Duff44

RE: Sen McCain's Vice President

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:38 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 41):
Romney made it clear several times now that he disagrees with McCain on certain issues but overall, he supports him.

That steaming pile of sh*t brought to you by Budweiser...

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 49):
Mitty will push independents and moderate dems like myself away.

So will Huckabee and anyone who caters to the "Conservative Base".
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

allstarflyer

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:53 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
can relate to religious right, but hasn't lost all his sense of reality. I know that's really an oxymoron

Strange . . . people here often equate me with the religious right or identifying with them and you and I haven't had much of any conflict - either I'm closer to reality than you might think or we're both nuts!  crazy 

McCain's VP - has to be considered who can:

-Give strong geographical support (for McCain, that might mean someone to help with the South and Midwest)
-Be able to cater to ethnic groups he may not otherwise be much able (maybe get a minority on board)
-Look good in front of the media (from their apparel to their demeanor)

It's too bad, though, the only person to meet those points that I can consider currently is Reese Witherspoon.  crazy   eyepopping   biggrin 
Living the American Dream

stlgph

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:04 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
Who should it be?

oh how i wish i could share with you McCain's short list but i'd probably get fired in about 5 minutes  Smile

I'd really like to see Evan Bayh,

yes! yes! yes indeed. totally agree with you there.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

FriendlySkies

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:17 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 6):
This guy's name has been tossed around in some circles:

Well, he's certainly done a lot for Georgia.  Yeah sure

Falcon84

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:37 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 48):
A:Somebody that will pull conservatives into the mix.
B:Probably somebody that will pull in the northeast voters
C:Somebody who isn't linked at all to the current admin.

Florida Gov. Christ?

As far as 'Fly saying this election is over and McCain will win, I don't understand that logic. It's still early in the year, but right now, both Clinton and Obama beat McCain head-to-head. Again, it's early, and that could change, obviously. But the fact is, even with the drawn-out battle inside the Democratic Party, McCain still hasn't pushed past either-and I'd be worried about that if I were Republicans.

As for what happens when the Dems do pick a candidate, I have no doubt they'll unite behind either Clinton or Obama. At this juncture, I'd have to say Obama will be the nominee. I think most Democrats will come to realize he has a lot more national appeal than Sen. Clinton, and he's got more electability. Either way, the Dems are going to line up behind the nominee. They have money pouring in, and they'll take it right to McCain and the Republicans.

This race is up for grabs. No one has an advantage right now. McCain doesn't because all the attention is focused on the Democrats. The Democrats don't have one because they're locked in a tight race. Nothing will be clear until after the Democratic Convention. I think it will be Barack Obama as the nominee, and I think he'll be the odds-on-favorite going into the fall campaign.
Work Right, Fly Hard

bhmbaglock

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:45 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
Glad the Republican voters in most states didn't pick him and send him back to Utah or was it Massachusetts?

You're forgetting Michigan.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 54):
As for what happens when the Dems do pick a candidate, I have no doubt they'll unite behind either Clinton or Obama.

Yes, but the big difference will be the independants; Obama will play much better there.
Where are all of my respected members going?

UAXDXer

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:10 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 54):
As for what happens when the Dems do pick a candidate, I have no doubt they'll unite behind either Clinton or Obama.

That depends on how ugly it gets before the winner is decided. It could be Florida 2000 all over again but between Clinton & Obama.
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

ConcordeBoy

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:36 am

...heard that Santorum lunatic's name tossed around quite a bit as well. Sincerely hoping that McCain isn't foolish enough to bring that pestilence back into the national political scene!!!  Sad

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 3):
and am still somewhat surprised he had to drop out so early in the primaries.

Why?
The dude's positions were a political windsock; and the voters smelled a rat, from early out of the gates.
The only reason he made it as far as he did, was from straight up BenjiGreens outta his own pocket.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

flynavy

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:47 am

Who should it be?

No one at all.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

UH60FtRucker

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:58 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 58):
No one at all.

So you're advocating we scrap the constitution, scrap the election cycle, and simply impose a person (a person of Chris's personal choice, no less!)  Wink
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

flynavy

Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 59):
So you're advocating we scrap the constitution, scrap the election cycle, and simply impose a person (a person of Chris's personal choice, no less!)
Whoever he picks, it really doesn't matter. It's not like he'll actually win or anything.    Big grin

[Edited 2008-03-14 03:07:26]

UH60FtRucker

Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:19 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 60):

Exactly! So you're advocating we skip the whole process, because you know better. Also, can you tell me this week's lotto numbers?

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

flynavy

Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:22 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 61):
So you're advocating we skip the whole process, because you know better.

Damnit, UH60! Are you watching O'Reilly again?!  bigmouth 

Superfly

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 35):
Seriously... If McCain was smart he would be doing everything in his power to get J.C. Watts on his ticket.

J.C. Watts is fed up with politics and I doubt he would want to get back in to it.

Quoting Queso (Reply 39):
What is it about her sexuality that would be an issue? Is she a lesbian?

Not sure if she's a lesbian and I wouldn't be surprised if her & Dubya had their fling. The way she kisses up to him and relentlessly defends that jerk is disgusting.

Again folks, I hope I am proven wrong in November but I am sure McCain will be the never President.
Too many people hate Hillary Clinton, Obama's minister certainly hurts him and I am sure a few more similar stories will come out throughout the year.
It's just too bad the the announcement of the Hillary and Obama campaigns overshadowed Even Bayh's campaign last year. If he were the nominee, he would be a shoe-in over McCain.
Bring back the Concorde

copaair737

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:32 pm

Had the Dems run someone like Richardson, they'd probably be in the driver's seat.

Instead they run two fringe candidates with no appeal to the middle. It's like they don't want to win.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

D L X

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 38):
JC Watts is perfect

Quoting Superfly (Reply 63):
Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 35):
Seriously... If McCain was smart he would be doing everything in his power to get J.C. Watts on his ticket.

J.C. Watts is fed up with politics and I doubt he would want to get back in to it.

Why would Watts even be a good pick?

blrsea

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:27 pm

Superfly

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 65):

I'd like to hear an answer to that as well.
Bring back the Concorde

UAXDXer

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:58 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 65):

Quoting Superfly (Reply 67):
I'd like to hear an answer to that as well.

J.C. Watts is a well spoken, very charismatic, well liked, has little known baggage, and could actually get the Christan conservatives excited to go out and vote for McCain.

[Edited 2008-03-14 14:00:03]
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

Superfly

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 68):
J.C. Watts is a well spoken, very charismatic, well liked, has little known baggage, and could actually get the Christan conservatives excited to go out and vote for McCain.

So does Mike Huckabee and Fred Thompson. They both have been elected to statewide offices by healthy margins. That is also something important when picking a V.P. choice but not a requirement.
Bring back the Concorde

N1120A

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 3):
I would say Romney.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):

He's #1 in the AOL poll I posted as well.

Quoting LH477 (Reply 13):
could be Chuck Hagel. He is on few the repbulicans who has impressed me.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 20):

McCain-Lieberman probably represents the DNC's nightmare scenario

Um, probably not. Lieberman's name would mobilize the Democrat base like no other.

Quoting FlyCMHjets (Reply 23):
ANC, what about Bobby Jindal from Louisiana?

Jindal is way too young at this point, not to mention having significant policy differences from McCain. Jindal would, on the other hand, give McCain's camp a voice that actually knows something about economics as well as a more credible position on health care.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):

And he finally beat Governor hissyfit in a Gubernatorial Race.

He didn't beat her. She didn't run, because she knew that anyone would have been elected over her.

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 34):

He'd be a great presidential candidate too.

Then why hasn't he been one? Bayh is highly overrated.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 43):
She's about as black as Obama (stealing votes from "I vote black" folks - if there are any)

Black people are not going to vote for Condi.

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 57):
...heard that Santorum lunatic's name tossed around quite a bit as well. Sincerely hoping that McCain isn't foolish enough to bring that pestilence back into the national political scene!!!

McCain's campaign would be DOA if he picked Santorum

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 64):
Instead they run two fringe candidates with no appeal to the middle.

Fringe? Not a chance. Hillary is a centrist and Obama has significant cross-party appeal.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

blrsea

Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:06 pm

Is there a chance that McCain will ask Colin Powell to be his running mate?

Superfly

Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 71):

Colin Powell has said "NO" so many times in terms of being a running mate or candidate for any office.
Why can't some people respect his decision?
NO means NO and he will say NO again if asked.
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:24 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 72):
NO means NO and he will say NO again if asked.

Or Alma will beat his ass!!!

Sec Powell is done with politics.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Superfly

Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:25 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 73):
Sec Powell is done with politics.

...and I don't blame him.
Bring back the Concorde

copaair737

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:21 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 70):
Fringe? Not a chance. Hillary is a centrist and Obama has significant cross-party appeal.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Riight....

Hillary is about as much of a centrist as Karl Marx. Obama having cross-party appeal? Sure, if by the other party you mean the Communist party, or the Black Panther party.

Some people just live in a bubble I guess.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

N1120A

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:25 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 75):

Hillary is about as much of a centrist as Karl Marx.

rotfl  rotfl 

Hillary is about as similar to Karl Marx as Pat Robertson is to Louis Farrakhan

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 75):
Obama having cross-party appeal?

He does, particularly to moderate Republicans who are sick and tired of Bush and Co's antics.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

CastleIsland

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:38 am

For everyone who supports Romney, I question your potential hypocrisy (that's what we do here, right?).  Wink

John Kerry did a lousy job of explaining why he changed his mind considering new information having been brought to his attention, and was branded a flip-flopper. Mitt Romney ran for Governer here in MA spouting some of the most liberal Republican postions I've ever heard. Three examples: He was responsible for current MA legislation that requires all Massachusetts residents to have health care. Part of this is a State program to aid those who cannot afford it. He supported Roe v Wade and was against prayer in schools.

Nowadays, when loking for national acceptance, what I'm reading about his platform would indicate that he feels otherwise; taking a more traditional conservative stance. So, is a flip-flopper only a flip-flopper if you diagree with what they have flip-flopped to?

Oh, and shouldn't the title of this thread be: Sen McCain's Running Mate? Last I checked, McCain hadn't been elected yet.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:49 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 77):
Oh, and shouldn't the title of this thread be: Sen McCain's Running Mate? Last I checked, McCain hadn't been elected yet.

Maybe I should have written: President McCain's Vice President.  wink 

At least Superfly seems to think it's a 'given'.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CastleIsland

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:04 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 78):
Maybe I should have written: President McCain's Vice President.

Right now, it's looking like McCain has the best shot. RIght before the Ohio and Texas primaries/caucuses, it looked like Obama would end up facing McCain, and he looked to have a pretty good shot.

Of course, things can change quickly. Personally, I'd be OK with McCain, and I might vote for him, but if he selects Romney as his running mate, I'd have to seriously re-think that. He absolutely crapped on my State, and I want no part of him running this country.

Then again, Romney would probably be the best choice for McCain, at least from a votes/electibility perspective. Goes to show that most voters either don't know or don't care what a foul politician Romney is. You know, in relative terms...

[Edited 2008-03-14 18:10:21]
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

RSWA330

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:26 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 18):
Condoleeza Rice.

I wish. She would help shed that "white male" image that the Republicans are often associated with. Not to mention that she is smart, well-spoken, and very confident.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:22 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 70):

McCain's campaign would be DOA if he picked Santorum

McCain's campaign has been given that label several times... and continues to tick in ways Cheney could only dream about.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 79):
Romney would probably be the best choice for McCain, at least from a votes/electibility perspective.

...are you kidding?

Changing your mind is one thing. Finding enlightenment, and growing through experience are, as well. But come on, you could play 2 different videotapes of this dude, and he'd debate his own self on essentially every issue. He managed to do a complete 180 on practically every politically-sensitive issue concerning a candidate for POTUS, and it all just "happened" to coincide perfectly with the beginning of an election cycle?

Fortunately, voters saw him for what he was early on, and he got the can.
Had little to do with his (lunatic) religion either.

CastleIsland

Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:42 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 81):
...are you kidding?

No. I think I made my personal opinion on Romney abundantly clear, but it was clear to me that there were a large number of Republicans who didn't care for McCain, wouldn't vote for Huckabee, and liked Romney's fiscal positions (real or not).

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 81):
Had little to do with his (lunatic) religion either.

Which should play no role in anything political, campaigning, policy, legislation...

One thing I'll say for Romney is that, IMO, his faith would play little or no role in his political decisions. That's more than I can say for Huckabee.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:42 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 82):
t was clear to me that there were a large number of Republicans who didn't care for McCain, wouldn't vote for Huckabee, and liked Romney's fiscal positions (real or not).

...and yet they (i.e., the largest number of Republicans) did vote for McCain in large numbers, and did vote for Huckabee in significant number, yet did not do such for Romney----- at least to an extent to sustain his campaign.

fridgmus

Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:36 am

What about Sen. Elizabeth Dole? I haven't heard any mention of her at all, granted I'm out here in the sandbox and don't get all the news.

Your opinions? Pep?

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

stasisLAX

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:19 pm

I think Mitch Romney would be a good VP candidate - even though it seems that McCain isn't very friendly with him. Romney has lots of money, a good organization, and was a state governor.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 84):
What about Sen. Elizabeth Dole?

Your opinions? Pep?

Who?

Kidding of course. No thanks . . . she and ole Bob need to ride off in to the sunset. Other than Sen McCain, there needs to be a fresh face on the docket. Never was overly impressed with Sen Dole (the Mrs) in the first place.

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 85):
Mitch

His name is not Mitch. If you don't even know his name how the hell can you say "he's the best choice"?

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 79):
Right now, it's looking like McCain has the best shot

The odds are better than I thought they'd be at this point.

Thanks Obama and Clinton for handing the election over to the Repubs because you can't get by your own egos.

Queso

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 86):
Thanks Obama and Clinton for handing the election over to the Repubs because you can't get by your own egos.

It's not just that, you've got one who has alienated a large part of the population with (perceived or actual, doesn't matter for this discussion) lies and deceit and the other is just not qualified in the eyes of the people. Both of them are able to draw a crowd, but it's not the type of crowd you need to win an election.

Boeing744

Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 47):
I remember reading something about her and a canadian minister couple of years back.

That was stirred up mostly by the Canadian media. The minister in question (Peter McKay) had had a very highly publicized relationship with another MP (Belinda Stronach) that ended very badly. I think the media was just trying to give him a swinger image or something like that.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:56 pm

What about Sen. Elizabeth Dole?

...she ran for POTUS and was dismissed as an insignificance very quickly. What could she really bring to the table that McCain doesn't already possess?

fridgmus

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:34 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 89):
...she ran for POTUS and was dismissed as an insignificance very quickly. What could she really bring to the table that McCain doesn't already possess?

Insignificant? I don't know. Maybe a fairly non-controversial female running mate could help Sen McCain's campaign? I was hoping some of you with more knowledge could tell me more. I met Sen. Dole twice while on active duty in the Army while she was head of the Red Cross. Very nice lady who treated everyone with respect and listened to what they had to say. Remembered my name two years later! I also got the impression that she's no pushover. I'm ashamed to say my political knowledge is somewhat lacking.

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

flyingclrs727

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:46 am

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 90):
Insignificant? I don't know. Maybe a fairly non-controversial female running mate could help Sen McCain's campaign?

The name I've heard metioned is Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas). I really can't figure out why. I've voted for her every time she's run for her senate seat, but she's not a very inspring public speaker. Geographically she ads nothing, because Texas isn't in danger of voting for the Democratic presdential candidate for the first time in 32 years in 2008.

One big reason for choosing Romney is to help turn a few Midwest states like Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin over to the Republican column. Minnesota and Wisconsin narrowly voted for Gore and Kerry in 2004, while Michigan was still fairly close and within striking distance.

flyingclrs727

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:09 am

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 71):

I seriously doubt it. Powell's wife opposed him running for President in 1996 due to concerns over his safety. Powell isn't much liked by quite a number of people in the conservative wing of the party whose support McCain needs to win in November. Powell is just 7½ months younger than McCain who will be over 72 when the next president is inaugurated on January 20, 2009 and over 80 if he makes it through two terms. The VP nominee should be considerably younger than McCain preferably by a decade or more, because it not unlikely that his VP might have to become President. McCain would be the second oldest winning presdential candidate if he wins in November. If he were to win a second term in 2012, he would be the oldest presidential candidate in history, and he did spend 5½ years as a POW. McCain will need to choose a VP who is liked by the conservative wing, who can swing a few states that have narrowly voted Democratic in the last couple of presidential elections, and is young and in good health.

stasisLAX

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:50 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 86):
His name is not Mitch. If you don't even know his name how the hell can you say "he's the best choice"?

I think my real problem was typing that comment at 5 AM prior to drinking the day's first cup of coffee. I stand corrected on Mitt Romney's correct name spelling  blush 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

baroque

Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:03 pm

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 66):
Why McCain Might Win

Started to read that link, but when I found out the author thought Hiill's night telephone ad was subtle, I quite.

Interesting that some on here think the guy who did not like some of the Bush policies but has been ineffective at blocking them is a good bet for Pres. Who will save us all from another adventure?

allstarflyer

Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Brownback yet - he could get some right-wing votes, he didn't face a windfall of scrutiny in the GOP debates (and got out early enough to stay away from all that) and he's Class III (doesn't face re-election this year).

I guess, by that same token, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Jim DeMint. He could bring some Southern votes along. With either of those, McCain could make it an all-Senator battle (if Hillary and Obama hook-up later). It could happen, too - every GOP Prez since Ike has had something of executive experience (military/gov/VP), and the public would probably view McCain as having enough w/his military experience (and his take-charge approach in swinging deals in the Senate), even though the last GOP 2-senator combo didn't work so well.
Living the American Dream