bristolflyer
Topic Author

My Dog Can Tell The Time!

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:08 pm

This aint a Friday stupid thread.

In the morning he starts whining for food at about 6am. So he may realize it's getting light and therefore that's when he normally eats.

But in the afternoon he knows (to within about 10 mins) when it's 4pm - he'll sit by me trying to get me to fiid him, or sit by his bowl - something he won't do at any other time. Today was a record - 4.02pm and he starts politiccing for food. Uncanny!
Fortune favours the brave

BAViscount

RE: My Dog Can Tell The Time!

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:57 pm

Is he a watchdog then?!?! Big grin
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

Cadet57

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Thread starter):

It's more that he knows when its feeding time. My cat does this. Nightly at 9 she expects food, even if shes outside roaming the yard, she comes to the side door to be let in for dinner.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

bristolflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:36 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 1):
Is he a watchdog then?!?!

Very droll!

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
It's more that he knows when its feeding time

Yeah, I'll accept that. Still impressive.
Fortune favours the brave

Cadet57

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:46 am

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 3):
Still impressive.

Agreed, I still get a kick out of it when my cat does it.

Moose135

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:49 am

Dogs are very much creatures of habit. Our old poodle knew when it was time for me to come home from work - starting around 6pm, when she heard a car door slam, she would head for the back door - our driveway was right next to the neighbors, but she didn't do that until it was time for me to come home. Right around 10pm, she would stand at the foot of the stairs, looking at us then up the stairs, waiting for us to go up to bed. Daylight saving time really messed her up - for the first few days, she would be sitting there at 9pm...
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

MaidensGator

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:53 am

My dog, Spice, can tell time. She used to wake me at 6 am, winter and summer, so I know it wasn't the light. I think it was a clock in the living room that chimes the hour. When I started going to work later, it took me forever to teach her to sleep in for a while... And Spice has food in her dish all the time, so I know it's not feeding time. My wife says at 4:30 every afternnoon, Spice goes to the door and waits for me to come home at 5:00. If I'm late for some reason, Spice gets all worked up until I get home. Some dogs are incredibly smart.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:22 am

My old dog Smokey used to wake me up at 6AM by kissing me. At 5PM (in high school 330PM), the time I would arrive at my bus stop, he would be waiting there. For some reason, he would know how to get out of his harness and greet me. During the summer Smokey would wake me up at 9AM.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

bok269

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:18 am

My grandmother visits us every Friday. As all good grandmothers do, she spoils my dog to no end. Given the rhythmic nature of her visits, my dog knows on what days my grandmother is supposed to come.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:30 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 8):
As all good grandmothers do, she spoils my dog to no end. Given the rhythmic nature of her visits, my dog knows on what days my grandmother is supposed to come.

Smokey was the same except they gave him Salmon and he would smell like fish for a day.

Hunter

stratosphere

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:57 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
It's more that he knows when its feeding time. My cat does this.

As does mine..She will jump up and down on me in the morning telling me it's time to get the hell up and open up a can of food even though both my cats have dry food also..But they are spoiled..

Cadet57

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 10):
even though both my cats have dry food also..

Same here she has a bowl of dry food she eats all day but at 9 she has to have her wet food...

Beaucaire

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:22 pm

I know people will think it's stupid but many animals have a capability to communicate with their close relations by telepathy.I'm not talking about feeding-on time matters or behaviour tied to accustomed habits -i'm talking about out of routine behaviour tied to non-verbal communication,adressing specific situations.
Example - we travelled for seven days to Italy,leaving out two cats at home under the supervision of our neighbours,who love animals the way we do love animals..
The day we returned home,the lady-neighbour saw our two cats sitting and waiting just inside the gate that openes the property just about two hours before we arrived.The cats would not move away and were waiting for us to arrive-though the previous days they didi not wait there at this particular hour.THey indicated by their body-language and behaviour they knew we were arriving.
Same things happens with our dog who anticipates our return to home at irregular intervals-so not tied to specific timed interventions like feeding or taking her out for a walk.
I'm in a sad mood-the dog will feel it and cometo re-comfort me. I'm thinking to taker her for an unexpected walk-she senses it and comes with her tail waggling like crazy even before i pronounce any word.
Animals are much more intuitive than many think-outside of all feeding patterns..
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:52 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 12):
I know people will think it's stupid but many animals have a capability to communicate with their close relations by telepathy.

I agree with you 100%. When my mom died, Smokey was at my side 24/7 for 5 days. Whenever I said talked he would sit in my lap and look at me as if he understood me. When I went out of state for a couple months in 8th grade, he slept in my bed and refused to go nowhere else. When I came home, he saw the changes in me and adapted quickly to them.

My old dog smokey:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/Kingfaulisi/smokey.jpg

Hunter

SlamClick

Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:34 pm

It is belly time on feeding, bladder time for wanting to get up, and sun time for the rest of it - even two hours before or after sunrise since dogs have better low-light vision than we do.

We had a dog that hated the sawmill whistle. He'd start howling about five minutes before it blew at five in the afternoon. Only thing is, he didn't get daylight savings time (maybe he was from Arizona) so in the summer he'd get caught unawares and would get confused to the point that sometimes howl for half an hour before it blew.

Our 24-hour expression of time is utterly arbitrary and there is no way dogs could comprehend it, smart as they are. There actually IS NO sigificance to any hour on the clock but human thinking makes it so.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.