Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blackbird
Topic Author

How's Australia

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:04 am

What's Australia like?

How's the weather like, what civil rights do Australians enjoy, how's the economy, if this Iran situation happens, will Australia get drawn in? Do immigrants have to serve in the military in order to become citizens, and what's Australia's attitude towards immigrants?

Because quite simply I've lost faith in America, all the civil rights we once championed are being thrown down the toilet one after the other, and we're going downhill -- we're fighting a ridiculous war, we're about to engage in war with Iran, and if so there's going to probably be a draft and I have a younger brother, we're both scared sh*tless, and basically I want to move away out of the US as soon as reasonably possible (Considering Canada and Mexico are included in that NAFTA thing, there's no point in Canada).

Andrea Kent
BTW: Should I disappear, you know who to blame.

Klaus

RE: How's Australia

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:28 am

Quoting Blackbird (Thread starter):

Your own paranoia?

QANTAS077

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:31 am

How's the weather like

well its pissing down right now..but Perth has more sunny days than any other capital city in the world.

what civil rights do Australians enjoy

free to do what you like...

how's the economy

extremely strong, especially here in the West where we have large growth thanks to China & India buying all our minerals, gas & uranium.

if this Iran situation happens, will Australia get drawn in?

no chance of it happening and no chance PM Rudd will get suckered into this mess...Australia has pretty good relations with Iran.

Do immigrants have to serve in the military in order to become citizens, and what's Australia's attitude towards immigrants?

we don't have any military service requirements, your free to join, your free not to join..its up to you.

coming from a family of immigrants I'd say that attitudes have changed, it used to be that Asians, Europeans and anyone that didn't speak English copped a hard time, we're generally accepting of everyone down here.

we're fighting a ridiculous war

so are we...but not to the same extent.

we're about to engage in war with Iran

no your not.

if you've got a particular skill it would be a distinct advantage, check the Australian Embassy website.

http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/

aa61hvy

Should I disappear, you know who to blame.

Your neighbors?
Go big or go home

Jpax

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
Your own paranoia?

checkmark 

And yes, run away from serving your country. We are better off without you anyway. If my country was in dire need (i.e., draft), I sure as hell would not be a coward, such as you.

we're about to engage in war with Iran,

About to? Really? Fascinating.

vikkyvik

Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:23 am

You mean we know who to thank?  duck 

Hell, I may not agree with the current wars or how they've been handled, but if I were drafted, I like to think I would never turn my back on the country that's given me so much.

Would I be scared shitless? You bet your ass I would. But life ain't all candy and roses, and I think I'd come out of it a better person.

So yeah, I don't think I've ever said this before, but don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Jetsgo

Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:43 am

I highly doubt the Australians would want you, Andrea.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

planewasted

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:05 am

No one can know you if you will like it, just travel there and spend a few months there. I find Australia very nice. Maybe you should start by living in Canada for a while? I have heard that it is a very nice and free country. Or maybe Sweden?  Wink

I think you will realise that there are a lot of nice countries in the world, but your home country will always be your home country and you will start to miss it after a while.  Smile

WunalaYann

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:32 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 2):
Perth has more sunny days than any other capital city in the world.

Newsflash - since when has Perth been the capital of Australia?  biggrin  Oh, sorry, you're talking about that state with all the holes in the ground and two shitty footy teams?  Wink

free to do what you like...

Provided Rupert Murder agrees, of course.  Smile

extremely strong, especially here in the West where we have large growth thanks to China & India buying all our minerals, gas & uranium.

Which means it's a great time to be a bloke on the Eastern seaboard because all the guys have fled to the West to make money. While I am here collecting those lonely female hearts...  sun 

no chance of it happening and no chance PM Rudd will get suckered into this mess..

Hmmm... *not convinced*

coming from a family of immigrants I'd say that attitudes have changed, it used to be that Asians, Europeans and anyone that didn't speak English copped a hard time, we're generally accepting of everyone down here.

checkmark  Roger that. You've accepted me so I guess anyone can make it...  Wink

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 6):
I highly doubt the Australians would want you, Andrea.

See above.  Wink

More generally, Andrea, unless you post of picture of yourself, we won't know for sure.

MadameConcorde

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:39 am

I have thought of moving to Queensland too... Only I don't know if Australia grants resident/work visas. I bet it's not easy!!

I loved the Northern part of Queensland from Brisbane up to Cape York. Cairns is a fantastic place, great atmosphere not talking about the clear blue waters, just the way I like.

Also this would get me closer to French Polynesia and New Caledonia. Love them places too!!
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

WunalaYann

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:46 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 9):
Only I don't know if Australia grants resident/work visas. I bet it's not easy!!

You've just won your bet. Too bad you didn't bet a fortune on it because you'd have made one.

Bloody difficult to get in here.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 9):
Cairns is a fantastic place, great atmosphere not talking about the clear blue waters, just the way I like.

yes 

QANTAS077

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:03 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 10):

...its how it should remain too

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 8):
two shitty footy teams?

you'd be surprised to know that I actually grew up following Carlton, it wasn't until 1991 that I took a shining to the Eagles, not because I necessarily liked the team, but because it was the only team representing the state in a sport that I grew up around.

I still have a very soft spot for Carlton & if the WAFL was still strong here I'd never set foot into an Eagles or Dockers match, I go because I enjoy footy and that's the best we have on offer over here.

MadameConcorde

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:04 am

They seem to even block visitors from some particular countries and they look a tad racist too.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world-you...fuls/2008/07/14/1215887540811.html

I am sure if a company/employer wants you, they will arrange for the work/resident visa, yet maybe they will give priority to Australians for the same job even without the same skills as the foreigners.

[Edited 2008-07-15 00:07:52]

WunalaYann

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:11 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 12):
I am sure if a company/employer wants you, they will arrange for the work/resident visa, yet maybe they will give priority to Australians for the same job even without the same skills as the foreigners.

Good luck with that...

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 11):
...its how it should remain too

Agreed. Not enough water.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 11):
I actually grew up following Carlton

That's ok, nobody's perfect. I am still talking to you.  silly 

Go Saints. I think that should put an end to the discussion.  Wink

they look a tad racist too.

If you refer to the horror of the Aborigines' genocide, yes, absolutely. Otherwise, well, it's just like any other place in the world - some people are afraid of what is different and/or cannot understand it.

France has gone to the other extreme - the white christian guy is the culprit. He simply is too racist and dumb to understand that it is ok to vent one's frustration by beating up on other people and law enforcement officers, torching cars, burning schools and stoning firemen and ambulances.

Yeah, right.  sarcastic 

QANTAS077

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:13 am

They seem to even block visitors from some particular countries and they look a tad racist too.

hold up a minute, this is government bullshit that didn't grant the visas, don't use the racist label unless you know the full criteria that must be met.

I'll tell you from now..the African countries mentioned would've drawn immediate suspicion because more often than not they disappear into the community never to be seen again.

that was a problem at both the Commonwealth & Olympic games down here.

as for the other 3 nations it would be pure because the criteria is not met, nothing different there, it happens every day in Australia at customs and border control.

MadameConcorde

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:28 am

Up to the French president and government to decide what has to be done about this problem. After all it is the majority of the citizens who have voted for Sarko and Co. and put them at the top.

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 13):
it is ok to vent one's frustration by beating up on other people and law enforcement officers, torching cars, burning schools and stoning firemen and ambulances.

mal787

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:17 am

Quoting PlaneWasted (Reply 7):
think you will realise that there are a lot of nice countries in the world, but your home country will always be your home country and you will start to miss it after a while.

I disagree with that Plane Wasted, I left the UK 33 years ago, its a great place for a holiday but no way on earth could i live there again

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 14):

Australia keeps out the ones that do not meet certain enrty requirments, race color or creed has nothing to do with it. So Madame please do not make assumptions based on no facts . Find out why they were rejected then make a comment.

mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

jetmech

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:20 am

Australia is a figment of your imagination. A great conspiracy was set in motion just after you were born. The ruse is all encompassing and complete, far in advance of anything you may have seen on the Truman show.

The aim was to convince you that a Great Southern continent existed so that in due time, your true patriotic leanings toward your home country could be ascertained. Don't try and migrate here, as you will find nothing but a vast, empty tract of the Pacific Ocean.

The only continent in the Southern regions of the Pacific Ocean is New Zealand. People who pertain to be communicating with you from Australia, are in fact locked away in small dark room located at CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

JetMech

B.T.W.

Because I have well and truly let the cat out of the bag, it is guaranteed, that within the next few hours, I will either "disappear", "commit suicide", "ingest potent toxins", be "accidentally" shot by Dick Cheney, be found hanging from a noose, stub my big toe and subsequently die from infection, have my various body-parts widely dispersed by explosion, drown, get run over, fall down a deep mineshaft, be a victim of a SCUBA diving accident, mysteriously age 50 years in a few minutes, or find myself getting water-boarded at Guantanamo Bay. When either or all of this happens, you know who is responsible.
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

AA7295

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 am

What's Australia like?

How's the weather like, what civil rights do Australians enjoy, how's the economy, if this Iran situation happens, will Australia get drawn in? Do immigrants have to serve in the military in order to become citizens, and what's Australia's attitude towards immigrants?

Because quite simply I've lost faith in America, all the civil rights we once championed are being thrown down the toilet one after the other, and we're going downhill -- we're fighting a ridiculous war, we're about to engage in war with Iran, and if so there's going to probably be a draft and I have a younger brother, we're both scared sh*tless, and basically I want to move away out of the US as soon as reasonably possible (Considering Canada and Mexico are included in that NAFTA thing, there's no point in Canada).

As someone who is citizen of the USA and Australia and has lived in both countries, I can honestly say there are only a few differences between the countries. I think Americans, for the first time, are going through 'tough times'. For too long you have lived on credit and lived a lifestyle above your means (this is of course a generalisation). I think you take too much for granted, perhaps try living somewhere else in the US before making such a drastic move to Australia.

Don't get my wrong, Australia is a beautiful country, and I love it, however I love America more, and my allegiance is with god and country, not queen and country. I've said it before, Australia is about 30% American due to the sheer influence of American media and business, 40% British due to Australia's roots to the Commonwealth, and there is about 30% of our own unique Australian identity nestled somewhere in there. Alas, that is my perception. If you are under 30, you **may** be eligble for a one year working holiday visa.

All the best.

NG1Fan

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:49 am

Or try the 457 temporary skilled visa. Serious shortage of labour in Australia right now. This visa category allows you to work in your chosen profession for up to three years. Good try-before-you-buy scheme. This will also make eventual migration a little easier.

NG1Fan

melpax

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 8):
Which means it's a great time to be a bloke on the Eastern seaboard because all the guys have fled to the West to make money. While I am here collecting those lonely female hearts...

Aaah, tha 'man drought'!

I spent the day working out of one of my employers city offices (I normally work in Box Hill) & had a walk around town at lunch. My, the talent! And this is in the middle of winter.....

jfk69

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:20 am

Please please please buy a one way ticket and get the hell out.

Too bad NWA742 is nowhere to be found right now.

AircraftGeek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 am

Because quite simply I've lost faith in America, all the civil rights we once championed are being thrown down the toilet one after the other, and we're going downhill -- we're fighting a ridiculous war, we're about to engage in war with Iran, and if so there's going to probably be a draft and I have a younger brother, we're both scared sh*tless, and basically I want to move away out of the US as soon as reasonably possible

Reforms and innovations in a country are done inside by the willing, hard working citizens, only cowards run away when they smell problems, IMHO. (Don't be offended, though  Smile)

AircraftGeek
BTW: Should I disappear, you know who to blame, mother nature.
Nothing is fool-proof given a sufficiently skilled fool

signol

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 am

Emigrating to a country is completely different to visiting - there will be a lot to learn if you decied to go ahead with the plan. Personally, I quite like Oz, only downside is the amount of fatal wildlife!

And for those Americans who are saying "good riddance" - please don't forget that, aside from the indigenous population and those transported as slaves, every single one of your ancestors did exactly that - left their country because they wanted a better life elsewhere.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

WunalaYann

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:55 am

Quoting Melpax (Reply 20):
My, the talent! And this is in the middle of winter.....

I go literally blind any other time than winter, mate. It's even dangerous when I'm driving, can't keep my eyes on the road. That's why I'm such a PT/walking/cycling advocate - it's safer, and you get closer to the action.

Smile

767Lover

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:27 pm

You may have a problem emigrating to Australia; my British friends tried to move their before ultimately moving to the US. Australia denied them, which was surprising since they were UK citizens.

However, I suggest you proceed as soon as possible. Best of luck to you!

P.S. Can you be more specific about which "civil rights" have gone down the toilet? (And I mean rights that we previously did have that have been taken away; gay marriage was not a previously granted right). This sweeping statement gets said a lot, but there is little distinction about which rights -- and nothing is mentioned about how the passage of time or new developments might legitimately necessitate changes.

Arrow

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:56 pm

I want to move away out of the US as soon as reasonably possible (Considering Canada and Mexico are included in that NAFTA thing, there's no point in Canada).

Just curious -- why would NAFTA affect the decision? It's just a trade agreement.

Quoting Signol (Reply 23):
And for those Americans who are saying "good riddance" - please don't forget that, aside from the indigenous population and those transported as slaves, every single one of your ancestors did exactly that - left their country because they wanted a better life elsewhere.

I too get a chuckle over the reactions of a handful of Americans who see a decision to go somewhere else as akin to treason. Must be something in the water.

I'd cheerfully relocate to Australia if an opportunity came up -- not forever, but just for the experience. I spent a month in Queensland a few years ago and I'm itching to get back (as soon as I overcome my irrational fear of venomous snakes and spiders).
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

SBBRTech

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:43 pm

all the civil rights we once championed are being thrown down the toilet

Not sure about those, but giving the offended folks here I'd say your so loved "freedom of speech" and "freedom of going wherever the hell you want" seem nothing but an illusion.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

Blackbird
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:49 pm

Jpax,

Quote:
And yes, run away from serving your country. We are better off without you anyway. If my country was in dire need (i.e., draft), I sure as hell would not be a coward, such as you.

You believe it's acceptable to be forced against your will to serve your country in a war that was based on lies and nonsense and has no long-term benefit except empire-building (which is against what our founding fathers intended America to be)?

WunalaYann,

Quote:
Provided Rupert Murder agrees, of course.  Smile

Huh?

Jpax

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 28):

You believe it's acceptable to be forced against your will to serve your country in a war that was based on lies and nonsense and has no long-term benefit except empire-building

Assuming you are referencing Iraq, nobody has been forced to go there. Everyone there is a volunteer, my cousin included. Hell, even civilians have gone over there on their own accord to try their own way about rebuilding. Yes, Iraq has long ago gone off course. If anything, we should have went in, taken out Saddam, and gotten the hell out before the bee hive erupted with a bunch of barbarian extremists bred to hate Westerners.

As far as a draft and Iran, it will not happen. Everyone knows the consequences involved, and as "stupid" as Bush is, he won't ever do it. As for a draft in general, should there be one on my armed-forces-qualified-lifetime, I sure as hell would do what I am assigned to do to defend my country. I could not comprehend the physical and emotional effects that a "kill or be killed" environment would do on me, but I would rather come home shot up, beat up, or in a casket with an American Flag on it than cower from serving my home that has given me so much.

founding fathers

In the time of our founding fathers, you would have probably been hanged for trying to jump ship so you don't have to fight. Luckily for you, you live in a country in which people died fighting for your right for talk smack about it.

Enjoy Australia.

OzTech

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 18):
about 30% of our own unique Australian identity nestled somewhere in there

Unfortunately mate.. Just like the UK and a few other once great countries.... The massive influx of migrants (Asian countries and Muslim backgrounds) that was once encouraged to add to the cultural diversity of this "once great southern land" has now forced us into the corner with political correctness and the racial vilification card being used all the time when we try to go about our normal day to day activities...
I won't begin to go into the things we now can not do for fear of offending people who of their own free will came to my country...
I am not a "racist" before the call gets made.. I just want to go about my normal day to day life.. same as I did 10 or 20 years ago...
Is it too much to to ask not to read some radical cleric telling Australians that he and other members of his belief should be allowed to marry more than one woman.. Is it too much to ask that I be allowed to swim in my public swimming pool 7 days a week without it being closed for a day to allow members of another faith to swim without having to mingle with the indigenous members and "other new Australian" members of the community.
Give us a break.. Integrate or migrate back.. Remember where you came from by all means but remember where the hell you are.....
No defect too big, no defect too small, nothing in the log --- No defect at all !!

Blackbird
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Quote:
In the time of our founding fathers, you would have probably been hanged for trying to jump ship so you don't have to fight.

True! However, being a woman, I wouldn't have been forced to fight. I've heard rumblings a few years back (when the Iraq war started) that if there was a draft now, they would draft women

Andrea Kent

QANTAS077

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:22 pm

Quoting OzTech (Reply 30):
Is it too much to to ask not to read some radical cleric telling Australians that he and other members of his belief should be allowed to marry more than one woman..

well we've got to put up with Mormons, Jehova's, Catholics & every other religion knocking on our door on a Sunday morning, what's wrong this cleric having his views? at least we'll only see him on TV once in a blue-moon, the others annoy the shit out of you whenever they feel like it.

Is it too much to ask that I be allowed to swim in my public swimming pool 7 days a week without it being closed for a day to allow members of another faith to swim without having to mingle with the indigenous members and "other new Australian" members of the community.

so you miss a day? build a bridge or stick a pool in your backyard, you sound like a whining pom.

Give us a break.. Integrate or migrate back..

like going out & getting on the piss & screaming Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie, oi oi oi...great.

MillwallSean

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:30 pm

Blackbird. Leave, not because you have lost faith in a country but because its an experience that will teach you more than you can understand. Living in many different countries is good and something thats really, really educating.
Try it for a few years if you dont like it move back or try another country.
Wars and stupid politicians exists from time to time in every country, thats shouldnt be the reason for moving. Move because you want to go to something not away from something.

I can give you lots of advice about moving overseas having moved to NZ, if you want anything just send me a message.

I will tell you my very own honest impression of Australia. I only spent about half a year in Australia so I am no expert on it
And to all you Aussies, its quite possible that I will be back in 2009 due to work...

Good sides
People - they are so friendly it hurts as soon as you get out of Sydney CBD. People are genuinely caring and takes time to help you. Cant say a bad word about them.
People again
People again
Safety - felt really safe to hang out. A few burglaries due to bad quality buildings but safer than any western country I have visted.
The Weather
Science - It takes preference over religion.
Wine - really good wine.
Local women absolutely love foreign men. I thought I was Brad Pitt until I looked myself in the mirror.
Decent public transport
People listen and dont scream
Australians know that there is an outside world. They are influenced mainly by Europe and most of them have travelled overseas.

Bad sides.
Housing
One-glass windows, plasterboardwalls, carpets on the floors (broadloom), prewired spotlights in the roofs and painted walls. Insulation in houses were an extra, Apparently newer houses have it. I lived in a new building and assumed my house had insulation because it kept itself hot, still had to buy an electrical heater though because there werent any radiators installed...

Internet.
When I first worked there my company demanded me to use a connection with minimum 25 mb/s upstream. I couldnt get it. It wasnt for sale. Unbeliveable. Fibercables into residential houses were at that time SciFi for the Australians.

Clothes & Style
Shirts hanging outside and a pair of jeans and your set. Women often dresses in non designer jeans and wear a simple tight sweater with it. Fashion is not one of the things the average Aussie spends much time on.
Surfwear is popular, even in the city!
Lingerie, aussie women and men are stoneage.

Sports
They are great at sports no one else takes seriously. I can live with that but the ego that comes with winning in triathlon, swimming or some other unheard of sport is very annoying. Come back when you are good in Atlethics, football, handball, basketball, golf, tennis, badminton, figureskating, skiing or any of the other worldwide sports but dont try to give it the bigun when you win the flyfishing championships.
They're brilliant in cricket though. Rugby league or union is not a sport thats played seriously in more than 5 countries.
However I loved AFL.No other foreigners did but I absolutely loved that game.

The sad part
The natives tend to be drunks and really behave bad. I am sure its due to colonialism etc but lets face it, they dont give a great impression of themselves.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

WunalaYann

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Provided Rupert Murder agrees, of course. Smile

Huh?

Never mind.  Smile

Zuluaviator994

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 pm

Go Saints.

Yes! I love St. Kilda, in memory of Gramps... Smile

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 33):
They are great at sports no one else takes seriously. I can live with that but the ego that comes with winning in triathlon, swimming or some other unheard of sport is very annoying. Come back when you are good in Atlethics, football, handball, basketball, golf, tennis, badminton, figureskating, skiing or any of the other worldwide sports but dont try to give it the bigun when you win the flyfishing championships.

Oi ( Wink), are you saying that swimming ISN'T a serious sport? Take that up with Nick D'Arcy! Lol.
Actually, swimming is a great sport, so be careful what you say here  Smile
If Speed is life, Altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with the sky.

AA7295

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:53 pm

Is it too much to to ask not to read some radical cleric telling Australians that he and other members of his belief should be allowed to marry more than one woman.. Is it too much to ask that I be allowed to swim in my public swimming pool 7 days a week without it being closed for a day to allow members of another faith to swim without having to mingle with the indigenous members and "other new Australian" members of the community.
Give us a break.. Integrate or migrate back.. Remember where you came from by all means but remember where the hell you are.....

I have not the foggiest idea of what you are talking about? I'm an American/Australian Catholic, not a mormon or a muslim?

Good sides
People - they are so friendly it hurts as soon as you get out of Sydney CBD. People are genuinely caring and takes time to help you. Cant say a bad word about them.
People again
People again
Safety - felt really safe to hang out. A few burglaries due to bad quality buildings but safer than any western country I have visted.
The Weather
Science - It takes preference over religion.
Wine - really good wine.
Local women absolutely love foreign men. I thought I was Brad Pitt until I looked myself in the mirror.
Decent public transport
People listen and dont scream
Australians know that there is an outside world. They are influenced mainly by Europe and most of them have travelled overseas.

Really, this is the same experience for foreigners in most westernised countries in the world. No matter whether you're lost in Montana, Sasketchewan or Bristol, the locals will most likely be friendly and help you out. The thing about Australia, is that there is such a novelty factor about it, and I fail to see what is SOOOOOOO great about Australia. Canadians and British tourists would kill to live here, but I just don't see what is so great about Australia that is **unique** to it. I guess people have positive perceptions of Australia and people by and large remember the positive perceptions over the negative perceptions.

At the end of the day, each country has its plus's and minus's. I'm not questioning your potential move to Australia. I'm questioning the motives behind your move. Every country has its ups and downs. I would suggest waiting till Obama gets in and you will most likely see a change in spirit in the US.

Are you sure the reasons for your stated move are accurate. Leaving your friends, family, jobs, and way of life, because you are scared of the direction of your country is a pretty piss-weak reason for moving overseas. If it was a person

Also, to clarify.... THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DOES NOT HAVE A MILITARY DRAFT IN ANY FORM. This was discontinued in 1973, so you have nothing to worry about.

WunalaYann

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:10 am

I won't even mention the obvious "swimming" as another poster has rightly pointed out. Cricket is watched by more than 1.5 billion people on Earth, not exactly some Scottish traditional tree-tossing...

Atlethics

Peter Norman? Jana Pitman?

football

Lost 1-0 in injury time to Italy in 2006. It takes time to make a sport take root somewhere but Aussies are getting there...

basketball

Routinely Olympics semi-finalists... "Bogut" anyone?

golf, tennis

Who cares about golf anyway, but let's assume someone does - you picked two sports at which Australia has historically been a world power. Things have changed in the past twenty years but do you really need me to spell out "Greg Norman" or "Rod Laver"?  Smile

figureskating, skiing

World-wide sports? You gotta be joking. They need ice and snow. These mere two factors rule out 2/3 of mankind. Not exactly world-wide, no.  Smile

Want to check your facts, mate?  Wink

cragley

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:33 am

How's Australia?

We're great thanks!

Thanks for asking  Smile

Phoenix9

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:37 am

Quoting Cragley (Reply 38):
We're great thanks!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

-Signed
B747forever
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

Springbok747

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:44 am

Not really, if you have the right skills and meet the points requirement, its easy.

redflag  The dept of immigration has set out certain rules and if you don't meet those then you can't come here. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with race, colour, nationality etc. Just come down here and see how many Sudanese refugees we have accepted over the years.

Go Saints. I think that should put an end to the discussion.

Pfft...Go Crows  Wink

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 37):
Jana Pitman?

Ah you mean the drama queen who is now training for the London Olympics?  Yeah sure

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 32):
well we've got to put up with Mormons, Jehova's, Catholics & every other religion knocking on our door on a Sunday morning,

Tell me about it. Ran into two Mormons this morning on my way out..told them politely to f*ck off.
אני תומך בישראל

Zuluaviator994

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:03 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 40):
Pfft...Go Crows  

pfft, if you say so. Go Saints  Wink
If Speed is life, Altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with the sky.

Zuluaviator994

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:23 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 37):
I won't even mention the obvious "swimming" as another poster has rightly pointed out.

Agreed  Wink
Feel free to quote me in future  Smile

WunalaYann

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:37 am

Pfft...Go Crows

Hey. You people were my pick to win the flag the past three years (despite my being a Saints fan), and you have let me down three years in a row. Now continue to rot in that stinkhole called AAMI thingy and let me be grumpy in peace.  biggrin 

Not really, if you have the right skills and meet the points requirement, its easy.

Which my family and I did - but it was a pain in pretty much every body part, not to mention obscenely expensive, to prove it to Immifuckingration.  Wink

Ah you mean the drama queen who is now training for the London Olympics?

Tell me about it. On the front page of the Age again yesterday. Boring.  bored 

But still a great athlete.

In her prime.

35 years ago.

silly 

told them politely to f*ck off.

Hmm... How exactly did you go about telling someone where to go, politely?  Smile

Quoting ZuluAviator994 (Reply 41):
pfft, if you say so. Go Saints

Good man.  bigthumbsup 

Springbok747

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:32 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 43):
Hey. You people were my pick to win the flag the past three years (despite my being a Saints fan), and you have let me down three years in a row. Now continue to rot in that stinkhole called AAMI thingy and let me be grumpy in peace.

Wait and see. There's always next year..or the year after that  Wink Oh and that AAMI thingy sucks BTW..transport to that place is a pain and people act like bloody pigs inside.

not to mention obscenely expensive, to prove it to Immifuckingration.

Tell me about it. My cousin is trying to come here (he's got a UK passport..so I thought it would be easy, but apparently not). I think he has spent something like $2000 so far..and still has a long way to go.

35 years ago.

Dude..isn't she like 25?  Silly

Hmm... How exactly did you go about telling someone where to go, politely?

Just gave them a cold stare and told them not to disturb anyone at home..as they were all asleep.
אני תומך בישראל

WunalaYann

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:49 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 44):
There's always next year..or the year after that

La di da...

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 44):
My cousin is trying to come here (he's got a UK passport..so I thought it would be easy, but apparently not). I think he has spent something like $2000 so far..and still has a long way to go.

I sympathise with your cuz. I hope he makes it. I don't want to be the party pooper, but my parents spent over $25 000 in all - most of it in lawyer's fees to "plead" their "case" to AusImmig.

Regarding Europe/Aus/NZ residency - can we stop being stupid for a second? I mean, I'm French and have no British ascendency whatsoever (well, at least no one ever told me otherwise). Yet I can freely move to London and live there happily ever after without the slightest worry, provided I work and pay taxes (obvious). Ok.

Now you guys ALL have at least half of your family currently living in the UK BUT you need to apply for a shitload of stuff to go there, it costs a fortune and is gloriously unproductive.

Same in reverse.

I mean, come on.  banghead 

Just to think that we're talking about a Mediterranean my-backside Union and bringing Turkey into the EU but Aussies, Canucks and Kiwis are not automatically granted residency in the EU (and EU citizens in Oz/Can/NZ either). That's just BS.

Common sense anyone?

pilotdude09

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:04 am

Hows Aussie?

Absolutely terrible, everyone shoots everyone, mass murders everyday, INSANE drivers, crazy people, a communist government.....need i go on???

So my advice would be to not move here.

Wink
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

fridgmus

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:10 am

Spent two weeks this last May touring Victoria and Tasmania on a Harley.

It was my dream trip and it exceeded my expectations. Rode the Great Ocean Road, explored the Grampions and rode all over Tasmania. We stayed on backroads mostly. Every Australian I met ended up a friend. To say that Australia is beautiful would be the understatement of all time! (IMHO) A day doesn't go by without me thinking of my trip. Obsessed? Maybe. Who cares, I love the place!

I was even offered a job as a welder (I'm a certified structural welder). I might try to take it but I'm 47 and the cutoff is 45. There are some commercial companies that claim that they can help you get a visa for a price even if you are over the age limit. Don't know how effective they are. Something to look into.

And I even like Australian Football!

All I know is I can't wait to get back to the Land Down Under!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

iairallie

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:21 am

Australia has is considered by many even more difficult to emmigrate to than the US. Good luck unless you have something really unique and valuable to offer skillswise.

I have Aussie/US/Canadian citizenship. I consider myself American and I feel more at home in Australia than I do Canada (where I actually lived for about a 5th of my life). I feel Australians more closely share American values and spirit.

Honestly, I don't think someone like you would be anymore comfortable there. Frankly as an immigrant and new citizen of the US I don't have much use for self loathing people like you nor do most of the Australians I know.

We aren't perfect by far but we are a good nation who does our best and I for one am sick of ignorant people who have never lived or experienced anything significant beyond our borders running the US down.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

DocLightning

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:43 am

Quoting Jpax (Reply 4):

If they have a draft, then we'd better be in dire need. Campaigns in Iran and Iraq are not examples of such. Last time we had a REAL war, because a real power attacked us and there was a definition of "winning" Americans showed up.

And if it happens again, then we'll show up again.

I'm also looking into getting out if McCain wins. If that happens, then the United States, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave will be truly dead, and I will have no allegiance to the rotting corpse it will leave behind.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan