Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Daleaholic
Topic Author

Northern UK Is Beyond Revival...

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:27 pm

...if you listen to this bunch of fooking half wits!

Whoever is part of this 'thinktank' needs to have a word with themselves! I don't understand this obsession with London being the greatest city in the world, it's far from it! No doubt each and every person who contributed to this 'report', lives and works in London or the surrounding areas.

London is a horrible place if you go away from the centre, wonder how many tourists have visited Brentford, Dagenham, Luton or Leyton? I can say from personal experience that London is not passing its prosperity onto these towns!

Taking tips from BA I think, get everybody into London  Wink

I'd much rather live in a Northern Mill town (which I do, Rochdale) which lost its main industry many years ago, than live down south.

As Jim Royle might say... London my arse!

Rather be a northern monkey than a southern fairy  Wink

IH8BY

RE: Northern UK Is Beyond Revival...

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Thread starter):
Rather be a northern monkey than a southern fairy  

Out of my sight, uncultured northern buffoon!

Actually, this is one of the things that has been bugging me all day (and the Have Your Say box on the Times website, on which I originally read the story, doesn't give me nearly enough space to have my say!).

Having lived in the South and the North in the last few years, this report dismays me somewhat. I've done projects on regeneration and so on, and as far as I can see in many of these circumstances it seems to work. Newcastle, which would probably have been condemned in much the same light as Sunderland ten years ago, is an exciting city, a thriving city, and now a landmark in Britain. Regeneration has attracted investment, and furthermore the social effect of regeneration has been a catalyst in shaking off the pessimism that had seemed to drag it down in the past.

Better to do that, and have moderate success, than to do what the report suggests and move a million people into Oxford. Living in Oxford, I have no idea how this would work. The current infrastructure and town centre are already sagging under the weight of 140000 people - it couldn't cope with a million people without razing the historic centre to the ground and starting again. I suspect the authors of the report may be viewing the potential of Oxford and Cambridge from the perspective of former students - a rose-tinted vision which has seemingly no idea of how deprived many areas of these cities are. Oxford has notorious council estates, ranking alongside the most deprived areas of the country, a massive drug problem, and limited potential to expand transport links due to the nature of the historic city.

If anything, we should probably be encouraging further investment in the North of England, particularly with enhanced transport links - high speed rail linking London with the major cities is absolutely essential. London, whilst currently competitive, is losing its edge because of costs and cramped conditions. Better links to areas where people can actually afford to live comfortably, and where land is flexible and cheap, are really needed. Relying on London for the short term will produce results, but I suspect that continuing to open up the North as an arena for international investment would be a sustainable pathway to growth in Britain once London's limits are reached, and this should happen as soon as possible so that we are not caught out with one uncompetitive capital city and no other opportunities.

On a completely different note, I have to say I found living in the North East remarkably refreshing. So friendly compared to Oxford!

David_itl

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:41 am

Taking tips from BA I think, get everybody into London

I've heard rumours that certain members of airliners.net have written that report as they seem to think that we're all impoverished up here!

Apparenrly Greater Manchester's economy is bigger than 15 EU countries. Perhaps we ought to encourage those resident to become economic migrants to London instead as more people would "benefit" from the unending wealth down there?

baroque

Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 1):
Newcastle, which would probably have been condemned in much the same light as Sunderland ten years ago, is an exciting city, a thriving city, and now a landmark in Britain.

And it could easily have become the capital by early 1941. Then we could have fixed those southerners. Pity the chlorine from the sea coal did not get them back in the 13th Century!

CPDC10-30

Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Absolute nonsense. Although I have moved from the North to the South myself, in many ways I feel that the quality of life is higher in the north. Many northern towns are much more lively, vibrant and modern than those in the south.

For example: compare Warrington with Slough. No question I would pick Warrington every time.

In fact the only reason I moved was because my partner works in investments and couldn't find related work in Manchester. The quality of the property is better and people are indeed more friendly.

ferengi80

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Being originally from Brighton, I have spent the the majority of my life in the North, firstly in Wythenshawe, south Manchester, and now in Widnes, Cheshire. I work in Liverpool, and love the city.

My Dad was born and raised in Manchester, and served in the Royal Army Pay Corps for 27 years, travelling extensively. He retired from the Army in 1984, from Preston Barracks, Brighton, and it was decided that we would move to Manchester.

One thing Dad said that always stays with me is that the people in the North are far friendlier than the people in the South - and it is true! You can literally sit in a pub in the South and not talk to a single person all evening, however, if you go in to a pub in the North, you will be talking to someone within five minutes! That is, generally, true! The North does seem to be considerably friendlier than the South!

Gman94

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:09 pm

Strange I have yet to experience this friendlier north that you people speak of. In my experience there is not much difference between the friendliness of Southerners and Northerners. Nothing wrong with London either it's not perfect and has problems like any major city.

I really don't understand why people are getting so offended by this, it's a think tank that's paid to come up with ideas etc no matter how silly they are and rightly this is being dismissed by everyone as compete lunacy. No need for anyone to start attacking the South or Southerners based on the opinions of a few numbnuts.

gkirk

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 6):
Nothing wrong with London

Apart from it's full of English folk  Wink

planesarecool

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:23 pm

London is a horrible place if you go away from the centre, wonder how many tourists have visited Brentford, Dagenham, Luton or Leyton? I

Since when is Luton in London?

Quoting Ferengi80 (Reply 5):
You can literally sit in a pub in the South and not talk to a single person all evening, however, if you go in to a pub in the North, you will be talking to someone within five minutes! That is, generally, true!

That depends more on how sociable you are, not where you come from. I've never had a problem talking to people in the pub.

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 4):
For example: compare Warrington with Slough. No question I would pick Warrington every time.

With respect, that's because no two people in Slough speak the same language. Compare Guildford to Bradford and you get much the opposite result.

Gman94

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 7):

Apart from it's full of English folk Wink

If there is one thing Northerners and Southerners can agree on is that you Scot's are heathen skirt wearers.
 Big grin

David_itl

Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:51 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 7):

Apart from it's full of English folk

It may have some English folk, but London is a melting pot of the world's population...read 1 article today which says some 200 languages are spoken in the city. Rubbish, Gibberish and Crap are 3 of the languages, what are the other 197?

In fact the only reason I moved was because my partner works in investments and couldn't find related work in Manchester.

How long ago did you move? With the Bank of New York expanding its operations here, I'm sure that something suitable (if not as well paid!) may up for grabs.

Quoting David_itl (Reply 2):
I've heard rumours that certain members of airliners.net have written that report as they seem to think that we're all impoverished up here!

And one of the rumoured people has put in an appearance in this thread.

planesarecool

Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:31 pm

Quoting David_itl (Reply 10):
Rubbish, Gibberish and Crap are 3 of the languages, what are the other 197?

Looking at most of your posts with regards to BA, those three languages are also spoken up North as well.  Yeah sure

If you represent a typical 'Northerner', then I'm staying down South thanks.

N1120A

Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:31 pm

Quite frankly, I don't see much a difference between Northerners and Southerners in England other than the accents. They are all generally kind and warm people, certainly far from the stereotype of the stogy Englishman.

London is a horrible place if you go away from the centre, wonder how many tourists have visited Brentford, Dagenham, Luton or Leyton?

Luton is NOT London

gkirk

Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:42 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
Luton is NOT London

Aeropuerto del Londres Luton  Wink

OA260

Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:42 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 7):

And Scottish immigrants .  Wink

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 9):
If there is one thing Northerners and Southerners can agree on is that you Scot's are heathen skirt wearers.
Big grin

checkmark   checkmark 

Scotty

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 9):
If there is one thing Northerners and Southerners can agree on is that you Scot's are heathen skirt wearers

And that you would all love to come and live here

David_itl

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 11):
Looking at most of your posts with regards to BA....

Have you poked your nose at MAN news 19? I seem to be the only one in favour of the alliance!

BAViscount

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:59 pm

For example: compare Warrington with Slough. No question I would pick Warrington every time

Don't ever compare ANYWHERE with Slough...except maybe Chernobyl!!  Wink

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 8):

My thoughts exactly!

That depends more on how sociable you are, not where you come from. I've never had a problem talking to people in the pub.

Daleaholic mentioned something about London being horrible if you go outside of the centre. I beg to differ, infact I believe entirely the opposite is true. Central London is full of people trying to climb the corporate ladder, and these days there is generally a large proportion of people who have moved into London from the provinces - they are NOT Londoners and are not representative of what Londoners are really like. Generally these people adopt an attitude that they think is appropriate for London, ie, cold, unfriendly and abrasive. Infact, if you venture outside of the centre to the real London, you will find friendly people who are very much the same as those in the north.

I am currently in the process of looking for work, and am doing whatever I can to avoid working with fake people in central London. If it comes down to it, I will work there again, but my best jobs in the past have been working in London's suburbs with normal people!

Daleaholic
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 pm

Agreed, a silly statement from me but I was a little peeved when originally writing the thread and not thinking too clearly! The airport is classed as 'London Luton' though  Yeah sure

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 17):
Daleaholic mentioned something about London being horrible if you go outside of the centre.

I probably didn't make it very clear but I really meant to say that the places which I have visited, those being Brentford, Leyton, Luton and Dagenham are horrible places and my opinion on that still stands  Smile

I really don't understand why people are getting so offended by this, it's a think tank that's paid to come up with ideas etc no matter how silly they are and rightly this is being dismissed by everyone as compete lunacy. No need for anyone to start attacking the South or Southerners based on the opinions of a few numbnuts.

People are getting offended because the report is suggesting a better way of life can be had in the south. There's also the North/south divide, there always will be. Ask Northerners if they dislike southerners and I imagine quite a lot would say yes! Ask southerners if they dislike Northerners and I imagine quite a lot would say yes!

I think the fact that this 'thinktank' is supported by a political party (Conservatives) is why it has had such a big response. Hence why Mr. Cameron strongly criticised the report and distanced himself from it completely.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 7):

Hawd Yer Wheesht!

Scotty

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 18):
Hawd Yer Wheesht!

I think that's "haud" yer wheesht

BAViscount

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:33 am

Ask southerners if they dislike Northerners and I imagine quite a lot would say yes!

Goes without saying, especially if they claim to know London when they actually don't...and I have a few forum members in mind when I say that!! 

[Edited 2008-08-15 17:37:09]

planesarecool

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:47 am

The airport is classed as 'London Luton' though

Gatwick and Stansted are London airports aswell, but neither are in London. I'd say that more people would regard Luton as part of Lahore, not London.

that the places which I have visited, those being Brentford, Leyton, Luton and Dagenham are horrible places and my opinion on that still stands

I'd regard Moss Side as a horrible place as well. All cities have their bad areas.

Ask southerners if they dislike Northerners and I imagine quite a lot would say yes!

To be honest, I'd hardly call it dislike. If I meet a Northerner on holiday or wherever, we'll have a discussion usually including me taking the mick out of their accent, and them calling me a 'Southern softie.' It's no more than a bit of harmless banter.

I'd probably say that there's more dislike for 'Southerners' from 'Northerners' than the other way around, as represented by the constant bashing of BA on this forum for 'neglecting the regions'.

n229nw

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:13 am

Don't ever compare ANYWHERE with Slough...except maybe Chernobyl

Poor Slough..."Come friendly bombs" and all...

Funny, I recently read an article somewhere (can't remember where though) on how much the people in Slough love it there and see it as a great place...Don't know how much they were paid off to say that though...

In any case, being near LHR should earn it some points on A.net, no?

gkirk

Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:53 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 21):
I'd say that more people would regard Luton as part of Lahore, not London.

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Hawd Yer Wheesht!

Pick a windae!

Daleaholic
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:26 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 23):
Pick a windae!

Would you be meaning window*?

BNE

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:31 pm

When its worth more for the airport to call itself part of London; like when Ryanair decides to fly there.

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 20):
Goes without saying, especially if they claim to know London when they actually don't...and I have a few forum members in mind when I say that!!

You mean; someone who lives in the north like Alex you mean.  Silly

And no wonder so many are leaving the country to move to places like Canada and Australia.  Wink

BAViscount

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 25):
When its worth more for the airport to call itself part of London; like when Ryanair decides to fly there.

We don't mind having the airport, but we don't want the town!  Wink

Quoting BNE (Reply 25):
You mean; someone who lives in the north like Alex you mean.

I'm mentioning no names! Big grin

mainMAN

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:39 pm

Central London is full of people trying to climb the corporate ladder

Some of the most insecure pretentious tossers I've ever met inhabit Soho cafes in the early hours of the morning. Unfortunately, since Manchester's economic rise, the same tossers turn up here too, and they've usually moved here from lesser cities and towns.

Infact, if you venture outside of the centre to the real London, you will find friendly people who are very much the same as those in the north.

I worked in London a long, long time ago and I have to agree, normal working class Londoners are the friendliest and funniest people you'll meet anywhere. There's such a thing as an 'urban' sense of humour and outlook on life, which is identical in all big cities, I think.

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 21):
I'd regard Moss Side as a horrible place as well.

Moss Side is ok (I'd live there), Just like Toxteth, it got its unfair reputation from 1980s riots, but there are worse areas of both Manchester and Liverpool.

[Edited 2008-08-16 06:44:12]

Scotty

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 27):
Some of the most insecure pretentious tossers I've ever met inhabit Soho cafes in the early hours of the morning

Lots of them have moved to Edinburgh for three weeks in August as usual

mainMAN

Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Quoting Scotty (Reply 28):
Lots of them have moved to Edinburgh for three weeks in August as usual

Good, because I'm in London next week, so the coast is clear... Wink

UK_Dispatcher

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:27 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 7):
Apart from it's full of English folk

I don't think so. Well, not from what I've ever seen!

I would never live in London. I couldn't afford to for a start (property prices), but that aside I have never liked London - particularly central London. There are some areas around London which are nice enough (Teddington, as an example - I visit a friend there occasionally) but in general I am always happy to go back up North.

The example someone used earlier about the regeneration in Newcastle was a valid point. Newcastle is a great city and what has been done with the Quayside area in recent years is a testament to its change. If I had to choose a city to live in in the UK it would be Newcastle. I lived in Manchester for several years before moving abroad and really enjoyed that too. And in terms of quality of life, I actually think a better quality of life is available in the North too.

Boeing74741R

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 30):
I couldn't afford to for a start (property prices),

Also the cost of living in London is significantly higher than anywhere else in the country too.

As an aside, students planning on going to one of the many universities in London are entitled to a larger maintenance loan/grant than those who are going to non-London universities.

[email protected]

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:05 pm

Way too many people here have a chip on their shoulder about London and the south. The north isn't any better, it might be a bit cheaper but that's about it. Row upon row of council estates and depressing landscape, not to mention even worser weather, hardly paradise! This north/south rivalry is nonsense, never understood how or why it developed, and quite frankly, it's something we don't need, this country is way too fractious anyway.

Boeing74741R

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 32):
Row upon row of council estates and depressing landscape, not to mention even worser weather, hardly paradise!

Depends where you look. And let's face it, the south isn't exactly full of privately owned houses now is it?  Yeah sure

davehammer

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:00 pm

This north/south rivalry is nonsense, never understood how or why it developed, and quite frankly, it's something we don't need, this country is way too fractious anyway.

Wholly agree with you! Southerners are rude Northerners are friendly. Some are, some aren't. I like some places up North, I like some down South. Gotta admit I prefer to live down South but I wouldn't object to loving somewhere like Newcastle at some point.

IH8BY

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Row upon row of council estates and depressing landscape, not to mention even worser weather, hardly paradise!

Seems it works both ways. In fact, I'd say southerners take a worse view of the north than vice versa.

Depressing landscape? In some places yes, but what about places like the Yorkshire Dales? North York Moors? Pennines? Lake District? Durham Coast? Northumbrian Coastline?

There are grim places in north and south - maybe slightly more in the former because of industrial decline, but it's not the picture of doom and gloom I'd been led to expect before I went up there.

Daleaholic
Topic Author

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Aaah a stereotypical southerner statement. And lets be honest, If anybody has a depressing landscape, its you lot down south! We have the Lake district, the Yorkshire Dales, The Pennines... Lovely areas! You have Dagenham  rotfl 

davehammer

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 36):
Aaah a stereotypical southerner statement. And lets be honest, If anybody has a depressing landscape, its you lot down south! We have the Lake district, the Yorkshire Dales, The Pennines... Lovely areas! You have Dagenham

North Downs, South Downs, Dartmoor, Cornwall, Cotswolds, blah blah. And on the Dagenham front Unfortunately for you guys in the North, you still have Middlesbrough! That's far worse than Dagenham.

Tugger

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Ya know, when I first saw the thread title I thought it was talking about Scotland which is after all the true Northern UK.

And I had to agree that they are well beyond revival!  

But then I read the thread and it appears all you are discussing is Northern England. But then I am somewhat of a furi'ner so I might not understand the finery's of the situation.  

Tugg

[Edited 2008-08-17 15:12:07]

BAViscount

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:41 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 38):
But then I am somewhat of a furi'ner so I might not understand the finery's of the situation.

Pour yourself a glass of something nice and leave us Brits to fight it out amongst ourselves! No conclusion will ever be reached, but it'll be fun to watch, enjoy!!  goodvibes 

sean377

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:25 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 39):
Pour yourself a glass of something nice and leave us Brits to fight it out amongst ourselves! No conclusion will ever be reached, but it'll be fun to watch, enjoy!!

Andy, how you doing mate? Not spoke since LHR!

I've been watching this thread with much interest too!

As a native of Newcastle, it's good to see some favourable reports about it. But like all cities, Newcastle has it's share of deprived areas.

I would also argue that people are as equally friendly in the South as in the North. You can't tell me that Cockneys are not friendly! Similarly, my Dad lives in Kent and I never fail to strike up a conversation in the local pub, where the locals are only too pleased to chat.

I think the greater mix of tourists and ethnic cultures in London gives many people the perception that it's not a friendly place.

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 37):
Unfortunately for you guys in the North, you still have Middlesbrough!

I think you have just won the battle with that shot!

baroque

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:59 am

Quoting Sean377 (Reply 40):
Quoting Davehammer (Reply 37):
Unfortunately for you guys in the North, you still have Middlesbrough!

I think you have just won the battle with that shot!

C'orf it, Middlesborough is fine, Hartlepool is the weak spot.

sean377

Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:43 am

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 1):
I suspect the authors of the report may be viewing the potential of Oxford and Cambridge from the perspective of former students

Reminds me of the classic Blackadder scene:

Boeing74741R

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:38 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 41):
C'orf it, Middlesborough is fine, Hartlepool is the weak spot.

The entire area between Hartlepool and Middlesbrough is bad full stop.  duck 

Then again, it was a cloudy day when I was in the area. Maybe I should go back when sunny weather is forecast?

planesarecool

Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 33):
And let's face it, the south isn't exactly full of privately owned houses now is it?

It is where I live. You'll have to go a long way from where I live to find a council house. Furthermore, 23 of the 30 wealthiest towns in the UK are south of Birmingham.

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 36):
If anybody has a depressing landscape, its you lot down south! We have the Lake district, the Yorkshire Dales, The Pennines... Lovely areas!

Shame you have crap weather, and therefore can't enjoy them  Wink

sean377

Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 44):
Shame you have crap weather, and therefore can't enjoy them

This is the number one reason I would quit this country. Even the weather down South is shite. And it's only gonna get worse.