Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SAN787
Topic Author

Brett Favre Reportedly Traded To Tampa Bay

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 am

Let me first say I don't know the level of credibility from this website, but they are reporting the announcement of future hall-of-famer Brett Favre's trade to the Bucs is ready to be announced....

http://savebrett.net/home/brett-favre-traded-to-tampa-bay.html

(earlier this evening, ESPN has reported a trade could come within 24 hours)

I'd say there is a high probability this is true, and there may be a Favre Fairytale after all...with SB XLIII being played in Tampa.
those who don't get carried away should be.

MKE22

RE: Brett Favre Reportedly Traded To Tampa Bay

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:07 am

Ok first of all, this has nothin to do with anything on this site (unless u put on pics of Favre Force One coverage), and 2nd I live in Wisconsin and I am a big Pack fan and have heard nothing so far..

airlinespotter

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:13 am

Oh please, please, please STAY RETIRED. Enough already!

n6238p

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:29 am

What press coverage charters can we expect into TPA?
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

flyingclrs727

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:29 am

Do you think he'll miss the cold weather in Green Bay?

SFONative

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:36 am

Quoting MKE22 (Reply 2):
I live in Wisconsin and I am a big Pack fan and have heard nothing so far..

Really, this was the topic of the evening sport talk show out here in California hours ago....some fan you are!  Wink

Quoting SAN787 (Thread starter):
I'd say there is a high probability this is true, and there may be a Favre Fairytale after all...with SB XLIII being played in Tampa.

It didn't work for KC when they got Montana back in 93', and to boot, Brett is no Montana!  Wink

scrubbsywg

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:40 am

what flight do you think he would take to TB?

masseybrown

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:43 am

Maybe this will bring CO back to SRQ.

calpsafltskeds

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:48 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 9):
Maybe this will bring CO back to SRQ.

Or will it bring CO back to GRB?

Or will CO ever return to GRB since Favre is leaving?

[Edited 2008-08-05 21:48:53]

sf3sce

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:50 am

um ok ew why are we talking about sports on here
jet. its a must.

STT757

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:51 am

Quoting Sf3SCE (Reply 11):
um ok ew why are we talking about sports on here

Brett flew a private jet up to Green Bay, if he is traded to Tampa Bay he is most likely going to fly there vs driving or taking Amtrak.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

platinumfoota

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:51 am

Hmmmm. If Brett Favre threw a pass at 37,000 feet, will it go further?? Just trying to link it to aviation.
Never forget United 93

monorail

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:27 am

Quoting Platinumfoota (Reply 11):
If Brett Favre threw a pass at 37,000 feet, will it go further??

Better yet, what if he threw it from a conveyor belt...  stirthepot 
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

HOMER71

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:52 am

Quoting SAN787 (Thread starter):
(earlier this evening, ESPN has reported a trade could come within 24 hours)

Surprised that ESPN didn't go with something like "ESPN's (insert NFL hack here) is the first to report that the Packers have dealt Brett Favre to Tampa Bay..."

Then when the rumor ends up being unfounded, they go with "ESPN's (insert same hack here) is the first to report that there is NO trade between Green Bay and Tampa Bay imminent..."
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

yooyoo

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:08 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 13):
"ESPN's (insert same hack here) is the first to report that there is NO trade between Green Bay and Tampa Bay imminent..."

Then i can safely discount the rumour that the Bucs are bringing back Doug Williams to back up Favre as well?  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

STT757

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Jets are still in it..

Quote:
According to Brett Favre's agent, Favre is willing to play for either the Jets or the Buccaneers, and he hopes a trade is completed by Thursday at the latest.

Quote:
As of Wednesday morning, Cook saw the Buccaneers and the Jets as the only two realistic teams for Favre.

"I haven't heard of anywhere else," said Cook. "Sure, he'd consider somewhere else, but it would have to be the right place. I don't know for sure, but I think the Packers have called just about everybody. Tampa and the Jets are the two teams out front."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26013997/

slider

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:33 pm

Quoting FlyingClrs727 (Reply 3):
Do you think he'll miss the cold weather in Green Bay?

Not if his recent cold weather games are any indication.

Quoting Platinumfoota (Reply 11):
Hmmmm. If Brett Favre threw a pass at 37,000 feet, will it go further?? Just trying to link it to aviation.

No, but it might make for a more grand INT.

fxramper

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:35 pm

Nothing is official as of 1:33EST. ESPN's, Chris Mortenson reported a bit ago, that the Vikings are still in the hunt to land Brett.

Ps. Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson are idiots. Good luck winning 8 games this season with Aaron Rodgers.

slider

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:45 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 17):
ESPN's, Chris Mortenson reported a bit ago, that the Vikings are still in the hunt to land Brett.

It'll never happen and Mort should know better. But what do you expect from ESPN? Their "sources" are *always* right, right? Thompson won't send Favre to Minny unless it's a Herschel Walker kind of deal. Although I personally wouldn't mind him going there. His late season and playoff swoons are perfectly matched for the Vikes.

Ps. Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson are idiots. Good luck winning 8 games this season with Aaron Rodgers.

Spoken like a true Favre acolyte. The team is greater than one player. Thompson has drafted well, developed a deep, young, hungry team and they'll be fine. Maybe not 13-3 like last year, but it's time to take the training wheels off.

Favre is done. If you examine how the latter half of the past several seasons has gone, not to mention playoff meltdowns, the evidence bears it out. GB needs a QB that can manage a game and not make a costly mistake in clutch time. The mythology surrounding Favre is incredible.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...2318_Cheesehead+reality+bites.html

http://www.chff.net/Articles/11_586_Have_gun,_will_unravel.html

And lest I be branded a "hater", I'm a Packers fan first and foremost, I've watched every snap he's taken and considered myself a huge fan at one time. Now I see him for the disingenuous jackass he is.

fxramper

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:49 pm

Rodgers completed only seven of 20 passes during a Sunday night scrimmage. He was just as shaky during Tuesday's full-pads session as crowd chants of "Bring Back Favre!" and "We Want Brett!" echoed across the practice field

rotfl 

N1120A

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Quoting Airlinespotter (Reply 2):
Oh please, please, please STAY RETIRED. Enough already!

Why? He is perfectly capable of playing.

Bingo.

Quoting Slider (Reply 18):

It'll never happen and Mort should know better.

Unless there is a deal to flip him.

Now I see him for the disingenuous jackass he is.

You really should turn that glance toward Packer management. They essentially forced him out after the season, despite the fact that he is better than the replacement.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

WESTERN737800

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:54 pm

I think the warm weather in TPA will throw him off his game. Smile
Bring back Western Airlines!

fxramper

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Unless there is a deal to flip him.

I'd pay good money to see Brett run out of the tunnel opening day in a Viking's uniform saluting his former team.

rotfl 

LTU932

Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Why? He is perfectly capable of playing.

Because first he said that he wanted to retire, but then started speculations about rescinding his retirement and coming back for next season for months.

Regardless of what happened behind the scenes or not, if Favre wanted to continue playing, despite the fact that he no longer has a future with the Packers, he should have asked to be traded months ago, and spare the NFL with speculations on his future.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

N1120A

Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 23):

Regardless of what happened behind the scenes or not, if Favre wanted to continue playing, despite the fact that he no longer has a future with the Packers, he should have asked to be traded months ago, and spare the NFL with speculations on his future.

The only real home in football Favre has known is Green Bay, and he played as well as any quarterback last year, there was no need to trade him and I doubt he desired to be traded.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LTU932

Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 24):
The only real home in football Favre has known is Green Bay, and he played as well as any quarterback last year, there was no need to trade him and I doubt he desired to be traded.

Then he should have done the more "honourable" thing and stay retired. Remember some time ago, when Michael Jordan suddenly came out of retirement to play for the Washington Wizards? Somehow, I feel that this is Michael Jordan's second retirement all over again, only this time the retirement has lasted only a few months instead of 2-3 years.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

SAN787
Topic Author

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:14 pm

ANITIX87

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:18 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 23):
Because first he said that he wanted to retire

No he didn't. The adminstration pushed him to so they could train their young replacement. At his press conference, Favre's words were, "I'm not sure if I want to play." He had just finished one of his better seasons and lost a rough game a few weeks before because of a costly mistake. He never said he was incapable of playing, or that he wanted to leave the game.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

SAN787
Topic Author

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:30 pm

anyone else notice that Brett's Escalade is already in Buccaneers colors??? scratchchin  laughing 

slider

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:56 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 19):
Rodgers completed only seven of 20 passes during a Sunday night scrimmage. He was just as shaky during Tuesday's full-pads session as crowd chants of "Bring Back Favre!" and "We Want Brett!" echoed across the practice field

The Greg Bedard blog and the Packersnews blog both commented that attendance this morning was sparse, the, no booing was heard, and only one sad sucker was standing there with a Favre sign.

Not coincidentally, IMO, Rodgers had his best practice of training camp, according to Bedard. I don't think it's any coincidence that Rodgers had some shaky practices the last couple of days with all this crap swirling around and the fans booing him (classy). The first practice after the resolution and he has his best day of camp so far.

You really should turn that glance toward Packer management. They essentially forced him out after the season, despite the fact that he is better than the replacement.

Sorry, I’m calling BS on that one. They didn’t force him out. They asked for some kind of commitment from him—a decision. We’ve been jacking around since 2002 (2002!!!) with this retirement kabuki dance. Never before has one prima donna waffled so much, said one thing, then another, retired, then unretired, for years on end. They didn’t force him out, they wanted clarity on the situation. The organization was put in a lose-lose the moment he came out and said he was thinking about unretiring.

And he’s more prolific than Rodgers, no question, who is an unknown quantity. But better? How do you measure that? Because looking at the FACTS, Favre has failed to come up in the clutch when he’s needed to for the past 10 years in the playoffs.

KaiGywer

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 22):
I'd pay good money to see Brett run out of the tunnel opening day in a Viking's uniform saluting his former team.

This kind of salute?  Smile

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

slider

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 30):
This kind of salute?

Yes, that kind of salute. How ironic that game comes up. One of Favre’s classics. Directly from CHFF:

Quote:
Jan. 9, 2005
The reality: The 10-6 Packers draw a gimme, landing the 8-8 Vikings at home in the wildcard round.

The Cheesehead fantasy: Favre heals lepers.

The Cold, Hard Football Facts: Favre turns out a gruesomely disfiguring playoff performance (22 of 33, 66.7%, 216 yards, 6.5 YPA, 1 TD, 4 INT, 55.4 rating), as Packers suffer a humiliating 31-17 loss to one of the worst teams ever to reach the playoffs. Had the Seahawks not lost to the Rams just one day earlier, Favre would have been the first quarterback in history to lose a playoff game to a .500 team.

SiouxATC

Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 am

Favre is done. If you examine how the latter half of the past several seasons has gone, not to mention playoff meltdowns, the evidence bears it out. GB needs a QB that can manage a game and not make a costly mistake in clutch time. The mythology surrounding Favre is incredible.

The smartest post on this thread yet. Couldnt agree with you more sir........ spot on. I grew up in WI and am as much a Packer fan as the next Wisconsinite, well let me take that back, not nearly as much so as most of that crazy state. But he needs to give it up, hes not what he used to be. Last year will not happen again if Brett is the QB, mark my words.

Nothing is official as of 1:33EST. ESPN's, Chris Mortenson reported a bit ago, that the Vikings are still in the hunt to land Brett.

Agreed that Aaron has huge shoes to fill, and WILL never be able to win over those die-hard northern red-neck Packer fans. He is in a no-win situation up there, it's terrible. That being said it's time to give the kid a shot. I can see him developing into a solid QB. Ted Thompson is by no means an idiot. The man knows how to draft, remember the Packers defence up til two years ago? Compare it to what they have now, they brought in a lot of youthful talent at the Linebacker and D-Line position and he was able to turn things right around. Sometimes even if you still have the talent you need to step away and give it up, and that time has come for #4. Whether he is ready or not........

But what do I know??? I'm and Arizona Cardinals fan now. So what does that tell you...  Smile

aerobalance

Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:52 am

ESPN is reporting that Favre was traded to the Jets - 11:50 Eastern Time.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

SAN787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:08 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 33):
ESPN is reporting that Favre was traded to the Jets - 11:50 Eastern Time.

WOW! Feel free to start a new thread!

SAN787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:12 am

Quoting MKE22 (Reply 1):
Ok first of all, this has nothin to do with anything on this site

Can we move this back over to Civil Aviation since Favre is now a Jet???  Wink

SAN787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:32 am

STT757

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:32 am

I don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so (read my post #15)

Here's why the Jets went after Brett Farve so hard.

1.) The Jets are in a position no other team (except the Giants) could understand, they not only share a market with another NFL franchise (the New York Football Giants), they share a fan base, share a stadium (named after the other team), and have to fight for attention from the media. Something the Jets have been getting little of here in the NY/NJ area since the Giants won the Super Bowl.

2.) Their main NYC rival (NY Giants) just won the Super Bowl, the Jets fans are totally disgruntled and the media is ignoring them and falling all over the Giants.

3.) This puts the New York Jets back into the discussions of the media and folks at the water cooler in a town that has been on a Giants high since the Super Bowl.

4.) The new Meadowlands Stadium (no more "Giants Stadium) opens next year, the Giants have their team for the new building and it seems now the Jets have their quarterback to bring the Jets fans to the new building as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3522971

stasisLAX

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:36 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 25):
Then he should have done the more "honourable" thing and stay retired.

The Jets? Why? Brett Favre should remember that he will go from hero to zero with the NYC sportcasters, sports radio jockeys, and the newspaper sports columnists in less than a New York minute. Hope the money is worth all the headaches, Brett.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

mke717spotter

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:24 am

Well I never thought that it would actually come to this...I just kinda feel shattered right now. Brett has been starting for the Packers since the year I was born and I could just never picture him playing for another team. At least being traded to the Jets means that Favre won't play against the Pack this year, where as a trade to the Bucs would of had them matching up in week four. If a trade to Tampa would've happened, I just don't think I would of been able to bear watching that game.

Honeslty, I think that its only a matter of time before Thompson and McCarthy start kicking themselves for chasing Brett out of town. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Rodgers being anything more than just an average NFL starting quarterback. I'm talking like the Jon Kitnas, Aaron Brooks', Brian Grieises, and soon to be ex-New York jet quarterback Chad Pennington. By loosing Favre Green Bay goes from possibly a Super Bowl contending team, to a team that will be lucky if they can even make the playoffs as a wildcard.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

fxramper

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:26 am

Maybe Steven has a chance in the Anut Football League with Farve back in shotgun now.  rotfl 

ltbewr

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:24 am

The important thing here is how it will affect fantasy football Big grin
More seriously, I think the behavior of Favre in this whole deal is very selfish and sorry. Let's see how he holds up to the sun like heat of the NYC area sports press. After a few bad games he may be very sorry he continued to play and with the Jets.

slider

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 39):
Honeslty, I think that its only a matter of time before Thompson and McCarthy start kicking themselves for chasing Brett out of town. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Rodgers being anything more than just an average NFL starting quarterback.

The great thing is that Ted Thompson, the NFL executive of the year I might add, has assembled a solid young team that they only need Rodgers to be average and manage a game and they’ll be fine.

Brett has been starting for the Packers since the year I was born and I could just never picture him playing for another team.

Nobody wants to remember their heroes in another uniform, but that’s part of the business. No offense, but given your relative youth, read more about he history of the NFL and you’ll see this is hardly unique. What is unique is how the disingenuous Favre waffled time and time again, hurt his own legacy, and put his interests above that of the team time and time again. You’ll have plenty of other stars in GB to follow. The Packers have more Hall of Famers than any other team other than the Giants; there will be others.

By loosing Favre Green Bay goes from possibly a Super Bowl contending team, to a team that will be lucky if they can even make the playoffs as a wildcard.

I totally disagree. And the facts—the EVIDENCE—would tell you that it was Favre who destroyed the Packers chances in the playoffs more than anything with his ill-timed INTs and mistakes. You cutout those mistakes, play controlled and disciplined and Favre himself probably would have had a couple more Super Bowl rings on his hand. What makes you think, honestly, that after Favre’s “gunslinger” crap for the past decade that GB would be any closer to a Super Bowl WITH him than without?

The emotion and rhetoric around His Worshipfulness has taken on such epic proportion that it’s difficult to even have an intellectually honest discussion about him at this juncture in his career. The WI media have figured it out by and large finally, but the acolytes and sycophants still haven’t. John Madden’s probably on suicide watch today.

Revelation

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 36):
This puts the New York Jets back into the discussions of the media and folks at the water cooler in a town that has been on a Giants high since the Super Bowl.

Yes, but that's all it does. Favre is better then Penny, but the Jets themselves are a mediocre team, and when Brett doesn't bring them to the promised land, the boo birds will be out in force.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 36):
4.) The new Meadowlands Stadium (no more "Giants Stadium) opens next year, the Giants have their team for the new building and it seems now the Jets have their quarterback to bring the Jets fans to the new building as well.

What's the over/under on Brett being there next year to open that new building?

Quoting Slider (Reply 42):
I totally disagree. And the facts—the EVIDENCE—would tell you that it was Favre who destroyed the Packers chances in the playoffs more than anything with his ill-timed INTs and mistakes. You cutout those mistakes, play controlled and disciplined and Favre himself probably would have had a couple more Super Bowl rings on his hand. What makes you think, honestly, that after Favre’s “gunslinger” crap for the past decade that GB would be any closer to a Super Bowl WITH him than without?

checkmark 

We shall see, but most analysts are saying the Jets will be lucky to hit .500 with or without Favre. As a Pats fan, I can't wait to see the Pats slam him to the ground a few dozen times.

Quoting Slider (Reply 42):
The great thing is that Ted Thompson, the NFL executive of the year I might add, has assembled a solid young team that they only need Rodgers to be average and manage a game and they’ll be fine.

From what we see, that's about what Rodgers is, average. Luckily, MIN/DET/CHI are also quite average.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

slider

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 43):
From what we see, that's about what Rodgers is, average. Luckily, MIN/DET/CHI are also quite average.

Rodgers is an unknown quantity. But he looked sharp against Dallas last year. And he's unquestionably committed to the team--lives in GB, has built chemistry with his teammates, etc.

I'll take a guy fully committed over Favre who, when pressed by McCarthy, couldn't answer the question as to how committed he was.

SAN787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:18 pm

I can't wait to see the Pats slam him to the ground a few dozen times

Is this the same cockiness that got your team defeated by Eli Manning and the New York Giants? I think so.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see Favre & Co. vs. Patriots twice this season!

Revelation

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Quoting SAN787 (Reply 45):
Is this the same cockiness that got your team defeated by Eli Manning and the New York Giants? I think so.

So, you're saying Favre leaves the two Pats games this season with a clean uniform?

Quoting SAN787 (Reply 45):
Anyhow, I can't wait to see Favre & Co. vs. Patriots twice this season!

Me too.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

KBOS

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:38 pm

He went to the Jets?

I thought he wanted to play professional football this season?  Wink
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

SAN787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:50 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 46):
So, you're saying Favre leaves the two Pats games this season with a clean uniform?

Well, Favre's green uniform may work in his favor, therefore turf skidmarks at home may not be so evident...  highfive 

STT757

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:54 pm

What's the over/under on Brett being there next year to open that new building?

We shall see, but one important factor to keep in mind is that even if Brett doesn't take the Jets to the promised land, this trade does help them immensely from a financial view point now that the Jets are trying to shove these Personal Seat licenses for the new stadium down the throats of fans many of whom have held Jets season tickets from the beginning.

The Giants are coming off a spectacular Super Bowl Championship season, they are having no trouble with the PSL and their fans. It's the Jets fans who were crowing the most, this trade helps.