KAUST
Topic Author

Anyone Familiar With The Keweenaw Peninsula Of MI?

Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:50 am

So, I'd been for well over a year and a half now contemplating moving to the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan, to attend Finlandia University. It is a very tiny Finnish Lutheran university, located in Hancock, just across the water from Houghton.

I hear that the snows there can pile to well over 10 feet. Being an Austinite, I did not have a terribly large amount of experience in so much snow.

Part of what is keeping me here is, I have a terrible separation anxiety. And this particular school is in what an uncle of mine calls "The North Pole."

For the record, my major would be Religion/Philosophy, with a minor in Music and Theater.

So, are any of ya familiar this particular location? Familiar with the university? Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

[Edited 2008-08-18 19:52:37]
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

MUWarriors

RE: Anyone Familiar With The Keweenaw Peninsula Of MI?

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 pm

I had friends who went to Michigan Tech, on the other side of the canal. I won't lie, I had no idea there was a school in Hancock. Anyway, it's an isolated and small area up there. It snows a ton, and it can stick around until May with some frequency. The landscape is beautiful, and because Michigan Tech is there, you do get some benefits that you wouldn't normally recieve in a town that small. However, keep in mind you will be isolated. NW* flies to MSP from there 3 times a day. Getting up there can be tricky, if you want to drive, as (guessing you head up from TX) you will lose freeways in Green Bay, and travel through a lot of little towns on a 2 lane road for quite some distance. It's a cool area, but I don't know if I would be able to live up there.

johns624

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:25 am

If you like the outdoors, it's beautiful. There's plenty of hunting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, kayaking, snowshoeing and skiing right out your front door. Houghton has a beautiful downtown with 3-4 floor old red sandstone block buildings. Isle Royale NP is a boat ride away. The Jam Pot has the best jam, brownies and sugar cookies in the world. It's in Eagle River. Brockway Mountain Drive up to Copper Harbor is beautiful in the autumn. Porcupine Mtns State Park to the west has the best backpacking (arguably) in the Midwest.

AirCop

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:37 am

Keweenaw Snow Report
2007-2008 Snowfall To Date May 19, 2008 - 282.7"

I was a California boy born and bred, and I went to school in Marquette, if I could handle it so can you..actually the snow can be fun. What I know about Finlandia University, it used to be a two year school, and whenever I see the school on Northern's basketball schedule, I chalk up a win for the good guys.  angel 

LHboyatDTW

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:07 am

My cousin went to Michigan Tech. He has pictures of his apartment building and the snowfall. Needless to say I was quite impressed.

In addition, he got married there a few years ago. I was there for the wedding and found the place quite charming. My grandparents said it reminded them of Scandinavia quite a bit. May be a coincidence, but I digress.

I flew into the airport there. It's quite tiny as you can imagine, but seeing that it is at least an 8 hour drive from DTW (don't know about MSP or any place like that though) be glad you have the option of flying there.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.