consistent. Making up idiotic rules, humiliating a kid for no reason, then changing your mind:

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 51):
yeah we know your views on patriotism already, Toast...

Good! That'll save me some typing

edit:typo

[Edited 2008-03-13 18:31:27]
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

Delta767300ER

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:23 am

Quote:
Why? What makes the US a sacred cow exempt from complaining about? I understand nobody likes people who constantly complain, but people's fuses seem to be particularly short when it comes to complaining about their country. Why is it so much more annoying than any other subject people complain about? I for one think complaints about a country should be taken far more seriously than whining about a delayed flight or broken fingernail. There are many people who feel the US is headed in the wrong direction. It's a malaise that shouldn't be ignored IMO.

Nope, Anyone can bitch about the U.S. if they want to. The OP's profile says he is 16-20 years old. Its mostly the younger kids that have no clue about life that get on my nerves. For the record I do feel the U.S. is headed in the wrong direction.

CYA!

-Delta767300ER

iairallie

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:23 am

Quoting PAHS200 (Thread starter):
This bullshit is why im leaving the USA as soon as im able.

So you don't think stupid stuff happens outside of the US? Good luck in your search for utopia.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Dougloid

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 43):
A suggestion to the OP: since crap like this seems to tick you off, why not just turn off your TV. Listening to the media all day will turn you into a misanthrope sooner or later. Isolate yourself from the ambient bullshit overblown by sensationlist reporting, and look around. There is more to the US than vacuous celebrities and hillbillies.

Absolutely correct, Toaster. I have not been on a commercial aircraft since May, 2001.

When I want to go somewhere, if it's within a couple days drive I take my pickup truck. That's it. Get in with my duffel bag (no checkin required), a thermos of coffee and a bag of Twizzlers, turn off the cellphone and the radio and concentrate on the task at hand.

Once outside of town, you can start thinking about important things.

[Edited 2008-03-17 06:46:04]
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Toast

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 55):
I have not been on a commercial aircraft since May, 2001.

Wow! Man, that's a long time!

When I want to go somewhere, if it's within a couple days drive I take my pickup truck.

A couple of days? I could drive all the way to Africa in a couple of days from where I am... Although I suppose that would be barely enough to get you out of the cornfields in Iowa.  Smile

Once outside of town, you can start thinking about important things.

True! Have you read the story of Bill Bryson's tour of small-town America in "The Lost Continent"? His journey begins and ends in Des Moines and he shares a lot of hilarious musings about road trippin' in the US. I'm sure you've seen enough interesting things during your travels to write a book of your own.  Smile
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

fridgmus

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:14 pm

Quoting PAHS200 (Thread starter):
This bullshit is why im leaving the USA as soon as im able.

Hasta la Vista, baby!

And don't come cryin' back when you see just how fucking wrong you were! hissyfit 

Geez, people like you just piss me off to no end!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

Dougloid

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 56):
True! Have you read the story of Bill Bryson's tour of small-town America in "The Lost Continent"?

An excellent book. I just came back from Ft. Campbell, Kentucky last Monday, it was about a 12 hour drive from here through Missouri and Illinois. It was great therapy and it served to level my head out.

Some times you just have to get away from all the noise and do stuff like watch the oil pressure and temperature gauges and trip out on the smell of raw gasoline when you fill the tank and the smell of grease and garlic salt coming out of a nearby diner and maybe see a few whitetail deer grazing in the stubble of a cornfield along about 3:00 am with a full moon.

It's a beautiful world out there, people. Go live it.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn