Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stlgph
Topic Author

Senator Ted Allegedly Makes 7 Big No No's

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:05 pm

slider

RE: Senator Ted Allegedly Makes 7 Big No No's

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:22 pm

I wonder what his false statements were.

He should have just said he "misremembered" things. After all, age, senility, and corruption of decades in office take a toll.

Pope

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Good. Stevens is an idiot.

Anyone have link to the indictment?

AirCop

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Now the question is, will the Senator decide not to run for re-election his fall. How many of these guys that stay in Washington forever end up facing some sort of corruption charges?

Stretch 8

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:37 pm

This guy is known in Washington political circles as the "president of Alaska."

texan

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 2):

Ask and it shall be so: Indictment

Texan

planespotting

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Ironic that we're using the internet, which if I remember correctly is a "series of tubes," to discuss his impending downfall...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_of_tubes

slider

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:16 pm

Quoting Texan (Reply 5):
Ask and it shall be so: Indictment

Texan

Well, at least good old Uncle Ted was consistent in the lies by not disclosing the gains every year.

How nice that a poor public servant can have such nice house improvements and renovations, Land Rovers, special favors, etc.

And people still question why I am so cynical toward our elected officials? They’re almost all crooks, immersed in graft and an orgasm of self-indulgent ingratiation, to enrich themselves, solidify their grasp on power and wealth. Stevens is now going to fall on the sword.

I don’t give a crap if he’s 84 years old—put him in JAIL where he belongs. Pay the price. And then open investigations into every sitting member of Congress, reasonale cause be damned. Time to take the republic back.

I’ll make a prediction—he’s feign ignorance, claim his innocence and refuse to step down. They never have shame, which is what REALLY grinds my gears.

lincoln

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:31 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 3):
How many of these guys that stay in Washington forever end up facing some sort of corruption charges?

"You either die a hero [or loose a reellection campaign] or live long enough to see yourself become a villan"

slider

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:46 pm

LMAO!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecry...tement_declares_his_innocence.html

Naturally, Uncle Ted claims his innocence and says he would KNOWINGLY never violate the rules.

Uh-huh. Whatever.

L-188

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:29 am

Based on the charges that where put forward in the indictment, I think the government might have a weaker case then they let on.

I especially think that they might have a hard time calling trading a LR Discovery with a 68 Mustang+5k a bribe.

slider

Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:52 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 10):
Based on the charges that where put forward in the indictment, I think the government might have a weaker case then they let on.

I especially think that they might have a hard time calling trading a LR Discovery with a 68 Mustang+5k a bribe.

Actually, it looks pretty airtight to me.

He has an established clear pattern of behavior in not disclosing the gifts he received—totaling in the HUNDREDS of thousands!

It’s pretty clear. And if you think Senators aren’t fully dialed in to the expectations, the ethical standards, etc, you may be naïve. They all know. They all are on the take, just a wink and a nod, and we move on.

Stevens is guilty, there’s NO doubt in my mind. It’s not even close. The entire mess of them aren’t even close to being above reproach with their actions and they are an embarrassment to the people they ‘represent’, their nation and the institutions they claim to serve.

slider

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:12 pm

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...JmMDUxMjRkYTVlY2Q5Yzk5ZjJlYjkzNDQ=

Stevens should resign now….so says this columnist. Good points in here.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecry..._Senate_chamber_ducks_comment.html

And gotta love this! If this isn’t just a perfect illustration of the culture of corruption, I don’t know what is. “…voted twice on the Senate floor and received his share of arm tugs and back slaps from other members of the club.”

Dougloid

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:21 pm

What's interesting to me is how cheaply Ted was bought and paid for....kinda reminds me of when people would deliver bags of cash to Spiro Agnew in the white house...one guy remembered thinking "For a VP of the US he's selling himself awful cheap."

L-188

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:24 am

It is clear by some of your responses that none of you have any clue about Ted.

I would guess that a good 70% of this state has an "Uncle Ted" story. Especially the older folks who where here prior to us getting overrun by Lower-48 types who never had to live by their wits in their lives.

slider

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:54 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 14):
It is clear by some of your responses that none of you have any clue about Ted.

I would guess that a good 70% of this state has an "Uncle Ted" story. Especially the older folks who where here prior to us getting overrun by Lower-48 types who never had to live by their wits in their lives.

Doesn't matter now, does it?

Corruption is corruption. Cheating, lying and ethics violations are what they are.

ANCsupercub

Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:24 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 15):
Doesn't matter now, does it?

Corruption is corruption. Cheating, lying and ethics violations are what they are.

Quoting Slider (Reply 11):
Actually, it looks pretty airtight to me.

He has an established clear pattern of behavior in not disclosing the gifts he received—totaling in the HUNDREDS of thousands!

It’s pretty clear. And if you think Senators aren’t fully dialed in to the expectations, the ethical standards, etc, you may be naïve. They all know. They all are on the take, just a wink and a nod, and we move on.

Stevens is guilty, there’s NO doubt in my mind. It’s not even close. The entire mess of them aren’t even close to being above reproach with their actions and they are an embarrassment to the people they ‘represent’, their nation and the institutions they claim to serve.

Quoting Slider (Reply 9):
LMAO!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecry...tement_declares_his_innocence.html

Naturally, Uncle Ted claims his innocence and says he would KNOWINGLY never violate the rules.

Uh-huh. Whatever.

Quoting Slider (Reply 7):

Well, at least good old Uncle Ted was consistent in the lies by not disclosing the gains every year.

How nice that a poor public servant can have such nice house improvements and renovations, Land Rovers, special favors, etc.

And people still question why I am so cynical toward our elected officials? They’re almost all crooks, immersed in graft and an orgasm of self-indulgent ingratiation, to enrich themselves, solidify their grasp on power and wealth. Stevens is now going to fall on the sword.

I don’t give a crap if he’s 84 years old—put him in JAIL where he belongs. Pay the price. And then open investigations into every sitting member of Congress, reasonale cause be damned. Time to take the republic back.

I’ll make a prediction—he’s feign ignorance, claim his innocence and refuse to step down. They never have shame, which is what REALLY grinds my gears.

Seems to me that you have already convicted him. He was formally charged, give this man his day in court. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty, his trial will finish before the election. Let our justice system find him innocent/guilty. Who are you to draw these hasty conclusions? This man is a war hero and has served the state of Alaska the majority of his life. He has done great things for the State of Alaska. He at least deserves his day in court, as would any American. If he is found guilty i agree with you 100 percent. We do not need corruption in our government and should not stand for it. No one is above the law, but until the jury renders a vertict of guilty he is an innocent man.

Dougloid

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Quoting ANCsupercub (Reply 16):
No one is above the law, but until the jury renders a vertict of guilty he is an innocent man.

Just as a point of information, the presumption of innocence does not attach until the jury's seated and sworn. That means that people can think any blessed thing they want, including prosecutors.

All the much vaunted presumption of innocence means is that if the evidence at a trial is in equipoise, the defendant walks free. It doesn't mean that people shouldn't think ill of someone.