Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146

RE: "The People's House, Not Pelosi's Politburo!"

Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:54 am

Quoting AirStairs (Reply 49):
The inquiry is not about what part of the Constitution mandates what private companies must research, but what part of the Constitution ALLOWS that a Congressional mandate on said activity exist.

I see this as two questions of the same coin, so to speak.

It does not matter where oil comes from, a larger market and (even if it is just perceived) security of supply will depress futures.

It may be bad for OPEC, but I fail to see how it would depress futures. All that oil going to China and India would mean more and more money going into pockets of investors and big oil. Even if OPEC continues it's current output and the United States adds to that, the price still can go up since China and India will buy more as will the EU, Canada, United States and the rest of the world.

If it is a dream biofuel that could run on a standard or lightly modified engine, be easily transported and at a cheaper cost, there is little incentive to share.

If one company holds the patent on that one little part but gets $20 or $50 for each one sold from now until the end of time, that is a lot of money. Plus, the stock would go up.

Pope

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:48 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 47):
And you can put your name in big letter; "POPE" right next to hers, because you're blasting Pelosi and not Sensenbrenner! Welcome to the club, my friend!

No genius. I very clearly said that the GOP behavior was in no way justified as you can see below. So who's the hypocrite - me who pointed out the failures of the GOP when they controlled Congress or you for being the Pelosi apologist. By the way, haven't you spent the past 8 years accusing the conservative members of this forum for being Bush apologists? I guess this is just one more example of do as I say, not as I do. You've posted so much ridiculous criticism that you had to self delete your original username to try to get away from it.

Quoting Pope (Reply 35):
If anything the GOP's actions during their relatively short lived control of the legislative branch is retribution for over 50 years of Democrat totalitarianism. That doesn't in any way justify it but it does explain the mindset.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 48):

No. Again, it was only a gathering. As per House rules, the minority party can not call hearings and have formal rules and can not even be called to order or swear in speakers.

No sir. This occurred on the House Floor.

Dougloid

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:34 am

Quoting JCS17 (Thread starter):
-- Thaddeus McCotter (R - Michigan)

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecry..._but_GOP_keep_talking.html?showall

I have never been more proud of my GOP affiliation since 2004. Instead of allowing Pelosi to shut-up the chorus, both in Congress and nationwide, my party spoke out.

Did you get the part where the blogger called it a "stunt"?

seb146

Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 51):
No sir. This occurred on the House Floor.

I found a report about the Judiciary Comittee meeting Sensenbrenner closed here:

http://blondesense.blogspot.com/2005...t-unusual-event-sensenbrenner.html

But, I found this too (not related):

http://rawstory.com/exclusives/alexa...na/dems_locked_out_real_id_428.htm

And, what about the voice votes taken when the GOP was in power that were clearly "Aye" but called "Nay?" I don't hear any Republicans outraged over that, either.

But, nothing that happened on the floor of the House.

Pope

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:08 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 53):
I found a report about the Judiciary Comittee meeting Sensenbrenner closed here:

I think we're talking about different things. When I say, it happend on the floor of the House, I'm referring to last week's action. I see that you're referring the the Sensenbrenner incident. Just a misunderstanding.

Falcon84

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:02 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 54):
I'm referring to last week's action. I see that you're referring the the Sensenbrenner incident. Just a misunderstanding.

I thnk it's the usual, self-denying hypocrisy that always seems to leap forth from your mouth. Then again, someone so perfect like yourself, can't be bothered with such details, can you.

Maybe we should all bow to you or something.  Yeah sure

Blackbird

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:57 am

My major issue with Pelosi is predominantly is because she's obstructing justice by preventing any attempts to impeach Bush and Cheney for the crimes we all know they committed.

Blackbird
Let's hope I don't get a heart-attack, or "commit suicide" or something

stasisLAX

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:44 am

Quoting T773ER (Reply 22):
f the United States were just to state that we were intent on drilling and searching for more oil, many people believe that 30-40 dollars would be knocked of the price of light crude overnight due to all the speculators jumping ship.

True. Government over-regulation is at the heart of this matter.

Regarding the debate over the Congressional August recess, I actually prefer that the Congress is shut down. Taxpayers will take the much-needed break from the current Congress' spending spree. Anything that lessens how quickly Congress is in passing new laws and spending citizens hard-earned tax dollars is something that I will always support whole-heartedly.

Republicans have threatened to vote against passing the necessary resolution that would continued to fund the federal government which would be a godsend for responsible taxpayers of all party affiliations. When the bloated federal government shuts down, we taxpayers benefit. Finding a way (anyway) to delay the Congress from digging us all into ever-deeper budget deficits is a wonderful thing.  highfive 

AirStairs

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:57 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 50):
I see this as two questions of the same coin, so to speak.

Eh in my mind they are absolutely different. The Constitution enumerates the powers of government, not of the people. Certainly Congress has the ability to ban commercial activities on federal land, or to regulate the scope of the activity, but, to the best of my knowledge, cannot mandate the content or aim of superflouous or indirectly related spending that would take place somewhere else. That is like telling an airline that they HAVE to buy oil futures because it is their responsibility to deliver the best price to the consumer.

Say it was theoretically able to tack on a research provision, how could it draft an effective one? It is pretty unlikely that itcould squeak by with constitutional legislation specific enough to only affect oil companies operating on government land. Even if it jumped that hurdle, how can Congress mandate research on something that does not yet exist? "Alternative" energy could mean riding a donkey. How could it possibly measure "satisfactory" progress? I am sure that Exxon has no qualms about sitting an overpaid, underachieving engineer in a room and calling it "research" for the chance to get into ANWR. If that were the scenario, how could Congress legally penalize (financially or otherwise) a corporation for simply not doing "good enough" R&D?

To me it sounds a lot like populists (who, by the way, are voluntary consumers) riding on the back of those who choose to actually carry out the current production and the development of future product. What would you do if all the oilmen, seismologists and engineers up and quit rather than comply with a silly provision?

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 50):
It may be bad for OPEC, but I fail to see how it would depress futures. All that oil going to China and India would mean more and more money going into pockets of investors and big oil.

Several weeks back, there was a day that futures shot up something like $9 on the fear of an Israeli strike on Iran that would push the latter to cut off supply to the US. A substantial domestic supply, whether or not it is being sold to China on the spot market at a given time, eases the (mostly irrational) political anxiety that is very much priced into oil.

seb146

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:26 pm

Quoting AirStairs (Reply 59):
Certainly Congress has the ability to ban commercial activities on federal land, or to regulate the scope of the activity, but, to the best of my knowledge, cannot mandate the content or aim of superflouous or indirectly related spending that would take place somewhere else.

There is another point I would like to bring up. I heard yesterday the oil companies simply want the land opened to drilling, not that they will be drilling. There are already millions of acres for oil companies to drill on but they are not. They simply want the land. Not that they would drill. That would not make economic sense to start drilling. Looking for oil costs them money, especially when ExxonMobil just posted the largest profit for any American company ever in the second quarter. How many quarters is that where oil companies posted "largest ever" profits? How much in subsadies do oil companies recieve from the government? And they post the "largest ever" profits quarter after quarter?