Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

What Nationalities Would You Not Date?

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:46 pm

We were having a humorous conversation amongst friends the other day and I was surprised to hear the views and ideas about which nationalities they would not date. There were many reasons why and perceptions. None of them were down to any kind of racism , maybe a bit more about the unknown. Seeing as this is a multi cultural forum I was wondering what peoples own views are and if there are certain nationalities you would be hesitant or not date?? If you would not date a certain nationalitiy is it due to previous bad experience or cultural difference?

N328KF

RE: What Nationalities Would You Not Date?

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:21 pm

I'd have a hard time dating any nationality that wanted my nationality dead.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

Cadet985

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 1):

Same goes for me. If the girl is white, that's a DEFINITE plus, if she's Jewish too, that's a HUGE plus.

Marc

aa61hvy

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:15 pm

I was banned for responding to a topic like this over a year a go. Interesting...

Be careful!
Go big or go home

OA260
Topic Author

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 2):
if she's Jewish too, that's a HUGE plus.

Is that due to your family and culture? I know alot of cultures prefer you to stay within your community etc... I come from a mixed background so it was easier but my parents still had their preferences.

MD11Engineer

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Why should I exclude a huge part of the world's female population over issues like nationality , religion or race?
The few things I find important is that she has about the same level of education as myself (or better) and that she has reached acertain level of maturity. For the rest, it just depends on her personality.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

misbeehavin

Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:03 pm

My girlfriend - same nationality, ethnicity, etc as me - threatens to murder me at least once every day. And if someone were to kill me, I'd put my money on her rather than Osama  Smile

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):

This is kinda superficial - but I'd say Australian. That accent just plain hurts my ear so bad, there's no way I'd be able to take a lifetime of listening to her talk. And the ones I end up with, trust me, they can talk!  Wink

Cadet985

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):
Is that due to your family and culture?

Sort of. See, I am Jewish, and religion is based upon the mother. I wouldn't want my kids growing up not sure of which religion they are. My parents have made it known that they want me to marry Jewish, but the most important thing is that she makes me happy. If I find happiness with a Catholic girl, an Asian girl, etc., they will be happy for me.

In the religion side, it would just be very complicated marrying a girl who isn't Jewish, because I wouldn't want to swear my vows to Jesus or another figure that I don't believe in.

While I try to have an open mind, I can safely say that I will never date a Muslim girl, as that religion is having too many conflicts with mine right now. Kinda ironic since a couple friends of mine are Muslim...

Marc

MCOflyer

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:25 pm

I am open to the nationality as long as she is mature, responsible, friendly, and knows where she is going. I am not picky on this subject because you are who you are.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

OA260
Topic Author

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 7):
I can safely say that I will never date a Muslim

My current partner is a Muslim and it has certainly thrown up some interesting conversations. Some stuff I agree with and some I dont but I have to say that from a cultural and personal level we share the same values and ideas of what a relationship should be. Eastern ideas among liberal Muslims are actually very comitted and secure relationships from my experience. Its all about respect. I for instance have given up eating Pork and Ham not that I ate alot of it anyway but its just something I wanted to do and in return my partner gave up smoking so it was a fair deal.

Alot of Western society has a more disposable idea about relationships from my experience.

TIA

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:11 am

None.

So you wouldn't even approach an Iranian because of his/her nut job president? Obviously if he/she is willing to date you, they wouldn't want your nationality dead. So I think everything depends on your personal interactions. You cannot hold a whole nation responsible for the actions of their leaders.

While I try to have an open mind, I can safely say that I will never date a Muslim girl, as that religion is having too many conflicts with mine right now. Kinda ironic since a couple friends of mine are Muslim...

While I agree that for someone who is very religious dating outside their religion makes things difficult, I also think that excluding people based on their belief is crazy (as long as said person is not a fanatic). My mom is Muslim, my dad is Christian and there has never been any problems. Although the caveat here is that while my family is religious, like most Albanians it is still pretty moderate and as OA260 said you have to learn to compromise. For example, my mom comes to church on Easter, while my dad calls the Muslim part of the family to give his wishes during their holidays.

stlgph

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:26 am

i only date slender white boys.

actually, correction.

date? yeah right!

i should say ... i only get with slender white boys.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

DocLightning

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:22 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 11):

i only date slender white boys.

actually, correction.

date? yeah right!

This is a problem? Better than fat green ones...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MD11Engineer

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:28 am

In the religion side, it would just be very complicated marrying a girl who isn't Jewish, because I wouldn't want to swear my vows to Jesus or another figure that I don't believe in.

I'm atheist, while my fiancee (who is an ethnic Chinese from the Philippines) is Roman-Catholic. Since the Catholic church will probably demand of me to convert before they'll marry us (and I'm not willing to join a religion I don't believe in), I think we'll be left with a civil marriage with the vows said in front of a government rep.

Jan

TSS

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:29 am

Quoting TIA (Reply 10):
Obviously if he/she is willing to date you, they wouldn't want your nationality dead.

Don't count on it.

Some years ago I dated a guy from India. We got along great and seemed to enjoy each other's company, to the point that I was thinking about getting serious with him. He was a med student approaching the end of his residency, so I thought it prudent to ask what his plans were after graduation. One night he was talking about how much he missed his family and his homeland, so I asked if he was planning on returning to India once he was out of school... boy, was that a mistake! He fairly exploded and said "That's you American's answer for everything- 'Go back where you came from!' ". He then proceeded to go on at some length and in great detail about how much he hated America, hated Americans, and found every minute he spent here to be sheer torture. For a physically small person, he certainly managed to fill a room with bitterness and hatred for about a half an hour. Since all this was completely unexpected on my part, I was rendered speechless... not that I'd have been able to get a word in edgewise if I'd wanted to anyway. After he spilled all his (apparently long built-up) bile and finally stopped shouting, I said "Okay... well, I'll be going home now. Goodnight". I haven't seen or heard from him since that night.

I wouldn't refuse to go out with anyone because of their nationality, but I'd be lying if I said I'd ever fully trust how someone from another culture acted towards me to reflect their true feelings about me. Once bitten, twice shy.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

HAWK21M

Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 14):

Sad to hear that & surprisingly too.......Most Indians like the USA.guess he had a bad day & made yours bad too.
On the topic...I don't think One should generalise about a nationality,as every individual is different & thinks differently too.There are bad apples everywhere.

I'm happily married for last 10 yrs,but I'd say.....The person you enjoy spending time with could be from any nation.as long as the time spent is enjoyable,thats important.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:01 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 14):
Once bitten, twice shy.

Well thats true . I would be very wary of dating some nationalities myself. Not because I dont like them its just I really dont think it would work out. I can pretty much tell on the 1st date if its a winner or not.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 13):
I think we'll be left with a civil marriage with the vows said in front of a government rep.

Yes thats what alot of people do incl some friends of mine. Maybe even go away to get married . In Cyprus they have civil ceremonies in a chapel so its a nice touch without the red tape.

JJJ

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:08 am

I don't think there's a nationality I wouldn't date for the sake of it, I don't think you can blame a person for what their country does/did. There are certain ethnicities that I just don't find that physically attractive, though.

WunalaYann

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 am

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):

None. If the girl is nice (inside and out), bring it on.  bigthumbsup 

N328KF

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Quoting TIA (Reply 10):
So you wouldn't even approach an Iranian because of his/her nut job president? Obviously if he/she is willing to date you, they wouldn't want your nationality dead. So I think everything depends on your personal interactions. You cannot hold a whole nation responsible for the actions of their leaders.

Well, I think you're confusing my nationality for my citizenship. In many countries, the two are synonymous, but you should know by now that this is not the case with the US, and my first comment specifically said nationality.

However, I was not really referring to myself so much as the fact that if I were Jewish (which I am not) I might have trouble dating most Arabs (or vice-versa) just because of the paranoia factor.

Quoting TSS (Reply 14):
I wouldn't refuse to go out with anyone because of their nationality, but I'd be lying if I said I'd ever fully trust how someone from another culture acted towards me to reflect their true feelings about me. Once bitten, twice shy.

This certainly is not reflective of that particular nationality in general. Every culture has their idiots.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

signol

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:46 pm

When I was single, I wouldn't rule out anyone based on nationality or ethnicity. I'd be more wary of religion, purely as it would be difficult to share my life with someone whose entire worldview was different to mine.

In the end, I married a fellow Christian, from South Africa  Smile

One of my best friends from university was adament he would never date someone whose first language wasn't English, let alone live outside the UK! He's now married to a Czech girl, lives in Prague and has a baby girl...

I wouldn't want my kids growing up not sure of which religion they are.

Surely it's up to them to decide which religion they are? By all means teach them what you believe, but it's up to them to make their own mind up.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:48 pm

none..if the girl is honest, positive & a down-to-earth person then I don't really give a stuff what her nationality is.

AA7295

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 19):
Well, I think you're confusing my nationality for my citizenship. In many countries, the two are synonymous, but you should know by now that this is not the case with the US, and my first comment specifically said nationality.

I think you are confusing nationality and heritage. Nationality and citizenship are the same thing, as nationality denotes which nation you 'belong' to or where you are born. Heritage is the the direct link to your ethnicity. My nationality/citizenship is American/Australian, but my heritage is Welsh.

babybus

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm sticking to European, roughly my age, and Catholic only.

The trouble with dating foreigners is that they don't undestand a lot of cultural things (and vice versa). For example, Andy Pandy, Jackanory, Blue Peter, Black Jacks, Fruit Salads.flying saucers etc.

That was my childhood. I don't want to spend the rest of my life explaining it to someone or explaining my religion or trying to understand the significance of theirs.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Confuscius

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 5):
Why should I exclude a huge part of the world's female population over issues like nationality , religion or race?

I agree. They may be different colors outside but they're all pink inside.
Ain't I a stinker?

TSS

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:49 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 15):
Sad to hear that & surprisingly too.......Most Indians like the USA.guess he had a bad day & made yours bad too.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 19):
This certainly is not reflective of that particular nationality in general. Every culture has their idiots.

No offense meant towards Indians. It was late when I was typing that and in retrospect I should have said "another country" instead of "India". My humblest apologies.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ALexeu

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:44 pm

I don't judge people on their nationality so none for me.

TylerDurden

Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:20 pm

By design or coincidence..I mostly date ethnic guys.
White boys are just too boring.
Or opposites attract--who knows.

And long as they are hot and rich. (kidding, of course....kind of).

MD11Engineer

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:03 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 27):
By design or coincidence..I mostly date ethnic guys.
White boys are just too boring.

Well, to your partners you are probably just as exotic, I know I am to my fiancee.

Jan

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 25):
No offense meant towards Indians. It was late when I was typing that and in retrospect I should have said "another country" instead of "India". My humblest apologies.

LOL... no offence taken, My Dads ethnic origins are East Indian and my Mum would probably agree with you LOL... She got divorced from my Dad after 17 years. My Father was very strict and my Mum found it hard even though she loved him.

planespotting

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:45 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 11):

No wonder you once said that you liked hanging around Illinois State University more than any other ...

As for me, I'll let Jay-Z answer (FYI mods: you can't ban me for quoting lyrics!):

Quoting Jay-Z, Girls, Girls, Girls from The Blueprint:
I got this Spanish chica, she don't like me to roam
So she call me cabron plus marricon
Said she likes to cook rice so she likes me home
I'm like, "Un momento" - mami, slow up your tempo
I got this black chick, she don't know how to act
Always talkin out her neck, makin her fingers snap
She like, "Listen Jigga Man, I don't care if you rap
You better - R-E-S-P-E-C-T me"
I got this French chick that love to french kiss
She thinks she's Bo Derek, wear her hair in a twist
My, cherie amor, Le est belle
Merci, you fine as fuck but you givin me hell
I got this indian squaw the day that I met her
Asked her what tribe she with, red dot or feather
She said all you need to know is I'm not a ho
And to get with me you better be Chief Lots-a-Dough
Now that's Spanish chick, French chick, indian and black
That's fried chicken, curry chicken, damn I'm gettin fat
Arroz con pollo, french fries and crepe
An appetitite for destruction but I scrape the plate

I love

Girls, girls, girls, girls

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/girlsgirlsgirls.html
Do you like movies about gladiators?

slider

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm

It's not nationality specific, but I do know several Hispanic women who will not date Hispanic men. I don’t know how common that is, but evidently from what I hear around, it's become more rampant lately and Hispanic women will only date white or black men.

Superfly

Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 5):

checkmark 

I could care less about her race. What's important to me is her shape.  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

kmh1956

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:31 pm

I won't date Bermudian men. In my long life here, I've met (and dated) Bermudian men and they are so backwards in their treatment of women.....most prefer a woman to be submissive and put up with anything that he may do, whether it's drinking all night every night and coming home stinking drunk, or having numerous affairs with visiting Americans. Too many of them have spent their entire lives here, with their only travel being short trips to Atlanta, Philadelphia or New York. (Then they consider themselves well-traveled).

The only ones who are a little better and have SOME respect for their women are the ones who have attended universities overseas.

As a Bermudian woman, I find them embarrassing.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

iairallie

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:35 pm

I'd never base a decision on one factor. If I'm attracted to them, they have a good work ethic, treat me well and I enjoy their company it's all a go.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Analog

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 pm

All of them. Mrs. Analog might get annoyed.

I'd have a hard time dating any person that wanted me dead. OTOH it would make for a more exciting relationship.

I'd be quite the trick to find a nationality where everyone wants my ethnic group/nationality dead.

Zuluaviator994

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:39 pm

Quoting Misbeehavin (Reply 6):
This is kinda superficial - but I'd say Australian. That accent just plain hurts my ear so bad, there's no way I'd be able to take a lifetime of listening to her talk. And the ones I end up with, trust me, they can talk!  

ha ha your funny
American to answer.
Jk...I live in America..unforunately  
But I like it here.
And my real, serious, answer: I'd date any girl that'd date me.

[Edited 2008-07-14 16:40:38]
If Speed is life, Altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with the sky.

N867DA

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 35):
I'd have a hard time dating any person that wanted me dead. OTOH it would make for a more exciting relationship.

Pity they made a movie about that (Mr. and Mrs. Smith)...but if Angelina Jolie had killed Brad Pitt, she'd be welcome in my house anytime, day or night!

I second that! As long they won't kill me, convert me, or rob me c'mon over!
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Fly2HMO

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:03 am

All of them.

All of the females I've bothered dating in the past have been bitches in the end, regardless of nationality. Therefore I'm gonna abstain from dating for quite sometime till I find an honestly nice girl.

I find it ironic that lots of girls bitch and moan about the lack of nice guys, yet there's one in every corner, OTOH, I just can't find a nice girl, if there's such a thing...  

Besides, bitches don't deserve me.   

[Edited 2008-07-14 18:04:29]

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:57 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 38):
All of the females I've bothered dating in the past have been bitches in the end, regardless of nationality. Therefore I'm gonna abstain from dating for quite sometime till I find an honestly nice girl. I find it ironic that lots of girls bitch and moan about the lack of nice guys, yet there's one in every corner, OTOH, I just can't find a nice girl, if there's such a thing...

Bitter, party of one?  Wink Hang in there. Time will heal. We're not all bitches.

As for me, I would not exclude any nationality or ethnicity from my potential dating pool (if I was still in it, which I am not). Mr. Harlot is Portuguese and I find him extremely attractive. Bring on the swarthy men!  Smile

Seriously, it's not what's outside that counts, it's what's inside.
But that was when I ruled the world

MCOflyer

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:16 am

I like a girl regardless of where she is from. I do like a girl who is both submissive and dominant. What attracts me: Nice personality, who they are, where they're headed in life, and the activities they participate in.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

N1120A

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:23 am

It has never mattered to me, and there is no reason it should matter to anyone. In fact, it is probably healthier for the gene pool for us all to mix.

Quoting Babybus (Reply 23):
I'm sticking to European, roughly my age, and Catholic only.

How very Mary Queen of Scots of you  Wink
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ShyFlyer

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:15 am

Nationality doesn't really play any role in dating for me. Other than, of course, the whole "so, where are you from..." type get to know you stuff. But no, I won't exclude any nationality.
I lift things up and put them down.

Fly2HMO

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:53 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 39):
Bitter, party of one? Wink

Bitter would be a severe understatement  gnasher 

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 39):
We're not all bitches.

Hmm, now you got me thinking, any nation where there is a lack of bitches?  scratchchin   Wink

Kunoichi

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:40 am

I spend a lot of time in Turkey, and most Turkish guys seem to think of foreign girls as play-things. Even though I haven't had a Turkish boyfriend, I can't go past shaking hands with Turkish guys after an episode a few years back - So dating a Turkish man is well out of the question for me.  crazy 
Also, I'd be wary with anyone who was more than just moderately religious, no matter what religion he had... but I don't think I'd rule anyone out because of religion.

But I know at least that people aren't after my money as I'm hardly rich.  Wink
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

N1120A

Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:25 am

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 22):

I think you are confusing nationality and heritage

No, that is a general mistake made in colloquial American English that he was pointing out.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:45 am

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 44):
But I know at least that people aren't after my money as I'm hardly rich.

Yeah I can see right away when people are not sincere and just looking for financial gain. On the flip side of the coin I cant stand people that wont date another person unless their income is the same or higher than theres as one experience I had when living in the USA. Put me off for good. Also the last thing you want on a date is to hear how many stocks and shares they have.

HAWK21M

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:12 am

Guess dating an Individual that enjoys your company & viseversa is the key.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MillwallSean

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:42 am

Growing up in London and the melting part that is South London nationality is just a word that people who has a need for definitions use to explain what they dont understand. I have dated women from all sort of backgrounds and religions. What matters to me is not nationality but personality.

However there might be different challenges when you date women from different cultures. Some people enjoy these challenges and enjoy different cultural backgrounds, some find it difficult. Its abit like some English prefer to go on holiday to Margate and some prefer to travel the world. I prefer to travel the world and I also prefer to date according to personality.

With this said, I have found that I have enjoyed relationships with Asian or Westindian women more than with western women. Asians in the UK actually refers to people from the Indian subcontinent and not Chinese or SE Asians.
Half of the Indians in London seems to be of East African heritage just to make it even more complicated...

Anyway what I have learnt is that alot of Asian women in the UK are looking for a husband that treat them as equals and allows them to further their career and not be the ones running the household and working fulltime at the same time.
This has led to alot of Indian/Sri Lankan women with higher education preferring to marry western men since they perceive that western men, especially Scandinavians are more equal.
I am not sure if this is a London thing or a general trend. I know that in NZ quite a few Chinese (off al nationalities) women look for western men for the same reason. Alot of them will be disappointed, western men arent all equal and English men are probably the least equal of all Northern Europeans but thats another story...
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

ual757

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:46 am

Should I really post this...

It's kinda offensive!

How about no! Don't wanna get a banned or anything!  Smile