ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sen McCain's Vice President

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:42 pm

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/...ential-search/20080312163909990001

The search is on ladies and gents . . .

Who should it be?

The link provided gives four choices . . . Romney, Guiliani, Thompson and Huckabee . . .

I choose:

None of the above.

I'd really like to see Evan Bayh, but of course - he's a democrat, and that isn't going to happen. So - that said, where does Sen McCain go now? Gotta be able to win over the far right religious screwballs whilst keeping his current center-leaning right wing position on many things including ANWR and Immigration.

Ideas?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Superfly

RE: Sen McCain's Vice President

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:47 pm

I'd prefer Fred Thompson.
Bring back the Concorde

IFEMaster

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
I choose:

None of the above.

checkmark  I ditto that.

Shame Lieberman put himself out of the VP running. That would have been an interesting and, I think, somewhat decent ticket.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Jetsgo

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:48 pm

From the list, I would say Romney. I wanted him over McCain and am still somewhat surprised he had to drop out so early in the primaries.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 3):
From the list, I would say Romney.

He's #1 in the AOL poll I posted as well.

Sure fire thing: Alaska's Governor is out . . . she's preggers and doesn't want the job anyway.

I'm thinking someone like Huckabee - not Huck but like him . . . can relate to religious right, but hasn't lost all his sense of reality. I know that's really an oxymoron . . . but.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):

Why Larry? He did so poorly in the primaries, how would he help Sen McCain, what would he bring to the table?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

itsonlyme

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:06 pm

I'd really like to see Evan Bayh

I like Bayh a lot too. I think he would be very good for Obama.

The choices in the poll seem to be the obvious ones. Romney would have the best shot out of those 4, but he aint McCain dont get along at all apparantly.

Other names thrown out a lot include Pawlenty and Sanford. He could go with one of his close friends, like a Lindsay Graham.

srbmod

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:08 pm

This guy's name has been tossed around in some circles:

After all, Georgia was one of the few states to maintain (and in the case of Georgia, strengthened) Republican control in the mid-term elections. Governor Purdue is a former Democrat (He was a typical conservative Southern Democrat like Sam Nunn, Richard B. Russell, Herman Talmadge, and Zell Miller.) who switched parties due to having no chance of any advance in the state Democratic Party due to the stronghold folks like Miller and Roy Barnes had on the party. Georgia prior to 2004 was very much a Democratic stronghold despite the Republicans gaining during the 1980s and 1990s, and Purdue's victory in 2004 started a tidal wave of state legislators switching parties.

D L X

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:11 pm

I bet he waits to see who the Dems nom before he decides. If it's Obama, the VP will have to be a southerner to keep those southern states from being in play as has been suggested. If it is Hillary, McCain could pick pretty much anyone he wanted.

Queso

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):

I agree.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
He did so poorly in the primaries, how would he help Sen McCain, what would he bring to the table?

I agreed with Superfly only because it would be a good choice for how the country is run. Now, if we want to talk about electability and helping the party in the general election, I reserve the right to fudge on my choice.

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):
I bet he waits to see who the Dems nom before he decides.

Do you really think so? That might be right, but I wouldn't be surprised if he looks at it as giving the appearance of "having his house in order" and picking up early support if his choice is a popular one.

Superfly

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:22 pm

At this point, it doesn't even matter.
John McCain will be the next President.
I am not happy about this and I am not supporting McCain but let's face it, Hillary and Obama are not going to win in November.

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):
I bet he waits to see who the Dems nom before he decides.

Quoting Queso (Reply 8):
Do you really think so?

The Democratic convention is before the Republican convention so of course the Democrats are going to have their VP picked already.
Bring back the Concorde

gosimeon

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Romney would be okay. Guilaini drives me up the wall; so negative. Hopefully it won't matter who he wants anyway.  Silly

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
At this point, it doesn't even matter.

I quite disagree . . .

I hope so, but I'm not counting any chickens yet . . .

Now - I disagree with your first statement because, as it relates to the second, if McCain chooses poorly then Sen Obama will have a better shot at beating him. (note how I discount Sen Clinton completely). It's going to be about electability first and foremost, and then everything else.

So if Sen McCain chooses poorly, he stands a decent shot at losing the big chair . . .

I like Fred Thompson too . . . he's got hands like catchers mits - first time I ever shook hands with him I couldn't see my wrist  silly  - but is he electable??? That's the question.

So, yes Larry - it does matter my friend.

lh477

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 pm

Off topic...if Obama is the candidate for the dems, an ideal candidate ( and not likely to happen) could be Chuck Hagel. He is on few the repbulicans who has impressed me.
Come on you gunners......!!!!!

Delta767300ER

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:40 pm

Quote:
Gotta be able to win over the far right religious screwballs whilst keeping his current center-leaning right wing position on many things including ANWR and Immigration

Yup, I know what ya mean. However, would the far right theocratic Christians vote for a Democrat?

I would like to see Thompson or Romney be the VP.

-Delta767300ER

Superfly

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:42 pm

ANCFlyer:
A Clinton - McCain match up would almost be a repeat of the Dukakis - Bush match up in 1988. The only difference is that Hillary Clinton will never have a lead over McCain at any point in 2008 unlike Dukakis's 18 point lead after the convention.
An Obama - McCain match up would be closer but McCain would still win.
Unless McCain does something stupid like pick a controversial polarizing figure as VP (which he wont), he will easily get the keys to the White House.

Fred Thompson is one of the least offensive Republicans out there. At least him and McCain will occasionally have a drink and accept evolution as fact. Fred Thompson is not a Bible thumper but knows how to talk to them and play them like a fiddle.
Both McCain and Thompson would sell them out in a heartbeat if it's politically advantageous to them.
Bring back the Concorde

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:42 pm

I do hope you're right on that one  wink 

I am not happy about this and I am not supporting McCain but let's face it, Hillary and Obama are not going to win in November.

The Democratic primary/nomination process is starting to remind me of a hard-fought slug-fest hockey or basketball playoff series...two teams beat each other up so much that after one of them wins that series they get blown out in the next one. Not that McCain will blow out either Clinton or Obama, but the more time passes, the more the Democrats fracture, the better the odds for McCain.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Superfly

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 12):
However, would the far right theocratic Christians vote for a Democrat?

They have many times.
Jimmy Carter in 1976 won that vote and many were split in 1980.
Look at the Democratic governors, house reps and Senators from the south.
Bring back the Concorde

D L X

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 15):
Not that McCain will blow out either Clinton or Obama, but the more time passes, the more the Democrats fracture, the better the odds for McCain.

Being a Republican, I'm surprised to hear you say that out loud. Aren't you guys afraid that the democratic leadership will eventually catch wind of the implosion of the party due to the stupidity of the HRC campaign?

But I digress...  Smile

TWFirst

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:49 pm

Condoleeza Rice.

An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:59 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 17):
Aren't you guys afraid that the democratic leadership will eventually catch wind of the implosion of the party due to the stupidity of the HRC campaign?

Don't tell me the DNC is leaving it up to an almost 47-year old a.net geek to tell them the errors of their ways ...  wink  If I were a DNC strategist I'd first of all be ashamed of the job I was doing, and second I'd be voluntarily looking for a new line of work...unless of course I was an RNC plant  wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

N328KF

Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:01 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 2):
Shame Lieberman put himself out of the VP running. That would have been an interesting and, I think, somewhat decent ticket.

McCain-Lieberman probably represents the DNC's nightmare scenario, more so because McCain and Lieberman seem to actually be friends (a rare thing in politics.) A McCain-Rice ticket would also cause them indigestion, but would be easier for them to counter.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):

Points taken. I disagree still that the election's in the bag. Sen Obama still has a shot IMO.

Fred Thompson is one of the least offensive Republicans out there.

Plus he plays a cool Admiral, Lawyer, etc . . .

Fred Thompson is not a Bible thumper but knows how to talk to them and play them like a fiddle.

He's from Tennessee . . . of course he knows how to talk to 'em . . . oh, wait . . . Gore  confused  . . never mind.

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 18):
Condoleeza Rice.

Not a chance.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 20):
McCain-Lieberman probably represents the DNC's nightmare scenario

Concur . . . I like Lieberman but he's not interested.

Joe Biden anyone?  duck 

Seriously, it'll be a republican . . . just which one is the question.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 20):
A McCain-Rice ticket would also cause them indigestion, but would be easier for them to counter.

Understatement.

Superfly

Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
He's from Tennessee . . . of course he knows how to talk to 'em . . . oh, wait . . . Gore confused . . never mind.

Gore was elected by landslides in Tennessee before the religious right became political and went on a witch hunt outing those who weren't Bible thumpers.

Points taken. I disagree still that the election's in the bag. Sen Obama still has a shot IMO.

I hope so but I've seen enough elections to know how things are going to play out.
Bring back the Concorde

FlyCMHjets

Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:59 pm

ANC, what about Bobby Jindal from Louisiana?

D L X

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:03 pm

Quoting FlyCMHjets (Reply 23):

That would destroy McCain's argument that Obama is not experienced enough for the job. Jindal is greener than Obama, IIRC.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Don't know much about him . . .

I do know he's 100% anti-abortion, period.

He voted to increase income taxes and reduce sales taxes in Louisiana.

Supports intelligent design - that won't win him any Southern Baptist favors.

And he finally beat Governor  hissyfit  in a Gubernatorial Race.

Our Louisiana friends could speak better about him - I sure can't.

NWA742

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:05 pm

I'm really hoping he goes for Romney. He was my pick over McCain and I think the two of them would demolish HRC or Obama.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:07 pm

what about Bobby Jindal from Louisiana?

(awaiting negative comment from Superfly       )

Jindal just left Congress to become our governor. Also, he's just 36 years old. Give him eight years in LA to get our issues straightened out...which he's already started doing with some major anti-corruption legislation recently passed...then we'll put him back on the national stage.

Tom at MSY

(edited for grammar)

[Edited 2008-03-13 15:08:53]

Superfly

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 27):
(awaiting negative comment from Superfly

ANCFlyer beat me to it.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:29 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):
Don't know much about him . . .

With the passing of the vast majority of the anti-corruption agenda he proposed at the beginning of a recent special session of the LA legislature...and the ongoing special session regarding the doling out of a $1 billion surplus, including tax breaks and additional hurricane protection funding...the nation will be learning a lot more about Jindal in the coming months and years.

He voted to increase income taxes and reduce sales taxes in Louisiana.

Kind of ironic here...I've owed the state no more than $200 per year at tax time for the past ten-odd years...and have been owed refunds in the thousands each year from the IRS over the same period.

Supports intelligent design - that won't win him any Southern Baptist favors.

My Southern Baptist mother-in-law thinks Jindal's the best thing since sliced bread.

Tom at MSY

NWA742

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:32 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):

Tell me my friend, what do you think of Romney?  Smile

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Superfly

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:37 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 30):
Tell me my friend, what do you think of Romney?

He is a plastic flip-flopping phony that will say anything to get elected and a corporate whore.
Glad the Republican voters in most states didn't pick him and send him back to Utah or was it Massachusetts?
Bring back the Concorde

bhmbaglock

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:43 pm

oh, wait . . . Gore . . never mind.

He's really from DC so your point may be correct.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
Gore was elected by landslides in Tennessee before the religious right became political and went on a witch hunt outing those who weren't Bible thumpers.

You're forgetting that Al and Tipper were religious nut jobs in politics themselves way back when. For some reason they just don't talk about it any more though.

Personally, I just hope McCain doesn't picky Carly Fiorina. That would be a disaster. For one thing, Carly as a politician could cause a 5% spike in worldwide jet fuel consumption over night the way she likes to travel.
Where are all of my respected members going?

NWA742

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
He is a plastic flip-flopping phony that will say anything to get elected and a corporate whore.

Well I disagree. In fact, he's a good guy...

-NWA742

planespotting

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:56 pm

I'd really like to see Evan Bayh, but of course - he's a democrat, and that isn't going to happen.

He'd be a great presidential candidate too.

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):
If it is Hillary, McCain could pick pretty much anyone he wanted.

If it's McCain v. Hillary, McCain gets my vote.

I don't see how any educated voter could make a blanket statement like this at this point. Even if the dems have to wait until June, if Obama gets the nomination - we'll just be that much hungrier to win the national race. If Hillary wins, then McCain's a shoe in - but if Obama wins ... look for a huge democratic push. Hillary supporters are much more likely to rally around Obama than vice versa.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

UAXDXer

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:00 pm

How about John Kerry?  sarcastic 

Seriously... If McCain was smart he would be doing everything in his power to get J.C. Watts on his ticket.
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

STT757

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:02 pm

Condoleeza Rice.

I've heard over the years a number of Republicans propose she run for President or be on someone's ticket as a running mate, I don't see that ever happening for the simple fact that it would bring her in sexuality into question amongst many.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

UAXDXer

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):

.........and that makes him different from any other politician how?

[Edited 2008-03-13 16:07:40]
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

AGM100

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:05 pm

JC Watts is perfect
Romney good
Colen Powell good
Bloomberg ?
Flavor Flav ?
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Queso

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 36):
it would bring her in sexuality into question amongst many.

What is it about her sexuality that would be an issue? Is she a lesbian?

NIKV69

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Romney would make sense but his religious background and obvious hatred toward McCain won't make it fly. I still feel Rudy is on the short list. I would like Huckabee and believe it or not Lindsey Graham but who knows. Will be interesting to see who he picks.
I am the Googlizer!!!

NWA742

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:16 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 40):
obvious hatred toward McCain

What obvious hatred?

Romney made it clear several times now that he disagrees with McCain on certain issues but overall, he supports him.

-NWA742

STT757

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 39):

She is 53 years old, never married and never photographed in public with any sort of significant other. I don't know what she is, but she would definately have to answer some uncomfortable questions if she were to become a candidate for political office.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

NoUFO

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Condoleeza Rice.

Not a chance.

Maybe, but she would be a clever choice in many respects: She's about as black as Obama (stealing votes from "I vote black" folks - if there are any), she's about as female as Clinton (stealing votes from ... well, you got it), she's more conservative, which may help convince dyed-in-the-wool conservatives to get over it and vote for McCain.
And of course she's experienced and highly intelligent.
I support the right to arm bears

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:35 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 43):

Points taken,

Counterpoint: She's been a Bush mouthpiece for nearly eight years, echoing everything he's said, and accomplished literally nothing as SecState, nothing. She's part of the 'established' administration, one that many, many people - on both sides of the aisle - want to be rid of.

It would be a very bad call.

NoUFO

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:57 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 44):

Hm, I see. I wasn't aware her reputation wasn't that great at all and thought her loyalty (she's the last dinosaur in Bush's cabinet after all) would make her an even better call.
I support the right to arm bears

NIKV69

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:03 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 41):
What obvious hatred?

Romney made it clear several times now that he disagrees with McCain on certain issues but overall, he supports him.

Come on, did you see the body language when he made his endorsement announcement? The fact Romney endorses McCain was done professionally. The two are not buddies. They don't have a good relationship and thus would not be a good ticket.
I am the Googlizer!!!

blrsea

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:38 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 42):
She is 53 years old, never married and never photographed in public with any sort of significant other

I remember reading something about her and a canadian minister couple of years back.

L-188

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:00 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 42):
Quoting Queso (Reply 39):

She is 53 years old, never married and never photographed in public with any sort of significant other. I don't know what she is, but she would definately have to answer some uncomfortable questions if she were to become a candidate for political office.

What is she? Janet Reno's black sister that the family doesn't talk about?

As far as McCain....He needs

A:Somebody that will pull conservatives into the mix.
B:Probably somebody that will pull in the northeast voters
C:Somebody who isn't linked at all to the current admin.

I hate to say it but right now Mitt seems the best fit for those requirements.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

planespotting

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:09 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 48):
I hate to say it but right now Mitt seems the best fit for those requirements.

Mitty will push independents and moderate dems like myself away.
Do you like movies about gladiators?