Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

baroque

RE: F1 2008: European GP

Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:34 am

When the most interesting thing is Kimi's Ferarri blowing an engine, BORING seems a fair description?

Euclid

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:21 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 47):
Because Sutil would be (and was) blue-flagged IMMEDIATELY upon entering the circuit. Sutil couldn't keep Massa behind him unless he carried a pistol.

Yes sir, I agree with you completely, and Sutil did not make it difficult for him to pass once out on the racetrack. What I did, however, understand from Massa's remark during the post race interview, was that he expected Sutil to give way to him in the pit lane. If he really expects that, he can go blow homself as far as I'm concerned.

MadameConcorde

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:57 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 49):
Autosport reported that Hamilton was really ill all weekend...even today during the race...for him to maintain focus and still maintain 2nd...pretty solid.

I had absolutely no idea that he was unwell during the race. He certainly did not show it, not even during the press conference after the race. He talked about his race wtth a happy smile on his face as usual.
He is a vvery courageous boy. I thought he did second in "normal" condition, I had no idea that was ill. He was so consistent all through the race like if nothing was wrong with him at all. What a good person he is!
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

scrubbsywg

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:18 am

those saying ferrari will be asked that they look into their driver's let out system and that they should be sanctioned are nuts IMO. Ferrari have been using this system since late last year, i believe, and this is the first race where we have had a problem. People also act like this kind of stuff never happened with a lolipop man, which it has many times and we all know it.

Fact of the matter is, the system, as ferrari adamantly said when asked about their system is NOT automated. Basically, each pit man has has a button he presses when his operation is finished, and if all those are pressed AND the chief mechanic is not overriding the green, the green light goes and driver goes. This is the SAME as the lollipop man, except it removes error in the lollipop man himself determining all operations are done. Of course, this new system with the lights, and the lollipop man system, dont work when A)the driver goes before he is 'let out'(al la kimi in valencia. He wasn't supposed to go, but went and the fuel rig wasn't removed yet) or B) when the person looking down the put lane lets the car go when they shouldn't (which looks like what happened to massa. Ferrari can claim it worked like it was supposed to, but someone should have maybe had the override button down for that one, just like a lollipop man could have or couldn't have let him go).

People are acting like these incidents have never happened with a lollipop man.

bill142

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:32 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 53):

People are acting like these incidents have never happened with a lollipop man.

scrubbsywg

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:50 am

some more examples:

scbriml

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 49):
But being the Hamilton Fan I am...I'm pretty impressed....Autosport reported that Hamilton was really ill all weekend...even today during the race...for him to maintain focus and still maintain 2nd...pretty solid.

He did mention in an interview that he was very close to deciding not to race he felt so ill. After the race he looked very "subdued". At the time, I put this down to his apparent inability to do anything about Massa in front of him.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

B747forever
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 56):
He did mention in an interview that he was very close to deciding not to race he felt so ill.

Wow, if it was so serious then he did a good work Hamilton.
Work Hard, Fly Right
1052 flights/294 airports/180 airlines

codeshare

Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 pm

That Valencia circuit is one dirty track.

A good drive from Massa, no nerves from him, maybe that pit exit  Wink , solid drives from Lewis, Kubica and Kova. Bad luck Kimi. DC again had contact with another car.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

paulc

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:04 am

Is there a green pit exit light which Kimi could have seen and thought it was the 'go' light. ?

Had a similar case at work where lights in the distance lined up with other lights and did cause a couple of potentially serious incidents.
English First, British Second, european Never!

bill142

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:50 am

Quoting Paulc (Reply 59):
Is there a green pit exit light which Kimi could have seen and thought it was the 'go' light. ?

No at the end of the pitlane is a flashing blue light. An F1 driver would also be trained to obey the lollypop and not any other flashing lights that may be around the car.

B747forever
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Quoting Codeshare (Reply 58):
That Valencia circuit is one dirty track.

Yeah, the pitlane was absolutely dirty.
Work Hard, Fly Right
1052 flights/294 airports/180 airlines

scrubbsywg

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 60):
No at the end of the pitlane is a flashing blue light. An F1 driver would also be trained to obey the lollypop and not any other flashing lights that may be around the car.

Actually, I believe i saw a video where there was a flashing green(or at least it looked green) that may have been in kimi's field of view. Some of the other boards i read were thinking the same thing. Kimi saw a light go on and he reacted by going.

Besides, there is NO lollipop in the ferrari pits. Ferrari uses flashing lights to signal when it is ok for the drivers to go. It is conceivable that kimi was so keen on getting away that any light he saw would cause him to go. I am at work and no access to youtube, but there is a video showing a light beginning to flash at the end of the pits(i can't remember if its green or not) when kimi is awaiting his green light on their signaling machine.

SlamClick

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 53):
Basically, each pit man has has a button he presses when his operation is finished, and if all those are pressed AND the chief mechanic is not overriding the green, the green light goes and driver goes.

The premise sounds good but perhaps the system should lock/release the brakes besides making a lightbulb illuminate. That way the driver would have a disincentive - in the form of a stalled engine - to leaving early.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

bill142

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:47 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 62):

I do believe you are correct and stand corrected. I totally forget about that at Ferrari.

scrubbsywg

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:26 am

here is a video of the pit stop. At about 1 minute in, there is the in car footage. You can plainly see that Kimi jumped the gun(as there is a third light on the right of the rig that didn't go on). If you look closely, you can also see a blinking light at the end of the pit lane. Now, it really isn't an excuse, and the video is from the camera above the air inlet, so who knows what kimi could see in the car, but it is a theory i guess.

Stealthz

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 47):
I am a tifosoid, been a Ferrari fan since Phil Hill, Richie Ginther and Taffy von Trips were their drivers.

I was as well, there was just something that changed during the Todt, Brawn, Schumaker era that drove me away!

And on the subject of the greats of the past it is with sadness I note the passing today, 28 August 2008 of Phil Hill,

http://www.formula1.com/teams_and_drivers/hall_of_fame/493/

Regards

[Edited 2008-08-28 13:45:40]
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

BlueElephant

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:44 pm

tifosoid???
What is this supposed to mean?

scrubbsywg

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:44 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 66):
I note the passing today, 28 Augusr 2008 of Phil Hill,

wow! none of the regular F1 sites even have the news yet.

RIP