Dougloid
Topic Author

Woman Shoplifter Smashed In Trash Compactor

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:03 pm

It seems that two women in Lansing, Michigan (one of whom was the late Tyree Monique Tate) decided to cap off an afternoon of boosting merch by a trip to the local TJ Maxx, where they treated a security man to some pepper spray for having the impertinence to suggest that they should pay for things they want, rather than stealing them.

Making a hasty exit from the premises, the duo repaired to the premises of a nearby Goodwill industries store to conceal themselves, and apparently the decedent Tyree Monique Tate hid out in the compactor and became TyrMonqTat when someone threw the switch.

Apologists would likely suggest that the machine did exactly what it was designed for.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/08/...compactor_dies/UPI-85451219191626/
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

slider

RE: Woman Shoplifter Smashed In Trash Compactor

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Darwin Award nominee it would seem.

MaidensGator

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Thread starter):
Apologists would likely suggest that the machine did exactly what it was designed for.

Crush trash, right???  laughing 

I nominate TyrMonqTa for a Darwin...
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

johns624

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:12 pm

Will anyone second my nomination for a Darwin Award? It must be a Michigan thing. The same thing happened a few years ago in Highland Park, a rundown suburb of Detroit. In that case, they were actually stealing from the Salvation Army store where they were crushed. That's really bad when you shoplift from a non-profit...

radarbeam

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Tyree Monique Tate hid out in the compactor and became TyrMonqTat when someone threw the switch

Haha good one Big grin

RobertNL070

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:22 pm

Darwin 1 : 0 Shoplifter

champagne   champagne   champagne 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

AirCop

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:16 pm

I love it, instant justice.

Kunoichi

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 pm

So... she was shoplifting, sprayed a security guard and was stupid/desperate enough to hide in a trashcompactor, so she deserved to die? I can understand if she just committed murder or something similar, but stealing clothes? Come on, what are we? Cave men..?
Keep in mind that she didn't even die instantly - she was retrieved from the compactor and lived until she came to the hospital. That's several minutes of severe pain...

Quoting AirCop (Reply 6):
I love it, instant justice.

I reckon "justice" would've been that she was caught and served her time in jail, not being crushed and taking several minutes to die...  Sad
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

Dougloid
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 7):
So... she was shoplifting, sprayed a security guard and was stupid/desperate enough to hide in a trashcompactor, so she deserved to die? I can understand if she just committed murder or something similar, but stealing clothes? Come on, what are we? Cave men..?

I wouldn't say she deserved it, but in the states we are generally of the opinion that if you make your bed you will get to lie in it, no matter how bad it hurts.

Back when I was a kid, and I brought home some horrible mess, my father would look up from his newspaper, look over the top of his wire rimmed glasses and say "Well, you bought it, now fix it." And he'd go back to the Newark Evening News.

That taught me self reliance and it also taught me not to essay to possess things that I did not have a right to, for bad things would befall me.

ronglimeng

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks Kunoichi.

I read the opening thread, and then scrolled down through the replies waiting to read something with a dose of humanity in. It didn't come until Reply 7.

Nobody deserves to die for shoplifting.

LTU932

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:29 pm

I don't want to sound crude or anything, but I do second the nomination of this woman for the Darwin Award, for two reasons:

1. This incident clearly proves Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
2. Also a proof of the existence of Karma. Do something bad, and it will one day bite you in the ass (no pun intended). Hence the saying: "Karma's a bitch, isn't it?"

I'm not saying she deserved to die (plus, this was an accident anyway), but if she didn't shoplift in the first place, she would have never been stupid enough to climb into a compactor. I mean, you should be able to recognise one, shouldn't you? This accident was the result of an act of stupidity, no more, no less. The shoplifting was just part of the actual stupidity.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Superfly

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:34 pm

Kunoichi:
Well said!
One has to be a sick S.O.B. to gloat over the death of someone that made a bad minor mistake.
Bring back the Concorde

LTU932

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:38 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
One has to be a sick S.O.B. to gloat over the death of someone that made a bad minor mistake.

Bad minor mistake? That's a huge and fatal mistake, for which there's absolutely no excuse, especially since the outcome is fatal.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

airportugal310

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Ya being hit by car or something as she was running from the store is one thing to laugh at, i suppose, but being laughing at someone killed for something as lame as stealing clothes or other crap is a little over the top. Just a wee bit
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Superfly

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:47 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 12):
Bad minor mistake?

Stealing is what I was talking about. Being a shotlifter is a bad mistake. t's minor in the grand scheme of things but still, the wrong thing to do.
Bring back the Concorde

trvyyz

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:33 am

What if somebody turned on the switch seeing that she hid there?

jcs17

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:21 am

That's a heartwarming story. People who do shoplift mostly do so compulsively costing retailers hundreds of millions of dollars per year, who pass their loss on to consumers. And no, it's not a disease or an addiction, it's about being a selfish, lazy, immoral piece of shit. A couple of days ago I was at a QuikTrip and I saw a homeless guy jack a 40 by wrapping it in a free newspaper. I honestly hope he gets run over by a truck. Why does it bother my easy going tendencies so much? I really don't know aside from the fact that it's really just a case of basic morality.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

iairallie

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:45 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 15):

Then they should be prosecuted for murder.

This is stupid question. This was an accident pure and simple.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

trvyyz

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:52 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 17):
This is stupid question. This was an accident pure and simple.

Were you there when it happened?

StarAC17

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:03 am

So... she was shoplifting, sprayed a security guard and was stupid/desperate enough to hide in a trashcompactor, so she deserved to die?

A Darwin award doesn't mean you deserve to die, it means you die in a stupid manner that counters common sense, street Racing comes to mind. While it is insensitive in a way its just a satrical thing. That is what most of the posts above yours was refering to except for reply 6 which was insensitive but I beleive was sarcastic.

No one so far has said the good riddance the bitch got what she had coming

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 15):

Murder 2 most likely.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

iairallie

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:34 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 18):
Were you there when it happened?

No but common sense dictates that it was an accident.
A) if there was anything suspicious about it they would have mentioned it in the article as it would have made it even more sensational.
B) Why would a total stranger crush a total stranger in a trash compactor on purpose?

Elite

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):
"Karma's a bitch, isn't it?"

A huge bitch for being crushed alive in a trash compactor for pepper spraying a guard and stealing something.

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 21):
A huge bitch for being crushed alive in a trash compactor for pepper spraying a guard and stealing something.

Which makes it a bit more than a mere theft of no account.

If people essay to take things that do not belong to them on the mistaken apprehension that they're entitled-or maybe they just don't give a rat's ass for the rules the rest of us live by, and then, in buggering off and running from the law get themselves into a predicament that there's no way out of, they've brought it on themselves-all of it, every last scrunch of the hydraulic ram.

Remember Bob Dylan's maxim: If you live outside the law you must be honest.

trvyyz

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 20):

I agree. I was only being hypothetical.

iairallie

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:41 pm

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 23):
I agree. I was only being hypothetical.

Well it was a stupid and inflamatory hypothetical with an obvious answer.

AirCop

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:53 pm

So... she was shoplifting, sprayed a security guard and was stupid/desperate enough to hide in a trashcompactor, so she deserved to die?

No one stated anything along that line. She's dead by her own actions, so one can laugh about it. No one here knows the person, it's not like it a great loss to us personally. Heck, sometimes at a bad scene officers who make jokes about the deceased (if it was the "bad" guy/gal) to break the tension. Relax, we were just joking..

baroque

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:57 pm

Not April, so I s'pose we have to take it seriously. I did manage to work out when in the US that shopping centres were a bit different!

I suppose there are quite a few other systems that can be similarly fatal if misused. Presumably there is a health and safety organization - their report will be interesting. Would I be wrong to assume stealing and using a pepper spray does not shake off the bulldogs of OH&S??

If this happens near a Goodwill store, what happens near Target?

trvyyz

Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 24):
Well it was a stupid and inflamatory hypothetical with an obvious answer.

Only you seemed to have a problem with it. I don't know who is being stupid here  Wink

UltimateDelta

Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:21 pm

This is absolutely beyond stupid (on the woman's part). And she didn't necissarily deserve to die, but I can't help but think that it serves her right for being so arrogant as to think that she shouldn't have to pay for the stuff like the rest of us.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

Kunoichi

Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:30 pm

I really don't know - darwinism means "the weakest dies, the strongest survives" - in this case, she's obviously considered the weak/stupid, so to refer to it as darwinism must basically mean that she's SUPPOSED to die? People sure doesn't make it sound like they're the least bit sorry for her or those close to her that she did...

Quoting AirCop (Reply 25):
so one can laugh about it. No one here knows the person, it's not like it a great loss to us personally.

I know you're just joking and no one here is truly and honestly an awful person - but I still found some of the remarks a bit... over the top. And not ONE of them (till mine came up) showed any kind of compassion. I was just trying to remind people that this was a person...

One can laugh - but one can also choose to say "I feel sorry for her and her family". Personally, I'd feel rather bad if it turns out she has children who're now left without a mother.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 25):
Heck, sometimes at a bad scene officers who make jokes about the deceased (if it was the "bad" guy/gal) to break the tension. Relax, we were just joking..

Agreed - but if ALL the cops did it and nobody did anything but crack jokes, it'd be kind of sad.
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

alberchico

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:03 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 16):
, it's about being a selfish, lazy, immoral piece of shit

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 19):
good riddance the bitch

Quoting Elite (Reply 21):
A huge bitch for being crushed

Jesus Christ watch the language guys  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

You could all get banned !!!
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Dreadnought

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:47 am

Quoting Johns624 (Reply 3):
Will anyone second my nomination for a Darwin Award?

We first have to find out if she had any kids. The whole point of the Darwin Awards is stupid people improving the human race by removing themselves from the gene pool. If she's already had kids, its too late.

Smile
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

johns624

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:49 am

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 29):
And not ONE of them (till mine came up) showed any kind of compassion

Don't sprain your arm patting yourself on the back...
Everyone is acting like she was given a death sentence for shoplifting...she wasn't! She did it to herself. Nobody ever said criminals were smart!

dl021

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:51 am

I don't think that she deserved to die for shoplifting. She deserved to die because she was stupid enough to hide in a trashcompacter. You'd have to be an idiot to hide out in one.

Was she retarded (or whatever the politically correct description of the condition of mental retardation is these days)? If so then why wasn't her guardian looking out for her?

She stole, hurt people in the process and then caused more pain by hiding out in a trash compacter where the operator now has a totally unintended death on his/her hands, and some poor bystander has to deal with finding the near-dead woman.

I'm not cheering that she's dead...but I'm not wasting any emotion feeling sorry for her.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Dreadnought

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:51 am

so to refer to it as darwinism must basically mean that she's SUPPOSED to die?

No, just that she improves the breed by taking herself out of it. Consider it perhaps the only decent thing she ever did.

Dreadnought

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:54 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 33):
or whatever the politically correct description of the condition of mental retardation is these days

We call it Liberalism.

Big grin

Sorry, I could not help myself. I'll stop now. Really.  Wink

Dougloid
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:09 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):
Sorry, I could not help myself. I'll stop now. Really.

No you won't.

Wink

A332

Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:33 pm

I'm not cheering that she's dead...but I'm not wasting any emotion feeling sorry for her.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Certainly a tragic way for a life to end, all due to a situation that was completely avoidable.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

StarAC17

Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 30):

Jesus Christ watch the language guys Wow! Wow! Wow!

You could all get banned !!!

Read my post and look at the context that statement was used in and you will see that its not offensive.

I think this woman's death is an accident, but in a way a stupid one. Not a deserved one!
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

QFA380

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:53 pm

I really don't know - darwinism means "the weakest dies, the strongest survives" - in this case, she's obviously considered the weak/stupid, so to refer to it as darwinism must basically mean that she's SUPPOSED to die? People sure doesn't make it sound like they're the least bit sorry for her or those close to her that she did...

The Darwin Award(s) are not a true reflection of Darwinism, someone has taken basic Darwinian principles, skewed them significantly and has made it part of popular culture. Darwinism would say we shouldn't care about anything, nothing at all. Shit happens is the easiest way to describe Darwinism. The Darwin Awards were created by someone to make the rest of us feel intelligent because none of us would ever do that stuff! So Shit happens to stupid people basically, then you come around to all of us are stupid so we should all have Darwin Awards (or nominated, being the term given to people you could/should have died but didn't).

The Darwin Awards are an example of human nature at its worst, people knocking other people who have made errors and have paid the price. Then those who appear in the publications who haven't died. It must be the worst feeling, they had a headache and weren't thinking straight, next month they appear in 'World's Stupidest People'.

Not to mention that the Darwin Awards are running out of people, so they dig up things that could happen to anyone.

Does this woman deserve a Darwin Award? No one does, not even the guy who strapped a JATO to his car...

Read up on some recent nominees and 'winners'. http://www.darwinawards.com/

The top story, a man who deserves a Darwin Award for not knowing how to use a GPS!

Superfly

Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:34 am

She stole, hurt people in the process and then caused more pain by hiding out in a trash compacter where the operator now has a totally unintended death on his/her hands, and some poor bystander has to deal with finding the near-dead woman.

Never said she was a saint.
I am just calling out the low-life folks around here cheering on her death.
Bring back the Concorde