Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Falcon84
Topic Author

FOX: Bush May Attack Iran If Obama Wins Election

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:52 am

I think we've mentioned this in other Iran threads, but the fact that Bill Krystol, who is a close confidant of VPOTUS Dick Cheney, would say this on a news program, gives such talk some credence.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/22/kristol-bush-iran/

If Mr. Bush were to start a war, based solely on who he and his advisors think is going to win the election, Congress should bring him up on charges of some sort, as this would be, in my mind, a gross violation of his powers as C-in-C. And it would be, I believe, a long-term disaster for the Republican Party, if a GOP president would start a war based on such criteria.

Your thoughts.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Cadet57

RE: FOX: Bush May Attack Iran If Obama Wins Election

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:03 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
Congress should bring him up on charges of some sort

Not saying you are wrong. But what, exactly can Congress charge him with? Furthermore, last time I checked, the president needed congressional approval to go to war.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

czbbflier

RE: FOX: Bush May Attack Iran If Obama Wins Electi

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:04 am

Mere speculation at this point. Besides, if that really were a plan, do you think the White House, through Cheney and then this mouth-piece would actully announce such a plan on national television? There are some really crafty buggers working under a veil of idiocy in this administration but the craftiest ones, allied with Cheney, wouldn't be so stupid.

To even talk about charges over something like this is waaaaaaaaaaay premature.

Tell you what, Falcon84.... let's cross that bridge when we get to it.  Smile

stlgph

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:05 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 1):
Furthermore, last time I checked, the president needed congressional approval to go to war.

oh ... really ?!?!?!
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Cadet57

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:06 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 3):
oh ... really ?!?!?!
Yeah? Or should I just quit while im behind? I just feel dumb now...

Wait, I realize it now. War powers act of 1973, president needs to give congressional notice within 48 hours of a troop deployment. And troops cannot act for more then 60 days without congressional approval.

[Edited 2008-07-17 20:09:07]

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:06 am

Not saying you are wrong. But what, exactly can Congress charge him with? Furthermore, last time I checked, the president needed congressional approval to go to war.

Under the 1973 War Powers Act, the president can commit troops to battle, and has to report to Congress within 48 hours of hostilities being launched. In other words, it's a done deal when the President must report to Congress.

So, under this law, which was one of the worst laws ever passed by a Congress, the president can go to war without Congressional approval.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:07 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 4):

Yeah? Or should I just quit while im behind? I just feel dumb now...

rotfl  At least you caught it in pretty good time, Cadet. No harm, no foul, my friend.
Work Right, Fly Hard

stlgph

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:08 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 4):

http://www.world-flags-symbols.com/_img_nations1/iraqflag.png

Cadet57

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 5):

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 6):

Quoting STLGph (Reply 7):

Yes, yes. Thank you all! Good night!

rotfl 

Cadet57

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:11 am

Under the 1973 War Powers Act, the president can commit troops to battle, and has to report to Congress within 48 hours of hostilities being launched. In other words, it's a done deal when the President must report to Congress.

So, under this law, which was one of the worst laws ever passed by a Congress, the president can go to war without Congressional approval

See what happens when your college only mandates one civics class? But no seriously I knew that there was a congressional amendment about it, just totally flaked on what it said  confused 

sv7887

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:13 am

It makes no sense because they are actively engaging them in diplomacy at the moment. Even Bush isn't crazy enough to risk all the progress they made in Iraq to start a third front that the military is not equipped to handle.

A lot of what we're seeing in the press is posturing, none of us know what is going on behind the scenes.

We have a few players here:

1) Iran--- Dealing with their own economic troubles and general discontent amongst the masses. The Nuclear Program has been a great distraction to the general public as the Iranians have spun into in a confrontation with the West..

In return the EU and the US have slapped some targeted economic sanctions that must be hurting the Mullahs..

The mullahs at the end of the day want to stay in power..All that missile launches were for domestic content so they don't appear weak..

For all their bluster, Iran knows a direct war with the US or Israel guarantees their removal. It's not smart politics..Their nuclear program is worth a lot to them, but not enough to risk their power and position for.

They are better off continuing their guerrilla/proxy war against the US in Iraq and Israel via their Hezbollah thugs in Lebanon

2) You have the US, mired in Afghanistan and coming off a few good months in Iraq. Why stir the pot now and risk all the progress they've made?

President Bush is in the twilight of his Presidency and probably is very concerned about his legacy..Why screw it up even further? Starting a war in Iran guarantees the GOP is screwed for years if not decades in the mind of a war-weary American public.

Even if Iran has a nuke, they are no threat to the Americans...If one nuke goes off in America Iran will be a parking lot within a few hours..Even the Mullahs get that

Bush knows he's in a weak spot and diplomacy is the only way for both Iran and the US to save face and portray their actions as a Victory to their respective constituents.

I think this Fox story is pure posturing to simply show Bush is acting tough, when he's really acting out of weakness.

Iran knows the US has no appetite for a war, and they know the US Military is a shadow of what they were 20 yrs ago. It's not that the Military can be beaten, they just don't have the capacity to fight another full scale war.

3) You have Israel who has the most to fear. They've enjoyed military superiority in the Middle East for a very long time. A nuke in the hands of the Iranians is a great equalizer. I still don't think the Mullahs are crazy enough to send a nuke to Tel Aviv, but they will use it as blackmail over the Israeli's head much like Pakistan does to India. Do a google search on the Kargil War in 1999, where Pakistan threatened to use Nuclear weapons in order to prevent a total defeat. thank god Bill Clinton put a stop to that.

As a result, Israel will be forced to tolerate Iran's proxy Hezbollah thuggery. If Israel decides to engage in open warfare, Iran will hold the nukes over their head as blackmail..

If there is anyone who might act out rashly to an Obama victory it's Israel. They have the most to fear here. The Iranian president's threats are primarily for domestic consumption, but Iran isn't exactly a peace loving country. (Hezbollah, the kidnapping of those British sailors, storming the US embassy in 1979, skirmishes in the gulf in 1988, etc)

They too have a weak and likely corrupt leader PM Olmert at the wheel. I don't know how this survived the Second Lebanon War debacle and now charges of corruption...

Hopefully the sound minds of the IDF and Mossad will prevail here and stop Olmert from any half assed military campaigns..

I hope this can be solved diplomatically but I am not too optimistic. An armed conflict with Iran will have serious repercussions even if it is Israel who bombs Iran..

-Sam

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:14 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 9):

Don't keep beating yourself over it!

....STLGph and I are doing that part just fine.  Big grin Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

Cadet57

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 11):
Don't keep beating yourself over it!

....STLGph and I are doing that part just fine.

Hahaha. Yeah. Here I was going in thinking "gee, I'll be constructive with Falcon for a change..."and look where it got me!  laughing 

stlgph

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 11):

wave 

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:22 am

All merriment aside over Cadet57's little faux pas, just the thought of ANY President launching a war because of the outcome/possible outcome of an election to put in his successor is-or was, up till now-absolutely unthinkable in my mind. To put the lives of Americans and others in the balance because you might not like who takes your place would, I think, be grounds for some kind of criminal charge against Mr. Bush, and certainly would cement his place in history as the worst president of all time.

This could either be an "October Surprise" to try and change the outcome of the election, or a "January Surprise", that could be put on the table of President Obama the minute he gets into office.

If it would happen either way, it is unconsionable. I really can't think of any other words to even define the mere thought of one of our President's doing such a thing. It's a devistating thing to contemplate for this nation.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Blackbird

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:27 am

Absolutely insane. It just never ends with Bush...

Considering it would be considered an obvious political move if he just attacked Iran -- I just hope he doesn't stage a terrorist attack which would make Bush's attack of Iran seem completely just. (I remember that there was a law or executive-directive that in the event of catastrophe that the President can stay in power indefinetly...)

The only other option for declaring that we'd invade Iran if Obama got in would be to terrorize American citizens into voting for McCain: Essentially it's like saying "Vote for my guy, or I'll bomb Iran and drag all of you into a war"

This has got to be impeachable...

Andrea Kent

baroque

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:29 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 9):
See what happens when your college only mandates one civics class? But no seriously I knew that there was a congressional amendment about it, just totally flaked on what it said

Would that all of us were as willing to confess error Cadet57. The great irony is after the performances of a number of Presidents you should be at least half correct and it should not be just the President. Just as our PM should not have been allowed to get away with dodging our Parliament in the scandalous way he did.

I do have one other puzzle. Why have Americans suddenly become greatly attracted to parking their cars in radioactive areas?

Is it a curious byproduct of the SUV craze? Does it result from eating fast food, or is it just a result of watching Fox News? If the last, is there any truth that the Dirty Digger is now named Dirty due to an affinity for radioactivity rather than smut?

seb146

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:30 am

if a GOP president would start a war based on such criteria.

Already happened. Iraq. In 2000, he said he would invade Iraq because war presidents are seen as strong leaders or something. I think the sign of a strong leader is how to pick fights.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Cadet57

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:32 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 16):
I do have one other puzzle. Why have Americans suddenly become greatly attracted to parking their cars in radioactive areas?

Is it a curious byproduct of the SUV craze? Does it result from eating fast food, or is it just a result of watching Fox News? If the last, is there any truth that the Dirty Digger is now named Dirty due to an affinity for radioactivity rather than smut?

Huh?

Mike89406

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:37 am

I just dont see it happenning realistically.

767Lover

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:47 am

You asked for thoughts.

My thought is that this speculation is nonsense. If Bush really wanted to attack Iran, I doubt the election would figure into his plans in any meaningful way. Besides, not enough could be achieved anyway between November 5 and January 20 to allow him any sort of "credit" or "redemption" if it went well, so from his perspective he would have little to gain by waiting.

I see nothing in this article that suggests Bush is seriously considering an attack based on election results. It is purely speculation and "what if" by other parties, one of whom (Daniel Pipes) has already been called out before for distorting what people say.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:50 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 20):

You well may be right, but the one person in this thing-Krystol-is a known close confidant to Cheney. He's one of those neocons who convinced Bush, after 9/11, to go after Iraq, and use a "first strike" mentality against terroism. He's a known player with this administration. That's why I find it more than a bit worrisome-because it comes from someone who has access to this adminsitration, and has used his influence to help launch a war in '03.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mike89406

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:55 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 20):
You asked for thoughts.

My thought is that this speculation is nonsense. If Bush really wanted to attack Iran, I doubt the election would figure into his plans in any meaningful way.

If Bush had wanted to attack Iran I think he would have already done so just my 2 cents...

Mike

RJdxer

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:23 am

Your thoughts.

You'll post anything to keep this myth alive. The President has already said he prefers a diplomatic solution. The United States is going to enter direct talks as reported several days ago. I can't wait to see how you spin it to be the Presidents fault if Iran decides to sink a couple of tankers in the Straights.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

LTU932

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:51 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 22):
If Bush had wanted to attack Iran I think he would have already done so just my 2 cents...

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

While in theory, Bush could attack Iran whenever he wants under the War Powers Act, I don't see why he would even consider attacking Iran just because of a victory by Obama. Like RJ said, this is a myth. Not even he is dumb enough to justify an attack solely on an election result. It ain't gonna happen, at least not for this particular reason.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

baroque

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:24 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 15):
The only other option for declaring that we'd invade Iran if Obama got in would be to terrorize American citizens into voting for McCain: Essentially it's like saying "Vote for my guy, or I'll bomb Iran and drag all of you into a war"

This has got to be impeachable...

I feel your pain Andrea!

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 18):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 16):

Huh?

Well it seems the only conclusion. Some in the US think nuclear attacks on Iran would be a good idea. Nuclear explosions make the ground quite strongly radioactive.

Yet many posters refer to the nucear bombed areas as parking lots.

Therefore I can only assume a strange wish by these persons to park their cars in radioactive areas?

The Iranians would not have any cars to park, so that cannot be it. Must be their own cars.

No?

skyservice_330

Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:15 am

Your thoughts.

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 2):
Besides, if that really were a plan, do you think the White House, through Cheney and then this mouth-piece would actully announce such a plan on national television?

checkmark  Nothing more than speculation from a commentator.

PSA727

Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:56 am

I really wouldn't call Bill Krystol the "in guy"
on such matters. Just because he's close
to the VP doesn't mean the administration
is serving him coffee in the briefing room at
the White House.

And because of that stupid remark, I doubt
that anyone there will consider giving him a
"heads up" in the near future.

Attacking Iran has some serious consequences
that even this administration would not consider
if other nations were not on board with the
idea. And of this moment, the only one eager
to do so is Israel.

In fact, I think the administration is trying to
convince Israel that attacking Iran is not a
good idea at the moment for anyone.

Believe what you want, the facts just don't line up
with that assertion.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:17 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 23):
You'll post anything to keep this myth alive.

No, I won't post "anythng". I posted something from FOX News-you know, the Republican News Network? I posted something quoted from a confidant of the Vice President. I posted something that you could hear and read. If I wanted to post "anything", I could have just said "I think Bush is going to attack Iran to screw up Obama." But I didn't. I posted an actual STORY with a LINK.  Yeah sure
Work Right, Fly Hard

RJdxer

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 28):
I posted something from FOX News-you know, the Republican News Network?

No you didn't. You posted something from "Think Progress" a web site that proudly boasts that they were named "best liberal blog of the year" in 2006. The quotes, taken completely out of context, are provided by them. If anyone actually bothers to click on the video link they get the actual context. It's a talking head show, doesn't matter which network, where the talking head spends the first 30 seconds explaining what he really thinks is going to happen, President Bush will leave office with several dipolmatic efforts underway, sanctions, and in concert with the UN. Then makes reference to how the President might worry more if Sen. Obama wins the election, but never ever says that he (President Bush) might be more tempted to attack if Sen. Obama wins. That is just pure conjecture on the part of "Think Progress".

Nice try.

As I said, if Iran sinks a couple of tankers in the Straights I'll be interested to see how you spin it as the President Bushes fault. Even if it happens 2-3 years from now.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Mir

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Furthermore, last time I checked, the president needed congressional approval to go to war.

In theory, while the President can send troops to war without Congressional approval, Congress can choose not to fund those troops. In practice, such a move would be political suicide for the Senators and Representatives who chose not to "support the troops". So the sum total is that the President can commit troops to war at a time and place of his/her choosing and not have to worry about Congress saying no.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

SBBRTech

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:38 pm

"FOX: Bush May Attack Iran If Obama Wins Election"

I don't get it, if Obama is already the winner what would be the use of such an action?
He wouldn't go to war just to screw the next guy´s presidency, would he?  scratchchin 
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:46 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 29):
No you didn't. You posted something from "Think Progress" a web site that proudly boasts that they were named "best liberal blog of the year" in 2006

And the source was FOX News. Same thing. Just because a liberal blog picked it up, doesn't mean it didn't come from FOX news. It did. End of that discussion.

As I said, if Iran sinks a couple of tankers in the Straights I'll be interested to see how you spin it as the President Bushes fault. Even if it happens 2-3 years from now.

If Iran sinks tankers, it's Iran's fault. Be it now, or 2-3 years from now. Can I be any more clear than that? However, if Bush launches an attack on Iran, without Iran doing anything, then that is the president's fault. Although, even then, you'll find a way to apologize for him.
Work Right, Fly Hard

RJdxer

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 30):
In practice, such a move would be political suicide for the Senators and Representatives who chose not to "support the troops". So the sum total is that the President can commit troops to war at a time and place of his/her choosing and not have to worry about Congress saying no.

That's not true. The war powers act states that the President must get Congressional approval if the troops are going to be in a fight for more than 60 days. In practice, with the exception of Grenada and Panama, every President that has intended to send troops in harms way has asked for permission to send ground troops into battle from Congress before the action occurred. The reason it wasn't asked on those two occasions were to maintain surprise and because the troops were not expected to be there longer than 60 days.

PC12Fan

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 pm

but the fact that Bill Krystol, who is a close confidant of VPOTUS Dick Cheney, would say this on a news program

Wonder if Krystol is also a member of Haliburton.  scratchchin 
 stirthepot 
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

RJdxer

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 32):
And the source was FOX News. Same thing. Just because a liberal blog picked it up, doesn't mean it didn't come from FOX news. It did. End of that discussion.

redflag  The source was "Think Progress". Look at the top of the web page. They "Think Progress" are reporting on a Fox News program. If you listen to the clip (Fox News) and then read how they (Think Progress) have presented the quotes it is obvious they are taken out of context and their meaning misconstrued. Example, where in the tape does Kristol actually say "On Fox News Sunday this morning, Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol said that President Bush is more likely to attack Iran if he believes Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) is going to be elected." as Think Progress reports? Nowhere. Nice try though. At least you are showing some signs of being able to link news articles instead of just throwing supposed facts out there with no back up. Now if you can link to something besides your fantasies and in the process correctly identify the source.

N328KF

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:27 pm

I think we've mentioned this in other Iran threads, but the fact that Bill Krystol, who is a close confidant of VPOTUS Dick Cheney, would say this on a news program, gives such talk some credence.

I don't think this headline serves anyone well. The poster is referring to the opinion of an analyst, but the headline reads as if Fox was reporting it as news, which they are not.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

seb146

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Even if it happens 2-3 years from now

Clinton? How many political commentators and even people on this board are still blaming Clinton for the woes of this country even though he has been out of office for how long? Clinton will still be blamed if, in two or three years, something happens. That seems to be the latest Repubican mantra: When in doubt: wave the flag and blame Clinton.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 35):
source was "Think Progress".

That may be the source, but the news itself comes from FOX. Now, you can damn the source all you want, but the fact it WAS discussed on FOX means the ultimate source IS FOX. And you can say otherwise till your red in the face.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 36):
I don't think this headline serves anyone well. The poster is referring to the opinion of an analyst, but the headline reads as if Fox was reporting it as news, which they are not.

Didn't even mention it as news. But from a FOX program, a person says Mr. Bush might do this. I can't help it if you don't like the way it's laid out.
Work Right, Fly Hard

RJdxer

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 37):
Clinton?

Please note a liberal once again was the first person to bring up fmr. President Clinton.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 38):
That may be the source, but the news itself comes from FOX. Now, you can damn the source all you want, but the fact it WAS discussed on FOX means the ultimate source IS FOX. And you can say otherwise till your red in the face.

Now that makes sense. Think Progress may be the source, but because they were reporting, incorrectly I might add, on a Fox news program somehow Fox becomes the source. Do your hands ever get tired of all the twisting?

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 38):
Didn't even mention it as news. But from a FOX program, a person says Mr. Bush might do this. I can't help it if you don't like the way it's laid out.

He does? When? At what point in the tape does Kristol say that President Bush might attack Iran simply because Sen. Obama is elected? I wonder if you have even listened to the tape or if you are rather just accepting Think Progress as truth?

MaidensGator

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:05 pm

So, under this law, which was one of the worst laws ever passed by a Congress, the president can go to war without Congressional approval.

We agree on something Falcon!  Silly The War Powers Act is one of the worst laws ever passed, but it really doesn't matter since it's probably unconstitutional... No President since its passage has conceded its constitutionality, although they have thus far abided by it.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 24):
While in theory, Bush could attack Iran whenever he wants under the War Powers Act

Or under the Constitution....

Quoting Mir (Reply 30):

In theory, while the President can send troops to war without Congressional approval, Congress can choose not to fund those troops. In practice, such a move would be political suicide for the Senators and Representatives who chose not to "support the troops". So the sum total is that the President can commit troops to war at a time and place of his/her choosing and not have to worry about Congress saying no.

Good analysis....  checkmark 
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

seb146

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 39):
Please note a liberal once again was the first person to bring up fmr. President Clinton.

Oh, wow! I am a liberal? Here, I thought I was centrist simply against Bush policies. Thanks! Big grin

But, you have to admit, that happens more often than not. When backed into a corner, some Bush cheerleaders start attacking Clinton.

because they were reporting, incorrectly I might add, on a Fox news program somehow Fox becomes the source.

My sound card does not work, but how about this from the website:

"In April, he (Kristoll) told Bill Bennett that it wasn’t “out of the question” that Bush would consider such a strike because “people are overdoing how much of a lame duck the president is.”

And also:

“if the president thought John McCain was going to be the next president, he would think it more appropriate to let the next president make that decision than do it on his way out,” Kristol said

Or this exchange:

WALLACE: So, you’re suggesting that he might in fact, if Obama’s going to win the election, either before or after the election, launch a military strike?

KRISTOL: I don’t know. I mean, I think he would worry about it.

RJdxer

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:17 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 41):
When backed into a corner, some Bush cheerleaders start attacking Clinton.

My impression has been that liberals want to beat the conservatives to the punch every time so they couch their post in..."Well I'm just waiting for some neocon to bring up Clinton" or similar.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 41):
My sound card does not work, but how about this from the website:

Too bad. The quotes that website uses based on the Fox program are taken completely out of context and are preceded and suffixed by highly inaccurate opinions on what was said. I can only assume they are pulling the quotes from the earlier program out of context as well. If you listen to the tape, nowhere as the OP suggests does Kristol say the the President is more likely to attack Iran simply because Sen. Obama is elected. In fact the first part of the response details exactly how he thinks the President will turn over the problem to the next administration, no matter whose, and military action is not even mentioned.

767Lover

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:18 pm

He does? When? At what point in the tape does Kristol say that President Bush might attack Iran simply because Sen. Obama is elected? I wonder if you have even listened to the tape or if you are rather just accepting Think Progress as truth?

Actually, RJdxer you are right...I just took a minute to listen to the video embedded in this story, twice, and I think Think Progress is making more out of this than there is.

czbbflier

Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:06 am

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 2):
To even talk about charges over something like this is waaaaaaaaaaay premature.

Tell you what, Falcon84.... let's cross that bridge when we get to it.  

In light of how mean-spirited this thread has become, may I humbly suggest to all, after 41 further replies to the OP, that this might still be the best tactic to take?

QANTAS077

Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:59 am

forget the comedian...I'm more interested in this video.

fascinating, compelling and heavily edited to misrepresent.

Blackbird

Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:06 am

It is annoying that the news operates which such extreme spin these days. I wouldn't be surprised if there always was some -- but it would seem that in the past, the news was more honest and more about the facts, than manipulating them to suit an agenda.

Andrea Kent

Cadet57

Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 45):
fascinating, compelling and heavily edited to misrepresent.

Uh huh, yawn ::changes channel::

QANTAS077

Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:36 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 47):
Uh huh, yawn ::changes channel::

why? you like being lied to by your media? mediocrity in journalism is why we are where we are today, if that doesn't trouble you then I'd say your either gullible or easy to please.

RIHNOSAUR

Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:40 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 48):
why? you like being lied to by your media? mediocrity in journalism is why we are where we are today, if that doesn't trouble you then I'd say your either gullible or easy to please.

Qantas077 , I hate to say it ...but our fellow Cadet57 is the prime example of why certain people have the twisted, and frankly narrow view of reality...(not that I am necessarily more enlightened)...and why In this day in age I am becoming more and more convinced that ignorance, apathy, isolation and becoming a product of mass appeasement are the fundamental cause for many of our incompetent leaders getting into office....

By the way, very interesting video clip.....its always interesting to see "less edited" coverage.
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...