Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tsaord
Topic Author

Are Bose Headphones The Way To Go?

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:40 pm

I thought about getting some of these headphones for my upcoming flights to LAS and MCO. I need my dvd player to relax me a little on flights and the headphones I used last year did not block out that engine noise. So I started looking at the Bose noise canceling headphones and boy they are expensive. The other day I was walking around ORD and went into Brookstone and they have noise canceling headphones that were cheaper but I have always heard such great things about the Bose version.

Should I go ahead and spend the extra cash on the Bose headphones or go with something else that is a little cheaper yet effective? I can afford them but if I can save some money it wouldn't hurt lol.

MCOflyer

RE: Are Bose Headphones The Way To Go?

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:45 pm

If they $350, then no wayyyy. Thats my advice; others think the money is well worth it.

Hunter

Kent350787

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:52 pm

Are you after active or passive noise cancelling? What do you currently have that didn't work?

I quite like sennheisers, and they have the PX200, which is a closed design that passively blocks out quite a bit of noise and the 250/300 which are active. Canalphones, such as etymotic, also work well for passive noise cancelling, if you're comfortable with them in your ear.

The Bose work well, but you're paying for the brand (crikey, I'm saying that over Sennheiser's rip-off prices!) - up to you !

Kent

FlyKev

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:55 pm

I recently aquired a pair of Sennheiser PXC300 noise cancelling headphones for my flight to New York- They seemed very good, and at £88, a good price too.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foldable-Min...=electronics&qid=1217894195&sr=8-1

Kev.

Jpax

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:59 pm

Others may cancel out the same amount of noise or close to it, but the comfort after an hour (or several hours) of wearing is where the extra price of the Bose comes into play. If you can afford the Bose, get them. You will be glad you did. Nothing quite beats turning on the ANR in an airliner cabin and having the monotony and volume of it go away drastically.

EDIT: Hey, look at that. I joined two years ago today!

[Edited 2008-08-04 17:15:59]

Pope

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:00 am

I know that when I travel with my Bose, I arrive much more refreshed. They're expensive but worth it if you travel frequently.

Nimish

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:31 am

I use inexpensive in-ear type headphones - of this type (I bought mine on eBay as well)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-SENNHEISER...sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-Headp...sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I personally found them better value than Bose QC - since they are small and cut out *all* outside sound - including the kid wailing in the bassinet  Wink!

Don't forget an airplane headset adapter though - I bought mine in Radio shack for $6 (it does not normally come included with passive noise-cancelling headsets).

fbgdavidson

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:28 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 5):
I know that when I travel with my Bose, I arrive much more refreshed. They're expensive but worth it if you travel frequently.

Agreed. I've had QC2s since 2004 and my wife has QC3s. On a 13hr flight last month I completely forgot I had the QC2s on as they were so comfortable...although I can't sleep in them.

You'll find some people will recommend in-earphones but these don't work so well for me. I have some Bang & Olufsen A8s that I wear with my mp3 player occasionally but for extended periods of time they become uncomfortable due to my ear canal shape I guess....and they are pretty adjustable.

If you are unsure about the QC2s or QC3s then buy a pair and try them onboard then return them. Bose have a 30 day guarantee (might even be 60 or 90) for just that reason.

alfa75

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:27 am

Go for the QC3's. Well worth the money spent.

Where do you live? There is a BOSE store near me and they sell reconditioned* ones for $50 less than normal price. So I got mine for $300 instead of $350. My girlfriend got hers online from the BOSE website and got an extra battery for free. She spent $350 for the headphones, but the $50 battery was free.

* I think the reconditioned ones are the ones people return within 30 days.