MCOflyer
Topic Author

Need Help With Tattoo Design

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:50 pm

Recently I have discussing on what to get for a tattoo and I have decided what to get; The Japanese symbol meaning new beginning. How you can help; What should my design include and where should I put it? All comments appreciated.

Background of tattoo; All my life I have been one angry person and only recently have been happy. I feel as if I have been reborn ; hence the new beginning symbol.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

MSYtristar

RE: Need Help With Tattoo Design

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:54 pm

This is a decision that you have to make entirely. No one here can pick out a symbol for you or tell you where to put it. My suggestion would be to go to a local tattoo place and check out some of the samples that they have done...look through the design books...check around and don't rush into it. You will have this for a long time so this needs to be something you like...not what people on the internet think you would like.

MaidensGator

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 1):
You will have this for a long time so this needs to be something you like...not what people on the internet think you would like.

Or more likely what people on the internet think would be funny as shit...

Just don't put it on your forehead, that's just SO tacky....
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Hywel

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:26 pm

Get the Apple logo with "designed by Apple in California, made in China" underneath Big grin

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:32 pm

This is a decision that you have to make entirely.

Well I appreciate the input as in the end it is my call. Just looking for suggestions with people who have tattoos.

Hunter

ACDC8

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 4):
Just looking for suggestions with people who have tattoos.

I've got a tattoo and what MSYtristar said is very good advice.

Don't let other people influence your decision on one, this is your tattoo and you have to figure out why it is you want one and what you want to represent that decision.

Take your time to figure out why it is you want one and what design. Don't rush.

As far as the location goes, getting suggestions on that wouldn't hurt. Personally, I'd go for a place on your body that can hide the tattoo if needed, look aesthetically pleasing and somewhere that won't be as prone to the affects of aging. Mine is right between my shoulder blades. It can be hidden, looks good (IMHO) and won't sag as much as I age compared to other parts of my body.

Bottom line is this. A tattoo is a very big decision and should not just be toyed around with. This will be a part of you for the rest of your life so you have to be 100% sure that you want one, know what you want and where you want it. If I were you, I'd still wait a couple of years to think about it. If you're not willing to do that, you're honestly not ready for one.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 5):
Mine is right between my shoulder blades. It can be hidden, looks good (IMHO) and won't sag as much as I age compared to other parts of my body.

That where its going to go. How big do you recommend in order for it to be hidden?

Hunter

ACDC8

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:10 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 6):
That where its going to go. How big do you recommend in order for it to be hidden?

Mine is only about 5 inches across, you could go bigger if you wanted. You could do your whole back and as long as it didn't go above your neckline, it would remain hidden with any normal shirt.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:54 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 7):

Mine is only about 5 inches across, you could go bigger if you wanted.

Its about as big it will go and I am excited as it will mean something.

Hunter

airtrainer

Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi, my advice would be to think twice about it (that's exactly what you are doing with this thread  Smile ), and don't do it JUST by excitement. When I went to the tattoo shop I had to pay in advance and come back two weeks later (they would give my money back if I had changed my mind). Also remember that a tattoo is only supposed to mean something to YOU, the worst thing you could to is to do it for a girlfriend or someone else... I have a small snoopy tattoed on my ankle, it can look silly to some people but I really don't care about them when I wear shorts, it means something to me and I'm also almost 100% sure that noone as the same  Silly
Just my two cents, good luck for your own tattoo !
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Dougloid

Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:47 pm

I have one tattoo, and that's a blue dot on my left leg from when Greg Novak stabbed me with a ballpoint pen in high school-otherwise, I avoid such things.

I was at a sub shop one time and a guy had a string of oriental characters going up the side of his neck. I asked him "What's that mean?" He said "fighting fists of brave dragon" or some such blather. I asked him "How do you know?" he says "Well, that's what they told me at the tattoo parlor." I said, "You don't really know. It could say 'stupid roundeyes son of a turtle turd' and you wouldn't know the difference."

laughing   laughing 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

TSS

Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:06 pm

Why not go with a picture symbolizing rebirth instead of characters in a language you neither speak nor read? Something along the lines of a butterfly emerging from it's cocoon might be nice, plus it could be a great deal more colorful.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

don81603

Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Most parlours have photos of their work for you to check out. Ask friends, relatives, coworkers whoever that have tattoos where and when they were done. I have one from 25 years ago that looks a hell of a lot better than one done 8 years ago

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 5):

Location, location, location. All 6 of mine are visible with t-shirts, but a dress shirt and jacket will hide them nicely. I've seen people with some wild designs on their necks and faces applying for jobs in the service industry. Any fastfood joint that would hire someone with a snake tattooed across their cheek (looking like it's coming out of their mouth) and winding around the neck dissappearing into their shirt is one place I won't eat.

Quoting Airtrainer (Reply 9):
the worst thing you could to is to do it for a girlfriend or someone else

Amen! The tattoo is permanent, even if the relationship isn't. Many places won't tattoo names, unless it's the name of a child, or a deceased relative/friend for memorial purposes.

Before you make a potential horrific mistake, really REALLY think it through. depending on where you're planning to get the tattoo, it could hurt like hell (areas where the skin is very close to the bone) or if you're ticklish, it could really screw up the design. If/when you get it done, you have to take care of it until it peels (about 3 to 6 weeks) with skin conditioner, which most tattoo shops will supply. A good selection of tattoo flash (art) is available at http://www.tattooflash.info/Category/Free_Tattoo_Flash_Links/

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

ACDC8

Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:20 pm

Quoting Airtrainer (Reply 9):
don't do it JUST by excitement.

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 12):
Before you make a potential horrific mistake, really REALLY think it through

One cannot suggest this enough times. Take your time and think and through. Don't say you have thought it through, be smart and really think it through.

I'm not trying to discourage you but try to make you realize that this is a very important decision.

britjap

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 11):
Why not go with a picture symbolizing rebirth instead of characters in a language you neither speak nor read? Something along the lines of a butterfly emerging from it's cocoon might be nice, plus it could be a great deal more colorful.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I couldn't agree more with this. I don't know why so many western people seem to get tattoos with Chinese/Japanese characters these days. If you don't speak these languages the symbol is just meaningless, and if they are native to you, you wouldn't be getting such a tattoo.

But at the end of the day it is your call. My only advice would be to be very very careful and do your research beforehand.

True story.....I once saw a guy here in the UK with a tattoo that said "無料". I was very surprised. Then I realised that what he had probably wanted was a tattoo saying "自由"

自由 means "free" as in freedom/liberty.
無料 means "free" as in free of charge!!!!!!
(In Japanese)

And just today when I was on the bus, I saw a guy with a tattoo saying "魔". It wasn't made out very well and more importantly it was completely backwards!! (Like a mirror image) I am assuming the original character was drawn out on paper but the stencil used to mark out the outline for the tattoo was applied backwards. (is that how they do tattoos? I am no expert)

So be careful and at least make sure that you get what you want and that it says what you want it to say.

don81603

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:48 pm

Quoting BritJap (Reply 14):
tattoo was applied backwards

Yes, the stensil is a mirror image, so it appears normal when transfered to your skin so the artist can apply the tattoo.

britjap

Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:36 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 15):
Yes, the stensil is a mirror image, so it appears normal when transfered to your skin so the artist can apply the tattoo.

That's what I thought and that is all well and good when the stencil is indeed a mirror image.

My point was that in this case the finished tattoo ended up being backwards. So I assumed that the stencil must have been applied back to front. Clearly neither the guy doing the tattoo nor the guy getting it done had the slightest idea of how it should look or be read.

TylerDurden

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:04 am

Mine are in black ink.
I don't care for tattoos that are too colorful---they look feminine IMHO.

And be prepared to get them touched up every couple years to keep them crisp....and beware that shading on tattoos doesn't 'touch up' well.

location is important. But size of the tattoo is just as critical....

I had one removed.....ten times as painful and costly as getting it.

don81603

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:34 am

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 17):
And be prepared to get them touched up every couple years to keep them crisp

If done properly, no touch ups should really be needed My second oldest (22 years old) is still fairly vibrant. Granted, there has been some fading, but after 22 years it's to be expected. On the other hand, I have a 10 year old tattoo that has pretty much faded into obscurity...

Again, check with anyone you know who has had ink done in your area, and get as many opinions as you possibly can.

bhmbaglock

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:34 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
Recently I have discussing on what to get for a tattoo and I have decided what to get; The Japanese symbol meaning new beginning. How you can help; What should my design include and where should I put it? All comments appreciated.

First, do yourself a favor and go to hanzismatter.com A shocking number of people get "spiritual" oriental tattoos that at best are nonsense and in the most extreme cases may translate to "Ass Guard" for example which happens to be tattooed over the crack of Ronaldo's GF's butt.

Given the fact that you don't really seem to stay consistent about anything (other than being a PW) in your life perhaps you should start easy and get a henna version done. Kind of a try before you buy.

If you do go all the way with this, I would suggest finding a native Japanese speaker(plenty at the Mouse House) and make sure the proposed symbol really means what you think it does. Otherwise, you might being doing the equivalent of putting this

on your forehead.
Where are all of my respected members going?

IHadAPheo

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:56 am

Find something that you can identify with and something that you want to identify you for a long time to come as your ink will stay with you unless you go through the fun of removal

I would avoid the barber pole with a cherry on top that I sadly had to see on the Mr. Happy of a patient in the ER back in my ER tech days, (you can guess what the stem was)

However if you do choose to go the Barber pole route please note that "things" tend to shrink with age and you may end up with only one color left on the pole.

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

MaverickM11

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:05 am

How 'bout no tattoo? You'll save money *and* you'll never regret having a cliché tattooed to your body! Smile Granted I'm very biased against tattoos....

Quoting TSS (Reply 11):
Something along the lines of a butterfly emerging from it's cocoon might be nice, plus it could be a great deal more colorful.

All those colors inevitably fade to drab olive grey/green
E pur si muove -Galileo

KAUST

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:44 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 21):
How 'bout no tattoo? You'll save money *and* you'll never regret having a cliché tattooed to your body! Smile Granted I'm very biased against tattoos....

You and me both, Mav. I am not into tats, piercings, drinking, smoking, or drugs. Man am I dull.

As for Hunter, I will give you a quote from The Simpsons:

"Look in your heart. You will know what's right."

Smile
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 am

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 17):

I don't care for tattoos that are too colorful---they look feminine IMHO.

I am a feminist so thats two.

Quoting KAUST (Reply 22):

You and me both, Mav. I am not into tats, piercings, drinking, smoking, or drugs. Man am I dull.

As for Hunter, I will give you a quote from The Simpsons:

"Look in your heart. You will know what's right."

Smile

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

As for the guy who says I am not consistent, well your wrong. I am in many things; perhaps if you ask I can tell you.

Hunter

ACDC8

Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:08 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 23):
As for the guy who says I am not consistent, well your wrong. I am in many things; perhaps if you ask I can tell you.

Just so you know, I didn't imply that you were just in case you were thinking that. Just want you to realize that it is a very big decision.

Here's a pic of mine if you're interested ....

.... I had it done back in the summer of 2004. Best thing about it is that it was completely done freehand (no stencil).

don81603

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:31 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 24):
Just want you to realize that it is a very big decision.

I agree, and can't stress this enough. Unless you are 150% sure, do NOT get it done. My first one was a huge mistake, but fortunately it was small and simple enough that it could be covered up with another tattoo.

A few other things to remember:

Good tattoos aren't cheap, and cheap tattoo aren't good, so expect to pay in the area of $150-$200 minimum.

Some people find that getting tattoos can become addicting, and therefore quite expensive. My 7 have run me about $1500.00, and, you got, at least 2 more to come at a combined $600.

As has been said before, pick the spot and design very carefully. For a first tattoo, make it something small, and get it done on your upper arm, or shoulder blade. These places are the most painless, but it'll still hurt a bit, and very easy to hide, even in a t-shirt.

Some people will look at you differently once you get ink done. Some women find them a turn on, others find them a turn off. Still others will judge you by your artwork. All of mine are on my arms, and are (to some people) somewhat gothic. A collection of 3 skulls, a black panther, the grim reaper and a very simple custom design. The skulld tend to make some people shudder.

To hell with what others say, if you do get one, get something that means something to you. You are the one who has to live with it for the rest of your life. If you really want a Japanese design, have a native Japanese speaker write out your name, and take him to the tattoo shop with you to ensure it is done properly. A guy I was in the navy with went to a shop in Hong Kong and asked the artist to tattoo his name on his arm. After he had the tattoo, he learned to his embarrassment that what the guy had tattoos wasn't his name, but "I'm an asshole".

TylerDurden

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:05 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 18):
If done properly, no touch ups should really be needed

There were done properly---I just like them looking very crisp.

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 18):
Granted, there has been some fading, but after 22 years it's to be expected

Nothing worse than a faded tattoo...that's why I get them touched up....

Speedbirdie

Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:04 pm

Tattoo ink has changed over the past year. The ink in them stays black
now forever. When I got my tattoo I was concerned that it would turn green
over the years and it would look awful but the new ink in them means
you never have to get them touched up.
Unfortunately, I was in a very bad place when I got my tattoo. I was also
rather drunk and stoned and thought it was a clever idea until the
morning after. I regretted it straight away and to be honest I still
regret having it done. Fortunately its not that bad, but I would choose
a tattoo very wisely before having it done.
Never give up..

ACDC8

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:22 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 25):
These places are the most painless, but it'll still hurt a bit,

A bit? I was in tears ....  Silly

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 25):
To hell with what others say, if you do get one, get something that means something to you.

Agree 100% The worst tattoos are those tattoos that everyone gets because everyone else gets one and they all have the same design because its "in" this year. The design should be very personal, which has an added bonus of explaining to people why you got a tattoo and why you chose the design. Makes it more interesting conversation then telling people that you though it was just cool.

Personally, I'm still thinking of getting a second one, I'd like to get an outline of the Mustang Pony, but I'm still unsure of where.

VonRichtofen

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:43 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 28):
Agree 100% The worst tattoos are those tattoos that everyone gets because everyone else gets one and they all have the same design because its "in" this year.

Which can be said for about 99% of tattoos out there. The best example probably being the "tramp stamp"

Anybody in the tattoo removal business is going to make a fortune in 10 years or so when the current generation of whores and wannabe tough guy Joe Schmoe's realize they were just following the other sheep and finally decide to get it removed.

ACDC8

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:47 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 29):
Anybody in the tattoo removal business is going to make a fortune in 10 years or so when the current generation of whores and wannabe tough guy Joe Schmoe's realize they were just following the other sheep and finally decide to get it removed.

So sad yet so true. So if anyone out there wants to invest in something within the next few years ..... Big grin

iairallie

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:01 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 12):
Amen! The tattoo is permanent, even if the relationship isn't. Many places won't tattoo names, unless it's the name of a child, or a deceased relative/friend for memorial purposes.

I used to tease my high school/early college boyfriend because he was afraid of needles. Jokingly I'd say to him you mean you don't love me enough to have my initials tattooed on you butt. I thought it was pretty clear I was joking. Not more than a year before we broke up he picked me up at the airport and said I have something to show you. It was my initial tattooed on his hip/side cheek. I couldn't believe it.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

don81603

Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:23 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 31):

I have a friend who has 8 names tattooed on his arm, each with a line through it, and underneath it says "Your name here". Good for a chuckle...

MaverickM11

Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:28 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 29):
Which can be said for about 99% of tattoos out there. The best example probably being the "tramp stamp"

Ugh...or all those gays, and wannabe gays with a facking barbed wire or tribal design around their bicep. It's like an IUD in the form of a graphic Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

ndebelebev

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:20 pm

I have 9 tattoos... each one meaning something personal to myself... As I always say if people don't like them then they don't need to look at them...

Yes think wisely before you get one done and if its in the right place it can always be covered up..

Some good advice off people on here but ultimately the choice is yours..

Bev xx
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

jetmech

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):

If your gonna get a tat, go the whole hog I say!

If those are too colourful for your liking, you can always get something in classic black!

Don't go too crazy!

Regards, JetMech

[Edited 2008-08-17 09:37:26]
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .