Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MOBflyer
Topic Author

Aviation Management Degree - Pairing Options

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:40 pm

I will be attending Auburn University beginning in the Fall of 2009, and majoring in atleast Aviation Management. I understand that AU is the only college in the nation that has its programs dually accredited by the CAA (Council on Aviation Accreditation) and the AACSB (Association to Advance of Collegiate Schools of Business).

My passion in the industry is split between airport air service development and airline route strategy/network development. Aside from these specialties, I would like to procure the academic credentials necessary to obtain a senior position within an airline or airport authority. (Which I am aware depend on experience levels, market status, contact networks, etc - but I would like for my degree choice to enhance my options, not limit them)

I have been planning on getting a dual degree in Marketing, alongside Aviation Management, to foster my aforementioned passions.

My question is twofold: is marketing the right second major? I've read that a business+engineering combination is best, and that perhaps finance would be the best route to go. If engineering is the best, which specialty?

Also, I intend to get my MBA with minimal break in school. Before I settled on getting my Aviation Management undergraduate degree, and then on Auburn, I thought highly of Vanderbilt's business programs. For my MBA, I believe that I will either choose to continue at Auburn (which would not require a break in schooling, but an extra internship class) in Aviation Management; or work the required time and continue my education at Vanderbilt, with a general MBA in management. Considering my desires, are these appropriate MBA specializations? Which weighs more: the major of Aviation Management from Auburn, or the name-recognition of Vanderbilt?

Thanks!

airportugal310

RE: Aviation Management Degree - Pairing Options

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:12 pm

I too am in the same boat as you, except that I already have my aviation management degree. I also have airline experience and now corporate aviation exp.

Gotta take the GRE soon and then decide. Im leaning toward marketing for myself but that is because I took the bare min in finance classes in school. The mainstream financial stuff might be bit over my head...

Could be wrong. Interested in seeing some real world advice/responses myself
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

BlueElephant

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:25 am

Quoting MOBflyer (Thread starter):
I have been planning on getting a dual degree in Marketing, alongside Aviation Management, to foster my aforementioned passions.

Great question..
I just graduated in Aviation Management...and I work a lot with what you would like to specialize in.

I have two suggestions for you.

If you want to go the Business route...I'd suggest either Finance, Economics...or Logistics...Marketing isn't as helpful as you think....

Finance and Economics...you'll be in the heart of Aviation Management...on the Money side...
Logistics or Operations Management...you'd be in good line for the Operations Side...as in..Network Planning...Which is also really cool

Engineering side...Aerospace or Industrial.
Aerospace Engineering and Aviation Management would give you a really good back ground and could probably help you get an Analyst or Marketing Position at a really good Aerospace Manufacturer....
Industrial...Its like Logistics and Operations...but with more of an engineering background...

If it were me...

I'd do a double major...in Industrial Engineering or Logistics on the Business side...and Aviation Management....and then get an MBA in Finance.

JAGflyer

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:33 am

I'm doing Aviation Management at Georgian in Barrie, ON (going into my 2nd year). After the program have the option to do an extra year for a degree from Embry Riddle (B.Sc Technical Management?)
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

MOBflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:36 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 2):

Thanks for your input. My reasoning for marketing was that in many relatively smaller airports, like MOB, the air service development person is also the marketing coordinator. I also thought that the market research classes would be useful in analyzing market potential. Is that not necessarily the case?

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 2):
I'd do a double major...in Industrial Engineering or Logistics on the Business side...and Aviation Management....and then get an MBA in Finance.

The Aviation Management program at AU is completely maintained within their college of business. They formerly offered a logistics degree program, but have since revamped the curriculum to be more comprehensive, and have renamed the program 'Supply Chain Management.' The department is called "Department of Aviation and Supply Chain Management"

The two programs have much overlap, which would reduce my course load (and tuition bill). So a combination of Aviation Management and Supply Chain Management would serve me well?

You suggest an MBA in Finance. Would that be from the likes of Auburn or Vanderbilt? Do employers really care?

BlueElephant

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:48 am

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 4):
Thanks for your input. My reasoning for marketing was that in many relatively smaller airports, like MOB, the air service development person is also the marketing coordinator. I also thought that the market research classes would be useful in analyzing market potential. Is that not necessarily the case?

I have an Engineering Degree in Aviation Management...and I do a good bit of work with small airports in air service development on a daily basis.

I Found a professor and learned how to do independent research. Basically...Its REALLY REALLY important to understand the DOT data, and how to analyze and data mine from it.
You may learn that in a random aviation class, or even a computer class....Marketing as I understand it is more on the side of Statistics. I never really took any business classes, except for a stats class, and a couple basic management classes...but I learned all my research as to analyzing market potential and stuff, through my aviation Professors.

Remember...Markets in aviation..don't really have to do with "Marketing"

The two programs have much overlap, which would reduce my course load (and tuition bill). So a combination of Aviation Management and Supply Chain Management would serve me well?

Well...Supply Chain is a little bit different than Logistics, but If they're under the same school its safe to say, your Aviation Management will be pretty solid in the aspect of Operations Management.

I took a class called Geography of Transportation. which is an Operations Management Class based on Transportation...or a Logistics type class...and I loved it...I learned more about Research...in that class than anything else.

You suggest an MBA in Finance. Would that be from the likes of Auburn or Vanderbilt? Do employers really care?

I suggest Finance....because in my opinion....the Airline Industry...is only based on two Topics...Finance and Operations Management. Think about it. The airline that maintains the best Financial situation....and makes the best use of their planes over an entire network...those are the airlines that do the best.

now you've covered Operations and Aviation with your undergrad....why not look into Finance for your masters.

I don't know that Employer's really care or anything like that...or about the programs at the two schools...in fact..I'm a fresh College grad....with a BS in Aviation Management....But...I got a Job that I really enjoy. I suggest the above because I feel that it would give you a Well Rounded Education...that is focused on Aviation...but that can help you else where as well...really the more you look at Logistics...the more you realize you can use it in any mode of transportation. Think about it. If you've got more questions....email me.