Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

L-188
Topic Author

Chef Is Dead

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:17 pm

Sorry don't have a good link yet, but Isaac Hayes was found dead in his home today. No word on the cause of death but relatives found him next to a running treadmill. He was 65.

In addition to being the voice of Chef on "Southpark" he was also a grammy award winning singer/songwriter.

Sorry but I didn't know the man so I can't put anything about "feelings" here except to maybe laying you down woman and serving you some of chef's cocolate balls.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ShyFlyer

RE: Chef Is Dead

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:30 pm

I lift things up and put them down.

n6238p

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:53 pm

This is getting scary, first Bernie Mac and now Issac Hayes. These things come in three and that worries me even more. Both Hayes and Mac are in a movie thats coming out this fall called Soul Men. Another actor in the movie is Samuel L. Jackson.

God Bless Issac, you were one bad mutha...
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

STT757

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:54 pm

It was almost three black male celebrities, Morgan Freeman dodged one.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Jpax

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:23 pm

"Goodbye, Children!"

"Bye Chef!"  Sad

yfbflyer

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Yipes!!
For a moment there i though you were talking about Lenny Henry

still pretty tragic about Issac Hayes I was dissapointed when he left South Park

Daleaholic

Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:06 pm

As a big fan of South Park this is sad.

Keep an eye on Kenny, Chef!  Smile

R.I.P Isaac.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

TG992

Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:12 pm

More proof that exercise is bad and should be avoided at all costs.
-

PSA53

Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:19 pm

Loved him as "The Duke" in "Escape From New York."Classic cult picture.And also when he sung the theme from "Shaft."Two unforgettable moments.

A#1!"The Duke Of NY!

RIP! Isaac.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

KPDX

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:04 am

"CHILDREN!"

Sad....RIP  Sad

san747

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:00 am

Though he left South Park in a somewhat acrimonious manner, I still had a lot of respect for Isaac. In his heyday, he was great as Chef. In memory, I will post some of his best moments from South Park-

Chef's Prostitute Song

Song about the menstrual cycle (audio only)

"I'm gonna make love to ya, woman!!!"

And last, but not least, I have to add the obligatory "Chocolate Salty Balls" (audio only)
Scotty doesn't know...

UAL747

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:11 am

Also Estelle Getty recently died as well....lots of deaths in Hollywood..

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

stasisLAX

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:18 am

Who's the cat that won't cop out? Shaft!

RIP Isaac Hayes  tombstone 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

SlamClick

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:21 am

Don't you think he was worthy of a thread with his actual name on it?
Seems rather dismissive this way.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ArmitageShanks

Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:15 am

I guess Zenu needed another musician.

Cadet57

Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:28 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 13):
Seems rather dismissive this way.

Actually, when I saw the thread title I realized right off the bat who he was talking about. Either way, very sad.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

TSS

Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:34 am

Quoting Yfbflyer (Reply 5):
Yipes!!
For a moment there i though you were talking about Lenny Henry

Me too.

Isaac Hayes was a Grammy-winning musician and songwriter when the makers of South Park were still in elementary school. The character Mr. Hayes played on South Park was simply a light diversion in a long and distinguished career.

Rest in peace, Mr. Hayes.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

kiwiinoz

Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:02 am

I met him and worked with him a bit when he went to Melbourne as part of the Logies, (a lame Aussie version of the Oscars)

He was a complete tosser. Was glad to see the back of him.

However he was very good as Chef, particularly the salty balls song.

MadameConcorde

Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:11 am

I have just heard it in the news on Classic FM (UK station).
I do not know much about him. Was he a Blues singer?
R.I.P. Mr Isaac Hayes.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

davestanKSAN

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:53 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 13):

checkmark  I agree. Sorry to sound anal, but the man deserves to at least be recognized by his name. Maybe a mod would be kind enough to adjust the thread title.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 18):
I do not know much about him. Was he a Blues singer?

Here you go Madame:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issac_Hayes

RIP Mr. Hayes.  pray 

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

MadameConcorde

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:59 am

Thank you.

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 19):
Here you go Madame:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issac_Hayes

Quoting: "A Shelby County Sheriff's deputy responded to Hayes' home after his wife found him on the floor near a still-running treadmill."

Possibly a heart attack.  Sad
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

HOMER71

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:50 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 16):
Isaac Hayes was a Grammy-winning musician and songwriter

He also has an Oscar on his mantle...

RIP
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

drgreen757

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:43 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,401321,00.html

I think this article sheds some light on why Isaac was no longer a part of South Park in the end.
Save the grey ghosts.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:10 am

I wonder if the last thing he did before he died was crap his pants.  wink 

Is it just me or does it seem like we're losing a lot of celebrities this year, particularly this summer?

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 15):
Actually, when I saw the thread title I realized right off the bat who he was talking about. Either way, very sad.

checkmark 
As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew it was "Chef" from South Park.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

bravo45

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:17 am

Sad day for South Park! No its really sad period.

Quoting Yfbflyer (Reply 5):
I was dissapointed when he left South Park

When did he leave? I only started watching South Park recently after they put all episodes online. And I have been thinking coz its been a few months and no new episodes are showing up. Also was there a reason they had to kill Kenny for good?

san747

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:25 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 24):

When did he leave? I only started watching South Park recently after they put all episodes online. And I have been thinking coz its been a few months and no new episodes are showing up. Also was there a reason they had to kill Kenny for good?

Isaac Hayes left South Park shortly after the infamous Scientology episode entitled "Trapped in the Closet." Isaac was a Scientologist and (this is news to me) he was under intense pressure from Scientology higher-ups to leave the show... In between the 9th and 10th seasons, he was released from his contract and Matt and Trey killed Chef off.

As for Kenny, Matt and Trey killed Kenny off in season 5, in the appropriately named episode "Kenny Dies." They basically stated they were tired of killing him off every episode and thought it was boring. For 2 complete seasons, Kenny was replaced with Butters, Tweek, and some other supporting characters, before he finally returned late in the 7th season. However, when he returned, he was almost never killed off, with the notable (and extremely hilarious) exception of the 11th season finale, "The List."

Kenny is still an active character in the show, and I imagine will be until the show's last episode.

[Edited 2008-08-12 21:37:42]
Scotty doesn't know...

bravo45

Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:44 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 25):

Thanks alot for the info. lol @ the Scientologists being pissed off, I am sure they pissed off a lot of people like Mormons, Jews, Christians and Muslims to name a few. Wonder if any other character belonging to other faiths/organisations got under pressure. Amazing you say Chef was cut loose before the 12th season coz I didn't even notice. Since they have not uploaded any episode since 'Super Fun Time' (12th season) for well over 3 months now, I thought they'd have to adjust to Chef's absence. Any idea when new episodes will be uploaded?

P.S I agree Kenny being killed in every episode was starting to become not funny. It is better this way, though I don't remember seeing him in any episode since he was killed, I need to watch it again.

san747

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 26):

Thanks alot for the info. lol @ the Scientologists being pissed off, I am sure they pissed off a lot of people like Mormons, Jews, Christians and Muslims to name a few. Wonder if any other character belonging to other faiths/organisations got under pressure.

Honestly, not really. Matt and Trey are religious, but not really members of any specific faith, and they certainly not going to leave the show until it ends. They do about 90% of the voices on the show. The only thing I've heard of is that some celebrities have refused to lend their voice to the show due to controversial content, but that's about it.

Christian groups, and other groups have always been pissed off at South Park, but they didn't really "have" anyone on the show to try and get rid of. Chef's situation was actually quite unique and very unfortunate...

Amazing you say Chef was cut loose before the 12th season coz I didn't even notice. Since they have not uploaded any episode since 'Super Fun Time' (12th season) for well over 3 months now, I thought they'd have to adjust to Chef's absence. Any idea when new episodes will be uploaded?

Did I type 12th season? I meant they got rid of Chef in between the 9th and 10th seasons, officially killing him off in the ironically named 10th season opener, "The Return of Chef." As for new episodes, the show is simply going through its normal mid-season break. Expect a new episode on TV, and therefore the website, sometime in early October, and then weekly until late November/early December.

P.S I agree Kenny being killed in every episode was starting to become not funny. It is better this way, though I don't remember seeing him in any episode since he was killed, I need to watch it again.

He's been in almost every episode since at least the 8th season opener, and is still occasionally killed (about once a season by now). Two good episodes with him that are more recent are "Major Boobage" and "Good Times with Weapons."
Scotty doesn't know...

WestJetForLife

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:31 am

Ah, Jesus. That sucks. I always loved him as Chef giving "advice" to the children about various sexual topics. It's so sad that he had to die.  Sad

RIP Issac Hays AKA Chef/The Duke of New York

Nik
I need a drink.