travelin man
Topic Author

Bush: Endangered Species Don't Need Scientists

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Bush to relax protected species rules

Plan takes scientists out of decision making on species status

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26143098/

Basically scientists won't need to be consulted if new development projects affect endangered species habitats.

5 months and counting....

Klaus

RE: Bush: Endangered Species Don't Need Scientists

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:18 pm

They are apparently out to maximize the damage in the dwindling time remaining to them...  crazy 

RJdxer

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:47 pm

The best quote in the whole article:

Richard Pombo, R-Calif., told the AP Monday that allowing agencies to judge for themselves the effects of a project will not harm species or habitat.

"There is no way they can rubber stamp everything because they will end up in court for every decision," he said.

Which is true so I don't see what the problem is. The government will end up in court one way or the other. Might as well just get there as quickly as possible.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Confuscius

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:54 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 2):
Richard Pombo, R-Calif., told the AP Monday that allowing agencies to judge for themselves the effects of a project will not harm species or habitat.

He's still in Congress? I thought he lost in 2006.
Ain't I a stinker?

Blackbird

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:03 am

Another one of Bush's wonderful ideas...

KJ Lesnick

DocLightning

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:13 am

Bush's policies are that he doesn't care about facts. He just cares about what he wants to do. He doesn't need facts about WMD's, global warming, endangered species, HIV transmission, or anything else. He just does whatever he wants.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ltbewr

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 am

This is like if your sick, you don't need a doctor. It is going to take a generation to fix the policies of the last 40 years mainly by Republicans.

MaidensGator

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:00 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):
This is like if your sick, you don't need a doctor.

It's more like if you don't understand the federal regulatory process, let's criticize Bush because he must have got it wrong. What part of

There is no way they can rubber stamp everything because they will end up in court for every decision

do you not understand???
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Blackbird

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:57 am

DocLightning,

Quote:
Bush's policies are that he doesn't care about facts. He just cares about what he wants to do. He doesn't need facts about WMD's, global warming, endangered species, HIV transmission, or anything else. He just does whatever he wants.

You know, I don't know if I could have said it better myself...

Blackbird

RJdxer

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:27 am

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 7):
do you not understand???

What's to understand. Environmentalists will take every decision to court, they already take as many as they possibly can. Might as well get there sooner rather than later. I agree that environmentalist wackos will try and use lawsuits to force changes in our lifestyle to vainly try and influence global warming.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Charles79

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:08 am

This decision is sad and disturbing, but somehow doesn't surprise me knowing the source. Protecting endangered species is much more than some environmentalist "wackos" trying to force a greener lifestyle down our throats. It's about protecting natural life and beauty that cannot defend itself. We do not own this country, this continent, or the planet. We are merely care-takers of it until we hand it to our next generation.

It's very true that because of lawsuits and protests by the "wacky greenies" many projects have been slowed, altered, or stopped, often at a price premium. But for the most part when our lifestyle becomes unbearable we can just pack up and move. Nature doesn't have that luxury.

It's a real mystery how some folks can sleep at night after making decisions such as this.

iflykpdx

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:16 am

5 months indeed. We only have one planet to f**k up, so I'm all for tight regulation.
Airport Management - UND

Beaucaire

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:15 am

Somebody who has managed to study in Yale and acomplishes such an incredibla amount of stupid statements,should be put on the world's endangered species himself and put into a zoo...
But maybe that's how members of "Skull and Bones" read books..

“The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country.”
- George W. Bush

“If we don’t succeed, we run the risk of failure.”
- George W. Bush

“One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that one word is ‘to be prepared’.”
- George W. Bush

“I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future.”
- George W. Bush

“The future will be better tomorrow.”
- George W. Bush

“We’re going to have the best educated American people in the world.”
- George W. Bush

“I stand by all the misstatements that I’ve made.”
- George W. Bush

“We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe.”
- George W. Bush

“Public speaking is very easy.”
- George W. Bush

“A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.”
- George W. Bush

“We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.”
- George W. Bush

“For NASA, space is still a high priority.”
- George W. Bush

“Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.”
- George W. Bush

“It isn’t pollution that’s harming the environment. It’s the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.”
- George W. Bush

“It’s time for the human race to enter the solar system.”
- George W. Bush
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

AustrianZRH

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:13 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 12):
“I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future.”
- George W. Bush

Well, haven't you seen the pic where a beefed-up DeLorian is unloaded from Air Force One? Big grin  Wink
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

RJdxer

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 12):

As opposed to a certain someone who can Um,,,,Well,,,,,Uh,,,Yes,,,,Um,,,,,Ah,,,,Just a minute,,,,,,Um,,,,,Ah,,,,,Geez,,,,,,Um,,,,Well,,,,,Uh,,,Yes,,,,Um,,,,,Ah,,,,,,,,Ah,,,,,Geez,,,,,,Oh,,,,,,Ah,,,,,, Um,,,,Well,,,,,Uh,,,Yes,,,,Um,,,,,Ah,,,,,,,,,,Um,,,,,Ah,,,,,Geez,,,,,,Oh,,,,,,Ah,,,,,,Just a minute........with the best of them? If you're voting for charisma, then that's the stupidest vote of all.

Blackbird

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Protecting endangered species *is* quite important as one species often has an effect on others. Take the wrong species out, and it's like dominoes -- all the others end up getting taken out.

Blackbird

Beaucaire

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:52 pm

The only endangered species that one could remove from nature without harm would be GWB..
 devil   devil 

The topic is too serious to be treated on a 15 post discussion on a.net.
Those who are really into wildlife protection and animal-rescue operations usually don't post on a.net.
ALL species-even the ones we might ask- why the heck do those monsters exist- have a valid reason to figure in the balance of nature.The very moment, politicians try to find reasons to soften the already weak protection for animals,things go down the drain quite fast.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

ER757

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:32 pm

Quoting Travelin man (Thread starter):
5 months and counting....

Jan 20th can't come soon enough - the carnage wreaked by this administration on so many fronts is beyond criminal. Good riddance GWB!

RJdxer

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 15):
Take the wrong species out, and it's like dominoes -- all the others end up getting taken out.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 16):
The very moment, politicians try to find reasons to soften the already weak protection for animals,things go down the drain quite fast.

Of course no speicies has ever gone extinct before without man some how being the cause right?

ER757

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 18):
Of course no speicies has ever gone extinct before without man some how being the cause right?

Red Herring - are you trying to say that man hasn't caused the extinction of any species?

RJdxer

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:51 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 19):
Red Herring - are you trying to say that man hasn't caused the extinction of any species?

Nope, asking if man is responsible for all species going extinct, or is it an act of nature since they can't adapt? Of course we all know that no God would ever have anything to do with it. It's just insulting to say that someone "wants" to make a speicies extinct which is what a few of the posters here are intoning.

N1120A

Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:11 pm

"There is no way they can rubber stamp everything because they will end up in court for every decision," he said.

Bullpuckey. There is already plenty of rubber stamping that goes on, particularly at BLM. The ESA is one of the few environmental laws in this country with real teeth, and abolishing independent review effectively neuters it.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):
It is going to take a generation to fix the policies of the last 40 years mainly by Republicans.

40? More like almost 60.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

RJdxer

Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
40? More like almost 60.

Please. We followed the tree huggers advice of just letting the forests be forests and not trying to police up fuel in the form of dead trees and dead branches on the ground and we ended up with fires 10X worse. That's just one example.

DocLightning

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:30 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 20):
Nope, asking if man is responsible for all species going extinct, or is it an act of nature since they can't adapt?

Not all extinctions are caused by man. However, if you have an already endangered species and a major habitat for that species is where you want to put a development, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that mankind is having a hand in the extinction of that species.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

RJdxer

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:00 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 23):
However, if you have an already endangered species and a major habitat for that species is where you want to put a development, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that mankind is having a hand in the extinction of that species.

And I guess we've been at it for quite some time.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...0812092319.fl24b7tk&show_article=1

davestanKSAN

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:10 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 14):

I'll assume you're talking about Sen. Obama. What, exactly does he have to do with this thread?? I'm just wondering.

Carry on.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

ER757

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:16 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 20):
Nope, asking if man is responsible for all species going extinct, or is it an act of nature since they can't adapt?

Of course man isn't responsible for all extintions - but your original statement was, to me, making a point that man wasn't responsible for any extintions, which is ridiculous. If I mis-read your meaning, I apologize. Otherwise, I stand by my calling B.S. on your statement.

RJdxer

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:43 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 25):
I'll assume you're talking about Sen. Obama. What, exactly does he have to do with this thread?? I'm just wondering.

About as much as a post highlighting any mis-spoken words by the current President.

Quoting ER757 (Reply 26):
Of course man isn't responsible for all extinctions

But to some here he might as well be. The statement was sarcasm since man could not be responsible for all animal or plant extinctions since there is still life on this planet that we aren't even aware of.

Flighty

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:31 am

If Bush thinks he can fix science, then scientists should be allowed to write new chapters in the Bible. It's only fair.

travelin man
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:22 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 27):
The statement was sarcasm since man could not be responsible for all animal or plant extinctions since there is still life on this planet that we aren't even aware of.

Doesn't change the fact that we should be trying to protect the species that we ARE aware of.

We shouldn't be ignoring the scientists that can help us do that.

RJdxer

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:24 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 29):
We shouldn't be ignoring the scientists that can help us do that.

If they had picked up the pace and streamlined their operations perhaps the changes wouldn't have been made. I smell two agencies trying to protect their budgets more than I smell trouble for any species. Remember when we were told that the spotted owl had to have old growth forest to survive? Right up until documented evidence surfaced of spotted owls nesting in trees in a new forest that had grown up since a fire? Life is much more resilient than man gives it credit for.