Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lincoln
Topic Author

About A Girl / I Suck At Reading Between The Lines

Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:24 am

So... There's a local theater group I support and I was at the cast party for their latest show last night.

One of the actresses (or is "female actors" the PC term now) in the show is attractive, really nice, has a fantastic voice (and then she sung a few bars, and....oh my god...it was sublime).

Honestly I couldn't tell if she was interested in me or if she was just being incredibly nice (or perhaps a little drunk)... I'd be interested in getting to know her if the feeling was mutual. As far as I could tell she was (a) single and (b) straight (or at least into men)

On the way out I commented to a friend that she was cute and the response was that she was (I may be pharapharsing slghtly) "an actress type, a little f---ed up" and we got interrupted before I could ask for clarification.

I suck at reading between the lines (especially as far as the whole dating ritual goes) so I'm curious about other's a.netters take on things...

[Edit for clarity: The friend who made the comment is also involved in the show]

Lincoln

[Edited 2008-07-19 18:32:04]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Analog

RE: About A Girl / I Suck At Reading Between The L

Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:58 am

Will you have an opportunity to meet this person again? If so, just talk to her and ask her out. If there are no obvious conflicts (like working together) why not go for it? Find out for yourself. Either that, or ask the friend what he/she actually meant.

I have no significant experience pre-Mrs. Analog, so I don't know much about this stuff, but what have you got to lose?

Fly2HMO

RE: About A Girl / I Suck At Reading Between The Lines

Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:39 am

Quoting Lincoln (Thread starter):
"an actress type, a little f---ed up"

I wouldn't be surprised... though by no means am I suggesting she is...

Quoting Analog (Reply 1):
ask the friend what he/she actually meant.

checkmark 

Just start talking to her and what not, get a feel of what she's like, ask her out if things go that way. The tricky thing with really friendly girls like her, is that sometimes its hard to tell whether she's just being friendly or she's actually hitting on you. Observe how she behaves amongst other guys, that will give a clue.

Flighty

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:37 am

Actresses... the communication problems with them should be obvious!  Smile

QXatFAT

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:45 am

"Reading between the lines" normally means flipping you off  Wink

On the other side, us guys take things a little to seriously when a gal says hello to us. Expect nothing to happen and if it does, its a plus.
Don't Tread On Me!

kmh1956

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:01 am

Don't take someone else's word for it that she may be a little f*cked up; find out for yourself. The only way you're going to do that is by talking to her and getting to know her.....go for coffee or lunch to start with and take it from there.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

texan

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:20 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 6):
Don't take someone else's word for it that she may be a little f*cked up; find out for yourself. The only way you're going to do that is by talking to her and getting to know her.....go for coffee or lunch to start with and take it from there.

checkmark 

First of all, take Kmh1956's advice. She knows what she's talking about and will give you a point of view very few people on here can (a woman's perspective).

Secondly, take my advice. I am typically very shy about asking out women to whom I am attracted. So I was out with my (now) girlfriend and just said, "Hey, I really like you, I am extremely interested in you, and look at how we are together, we just belong together." Know what her response was? "Why'd it take you so long to say that? I've been waiting for you to say that for weeks!"

The lesson to be learned: if you don't try, you will never find out. Or, as Wayne Gretzgy said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Go for it and just see what happens!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

stlgph

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:32 am

first step -- go to another cast party.

or go see the show again, no matter how painful.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

steeler83

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 5):
Expect nothing to happen and if it does, its a plus.

I didn't do anything with my lady. I didn't even ask her out. Back in September 2003, it just happened. We've been a couple since then, and I still want to propose to her. I'm having some trouble "manning up" and asking her parents for their blessing tho...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

redngold

Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:01 am

On the way out I commented to a friend that she was cute and the response was that she was (I may be pharapharsing slghtly) "an actress type, a little f---ed up" and we got interrupted before I could ask for clarification.

Um, no offense, but perhaps your friend is the one who's a little f---ed up in that he or she is holding on to a stereotypical view that all artists in any form are whacked out. Unless that friend personally knows the actor (female) that you're talking about, there's no reason to make such a comment.
Go find out for yourself - on both accounts.
Up, up and away!

lincoln
Topic Author

Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:20 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 10):
Um, no offense, but perhaps your friend is the one who's a little f---ed up in that he or she is holding on to a stereotypical view that all artists in any form are whacked out.

The friend is an artist herself... directly involved in the production [I'd rather not say how in the off-off-off chance that someone happens to stumble upon this thread] of the show and involved in the Cleveland professional theater community, so I doubt that's the issue. (And she hasn't given me the same warning about any of the actresses I've asked about... have gotten a few "in a relationship", "not interested in you", and even "a fantastic person, but she's s lesbian in a committed relationship"s but never the "a little f---ed up"

Thanks for the advice in the responses thus far, once I get some garbage off my plate I'll persue additional information
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

QXatFAT

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:43 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 8):

Same here with my wonderful girlfriend. She knew I liked her but one day she just came to me and said that she really wanted to be with me after seeing how patient I was she knew I was serious about her and not pushing the issue wither. Apparently shes had problems with that in the past.

I wish you the best though with asking her parents. I am in the same situation of asking the parents for permission but I dont know if we are in the "same" situation. Her parents are divorced and she doesnt really see her dad that much. So I know I will ask her mom for permission with her and her mom so close and her older brother as well but wondering if I should ask her dad just out of respect. I dont know. I dont plan on proposing until November anyways.
Don't Tread On Me!

WunalaYann

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:22 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 5):
go for coffee or lunch to start with and take it from there.

I would say this is a pretty bold first step, but I may be a bit shy myself so...

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 8):
I still want to propose to her. I'm having some trouble "manning up" and asking her parents for their blessing tho...

Mate, I take it that obviously you have spoken to her first about it, right?  Smile And that she said yes... In which case, congratulations!!  bigthumbsup 

Otherwise, you may want to reconsider your priorities (parents come second, in the best case scenario...).  Smile

Quoting Texan (Reply 6):
Hey, I really like you, I am extremely interested in you, and look at how we are together, we just belong together.

If you REALLY said that, well, I tip my hat off to you. Respect. I reckon your attitude was both gentlemanly, elegant and brave.  bigthumbsup 

iairallie

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:11 am

Listen to your friend but find out for yourself. Get to know her a bit build some common ground and ask her out to a non-threatening environment like lunch where you can find out if there is some chemistry.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

kmh1956

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Quoting Texan (Reply 6):
She knows what she's talking about and will give you a point of view very few people on here can (a woman's perspective).

Thank you, kind sir!

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 12):
I would say this is a pretty bold first step,

Not at all...coffee or a casual lunch are perfect non-date dates....but talk to her first and get to know her a bit....then ask her to go to coffee or lunch. (Not after your first conversation...give it a few days and a few conversations)
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield