Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Most Powerfull Armed Forces.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:42 am

How would one rate the most powerfull armed forces in terms of strength to win battles,amongst the army/navy/air-force.
understandably it would vary as per situation,terrain,position & other factors.

But on an avarage.......I'd say the USA,russia,china,India & UK would stand out as armies.
navy.......USA,russia,India.

airforce....USA,Russia,China.......

Any views.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Mir

RE: Most Powerfull Armed Forces.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):

I'd add Israel. They may not be capable of much offense, but they get the job done like no other in terms of defense.

navy.......USA,russia,India

I'd add the UK to that.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

11Bravo

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:28 am

I would add the UK, France, and Japan ahead of those last two.

Once again there are several that should proceed Russia and China. The UK, France, Germany, Japan, and perhaps Israel.
WhaleJets Rule!

vc10

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:28 am

The following list is based on the number of troops that a country has rather than say the number of fighter aircraft, however there is sufficient facts here for people to work out what is the biggest navy , Airforce, etc. I know that this list is perhaps not up yo date, but at least it gives an idea of size

Remeber biggest does not mean best

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_size_of_armed_forces

littlevc10

Mortyman

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 am

It's ofcourse not a reality at the moment, but can anyone give an estimate as how many troops the EU would have had, if we were to include all the memberstates capabilities into on EU military machine / defence force ?

Would it be of any signifigance, compared to let's say what the USA or Russia can line up ?

Elite

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:32 am

I actually read an article on this a while ago, but apparently Israel could defeat the EU in a war, as the 2 main powers of the EU are only France and the UK. Not an expert on this subject so I don't know for sure.

FLVILLA

Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):
I actually read an article on this a while ago, but apparently Israel could defeat the EU in a war, as the 2 main powers of the EU are only France and the UK. Not an expert on this subject so I don't know for sure.

hmm I find that a bit improbable tbh. All three are nuclear powers afterall.
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

flynavy

Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:06 pm

Air Force: USA
Army: USA
Coast Guard: USA
Marine Corps: USA
Navy: USA

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/refleckt/24194.jpg

Next topic.  bigthumbsup 
Change is: one airline, six continents!

hairybus

Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:47 pm

In terms of Navy, China would probably be right up there. and am not that sure about India. They are pretty big in terms of personal, but in terms of aircraft carriers/planes they seriously lag behind the rest on the list.

flynavy

Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:49 pm

Quoting HAIRyBUS (Reply 8):
In terms of Navy, China would probably be right up there.

rotfl  How did you come to that conclusion?
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Beaucaire

Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:57 pm

Imagine all countries would follow the great example of Costa Rica- not army at all...
To my knowledge they never had to regret that decision !
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

na

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Definitely the UK definitely has to be put ahead of India, if not Russia. Especially when the UK receives the two carriers ordered which are not much smaller than the Nimitz - and more modern anyway. France should be added as well ahead of India´s navy who technical ability I wouldn´t trust much.
So:
navy.......USA, UK, Russia, France

Seeing that the US spends about 10 times (TEN TIMES!) more money on its armed forces than Russia, which is second, one would surely be right to admit that the US is no. 1 in all three different forces. If not per soldier, certainly weapon-wise the US is untouchable in this list.
Russia´s Forces suffer from poor funding (making a lot of hightech they nominally have not fit for service) and partly bad morale.
China has a huge army, but its equipment isn´t competitive.
Germany´s Forces, although its my country, I can´t judge. Equipment is quite good and level with the UK or France, in some areas better, others less, but the army strength of reunified Germany is just 60% of the size of the West German Forces alone before 1989. As soldiers I would gess the British are better nowadays. It´s more than two decades I served in the army. German generals complain too many recrutes are too fat and unfit today.

Mortyman

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:05 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):

My question was simply, what we would have if we throw in all the military personell, all the aircraft, ships, tanks, nukes etc, etc, etc into one soup...

Regardless of what country, language and who is a main power. If we see the EU as ONE country with ONE force.

Again, it sounds perhaps silly today. But I guess it can happen in the future.

Mortyman

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:12 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):
apparently Israel could defeat the EU in a war

I for one seriously doubt, that Israel has the power to do that. Israel is no doubt, not a light weight when it comes to military forces and firepower. But it sounds ridiculouse to me.

redflyer

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):
I actually read an article on this a while ago, but apparently Israel could defeat the EU in a war, as the 2 main powers of the EU are only France and the UK.

Israel's war-fighting capability is centered around short and decisive engagements. They might be able to fight effectively against a power such as the EU in the beginning, but they would have a very difficult time fighting a long drawn-out engagement (I'm talking about something that lasts beyond just a couple of months). When comparing military strength, one has to take into consideration more than just numbers and equipment. You have to take into consideration the ability to project and sustain your military might. That is why the U.S. is #1 militarily.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Pope

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:28 pm

There is no nation in the world that can project force over a distance the way the US can. That's just a fact. While other nations have very good capabilities to accomplish certain things, none can match the overall capabilities of the US.

As for the Russian airforce, when is the last time it's been in an armed engagement against an armed adversary (i.e. not shooting down KAL007)?

Personally I think that the Chinese acquisition of submarines doesn't get nearly enough attention.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Mortyman

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:53 pm

Country Military expenditures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...derations_by_military_expenditures

( List should be used with caution )

Mortyman

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:57 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
Personally I think that the Chinese acquisition of submarines doesn't get nearly enough attention.

Yes, I find it a bit bizarre that your current administration does'nt take bigger note of this...

SlamClick

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:00 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 7):

Okay, but let's factor in current and possible future commanders-in-chief.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Mortyman

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:24 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 7):
Air Force: USA
Army: USA
Coast Guard: USA
Marine Corps: USA
Navy: USA

Next topic.

Yes, but we Norwegians got that VIKING attitude  Smile

Pope

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:43 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 17):
Yes, I find it a bit bizarre that your current administration does'nt take bigger note of this...

Particularly the diesel-electric subs which are quieter than the nuclear ones.

The Chinese have already demonstrated that these boats can surprise a carrier battle group.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-military-chiefs-red-faced.html

Mortyman

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:54 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 20):
Particularly the diesel-electric subs which are quieter than the nuclear ones.

The Chinese have already demonstrated that these boats can surprise a carrier battle group.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html

I think our subs in Norway are also diesel / electric and during an excersice in the Med, a Norwegian submarine managed to get really close to an American aircraftcarrier and take pictures undetected. Apparently it came as a shock to our American friends...

So, yes I think they can pose a treat.

Baexecutive

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
There is no nation in the world that can project force over a distance the way the US can. That's just a fact

That might be the case but size doesn't necessary win wars as you well know from your past.

In the 80s Britain DEFEATED Argentina when they invaded the Falkland islands which are almost 7000 miles away from the UK without the help of any other nation.

In fact when asked to borrow AWACS from the US we were told to 'bog off' as you guys were afraid of rocking the boat with the Argentinians! Good thing we're a bit more loyal when it comes to friendship eh!

p.s. I think we're doing a pretty good job of 'projecting' force overseas as it is considering we've already been there, done that and wore the t-shirt regarding having the biggest armed forces and ruling over the largest empire the world has ever seen, encompassing a quarter of the earth's total land area. Also leaving probably our most important legacy to the world....the English language, all from a tiny island in the North of Europe.

Could go on about how great we are but that wouldn't be very British  Wink

Pope

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:13 pm

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 22):
That might be the case but size doesn't necessary win wars as you well know from your past.

In the 80s Britain DEFEATED Argentina when they invaded the Falkland islands which are almost 7000 miles away from the UK without the help of any other nation.

In fact when asked to borrow AWACS from the US we were told to 'bog off' as you guys were afraid of rocking the boat with the Argentinians! Good thing we're a bit more loyal when it comes to friendship eh!

Couple of questions - do you believe the same military power that the UK had in 1982 exists today? I don't.

Secondly (more of a statement than a question), did your forget about the anti-radar missiles the US gave the UK? It was a pretty big embarrassment when a plane carrying one had to make an emergency landing in Brazil (I think) after the US had said that it wasn't helping the Brits.

vc10

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:15 pm

I think you will find that the USA helped the UK quite a lot in the Falklands campaign, with inttelligence , air to air missiles , and aviation fuel. Most of it was done outside of the public glare as the USA had to maintain their friendship with countries in South America.

littlevc10

Mortyman

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:03 pm

Britain got waves of vital inteligence information regarding Argentinian fleet movements from Norway that was forwarded directly to the war command in Northwood outside London. At the time western powers like the USA and UK did'nt have other means of satelite survailance in the area .

What Norway did, was that we used on of our many listning stations and snapped up the information from Soviet spy satelites wich were the only ones operating in the area at that time.

According to a high ranking British official;

- The information that we got from the Norwegians were incredibly valuable.

Article in Norwegian:

http://www.nrk.no/kanal/nrk1/brennpunkt/1861285.html

In general there is alot of things happening behind the scenes in such conflicts , wich is not nesseserely known to the general public. The information in the article above, was revealed in 2002 by Norway's TV station NRK, wich is our eqvaliant to BBC.

DfwRevolution

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:11 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 10):
Imagine all countries would follow the great example of Costa Rica- not army at all... To my knowledge they never had to regret that decision !

Living in the shadow of the U.S. has its perks

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
There is no nation in the world that can project force over a distance the way the US can. That's just a fact. While other nations have very good capabilities to accomplish certain things, none can match the overall capabilities of the US.

A single Nimitz-class aircraft carrier has the firepower of a respectable industrialized nation. Give me the U.S. any day.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Flighty

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:31 pm

In terms of Navy, China would probably be right up there.

China is right up there with Japan and Taiwan, as one of the top 5 regional powers in Asia-Pacific. Nothing more than that. Certainly no match for the UK.

Oh, and let me be clear: the top navy in the Asia-Pacific is the United States Navy.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 26):
A single Nimitz-class aircraft carrier has the firepower of a respectable industrialized nation. Give me the U.S. any day.

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
There is no nation in the world that can project force over a distance the way the US can. That's just a fact.

Well clearly it's a general notion that is true. But others were correct when they handed it to you that the 1982 Falklands War is a big contradiction to what you said.

Also, France has the nuclear carrier Charles De Gaulle. This is something they did not have before. If someone (say Sri Lanka) invaded a French territory, France would certainly have the capacility to do a long-range strike at 7000, 9000 miles or what have you, without refuelling the carrier. I am sure they have other ships as well, plus a variety of far-flung territories for resupply.

Of course, there is nothing like the USA's Nimitz carrier groups out there. Nor our air cargo capabilities, which are just gigantic !

In summary, I believe the top 4 are almost certainly

1. USA
2, 3, 4: UK, Russia, France (in any order)

Below that, I don't know. Clearly China will match the above 3 someday. But there is no indication China will ever approach the USA's level of equipment and deployment, which is staggeringly huge.

[Edited 2008-07-31 13:33:32]

Pope

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 26):

But there lays the problem with the argument. A Nimitz class carrier can't do anything against terrorist hiding within a civilian population. Without a doubt the US has sledge hammers (a lot of them). But the world is increasingly becoming a place where the force needs to be applied with a ball peen hammer.

Remember, we're a country that could fly B2 bombers 40 hours round trip from North Dakota to the Balklands and hit a meter wide by meter wide target but couldn't deliver water to people on roof tops in Louisiana when it mattered.

Beaucaire

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:41 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 27):

Also, France has the nuclear carrier Charles De Gaulle. This is something they did not have before. If someone (say Sri Lanka) invaded a French territory, France would certainly have the capacility to do a long-range strike at 7000, 9000 miles or what have you, without refuelling the carrier.

Which is currently undergoing 18 months maintenance in Toulon- and since it is the only aircraft-carrier of France,they currently have to rely on naval heli-op's and traditional ways to bring their fighting forces onto shore..
Initial plans to build a second carrier have been frozen for budget reasons.

Flighty

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:49 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 29):
Which is currently undergoing 18 months maintenance in Toulon- and since it is the only aircraft-carrier of France,they currently have to rely on naval heli-op's and traditional ways to bring their fighting forces onto shore..

I see you can read wikipedia as well as I...  bigthumbsup   highfive 

flexo

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:51 pm

Hey, don't be so unthankful, at least your former colony saved you guys in WWII.

Baexecutive

Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 31):

Ooooo don't mention the war  Wink

redflyer

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:46 pm

Once negotiations for a peace settlement failed, the U.S. threw its unequivocal support, along with tons of intel and logistics support, behind the UK.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Confuscius

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:56 pm

The Vatican's Swiss Guards.

Ain't I a stinker?

Mike89406

Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:43 am

One of the reasons I can assertain that the US is the top is not only money, size ,forward presence and power projection but the simple fact the US Military all branches train extensively even during peactime.

Falcon84

Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:07 am

U.S. and everyone else, to be honest.

China and Russia have numbers, but they don't have the technology the U.S. has

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
There is no nation in the world that can project force over a distance the way the US can.

Exactly. And it's been that way since the end of WWII.

Russia and China may be near 2nd overall, but both have technological disadvantages, and Russia is still finacially a mess, which inhibits their ability to modernize and upkeep.

I do worry about China, as they could field a mammoth army if they ever wanted to. And if Germany ever gets back in "the game", they will be another force to be reckon with-and that will eternally keep Russia on guard.
Work Right, Fly Hard

hairybus

Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:43 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 9):
How did you come to that conclusion?

your response has me speechless. So China has a shitty navy as opposed to the rest of the world????

Flighty

Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:25 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 36):
I do worry about China, as they could field a mammoth army if they ever wanted to

It's still a push button war. We push a button, they lose. China is in the top 10 militaries, but barely. Someday they will be strong but not today.

Quoting HAIRyBUS (Reply 37):
So China has a shitty navy as opposed to the rest of the world????

Yes. The UK and France have had top notch navies for 250+ years. China has had essentially nothing for the last 100 years. This will change, but slowly. It takes experience and a lot of money to get a good navy running. Plus technology. No way the Chinese are up to French, British or Russian technology levels. Soon but not yet. Right now, they would have trouble taking on their Taiwan brothers. Taiwan has a number of ex-US Navy vessels including AEGIS cruisers.

Beaucaire

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:25 am

And if Germany ever gets back in "the game", they will be another force to be reckon with-and that will eternally keep Russia on guard.

For the obvious historical reasons, Germany's "Bundeswehr" will always remain a relatively moderate sized ,defence oriented army.
The German Navy does not even have any aircraft carrier or assault ships.
The major investments within the German Army are geared to enhance mobility ( they ordered 60 x A400M transporters ) and integration capabilities for multi-national operations.
The aspect of planning independant invassions into other countries, is not part of the army's scenario.
"Aggressive fighting" operations are difficult to get approved by the parliament,which is the reason why Germany gets critizised by America and the UK (Afghanistan theater split ).
That said,Germany operates in a multitude of world-wide areas and has had casualties tied to those operations.

EA CO AS

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:43 am

I do worry about China, as they could field a mammoth army if they ever wanted to.

A mammoth army is only good for taking and holding territory, though - and frankly, any overwhelming invading Chinese force will only be effective against neighboring countries, and will likely be met by tactical nuclear weapons.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

moo

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:05 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 23):
Couple of questions - do you believe the same military power that the UK had in 1982 exists today? I don't.

In some ways, no, in other ways, we have much better military power.

The Black Buck raids were scraped together, they really were on the bare edge of what could be done at that time. Today, the same job could be done by a small force of Tornado's supported by one or two tankers - the munitions are much more accurate today than they were in those days. This would also allow us to hit mainland Argentina on a regular basis (the threat of that in the Falklands War was just that, a threat - it could have been done at a push, but it would have been on the same scale as the Black Buck raids).

We still have the same aircraft carriers we employed in the Falklands War - only this time they are base to a much improved Harrier.

Our Navy has reduced in size, but we also now have standoff capability - cruise missiles. HMS Conqueror would no longer be stuck stalking Argentinian Battleships, but instead it would be engaging land targets.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 25):
Britain got waves of vital inteligence information regarding Argentinian fleet movements from Norway that was forwarded directly to the war command in Northwood outside London. At the time western powers like the USA and UK did'nt have other means of satelite survailance in the area .

One of the best sources of intelligence was the makers of the anti-aircraft systems the Argentinians employed - we had several systems shipped to the UK for indepth investigations, and the makers even helped us develop tactics to defeat them.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:07 am

In terms of Navy, China would probably be right up there. and am not that sure about India.

The sea coast around china is not as vast.In contrast India sea coast covers the arabian sea/Indian ocean & bay of bengal.

The Indian armed forces have no mandatory service & all recruited are volunteers.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Mortyman

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 35):
US Military all branches train extensively even during peactime.

What makes you think that the US is the only one that train extensively ?

na

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:46 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 42):
The Indian armed forces have no mandatory service & all recruited are volunteers.
regds
MEL

Is the sun-wheel on India´s flag blue? On most pictures I´ve seen its black.

EISHN

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:01 pm

No one is gonna like this, but what about Hamas, or al'Quaeda? They're well trained, and in a sense, well armed. They have the coalition forces bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan, and have the capability to strike anywhere in the world, US, UK, Spain, and many other places as well. I'm not looking to start a fight, but there's no denying that they are a deadly force.

Pope

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 27):
Well clearly it's a general notion that is true. But others were correct when they handed it to you that the 1982 Falklands War is a big contradiction to what you said.

First of all, the Falklands happened over a quarter century ago. Secondly, the force projections by the Brits was against an extremely weak opponent. The UK forces performed magnificently during the engagement, but Argentina was as big as an opponent the UK could have taken.

Third, how many times have I heard posters on this forum argue that the EU (in total) didn't have the capabilities of projecting force in Bosnia without US help. If you can't handle an operation in what amounts to your back yard, what hope exists of really being able to project power over greater distances?

Mortyman

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:31 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 45):
No one is gonna like this, but what about Hamas, or al'Quaeda? They're well trained, and in a sense, well armed. They have the coalition forces bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan, and have the capability to strike anywhere in the world, US, UK, Spain, and many other places as well. I'm not looking to start a fight, but there's no denying that they are a deadly force.

Intersting point.

I don't think that these two organzations comes anywhere close to the firepower and the advanced tecnology that the west posess.

However they have an edge when it comes to determination and the will to sacrafice, i think using the tools they have. These organzations in many ways performs kamikazi like operations, something that is not really a part of the western culture.

Elite

Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 47):
However they have an edge when it comes to determination and the will to sacrafice, i think using the tools they have. These organzations in many ways performs kamikazi like operations, something that is not really a part of the western culture.

I am sure the US forces have the same determination and the will to sacrifice as the terrorists, if not greater. The only problem is that they are not uniformed, and that they are everywhere... that is why the US and her allies are having such a hard time in Iraq and other places. It would be easier to go after a government or a country... that's how the terrorists are so effective.

BarfBag

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:09 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 44):
Is the sun-wheel on India´s flag blue? On most pictures I´ve seen its black.

It is navy blue.

Another aspect besides capability of force projection, that matters today, is ability at handling unconventional warfare. The Indian armed forces have extensive experience at urban and guerilla warfare, including some of the best counter-insurgency training schools in the CIJWS (Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School) and its sister schools, that train armed forces from several nations, including the US Army.

We also have significant mountain and high-altitude warfare brigades, having fought and won wars at >15000ft altitude, and continuously maintain troops and equipment at Siachen Glacier, at more than 18000ft.