Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Serbia Captures Fugitive Karadzic

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:13 pm

Serbia captures fugitive Karadzic

Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic, one of the world's most wanted men, has been arrested in Serbia after more than a decade.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7518543.stm

N1120A

RE: Serbia Captures Fugitive Karadzic

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:16 pm

In Serbia? I am guessing he was hiding in plain sight, with protection from "nationalists"
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:19 pm

one of my closest friends lost family members in this war, right now she's holidaying in Serbia for the first time since they fled in early 90's, fantastic news that they got him, disturbing that it appears he never left the country and was being protected.

now they need that other pig Mladic.

keesje

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:59 pm

W'll prepare a nice room somewhere in the Hague and have another oe anyday for his collegue Mladic.. There are some open bills.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

LTU932

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:01 pm

At last he's caught. I hope they'll also find the other fugitives and put them in prison for the crimes they commited.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

TheSonntag

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:25 am

I wonder what is more surprising: That he was caught, or the fact that he could live untouched for more than 12 years, sometimes even getting hints by a French officer when SFOR tried to arrest him.

In any case, now lets find Mladic.

MD11Engineer

Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 am

Actually, I don't care where they try him, in Serbia or Den Hague, as long as it is a proper trial and he will have to serve his term. Remember, if the local government can try him, they'll have first jurisdiction. I don't think that a Serb prison cell looks nicer than a Dutch one (actually rather the other way around).
But it looks as if, after the last election, there really was a change in Serbia and the new government is willing to act where the previous ones have failed.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

JoKeR

Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:43 am

This persona is an embarrassment for the Serbian people, and together with Mladic "deserves" a "day" in the Hague. Won't be too long before Mladic gets his ticket to Holland.

They held/hold their people "hostages" and stalled the process of inter-national healing and progress.

Time to turn the painful pages of the dark Yugoslav history and move on, but justice must be done on ALL sides.

Klaus

Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:16 am

A good day for Serbia and a good day for the victims, at long last.

Now Mladic is next. I hope protection will be withdrawn from him as well.

Beaucaire

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:15 am

I must admit that some French military intelligence staff has played a not so clear role in helping those two thugs to hide for such a long time.
But I'm sure Mr. Kouchner knows more about that than he ever admitted -finally he was the UN-appointed "Ruler" of former Bosnia..
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

OHLHD

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:34 am

Finally they got him!

These were his last days in freedom!

A 100000 people died during the war when he was in charge!

ALexeu

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:58 am

It's a positive news for Serbia's future. I just hope that EU doesn't blackmail us again, after we are done with war crimes issue.

btw, they captured him in Belgrade transit bus in New Belgrade, that's what surprised me a lot...

rootsair

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:07 am

Great news,

I always wondered if he was going to get caught one day!

I just hope he doesn't have any health problems that will prevent him from being judged. Too many leaders have gone unpunished...Pinochet, Imin Dada, Pol Pot, etc...

Regards

BM  airplane  wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

ALexeu

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:41 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 12):
Too many leaders have gone unpunished...Pinochet, Imin Dada, Pol Pot, etc...

and too many from Balkans too: Haradinaj, Hashim Tachi, Tudjman, Mladic etc.

LifelinerOne

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:42 am

Unconfirmed sources are reporting that Karadzic was arrested while getting on the bus in Belgrade. It's rumoured that he was living in Belgrade for most of the time of those 12 years.

After the election of the new pro-European government swift action was taken and Karadzic was located by a tip from a foreign intelligence service. Karadzic was under surveillance for several weeks now to confirm his identity and to watch if he was in contact with his companion Mladic.

I must say, a good day for the victims and those who are left behind of that terrible and very savage civil war.

Bring him to The Hague for his trail and I hope he will live long enough to reside in a jail for years to come.

Cheers!  wave 
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

JoKeR

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:29 am

From the press conference:

- Arrested in Belgrade

- Resided in New Belgrade

- Led a normal public life under a false name - Dabic something

- Even practiced alternative medicine and earned a living that way

- Has changed his physical appearance and fooled his landlords, employers and patients

- Was not arrested as a result of a foreign tip-off, but was rather monitored and discovered by Serbian Special Forces

- Arrest of remaining two fugitives can be expected according to the officials

- Serbia adamant to fulfill all its international obligations and let justice take its course

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:41 am

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
Radovan Karadzic, one of the world's most wanted men, has been arrested in Serbia after more than a decade.

-
as soon as he gets "delivered" to The Hague, the way to Europe for Serbia is paved

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
In Serbia? I am guessing he was hiding in plain sight, with protection from "nationalists"

-
That he was inside Serbia/SerbianBosnia was clear, but I thought he was hiding somewhere in the countryside. It has now become obvious that cities give far more chance to such people to hide for a considerable time.

I hope that the EU folks now will be content, and not insist on Mladic etc etc etc etc. But if Mladic also gets caught it would be great

JoKeR

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:50 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 16):
as soon as he gets "delivered" to The Hague, the way to Europe for Serbia is paved

At least three more days to go, as per the Serbian Law he is entitled to appeal, buying him some 36 hrs in total.

But, since he is not a Serbian national, rather a Bosnian passport holder, his extradition could be faster.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:05 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 17):

At least three more days to go, as per the Serbian Law he is entitled to appeal, buying him some 36 hrs in total.

A few days do not count, what counts is that he now IS to be delivered.

JoKeR

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:31 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 18):
A few days do not count, what counts is that he now IS to be delivered.

... and Chief War Crimes Prosecutor in Serbia has just given the extradition "go ahead", starting the 36 hour appeal deadline. He should be in the Hague by Friday according to Serbian media.

LifelinerOne

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:03 am

A picture of the man:

Clever disguise.

Cheers!  wave 

ALexeu

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 16):

I wouldn't be surprised if we encounter more bumbs on the road (such as must recognizing Kosovo).

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 20):
A picture of the man:

Where did you find that pic?!

Clever disguise

Indeed !

QANTAS077

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:32 am

A picture of the man:

jesus...would never have guessed its him unless I was told.

Beaucaire

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:32 am

Nobody really dares asking the right questions- why did the intelligence-services of more then 10 countries not allow to bust those refugees earlier ????
Nobody can sell me the story that France,the UK,USA or German services did not know anything about the whereabouts of the incriminatd persons.
Karadzic lived peacefully in Pale for three years and - nobody went after him !!!
The spokeswomen of the Hague tribunal spoke about "political pressures" to not really go after him,and confirmed my sucpicions,that many politicians turned a blind eye on those scum.
The blindest one of all was Kouchner !!!

Mortyman
Topic Author

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:41 am

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 10):
A 100000 people died during the war when he was in charge!

I think he is " only " charged for slaughtering 8000...

QANTAS077

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:55 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 23):
Nobody really dares asking the right questions- why did the intelligence-services of more then 10 countries not allow to bust those refugees earlier ????

protected by nationalists and a former government that said they'd never give him up, that's how he lasted so long, it was due to change in government that he's now facing his past in the Hague.

JoKeR

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Here's a recent picture of Mladic from a Serbian newspaper, giving a lecture on healthy living!

LifelinerOne

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 21):
Where did you find that pic?!

CNN.

Cheers!  wave 

OA260

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:16 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 26):
Here's a recent picture of Mladic from a Serbian newspaper, giving a lecture on healthy living!

He looks like an Orthodox priest!!!

QANTAS077

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:25 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 26):

that's Radovan, not Mladic.

na

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:16 pm

Thank god they finally got him. Excellent disguise. Hope he´ll never spend a day in freedom anymore. What apalled me today were "street voices" from Belgrade who said its a shame for Serbia that they arrest him, or that Serbia is going down even more now. How can arresting a mass murderer be a shame for a country? Seems that the people asked are also wearing blood-stained shirts.

JoKeR

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:45 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 31):
What apalled me today were "street voices" from Belgrade who said its a shame for Serbia that they arrest him, or that Serbia is going down even more now.

Recent liberation of Naser Oric and Ramush Haradinaj are fueling the bias attitude in Serbia towards the tribunal.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 21):
more bumbs on the road (such as must recognizing Kosovo).

-
possible, but it would be wrong. The "price" declared was Karadzic, and to add this and that later on would be treacherous behaviour and grossly unfair

Quoting NA (Reply 30):
he´ll never spend a day in freedom anymore.

-
to decide about this will be the job of the court, and is not subject to emotions

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 31):
Naser Oric and Ramush Haradinaj are fueling the bias attitude in Serbia

-
people with "minor" guilt also in the past were released, but in case of Mr Karadzic it indeed is a MAJOR guilt --- this however is no argument against the point that also Mr Karadzic has the right for a fair and just trial in court

TheSonntag

Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:48 pm

In fact there are some problems with the tribunal, which do justify some of the arguments his lawyers are bringing forward. Nevertheless, he needs to be brought before it and meet justice. It would be very unsatisfying if the big ones get away, while smaller war criminals are getting their deserved punishment.

I just hope that we will see a brighter future in the whole region. This foolish war has harmed all countries in the area, and its effects can be feeled for many years to come. But if they learn to live together in peace and the memories start to disappear, there is hope for a better future.

OA260

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:35 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 30):
What apalled me today were "street voices" from Belgrade who said its a shame for Serbia that they arrest him, or that Serbia is going down even more now. How can arresting a mass murderer be a shame for a country?

A very small minority did this and these people are normally at football matches fighting eachother so they are not even 1% of the Serbian population. Sky News reported live from Belgrade said the same thing. The British foreign minister has congratulated the Serbian government and the support in Serbia's EU membership.

A British journalist was also interviewed who reported from Bosnia at the time and added some balance to the news item. He said all should be remembered including the thousands of Serbs that were masacered also. Sometimes the media seems to forget that.

JoKeR

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 34):
A very small minority did this and these people are normally at football matches fighting eachother so they are not even 1% of the Serbian population. Sky News reported live from Belgrade said the same thing. The British foreign minister has congratulated the Serbian government and the support in Serbia's EU membership.

A British journalist was also interviewed who reported from Bosnia at the time and added some balance to the news item. He said all should be remembered including the thousands of Serbs that were masacered also. Sometimes the media seems to forget that.

The ex-Yugoslav story "gets bent" to suit the messenger.

The fact is - people, on all sides, of all religions died. Not animals, not enemies, but people! Irrespective of their ethnic background, we owe them justice. Speaking of which, NATO commanders should be asked a word or two as well.

TheSonntag

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:45 pm

The unfortunate fact is, things happened in that war which we had hoped were long forgotten, like cutting the head of people and playing football with it, raping women, shooting children.

People from all sides did that, people, who had lived together peacefully for decades suddenly killed each other without reasons.

It is our job that we all try to ensure that these things will not happen in Europe ever again. This can be done by looking ahead, instead of looking back. But this can only be done if the worst criminals are brought to justice.

swissy

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Finally one less bast.... on the run....

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 35):
The fact is - people, on all sides, of all religions died. Not animals, not enemies, but people! Irrespective of their ethnic background, we owe them justice. Speaking of which, NATO commanders should be asked a word or two as well.

Absolutely right, have visit your country many many times in the 80s have many friends from that region and I still can not understand the fact one day they were neighbors and the next they killed each other..... just because of some idiots like above....  scratchchin 

After all you are right lets get justice for these sensless death and try to make it a better place....

Cheerios,

dc863

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:05 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 35):
Speaking of which, NATO commanders should be asked a word or two as well.

Absolutely. Too bad Frankie Tudjman, Izetbegovic are dead, They should've been sent to the Hague.
There are some Albanians that need to be put in jail for their crimes against Serbs. A few got away scot free because the prosecutors did such a poor job. Fine get a new trial and send those fools where they belong.....................behind bars.

Too bad so many in the west bought all the anti Serb propaganda hook line and sinker instead of looking at crimes committed by all sides and seeing this conflict as a civil war.
At least Karadjic has been caught and will be sent to trial. Hopefully a few Bosnian, Albanian, Croat thugs will be next to be dragged into the Hague.

ALexeu

Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:15 am

Check out his website, while he was ''working''.
http://www.psy-help-energy.com/

Beaucaire

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:08 am

It has now been revealed that Serbian secret service helped for years to hide him- not very surprising,since other intelligence-services obviously closed their eyes on the matter for years. So no particular reason to point the finger to Serbians-the Europeans are as guilty as ever ,having obeyed obscure political orders not to become active.
There are Albanians,Bosnians and Croatians who should be in The Hague as well - to me the sole focus on Serbian atrocities is a lame-duck excuse.

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:15 am

A picture of the man:

Amazing.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

OA260

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:35 am

Quoting Swissy (Reply 37):
one day they were neighbors and the next they killed each other

Just like Northern Ireland in the 80's and early 90's. You talked to a normal human being and then the conversation went onto politics and they became like different people. These days luckily its the minority but extreme views do still exist especially along the peace line.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 40):
There are Albanians,Bosnians and Croatians who should be in The Hague as well - to me the sole focus on Serbian atrocities is a lame-duck excuse.

checkmark   checkmark 

baroque

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:46 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 11):
btw, they captured him in Belgrade transit bus in New Belgrade, that's what surprised me a lot...

Does that mean if the US is able to start a bus service in Kabul, they might have a chance to nab Osama?

Beaucaire

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:46 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 43):

Does that mean if the US is able to start a bus service in Kabul, they might have a chance to nab Osama?

Who is telling you the US have an interest in capturing Osama ????
Osama on the run is multi -billion windfall for hundreds of security companies..
A great means to impose laws that twenty years ago nobody dared dreaming of....
Sorry-that is slightly of topic-but couldn't resist...

Beaucaire

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:12 pm

.it is now expected that the capture of the the remaining Ratko Mladic would be handled rather quickly....
Absolute laughable and incriminating ALL intelligence agencies in Europe.A demonstration of political curruptness and international manipulation of security-related issues.

JoKeR

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:02 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 45):
.it is now expected that the capture of the the remaining Ratko Mladic would be handled rather quickly....

Wouldn't count our chicks just as yet... Mladic is a whole different story... while Hadzic is apparently in Russia. Time will tell really...

baroque

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 46):
Wouldn't count our chicks just as yet... Mladic is a whole different story... while Hadzic is apparently in Russia. Time will tell really...

Mladic is being spoken of as clinically mad - so that should make a change. One psychiatrist and one (possibly of a number though) madman. Hmmm.

MD11Engineer

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:56 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 11):

I'm quite sure that Bin Laden might be residing somewhere in a Pakistani city not too far away from the Tribal Areas, completely disguised.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ME AVN FAN

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:26 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 34):
some balance to the news item. He said all should be remembered including the thousands of Serbs that were masacered also. Sometimes the media seems to forget that.

-
that many others also committed war-crimes does NOT reduce his guilt and does NOT cancel out the fact that he was one of the worst
-

--

-
In case of Mr Karadzic, people spoke about him hiding in remote places, and now it became clear that he was in the largest city available to him. In case of Osama BinLaden this would not be Kabul or Karachi (language etc) but rather London or Paris (his beard stored in a suitcase).