Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Anyone Watch Ice Road Truckers?

Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:13 am

If you have been keeping up you will see Kurt Wainman contradicted himself in hiring southerners. well I sent him an e-mail asking why. My fellow friends asked me to do so and I decided to do that as things weren't making sense.

For those not keeping up, I would watch the previous episodes and you'll see where he did that. If you would like to view my letter please let me know and I will post the letter.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

davestanKSAN

RE: Anyone Watch Ice Road Truckers?

Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:52 am

Ya dude, this show is awesome. Any update on Alex? I think I missed the past couple episodes. I wonder if they got him in contact with Phil from the Deadliest Catch, as they both had the same problem. While I'm at it, any update on him as well? Scary thing to happen to both guys, I hope they're pulling through okay.

Would you ever consider doing this job Hunter? Or are you a pavement type of guy  Wink?

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:36 am

Dave,

I would not do this job because of three reasons;

I am not a Canadian and do not have a green card

I am not a truck driver

I would be scared crapless

Hunter

ShyFlyer

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:43 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 1):
Any update on Alex?

Out for the season. Blood clot in one lung I think.
I lift things up and put them down.

af773atmsp

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:45 am

I used to watch it sometimes. Now I don't anymore.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

davestanKSAN

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:20 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 2):

Lol, fair enough. Those are good reasons I think.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 3):

Such a shame. Well, thank God he's okay. I hope he makes a full recovery. He seems like a class act, a real nice guy, with a great work ethic. I enjoy his camaraderie with Hugh. Here's hoping he gets back out on the ice next season, with a clean bill of health.  pray 

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

A346Dude

Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:35 am

I watched the first season, great show. Is there a 2nd?
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

ltbewr

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:28 pm

To me, the 2nd season isn't as good as the 1st. Too many soap opara elements.
Yes, they had to change venues due to issues from the road/truck operators as to the publicity. I also have to wonder if the diamond mine operators didn't want the attention either. That the 2nd season is in a location where they are looking for oil and natural gas, nor far from the Alaskan 'north slope' deposits that some want to exploit, may not be a coincidence. Indeed, the producers may have intentionally picked this venue to help the oil/nat gas industry. I suspect the featured drivers are paid a handsome bonus to appear, perhaps enough for them to help pay for bills, buy a better truck back home and so on.
As to Alex, one question I have is how is a person with a bad heart pass the physical to drive a truck in Canada? Several weeks ago, there were news stories in the USA of too many commercial truck and bus drivers who shouldn't as got phony physicals despite serious health issues that could put the public at danger.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:36 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 3):

You are correct sir. If you watched Deadliest Catch, you will see Phil Harris suffered the same fate aboard the Cornelia Marie while he was out fishing for Opilio crab. Luckily Alex was within reach of medical help.

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 6):

Yes there is a second season with only 3 episodes left. Sundays at 9PM.

Hunter

bok269

Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
To me, the 2nd season isn't as good as the 1st. Too many soap opara elements.

It also seems very repetitive this season. Every episode contains the following elements:

Eric delivers some crucial peace of mining equipment

Rick and/or Bill break something/experience a Breakdown

The Mechanics bitch about the drivers breaking something

Drew fucks something up

Hugh hauls the Vac truck criticizing else along the way

Some safety incident is overblown and overdramatized

There is a retrospective about past incidents following one of the above themes
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:11 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 9):

Drew fucks something up

You have to give it to drew for messing up this truck. In the episode prior to last he made a good recovery.

Hunter

dragon-wings

Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Rick complains WAY to much! He has complained about the garbage loads he had to haul, he has been complaining about the latest truck he is in, he complained about the mechanic not fixing his truck fast enough, and he has been complaining about not bein able to ge see a doctor about his back. (And on his day off instead of going to a doctor he went drinking)

I would of fired him already!
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

NIKV69

Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:26 am

I watch and enjoy it, it does take some courage to do that in those extreme conditions. I love Drew he is such an idiot and does the stupidest stuff.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

huskyaviation

Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:34 am

The people, personalities and work aren't nearly as interesting as Deadliest Catch. It's like the lite version of the latter.

austinairport

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:31 am

Watching It Now. Love It.

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 1):
Any update on Alex?

Yeah? Why Did They Quit following his condition? I Wish They would Do kinda like a tribute or something. I mean he was an ice road legend. Dang. Disapointing.  Sad
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

L-188

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:42 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 8):
You are correct sir. If you watched Deadliest Catch, you will see Phil Harris suffered the same fate aboard the Cornelia Marie while he was out fishing for Opilio crab. Luckily Alex was within reach of medical help.

Discovery Channel curse? I believe both shows are out of the same production company

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 11):
and he has been complaining about not bein able to ge see a doctor about his back. (And on his day off instead of going to a doctor he went drinking)

That's called self-medicating and sometimes it works! and is cheaper then the doc to boot.

But with Canadian beer I doubt it would have worked.

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 14):
Why Did They Quit following his condition? I Wish They would Do kinda like a tribute or something. I mean he was an ice road legend

I am sure he will be back either for the final episode or when they do that "Reunion" show. I have no doubt they will do it this year again too.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:21 am

My letter to Kurt Wainman of Northwind Industry

Dear Mr. Wainman,

I have some questions regarding the responses I have heard on Ice Road Truckers. My first question is why did you say the Southerners coming to haul dirt do not belong on this ice road when you had Hugh working for you. Isn't he considered Southerner when he lives in British Columbia? Couldn't you have hired someone local to do his job? Also you say hire Southerners on your website yet you contradicted yourself by saying they do not belong here. I have all the respect for what guys do but wonder why made those remarks.

My second question is why did you allow the tv producers to film North Wind industries. Were you offered any money for hiring Hugh Rowland by the History channel for publicity reasons. I ask as a couple truckers on networking site thinks you hired him for those reasons i mentioned above. If you are wanting to view the forum, please click on the link below.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tru...oad-truckers-may-get-boost-21.html

In conclusion, I hope I have not taken too much of your time but would like these questions answered. I am not trying to to be rude in any form but am curious. In all, I am in awe that you do the work you do. I never would do it myself , so kudos to you and your crew. Keep up the good work.

Hunter Faulisi
Melbourne, FL

Revelation

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 14):
Yeah? Why Did They Quit following his condition? I Wish They would Do kinda like a tribute or something. I mean he was an ice road legend. Dang. Disapointing.

I really laughed when he asked the other trucker (Hugh?) to go into the store and bring him back hemorrhiod creme and girlie magazines!  Smile

Another Catholic falling short of the mark, sigh...

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 11):
Rick complains WAY to much! He has complained about the garbage loads he had to haul, he has been complaining about the latest truck he is in, he complained about the mechanic not fixing his truck fast enough, and he has been complaining about not bein able to ge see a doctor about his back. (And on his day off instead of going to a doctor he went drinking)

I would of fired him already!

checkmark 

Shit attitude about everything, beats the shit out of the equipment. He'd be gone in a second in my little world.

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 13):
The people, personalities and work aren't nearly as interesting as Deadliest Catch. It's like the lite version of the latter.

I have to admit liking all these shows, also Axe Men and Black Gold. Of all of them, I'd have to say Ice Road Truckers seems to be the weakest of the lot. There's only so much you can do with trucks going back and forth, frozen river or not. Now if someone was falling through every week or two, that'd hold my attention better.

I think a show that followed around racing teams on one of the circuits (NASCAR, F1, etc) would be really interesting if done right.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

L-188

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:58 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):
I really laughed when he asked the other trucker (Hugh?) to go into the store and bring him back hemorrhiod creme and girlie magazines!

Actually he asked for "Mens" magazines.

Which I translate to "Outdoor Life", "Popular Mechanics" and "The Economist"

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 16):
My first question is why did you say the Southerners coming to haul dirt do not belong on this ice road when you had Hugh working for you. Isn't he considered Southerner when he lives in British Columbia? Couldn't you have hired someone local to do his job? Also you say hire Southerners on your website yet you contradicted yourself by saying they do not belong here. I have all the respect for what guys do but wonder why made those remarks.

MCOFlyer, your going to hate me for saying this but I agree with a lot of what he said. Up here we have places where the unemployement is running 15-20%. But when you go to the fishing industry a hell of a lot of those guys are from Seattle, The lodges are fully of college kids from the south and the locals aren't getting those jobs.

There is a reason we still have people running around with bumper stickers that read, "Happiness is a Texan headed south with an Okie under each arm". Lot of people from those two states still work in the oil patch up here.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:13 pm

L188, Hugh is southerner and he hired him. Why did he make that remark when he hired Hugh?

Hunter

ACDC8

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:15 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 19):
Hugh is southerner and he hired him

Since I don't watch the show I don't know how long Hugh has been working for this particular company, but from what I've read online Hugh has over 20 years of ice trucking in the NWT, living in Kelowna is completely irrelevant to his or anyone's abilities. So I would think his experience outweighs his preference for living in one of Canada's fastest growing cities during his time off. I can also assure you that we down here (in the Kelowna area) get some very extreme winter driving conditions, not to mention all the logging outfits that drive in the back country and mountains during the winter months. Just as dangerous and risky as driving over frozen lakes.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 19):
Why did he make that remark when he hired Hugh

I would think it would be safe to say that he said this just to make things a bit more dramatic for the TV audience.

What they say on camera can't be taken seriously all the time, businesses are run completely different on TV then they are in real life.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:38 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):

What they say on camera can't be taken seriously all the time, businesses are run completely different on TV then they are in real life.

Very true, thanks for bringing up that point.

Hunter

ACDC8

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:51 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 21):
Very true, thanks for bringing up that point.

You also have to understand that Canada is very different then the US. The "south" here is very different then the "south" in the US as is a "southerner" from Canada or one from the US.

I live about 140 miles north of the US border (about 30 miles north of Kelowna where Hugh lives) so I guess I would be considered a "southerner". But as I mentioned in my first post, our winter driving conditions can be long and extreme, so we're no strangers to driving on ice and snow. Although we don't have any roads over frozen lakes, its not uncommon for people to drive over lakes out in the bush to get to their favourite snowmobiling or ice fishing spots.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

austinairport

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:41 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):
I really laughed when he asked the other trucker (Hugh?) to go into the store and bring him back hemorrhiod creme and girlie magazines! Smile

LOL. That was funny. Honestly to me. He seems like the last person to need some "men's magazines." Not a gay joke, he just seems more pure and christian than that.  Big grin

And yeah, it was Hugh.
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!