Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OPNLguy
Topic Author

PETA Makes Proposal To DFW Airport

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:37 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

LoneStarMike

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:44 am

Hey, if the bathroom stall ads work well, why not go a step further and attach billboards to all those oil wells pumping Black Gold & Texas Tea out at DFW?  Big grin

LoneStarMike

thegreatchecko

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:49 am

Oops...they posted her phone number.  stirthepot 

I have a feeling the people at the airport authority aren't very receptive to this idea...
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

reality

Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:05 am

Since the poster didn't specify, and most people wouldn't know..........................

PETA = People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

lincoln

Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:12 am

Quoting Reality (Reply 3):
PETA = People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

You mean it's not People Eating Tasty Animals?  Wink

I'm all for PETA buying ad space to push their agenda, and I don't really have a problem with advertising in bathrooms... but in stalls? I'm against it in general and it sounds like this campaign is pushing the limits of taste.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

txjim

RE: Peta Makes Proposal To DFW Airport

Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:59 am

Well, if Senator Larry Craig had something to read in a stall, perhaps he would not be in trouble today  Wink

Perhaps they can sign the deal at Railhead BBQ...

flyingcat

Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:07 am

PETA what hypocrites they will throw paint on you but don't you dare leave your animal with them they are staunch euthanasia supporters.

That's right the animal defenders kill animals too. Of course most of the dummies who support them never bother to learn their full history and views.

maxisno1

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:23 am

I'll have beef and eat it thank you very much!

ikramerica

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:27 am

Quoting Flyingcat (Reply 6):
PETA what hypocrites they will throw paint on you but don't you dare leave your animal with them they are staunch euthanasia supporters.

That's right the animal defenders kill animals too. Of course most of the dummies who support them never bother to learn their full history and views.

Very true. The vast majority of these animal rights and welfare advocacy groups are also advocates of pet population control, which includes euthanasia and forced sterilization. Did anyone ask the animals if they wanted to die or have their privates disconnected or removed?

I'm not saying any of those things are right or wrong, but there is hypocrisy all around.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

maxisno1

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:41 am

PS - Fast forward to 4:00 I found that quite funny, containing a part about PETA.  Wink

rampart

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:05 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 4):
it sounds like this campaign is pushing the limits of taste.

PETA are not known for their taste. Apart from their nude model adds, which most would agree were tasteful.  Smile

-Rampart

flyjoe

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:09 am

This has been part of PETA's MO for years. They will say something so wacky, that is unthinkable to the average human being. Then the lap dogs, also know as the media, will give them a little credibility by reporting on it. Now they have ventured into the world of A-net with their bizarre 'save the animals' campaign.

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 am

People Eating Tasty Animals?  

I like that PETA much better. PETA is ridiculous. Here in Connecticut they lobbied along with another environmental group that truck drivers could not idle their engines at trucks stops even if its 20 below. BUT if you have a pet you can idle your engine. I swear they care more about animals than people! I would piss on the ad and go to my flight.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

OPNLguy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:21 pm

They've gotten a few comments at the previously-mentioned blog/link...

While PETA's concerns for our colons might strike some as surprising, it's not exactly unfamilar territory for them---they've had their heads up theirs for years, as evidenced by the numerous idiotic stunts they've pulled.

I hope the DFW folks got a good laugh out of the proposal--I know I did, and I can imagine the DFW folks needed one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have good metabolism and high dietary fibre intack, so meat does not rot in my colon. I just poop it out a few hours after eating it. Yum! I love beef

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool! Put their ads INSIDE the urinals - I'd love to whiz on one!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

as739x

Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Why do I all of a sudden want a steak for dinner?  Smile

Considering I pay no attention to advertisements, specially in a bathroom, DFW should take the money and run.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:33 pm

Quoting AS739X (Reply 14):
Why do I all of a sudden want a steak for dinner?  

I think maybe I am going to do that! But first I am going to go shopping and get a few cheeseburgers.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

SPREE34

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Quoting Rampart (Reply 10):
PETA are not known for their taste.

You are right Sir!

It's the animals that taste good.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

sw733

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:12 pm

Maybe it's the Namibian in me and the fact that meat is so important in that diet because nothing really can grow...but wow do I think I will cook a 20 oz. T-Bone for dinner. And another for the girlfriend.

N867DA

Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:52 pm

As a vegetarian, I really see no point in preaching like PETA. Chickens, hogs, dogs, cats, whatever...if someone wants to eat something, they'll do it. There's no use in trying to force your personal morals like that. What is pretty funny is that PETA sparks such outrage and mockery.

DFW shouldn't let those ads in unless they absolutely need to get the money....the last thing I want to see when I'm taking a dump is an ad. Some toilet paper and a seat cover will do just fine...
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 22):
seat cover will do just fine..

Idea! Put the ad on the seat cover!
Blue

Boeing747_600

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 22):
What is pretty funny is that PETA sparks such outrage and mockery.

Yes, but the very freedom that allows one to express outrage and mockery is that which PETA is also entitled to, in promoting their ideas. This is the beauty of democracy. Its a large messy melting pot of ideas that simmers and bubbles, but never explodes, because a good democracy has strong institutions.

In the case of the gun lobby vs. ATL, the gun lobby is perfectly entitled to make its case in public as well. They certainly know that and use a pretty big megaphone with which to do so. The Hartsfield Airport Authority however, is under NO obligation to bend its rules to accomodate the lobby's dangerous and self-indulgent practices.

TWA757

Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 8):
The vast majority of these animal rights and welfare advocacy groups are also advocates of pet population control, which includes euthanasia and forced sterilization. Did anyone ask the animals if they wanted to die or have their privates disconnected or removed?

I'm not saying any of those things are right or wrong, but there is hypocrisy all around.

The argument behind the stance is that there are currently way too many animals (dogs and cats, for this discussion) than good, safe homes for those animals. Unless we spay and neuter our pets and companion animals, there will continue to be a huge number of animals without homes. The idea is to bring the number of pets and companion animals down, so that it eventually matches the number of good homes available to take in those animals.

Spaying and neutering isn't the same thing as euthansia, either. Spaying and neutering is birth control so that the animals can't reproduce (and so they can't increase the number of animals that don't have good homes). Euthanasia, as far as I know, is used as a last resort when there are just too many animals and not enough good homes, or when the animal is too sick to be properly rehabilitated.

Animal rights and animal welfare groups get a bad rap, but they all have the animals' interests in mind.

Boeing747_600

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting Boeing747_600 (Reply 20):
In the case of the gun lobby vs. ATL, the gun lobby is perfectly entitled to make its case in public as well.

The forum moderator suggested that I create a separate topic for the issue of handguns at ATL. Therefore, please migrate any further discussion of the ATL handgun issue here

Thanks.

bristolflyer

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 pm

The author of the letter didn't do her cause any good when she started going on about animals being skinned alive, teeth cut out etc etc. It had nothing to do with her business proposal, no wonder the airport turned it down.

If PETA had let somone with an ounce of intelligence write this letter they may have had more success.
Fortune favours the brave

Boeing747_600

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 24):
The author of the letter didn't do her cause any good when she started going on about animals being skinned alive, teeth cut out etc etc. It had nothing to do with her business proposal

Well, a reasonable reading of her letter would suggest that she's making the point that one of the motivating factors behind a person's choice of a vegetarian diet could be the undeniable cruelty involved in at least some meat producing operations. I'm not a vegetarian myself, but the point she was making is actually one that I find somewhat compelling.

no wonder the airport turned it down.

Unless there's some other information out there, its not clear from the article that her proposal was formally turned down or whether its under review.

CairnterriAIR

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 pm

The person who made the comment about letting PETA put an add at the bottom of the urinal so that he can urinate on it has my vote. While I have nothing against posting adds in restrooms or whereever, and DFW can do as they wish on this one....with the horrible reputation PETA has, I doubt anybody "doing their business" during an airport layover will be moved to what this group says. In all probability 99% of the population using the john probably won't even read the add. So if PETA wishes to wizz away their tax-exempt-donated by people who think they are helping to build a shelter for a stray dog money, then all the power to DFW.

As for PETA...this is a group who takes in tax exempt money from people who think that PETA will use it to build shelters or help animals....but instead uses the $$ to stage street protests, disrupt other organizations, tresspass, destroy other's property, and channel money to terrorist groups such as the ALF and ELF. And what happens to stray dogs and cats given to PETA by others thinking they will be found a new home? They are euthanized, and in several cases disposed in North Carolina grocery store dumpsters after being destroyed in PETA vans. Evil group that needs to be shut down.

thomasphoto60

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:31 pm

If PETA had let somone with an ounce of intelligence write this letter they may have had more success.

And there's the rub, PETA has no one "of intelligence". Smart move on DFW's part to send these freaks packing.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

ipodguy7

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:08 pm

I have no objection to bathroom ads but an add this ludacris only deserves to be displayed deep in the urinal!
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

Arcrftlvr

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:21 pm

Quoting Jetblueguy22 (Reply 19):
Idea! Put the ad on the seat cover!

Or, just on the piece that falls into the bowl....

Quoting Boeing747_600 (Reply 20):
Yes, but the very freedom that allows one to express outrage and mockery is that which PETA is also entitled to, in promoting their ideas.

If PETA just expressed outrage that's one thing. They are a bunch of idiots who can't effectively communicate their cause without doing something illegal in the process.

Quoting TWA757 (Reply 21):
Animal rights and animal welfare groups get a bad rap, but they all have the animals' interests in mind.

They can thank the largest of those groups for creating the bad rap; PETA. Maybe if they didn't create violence, cause property damage and personal injury all for the sake of their 'cause' then their reputation may be improved.

elcableguy77

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:28 pm

You mean it's not People Eating Tasty Animals?  Wink

I thought it stood for People Embarrassing the Tidewater Area.

PETA is headquarted in Norfolk, VA, a part of the Tidewater area (also known as the Hampton Roads area) of Virginia.

This is nothing new for them. They rarely post any ads around here, as most of us ignore them (or, in some cases, send them a few meat lovers' pizzas  Wink ).
Former ZW F/A | "Wisconsin 72A, contact departure, see ya."

PanAm747

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:29 pm

For the time being, the U.S. is still a semi-"free" country.

PETA, along with most every other group, has the right to their position, regardless of whether we agree or disagree. I support PETA when they advocate for humane treatment of animals, but I will NEVER give up meat, period.

DFW management has the right to deny them advertising space.

Sorry, PETA - not this time.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

bristolflyer

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:04 am

Quoting Boeing747_600 (Reply 24):
Well, a reasonable reading of her letter would suggest that she's making the point that one of the motivating factors behind a person's choice of a vegetarian diet could be the undeniable cruelty involved in at least some meat producing operations. I'm not a vegetarian myself, but the point she was making is actually one that I find somewhat compelling.

I agree with that, but her points are more to add shock value as opposed to being prescient to the intent of her letter. Whilst they may have a bearing on one's decision to eat meat or not, they don't have and bearing on whether DFW should allow their adverts.

Quoting Boeing747_600 (Reply 24):
Unless there's some other information out there, its not clear from the article that her proposal was formally turned down or whether its under review.

I got the impression that their request is in the 'pending' file. You know, the round metal one on the floor that gets emptied every day.
Fortune favours the brave

profcalvin

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:22 am

What are they gunna ask to do next?
Print a picture of a pig geting his testicles cut off on the toilet paper?

Big grin

747srule

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:28 am

I've said it before,and i'll say it again. I did not rise to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!!!
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

Boeing747_600

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 31):
Whilst they may have a bearing on one's decision to eat meat or not, they don't have and bearing on whether DFW should allow their adverts.

They dont have to factor into DFW's decision at all. THe writer of the letter was merely editorialising.