Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MCOflyer
Topic Author

No Ice Road Truckers This Season

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:28 am

According to my networking site that focuses on truck driving, Nuna has banned the discovery channel and the history channel. This thread has good pictures and please do not photoshop any of them as they are copyrighted to the screen named persons. If you want, let me know and I will send that person an e-mail. Overall, I am biased as it stinks and does not.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tru...rucking-popular-trucking-show.html

Kinghunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

L-188

RE: No Ice Road Truckers This Season

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:32 am

Those guys where pussies anyway, they drove on lake ice.

Up here, we have a couple of roads that run out on the arctic ocean.

You know that one that is melting away.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

airportugal310

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:34 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):

Any of this driving on frozen water business requires some serious nerves of steel....period.

But I would agree that driving over a "frozen" ocean is a bit on the crazy side of things
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

ltbewr

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:47 am

Here in the USA, they did have plans to do another run of the show but I guess now that won't be happening.
There were issues about the show I could see. Clearly they have to play up the drama and risks of the operations there, the personalities and The one guy from BC who owned several trucks came off as a bad guy, operating unsafe trucks, without heaters, and other issues. From the above link, he didn't get invited back this year. I very much respected the young guy who was from there, and given some of the toughest assignments as well as the other young and rookie driver that proved himself as well as the old pro Polish named guy.
I do believe it showed a very unusual part of the trucking industry, one with great risk and requiring a great deal of professionalism. I don't think they exaggerated the risks at all, they did explain they quite well as well as the penalties for failing to follow the rules. I suspect Nuna and the owners of the mines didn't like the spotlight on them as they had the monopoly of the ops in that region. The show may have attracted too many rookie drivers desperate to make better money than they can in other parts of Canada. I suspect another issue was failing to include a pre-Euro ancestry Canadian as a featured driver.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:04 am

LTBEWR,

The unsafe guy is Hugh Rowland. The Polish guy is Alex Debogoroski and the young guy is TJ Tilcox. What the show did not show is how bad the risk are. Check out my link to the forum and you will see why they are not coming back. I am Kinghunter in the forum.

Kinghunter

bok269

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:16 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 4):
The unsafe guy is Hugh Rowland. The Polish guy is Alex Debogoroski and the young guy is TJ Tilcox. What the show did not show is how bad the risk are. Check out my link to the forum and you will see why they are not coming back. I am Kinghunter in the forum.

So these guys aren't being let back onto the Ice Roads as a result of participating in the show? I thought Hugh was the one who had been doing it for 20+ years?
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

A346Dude

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:46 am

It was a great show, but they absolutely did play up the risks in an overly dramatic way. Every time a truck drove on the ice, they played the cracking soundtrack and made it seem as if the truck was mere seconds from crashing through, and then act surprised when the truck actually makes it to the mine safely. Falling through the ice is a possibility, but a very small one as the ice is monitored constantly and the weights adjusted accordingly every day.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 5):

So these guys aren't being let back onto the Ice Roads as a result of participating in the show? I thought Hugh was the one who had been doing it for 20+ years?

Alex has been doing it for 25 years and Hugh for 23 years.

Kinghunter

Queso

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
I am biased as it stinks and does not.

Yes, I am very much think so too?

NoWorries

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:48 pm

I found a blog a few weeks ago (which I can't seem to locate now) that said the History Channel had found another ice road and would film a second season. I don't think (maybe I'm wrong) that nuna has banned the drivers, just the cameras -- so we won't see the old cast if they continue to drive on last season's road. IIRC some of the episodes, like Jay's trip to Deline weren't on nuna roads?

mayor

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:00 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
Those guys where pussies anyway, they drove on lake ice.

You know that one that is melting away.

You can drown just as easily in a lake as in the ocean.

Kind of makes you wonder what the company thought the History Channel was going to depict. If it wasn't dangerous, I'm sure there would be no interest in filming it.

Hugh did come off as the bad guy and I can see why. He operated a fleet of defective trucks. He got all over his other drivers when they had a problem but I noticed he spent some time in the shop as well.

Alex was my favorite. Great attitude. Never bad mouthed anyone, etc. I'm thinking he may be Ukranian instead of Polish but I could be wrong.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Bongodog1964

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:09 pm

I watched most if not all the programmes in the series. I would comment that if Nuna logistics, Tli Cho landtran etc feel they were protrayed in a bad light, they have never seen a tv company setting out to prove a point.

Of course the programme dramatised it, and showed the crashes; theres no mileage in showing programmes after programme of nothing happening.

I thought the programme showed that Nuna logistics had a good grip on safety, particularly with regard to speeding, and they were shown to be very environmentally aware regarding possible spillages from crashes. Plus the programmes showed the detailed profiling of the ice thickness that was carried out to minimise the risk. If anything they should be pleased at the result.

As for Hugh Rowland, the man did appear to be a bit of a rogue, who kept the best truck for himself, and sent others out in older ones, but his drivers were'nt the only ones. I remember the young driver TK Tillcox had similar problems, until he inherited a new truck. As he had driven the ice roads for 20 or more years, and appeared to be one of the drivers who set out to haul the maximum number of loads possible; surely the management were aware of him and his methods.

A346Dude

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:23 pm

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 9):
IIRC some of the episodes, like Jay's trip to Deline weren't on nuna roads?

I believe those roads are maintained by the Northwest Territories. They are not ice roads for the most part though, just winter roads.

BTW, I had been to Deline before watching the series and it was pretty cool to see the way it is resupplied. The convoy on the show probably supplied some of the jet fuel I flew on to get there!
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Quoting Mayor (Reply 10):

Hugh did come off as the bad guy and I can see why. He operated a fleet of defective trucks. He got all over his other drivers when they had a problem but I noticed he spent some time in the shop as well.

Actually they were not. Ricks was 96 which he drove later at the end when he wrecked and its only problem was heater. Drews was a 00 which his friend drove w/o incident. The other guy, had a 02 I believe. I know all had low KM. His truck was 97-00 International 9400I with a Cat. The others had Detroits in it.

Alex was my favorite. Great attitude. Never bad mouthed anyone, etc. I'm thinking he may be Ukranian instead of Polish but I could be wrong.

He was very fun to watch. He had the same truck Hughs drivers had and he had no problems except for that brake pressure one in the beginning.

TJ had Volvo VNL670 with a 18 speed Eaton fuller transmission, the lower bunk had the work table in place, refrigerator, microwave, TV, and 485 D13 Volvo Engine and 61 condo sleeper. Owner operator speced truck.

Jay had a 2000 Peterbilt 378 with a 525 Cummins, 18 spped, heavy duty diffs, 30 ton hydraulic winch, 48 in flat top sleeper and his truck was made for the bush.

Kinghunter

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 8):
Yes, I am very much think so too?

Well, they did not portray how really dangerous it is. On the other hand it was cool to follow them back and forth and see where each went. I know there is 3 destinations but each person portayed had his speciality. Jay and Hugh were your all around people while Jay was the heavy hauler. Alex and TJ were the green horns and rick was in between.

Kinghunter

mayor

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 13):
and its only problem was heater.

I'd say that at those temps, this is a defect.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 15):
Alex and TJ were the green horns and rick was in between.

I don't think you could classify Alex as a greenhorn. He has as much experience there as does Hugh.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Mayor, I meant to say that Alex was all around type of guy meaning he did all sorts of loads. Look at how much he made.

Kinghunter

mayor

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:45 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 17):
Mayor, I meant to say that Alex was all around type of guy meaning he did all sorts of loads. Look at how much he made.

Yeah, that works.

ContnlEliteCMH

Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:56 am

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 6):
It was a great show, but they absolutely did play up the risks in an overly dramatic way. Every time a truck drove on the ice, they played the cracking soundtrack and made it seem as if the truck was mere seconds from crashing through, and then act surprised when the truck actually makes it to the mine safely.

This is exactly why I thought it was awful, horrible television. They told us every week, then every segment, just how much drama and danger there was going to be, and what resulted was a bunch of guys getting their hands cold when their trucks didn't work. It was worse than anything "Sheriff" John Bunnell has done, and that's saying a lot.

The concept was great, but the producers of the show must have been filling their drawers when they realized that they had nothing. A guy caught speeding and kicked off the road. Ooooh! Rick freezing his hands off trying to unfreeze a brake line. Wow! And a truck losing its battery box without the driver knowing. Man! No wonder they played that goofy ice cracking sound everytime they could; it was all they had.

I watched the show religiously but couldn't finish the series. Please understand, it wasn't because the topic is boring. It was just horrible television.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

catsfan

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:31 am

I thought the show was good for the most part, several drivers got on my nerves. The overall theme of the show was entertaining. Did a quick search and found that according to the below website there is going to be a second season. Not sure how reliable the source, anybody familar with this website?

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne...ly/2008/Feb08/020408/020508-07.htm
I gotta have more cowbell!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:35 am

Not nunas roads. They will not let the History channel on site. I correspond with one. Nice fella I might add. Drives a Peterbilt 379.

Kinghunter

L-188

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:35 am

He was very fun to watch. He had the same truck Hughs drivers had and he had no problems except for that brake pressure one in the beginning.

Yeah, Alex had his act wired together. I think I can say that both of Alex and Jay, but they both where local drivers also...Coincidence....I THINK NOT!!!

TJ had Volvo VNL670 with a 18 speed Eaton fuller transmission, the lower bunk had the work table in place, refrigerator, microwave, TV, and 485 D13 Volvo Engine and 61 condo sleeper. Owner operator speced truck

To much plastic to be a proper arctic truck

Jay had a 2000 Peterbilt 378 with a 525 Cummins, 18 spped, heavy duty diffs, 30 ton hydraulic winch, 48 in flat top sleeper and his truck was made for the bush.

Probably the truck in the series that was the best suited for it's environment. Alex would be number to.

Actually Freightliner of Alaska had a truck on their lot that looks exactly like Alex's.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:42 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 21):

They are the safest semi in the US and Canada.

Yeah, Alex had his act wired together. I think I can say that both of Alex and Jay, but they both where local drivers also...Coincidence....I THINK NOT!!!

Both are great drivers and home time heros.

Kinghunter

L-188

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:45 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 22):

Maybe, but they still have more plastic parts in them then you will find at a Tupperware party.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:50 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 23):

Maybe, but they still have more plastic parts in them then you will find at a Tupperware party.

Prove it and at least plastic is easy to maintain. I love Volvo and am very loyal to them.

Kinghunter

L-188

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:54 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 24):
at least plastic is easy to maintain

Every spring in Fairbanks AK, when the snow recedes it uncovers all the plastic that has broken off the cars in the winter.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:04 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 25):
Every spring in Fairbanks AK, when the snow recedes it uncovers all the plastic that has broken off the cars in the winter.

How many volvo's are up there?

Kinghunter

KROC

Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:55 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 26):
How many volvo's are up there?

I can't be accurate, but when I last counted in 2007, there were 2,743 Volvos up there.

markyboy

Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:18 pm

I love Volvo and am very loyal to them

You make yourself sound like a seasoned pro yet a couple of weeks ago you were asking for help on how to drive in the proximity of a semi, BTW thanks for ignoring me after I took the time to reply to you to help you with your talk!

As to the topic, Ice Road Truckers was maybe a good subject for a one off fly on the wall documentary but not enough to justify an entire series never mind more than one.

NIKV69

Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:55 pm

I will miss it, I liked the show. I will tell you this though I think the interstates in the midwest are much more dangerous when it ices over. I mean these truckers didn't have hundreds of idiots around them wiping out. I drove through OK last December when that ice storm started to go bad. I swear I didn't think I would get out of the state in one piece. I44 and I40 were worse than any of those truckers saw!  Big grin
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

CaptOveur

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 pm

When the company I used to work for looked at tractors they found Volvo's to be insanely heavier than most other brands. That is kind of a problem. This was probably 8 years ago so maybe they fixed it. The whole safety thing isn't that much of an issue in heavy trucks. The truck weighs as much as 80,000lbs. in a wreck the truck is going to win. As long as they have decent rollover protection and don't have a habit of bursting into flames on their own I have never really heard of crash safety being an issue in trucks.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:24 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 30):
I have never really heard of crash safety being an issue in trucks.

Please check out out Volvo's safety testimonials.

http://www.volvo.com/trucks/na/en-us/products/safety/

Quoting Markyboy (Reply 28):
BTW thanks for ignoring me after I took the time to reply to you to help you with your talk!

Please accept my sincere apologies. I do not do these things intentional.

Guys,

markyboy

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 31):
Please accept my sincere apologies. I do not do these things intentional.

Fair play and apology accepted. I hope your talk went well.

I love Volvo

Although our European trucks are very much different to those in North America, as a truck driver I do prefer Volvo trucks, closely followed by Scania. You got to hand it to the Swedes, they sure know how to build good trucks!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Quoting Markyboy (Reply 32):

Fair play and apology accepted. I hope your talk went well.

I got a 88, 2 points shy of an A. My original score was an 84 but a little talking and the score went up. Funny how things can change. The ironic thing was no one criticised my speech. I am not a truck driver but love Volvo's and want the symbol tattooed on me. Only thing is, my parents would kill me.

Kinghunter

mayor

Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting CATSFAN (Reply 19):
I thought the show was good for the most part, several drivers got on my nerves. The overall theme of the show was entertaining. Did a quick search and found that according to the below website there is going to be a second season. Not sure how reliable the source, anybody familar with this website?

All I could see was the production company was thinking of doing the same thing in the Northwest Territories.

I just can't see where the series put the company in a bad light because of safety issues. I thought the precautions taken and the ongoing safety procedures put them in a pretty good light, especially when it came to environmental problems.
Also, I can't imagine what the company thought the History Channel was looking for when they were approached. Obviously, they were going to play up the danger....otherwise, the film crew might as well have been filming on I-80 in Wyoming, which in some cases, during the winter, is just as dangerous.

catsfan

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Quoting Mayor (Reply 34):
I just can't see where the series put the company in a bad light because of safety issues. I thought the precautions taken and the ongoing safety procedures put them in a pretty good light, especially when it came to environmental problems.

I totally agree. There were a few instances of "wreckless" behavior (the guy getting kicked out for speeding), all in all they did a good job of showing all aspects of the job and that is what made the show realistic. I was actually shocked to see how much saftey and precautions went into building and maintaining the road and the surroundings.
I gotta have more cowbell!