Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bilgerat

RE: What Nationalities Would You Not Date?

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:00 pm

I wouldn't say "never" about any nationality/religion/ethnicity, it's just plain stupid.

My girlfriend is Serbian - you know the ones who are the bad guys of the Balkans, the ones who like to ethnically cleanse their neighbours and start wars.

After visiting Belgrade several times in the last year I find the country to be beautiful, and the people to be warm and friendly, nothing like the beligerant racists western media outlets would have us believe. I can walk the streets of Belgrade at night and feel perfectly safe, which is more than I can say for my native UK and some other countries I have visited!

In fact I am in Belgrade as I write this now, and I am heading off with my girlfriend to Montenegro tomorrow morning for the next few weeks!

Point is, don't base your opinion of someone on the common perception of their country/religion/race/culture!

seb146

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:50 pm

Koreans. They are very rude, I find. I have tried to date Africans and South Asians (Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand), but the gay men are very rare to find to date. I have dated Russians before, but, because of their culture and the way they treat gays in their country, it is very hard to date them. They are good people, though.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Kunoichi

Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:33 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 51):
Koreans. They are very rude,

How so? I'm curious, it's no trick question - honest.  Smile

My boyfriend is half Korean, half japanese (brought up in south korea) - he's one of the most polite people I've ever met. My parents thought he was afraid of them for the longest time.  rotfl 
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

Superfly

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:12 pm

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 44):
But I know at least that people aren't after my money as I'm hardly rich.

Even if you were dirt poor, you would have nothing to worry about.
You are very attractive and which ever man settles down with you will be a very lucky guy.  Cool

Koreans. They are very rude

Uh-oh, you may end up in hot water over that statement. That is a very broad generalization.

I have dated Russians before, but, because of their culture and the way they treat gays in their country, it is very hard to date them.

You are right about how awful they treat gays in their country. Have you seen how they handled Pride marches in Moscow? Have you heard comments by their mayor Yury Luzhkov?
Bring back the Concorde

airtran737

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:39 pm

I refuse to date anyone who is Muslim or Jewish. I just don't want to deal with it. Doesn't matter what country they are from, I don't feel like hearing their crap. Also I won't date any dark, dark Africans. I am talking Manute Bol dark as night black. A nubian princess is all well and good, but I am just not attracted to the dark ones.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Mortyman

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Differences in cultures can also be an issue

An example; I have heard that in general Brazilian girls are more active, self conceius and party going compared to Colombian girls who tend to be more quiet. Is there any truth in this ? Personally I have no experience with either of the type  Smile

I don't think I would have a problem with nationality. What is important is that the person is down to earth, loving, mature and not child like, not stuck up, shallow, share some of my interest and not overly religious.

OA260
Topic Author

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 53):
Have you seen how they handled Pride marches in Moscow? Have you heard comments by their mayor Yury Luzhkov?

There are places in the USA and many European countries that also have such issues its not just Russia for the record !!

Superfly

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:59 pm

OA260:
Not true.
You might want to read up on this before you say it's the same here. It is clearly not. I am sure Seb146 would agree.
We've had this discussion before.
Bring back the Concorde

yooyoo

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:03 pm

I'd never marry a French-Canadian woman born in Cornwall Ontario.  Wink

Seriously, i don't give a rat's ass what nationality they are......but i do prefer dark haired women.  smile 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Analog

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 38):
All of the females I've bothered dating in the past have been bitches in the end, regardless of nationality.

They all had at least one thing in common.  Wink

Koreans. They are very rude, I find

Mrs. Analog would not be amused. Well, she'd be confused; it's not really true. Having spent time in both NYC and Seoul, I'll say the two cities have similar levels of rudeness.

I will generalize and say that Korean men are ruder than Korean women, but that goes for a lot of ethnic groups.

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 54):
I refuse to date anyone who is Muslim or Jewish. I just don't want to deal with it.

"Deal with it"? I know plenty of Jews (and people of other faiths) for whom the religion is strictly a holiday thing. They may proud of their faith/heritage, but they don't make an issue of it. If you're Christian and your spouse is Jewish, Muslim, etc. your kids get to have two sets of holidays.  Smile

N1120A

Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:37 pm

I refuse to date anyone who is Muslim or Jewish. I just don't want to deal with it.

Deal with what?

Doesn't matter what country they are from, I don't feel like hearing their crap.

As opposed to them hearing yours?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

seb146

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:43 am

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 52):
How so? I'm curious, it's no trick question - honest.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 53):
Uh-oh, you may end up in hot water over that statement. That is a very broad generalization.

Maybe it is just in the Pacific Northwest. I have found Koreans around here to have a rude subtext. I had a Korean roommate, and he and his Korean friends never made any effort to socialize with anyone but Koreans. He spoke to me only when he had to. He would watch his Korean shows and I would ask questions to try to relate to him and learn about his culture. His answers were very short. To his credit, he did try. I have tried socializing with other Koreans around here and they are the same: polite but stand-offish.

My apologies to Koreans. What I should have said is: They are distant but it comes off as rude.

I still would not date them.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

N1120A

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 61):

I think it is just cultural misunderstandings. I remember one of the problems that sparked the division between African Americans and Korean Americans was that Korean American shop owners didn't put the change in their African American customer's hands, because it was culturally rude to do so. Most Koreans I have met, and there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, here in Los Angeles, are quite warm people once you talk to them a little bit.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AF340

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:03 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 58):
I'd never marry a French-Canadian woman born in Cornwall Ontario.

laughing 

Imagine her family reunion!

Or how about anyone from Keswick!  Wink

Liam spin 

OA260
Topic Author

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:07 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 57):
OA260:
Not true.
You might want to read up on this before you say it's the same here. It is clearly not. I am sure Seb146 would agree.
We've had this discussion before.

We had the discussion some time back on another thread if you remember . Might be worth digging it out. I never experienced any issues in Russia. The only time I ever got verbal abuse was actually in Chicago !!! Everyone has personal experiences and examples but everyone seems to like to label Russia all the time. Whilst it can be added to the huge list of homophobic countries try adding most of the Baltic states to it and Poland !!

nitrohelper

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm

.........At last I've found the perfect girl,

..........................I could not ask for more.

........................She's deaf & dumb and oversexed,

...............................................and owns a liquor store.

slider

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 41):
It has never mattered to me, and there is no reason it should matter to anyone.

How tolerant of you.

But it DOES matter to people. I don't really care myself much, having dated pretty much every major race, several nationalities, etc. But human nature typically (typically, operative word) gravitates either to someone like them or polar opposite.

But there are numerous valid sociological reasons it does matter. You should at least respect that and not judge it.

yooyoo

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:45 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 63):
Imagine her family reunion!

ok, i admit... i did marry a woman from Cornwall....Frrrrench Canadian  blush  AND!! i've been to their reunion...the family tree has little branches...scary.  Wink

Quoting AF340 (Reply 63):
Or how about anyone from Keswick!

i'm told they have nice dinner jackets.  biggrin 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

AF340

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 67):
ok, i admit... i did marry a woman from Cornwall....Frrrrench Canadian

Awkward...  Wink

Liam spin 

MadameConcorde

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:06 pm

The thread topic is What Nationalities Would You Not Date?

Down here it is totally the opposite. Women come from the world over to Monaco to try and "get" a Monegasque. The men do too.

More than the Gold Rush, it's the Monegasque Rush. Monaco citizenship (for which some are paying a really high price) means a tax free life. The divorce rate after 5 years of marriage is enormous. Divorce lawyers make good money here. Staying married and living with a Monegasque 5 years is what it takes to acquire the world's most coveted citizenship. After 5 years almost all marriages break up.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

GQfluffy

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 69):
the world's most coveted citizenship

You sound sure of yourself. Care to explain why I would want to be a citizen there?
This isn't where I parked my car...

allstarflyer

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:28 pm

I've dated Irish, Italian, Northern European, Arabic, Puerto Rican, Viatnamese, Korean, Chinese and Japanese, blonde, brunette, redheads, and I don't have a problem with pretty much any nationality. As long as she bathes, brushes her teeth and shaves her legs (and armpits), it pretty much all depends on natural attraction after that. Culture does play a part, too, as well as faith, but I've dated girls who I didn't know where they stood on that - but when I was younger, I thought a good reason to date is to find these things out. As far as favorable preferences, I lean toward blondes.

Edited for content

[Edited 2008-07-17 13:44:36]
Living the American Dream

OA260
Topic Author

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 70):
Care to explain why I would want to be a citizen there?

Sounds very false and bordering fraud to me . I certainly wouldn't want that kind of citizenship.

JRadier

Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:53 pm

I wouldn't exclude any nationalities, but I there are a few that I would be less likely to date. On top of that list would be the French. As they say, "France is a beautiful country but too bad the French live there!"

Superfly

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:27 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 64):
I never experienced any issues in Russia. The only time I ever got verbal abuse was actually in Chicago !!! Everyone has personal experiences and examples but everyone seems to like to label Russia all the time. Whilst it can be added to the huge list of homophobic countries try adding most of the Baltic states to it and Poland !!

No doubt, homophobia can be found all over the world. I suggest you read up on the issues surrounding the gay pride in Moscow and comments and actions taken by the mayor and those who were so adamant against gays.
Bring back the Concorde

OA260
Topic Author

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 74):
I suggest you read up on the issues surrounding the gay pride in Moscow and comments and actions taken by the mayor and those who were so adamant against gays.

I am more aware than alot of people on here about that individual situation. I am also aware of the situation in Hungary recently. I can list many other countries where so called democratic EU countries could hang their heads in shame so who are we to judge Russia.

photopilot

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:48 pm

I generally try to avoid dating any "American" women from the USA. They are far too much self-centered, high maintenance, and besotted with themselves. The Princess Syndrome I tend to call it.

I've really enjoyed dating some Latina women from SA who just seem to have a joy for life and don't sweat the small things.

Superfly

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 75):
I am more aware than alot of people on here about that individual situation. I am also aware of the situation in Hungary recently. I can list many other countries where so called democratic EU countries could hang their heads in shame so who are we to judge Russia.

I am certainly not judging Russia as I already indicated that above. I just pointed out a particular event that was inline to what Seb146 pointed out. The situation in Moscow is part of a much bigger problem of rising nationalist attitudes in Eastern-Europe that has resulted in the deaths of thousands of immigrants.
Bring back the Concorde

767Lover

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 70):
You sound sure of yourself. Care to explain why I would want to be a citizen there?

He's saying that

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 69):
Monaco citizenship (for which some are paying a really high price) means a tax free life.

Aaron747

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:56 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 71):
Culture does play a part, too, as well as faith, but I've dated girls who I didn't know where they stood on that - but when I was younger, I thought a good reason to date is to find these things out.

Really? When I was younger I simply thought it was the best way to find out which part of the world tends to perform best in bed  Smile
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

SlamClick

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:03 am

Wouldn't date a woman from the USA.

My wife is too likely to meet her!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

egmcman

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:55 pm

The majority of women in Southend and Rochford where I live I wouldn't say never but at this moment in time less likely to date.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 80):
Wouldn't date a woman from the USA.

My wife is too likely to meet her!

lol

KL642

Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:04 am

Sort of. See, I am Jewish, and religion is based upon the mother. I wouldn't want my kids growing up not sure of which religion they are. My parents have made it known that they want me to marry Jewish, but the most important thing is that she makes me happy. If I find happiness with a Catholic girl, an Asian girl, etc., they will be happy for me.

In the religion side, it would just be very complicated marrying a girl who isn't Jewish, because I wouldn't want to swear my vows to Jesus or another figure that I don't believe in.

While I try to have an open mind, I can safely say that I will never date a Muslim girl, as that religion is having too many conflicts with mine right now. Kinda ironic since a couple friends of mine are Muslim...

I had a Jewish father and a Protestant mother and was not indoctrinated in either religion. My brother married a Catholic girl and it upset my Dad so much that he stubbornly did not go to their wedding. My Mother went to WestHill high and McGill U in Montreal and was very good friends with Bill Shatner (they were in the McGill Players). I always used to joke with her that she married the wrong Jew!
As far as dating goes as long as she is cute and is in to me it wouldn't matter what nationality or ethnic background she hailed from. I have a weakness for Latinas, asian girls, blondes, brunettes, red heads...well you get the picture!
Alex

Dougloid

Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:38 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 67):
ok, i admit... i did marry a woman from Cornwall....Frrrrench Canadian AND!! i've been to their reunion...the family tree has little branches...scary.

My first wife was French Canadian on her mother's side. The experience was unforgettable, and one that I've no interest in reliving.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ScarletHarlot

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:49 am

Quoting KL642 (Reply 82):
My brother married a Catholic girl and it upset my Dad so much that he stubbornly did not go to their wedding.

How awful! For the rest of their lives, your brother and his wife will remember that your dad was not at their wedding. Does your dad regret not going?
But that was when I ruled the world

KL642

Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:12 am

How awful! For the rest of their lives, your brother and his wife will remember that your dad was not at their wedding. Does your dad regret not going?

He was one stubborn man who always thought that he was right no matter what. He didn't come to my wedding either but he wasn't invited as we did not get along.
Alex

iairallie

Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:54 am

Quoting KL642 (Reply 85):
He was one stubborn man who always thought that he was right no matter what. He didn't come to my wedding either but he wasn't invited as we did not get along.
Alex

Wow that is so sad. Your father is missing out on all the most important things how miserable and lonely he must be.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Beaucaire

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:22 am

So- if I analyse the replies so far,the absolute thriller would be a French-Canadian women eventually with an Iranian family-background.. Big grin
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

MSYtristar

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:46 am

I have the mindset of Christian Troy from Nip/Tuck: Variety is the spice of life.  Wink

Seriously...it doesn't matter. It's all about the connection you have with the person. The color of their skin or their religious beliefs, to me, do not amount to a hill of beans in deciding whether or not I would date the person. You like who you like. It's called chemistry...or something like that.

aerorobnz

Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:27 pm

I ONLY date girls with a different background to my own. I get bored with Anglo-Saxon girls as they are usually too familiar because they are just too like me in terms of everything.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ScarletHarlot

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Quoting KL642 (Reply 85):

Ah, that puts a bit of a different spin on things. A career grump is toxic and best avoided. Maybe your brother was glad that your dad did not attend the wedding.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 86):
Your father is missing out on all the most important things how miserable and lonely he must be.

But I'm sure that he is deeply satisfied that he is 'right' and triumphant that nobody pulls the wool over his eyes.  Yeah sure That will be cold comfort to him one day.

I'm sorry you have to deal with such a lousy parent.
But that was when I ruled the world

MSYtristar

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 86):
Your father is missing out on all the most important things how miserable and lonely he must be.

That's quite an assumption to make. Nice job.  Yeah sure

OA260
Topic Author

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 91):
That's quite an assumption to make. Nice job. Yeah sure

But maybe its true maybe its not. People mellow with age and sometimes when its too late they realise what they should have done and now cant. There are issues in most families and you hear many stories of regrets years later . Normally when the parent or person involved is on their death bed.

Theres some truth to the saying ''never part on an arguement''.

iairallie

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:38 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 91):
uoting IAirAllie (Reply 86):

That's quite an assumption to make. Nice job.

How is that quite an assumption to make. The man was not invited to one child's wedding and vetoed the wedding of another. What is more important than maintaining healthy happy family relationships? My brother died in a sudden accident at age 21 everyday I am grateful that he knew I loved him when he died and that we were on good terms. My father and he were not and I know how tortured my Dad feels about that.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!