Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ajd1992
Topic Author

So, What Did You Get? (UK Kids...)

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:34 pm

How did your results go?

Mine went.... pretty piss poor if i'm honest.

I came out with:

C x2 In ICT (DiDA course)
D in Geography
D In Science
D In Maths
D In Addition Science
D In English Language
E In English Literature (Most definitely NOT my strongest subject....)
E In Food Technology
F in RE.

Least I'm still going to college, and i didn't fail any....

*edit* Missed out a subject....

[Edited 2008-08-21 13:39:23]

HUYguy

RE: So, What Did You Get? (UK Kids...)

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:40 pm

As long as you know that you put effort into it then there's nothing to worry about.

I didn't do GCSE's this year, I was onto the A-levels, and I got BBB so I'm going to Loughborough University in September.

You always have the opportunity to improve at college dude, my GCSE's weren't spectacular either.

Shane

ajd1992
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:44 pm

Quoting HUYguy (Reply 1):

You always have the opportunity to improve at college dude, my GCSE's weren't spectacular either.

I'm planning on it. It's not if i want to, i NEED to do my English and maths again.

I'm going on to do a BTEC ND in Popular Music for 3 years so i've got the time to do it anyway.

bristolflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Thread starter):

These are GCSE results, right?

I thought that a pass was 'C' or above? It was in my day.

OA260

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:59 pm

Mine went.... pretty piss poor if i'm honest.

Well done . There are always courses down the road that you can do to top up your results. My GCSE results back in 1990-91 were terrible if Im honest but I left and did private college and did very well. I am still taking odd courses in things now in my spare time.

ajd1992
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 3):

These are GCSE results, right?

I thought that a pass was 'C' or above? It was in my day.

Yeah.

Pass now is A*-D on higher, and C-G on Foundation. Below a D on higher and you fail, below a G on foundation and you fail....

You remind me of my dad, I keep having to explain it to him as well  Silly

ANITIX87

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Incredible how different it is. With these scores:

D in Geography
D In Science
D In Maths
D In Addition Science
D In English Language
E In Food Technology
F in RE.

You would not be advancing to the next year in the USA. But it's a completely different system. So when I read this...

I had to chuckle. Here, A is exemplary, B is Good, C is Average, D is poor, and F is fail. There is no E. So here you're not even close to being an average student.

I guess my question is how does the system work? What do these letters mean, if they clearly are better grades then their American equivalents are.

TIS

bristolflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:08 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 5):

I see. Well, I don't, but I don't really need to as I did my GCSEs about 18 yrs ago. Man, do I feel  old 

ajd1992
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:25 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 6):

I had to chuckle. Here, A is exemplary, B is Good, C is Average, D is poor, and F is fail. There is no E. So here you're not even close to being an average student.

Way to piss on my fire, thanks. I did try but you know not everybody is perfect  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grades_..._of_Secondary_Education_.28GCSE.29

Then apply this logic:

Pass now is A*-D on higher, and C-G on Foundation. Below a D on higher and you fail, below a G on foundation and you fail....

OA260

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Its a totally different system in the UK than the USA ( thank god ) . The UK system is still much better IMHO and seems to work well for the country. You cant compare a USA Grade D to a UK one as its a totally different grading system.

bristolflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:06 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 8):
Way to piss on my fire, thanks. I did try but you know not everybody is perfect

Don't worry about it - it's not like the average American is more clever than the average Brit. I mean, how many GCSEs do you think this guy would get an 'A' in?

Big version: Width: 450 Height: 339 File size: 43kb

ANITIX87

Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:27 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 8):
Way to piss on my fire, thanks. I did try but you know not everybody is perfect

Didn't mean to piss on your fire. Just curious what your scores would be in the American equivalents.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Its a totally different system in the UK than the USA ( thank god ) . The UK system is still much better IMHO and seems to work well for the country. You cant compare a USA Grade D to a UK one as its a totally different grading system.

I know they're different, that was my point. Which is better is debatable since I've never been in the UK one, but, as you said, it works well for the country and is therefore the best option.

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 10):
Don't worry about it - it's not like the average American is more clever than the average Brit.

So true....

TIS

Phoenix9

Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:29 pm

D in Geography
D In Science
D In Maths
D In Addition Science
D In English Language
E In Food Technology
F in RE.

Thats what happens when you spend all your time on A.net instead of studying!
With those kind of marks, it'd be very hard (impossible maybe) to get into any of the good Canadian universities!

But on the other hand....Congrats on clearing your GCSEs

bristolflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 12):
With those kind of marks, it'd be very hard (impossible maybe) to get into any of the good Canadian universities!

Why would GCSE results (for 16 year olds) be used as an entry qualification to a university? Surely A-Levels taken at age 18 would be used?

Phoenix9

Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 13):
Why would GCSE results (for 16 year olds) be used as an entry qualification to a university? Surely A-Levels taken at age 18 would be used?

Some universities here look at previous marks (grade 11 equivalent) as well...especially if you want to get into a very competitive field. But that being said...I was confusing A-levels with GCSE...thanks for correcting me.

navymmw

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:06 am

Don't worry about it - it's not like the average American is more clever than the average Brit. I mean, how many GCSEs do you think this guy would get an 'A' in?

Was their really a reason to bring that up? Also that is not really the type of person to use to represent Americans.

Anyway I have a quick question. In England at Grade 10 you take those exams(GCSE's correct?) After that you go to College for two years till the American equivalent of a Senior in High School. Finlay you go to University which is the equivalent of a college in America, correct?

mdsh00

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:21 am

You can't compare US grades to UK grading as the system is completely different.

Someone mind to give a short run down of how it works? I know you guys take that exam in what is considered our 10th grade here, but is there flexibility on what you can do if you didn't do well on your exams?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Its a totally different system in the UK than the USA ( thank god ) . The UK system is still much better IMHO and seems to work well for the country.

I don't really know much about the UK system but I know the US system works for us. I know the Canadian system is pretty much the same (except I believe Ontario is a little different).

QFA380

Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:33 am

Is there any other UK people who wouldn't mind sharing their results? I'm curious as to how people do.

In Australia (NSW) we have the Higher School Certificate. You do the exams and everything for each subject and you get a mark out of 100 for that subject. You have to do 10 units of subjects, most subjects are 2 units, basic ones are 1, then there are extensions that are en extra 1 or 2 for smarties.

Then you get a UAI if you fulfill the eligibility, the UAI is Universities Admissions Index. What they do is they grade your position in the class (the whole state, 60 odd thousand) and then each subject has a weighting, harder subjects (Physics Chemistry) have a higher weighting than easier subjects (Food Technology Society and Culture), so that way, someone who gets 85 in Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Mathematics and Advanced English (10 units), will get a higher UAI than someone who got 95 in Food Tech, Industrial Technology, PDHPE, General Maths and Standard English. Your UAI is then a number between 100 and 33 (I think) in increments of 0.05. I'm hoping for a fairly high UAI of 92.

I think it is a good system, much better than the one in Queensland which is a ranking rather than a result and relies heavily on classmates doing well compared to the rest of the state.

ag92

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:16 am

Well here are my results

Co-Science - A
Co-Science - A (Not a mistake, you get two grades for it)
Geography - A
English Language - A
English Literature - B
Drama - B
Spanish - B

And for all those who remember, I did my maths GCSE last November just a few days after the inaugural Airbus 380 which I was proud to be part of and for that I managed an A* but that was expected by everyone

Kind of upset at my Geography grade, extremely surprised at English Language, as English Lang/Lit and Spanish are my two crappiest subjects and its been a long way since then, I personally have only see an A once before that and that too just a few weeks prior to my exams. All my coursework was B, so my exam must have gone amazingly well. Also upset at Drama, because I am pretty sure I aced my coursework as my teacher said that everyone gets over 90% in coursework, so I must have done VERY bad at my performance which is a slight worry. Lastly geography, I really expected an A* for that but so did alot of other people in my college, I talked to a few others who were expecting an A* for that, however we have agreed to to do a remark.

All the others I am happy with - not exceptional by any means, but I will take this to my advantage. Just started IB and now this is the time to make the most of it since I won't have to waste my time with Language, Spanish, Chem and Bio

My subjects for IB are currently HL - Maths, Physics and Business SL - English, French a/b initio and ITGS. Really looking to ace five of the six subjects excluding english

Edit:
Many people ask why I didn't take Spanish SL for IB, and the reason is quite simply, when I asked my teacher a question 2 years ago, she laughed at me, and after my mocks in my written report she said " and I were very surprised he got a B for his mock exam". Both those comments are so bloody sad.

Another reason why I am happy with my science grade is if someone remembers sometime ago I complained that my teacher was teaching us off wikipedia, so i guess that helped being scared for life about my sci grades

[Edited 2008-08-22 01:18:28]

OA260

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:58 am

English B
German C
Religious Studies A ( I know I missed my vocation LOL...)
Maths B
Geography B
History B
Science C
Greek B

So no straight A'sss but I have done better since I left school and have a great job with good pay so dont rely too heavily on just those grades. Like I said there are many courses in the UK that top up those results. Not really an excuse put during my GCSE's my family went through a really rough time and my parents split up so it was a really stressful time all round.

HUYguy

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:32 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 17):
Is there any other UK people who wouldn't mind sharing their results? I'm curious as to how people do.

Back when I did my GCSE's (in 2006) I got:

A - English Language
A - Geography
B - Maths
B - Graphics (Design)
B - Spanish
BB - Science (Double Award - worth 2 GCSE's)
B - Business Studies
C - Music
C - ICT (Short Course - worth half a GCSE)
U - English Literature (didn't sit the exam)

Not bad, but I think I probably could have done better if I'd revised some more.

Quoting navymmu:
Anyway I have a quick question. In England at Grade 10 you take those exams(GCSE's correct?) After that you go to College for two years till the American equivalent of a Senior in High School. Finlay you go to University which is the equivalent of a college in America, correct?

That's basically it. In year 11 you do your GCSE's at which point you can:
- Leave the education system
- Carry on at school (if your school has a sixth form (AKA the last two years of school))
- Go to a college. At colleges you can do more traditional subjects as A-levels, but also more vocational qualifications such as plumbing, building, performing arts, etc.

It's a good system. It means that there are lots of options open to people, even if they don't achieve excellent qualifications when leaving high school.

Shane

ajd1992
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:46 am

Quoting Navymmw (Reply 15):

Pretty much. You don't have to spend 2 years at college though, some people only pick a 1 year course, some people do a 1 then a 2 etc. I'm doing a GCSE level music course (1 year) first purely because i've never had a music lesson in my life and I want to do well with the 2 year one i'm doing to top that one up to A-level standard.

College here isn't compulsory by any means but it's a huge dent to your education if you don't go because no employer wants ONLY GCSE grades, they want something more.

I'm going on to do a performing arts BTEC (vocational course) which didn't require me to get ANY passes. I didn't choose it because i expected bad grades, I was given the place because I play 3 musical instruments.

MYT332

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:48 am

This is the way I see it.

C x2 In ICT (DiDA course) (As long as you can find www.google.com you'll get through life)
D in Geography (We have sat navs these days)
D In Science (Mythbusters will help you out learning about science)
D In Maths (Even if you did learn it, you'd still forget it all by the time you are 23 anyway)
D In Addition Science (Watch Mythbusters on Discovery+1?)
D In English Language (You seem to be managing here ok?)
E In English Literature (So you may not write the best Trip Reports basically?)
E In Food Technology (Womans job)
F in RE. (Who gives a F about religion  Wink )

bristolflyer

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:16 pm

Was their really a reason to bring that up?

Yes, the poster that I referenced implied that education standards are higher in teh US than the UK. So I took it to the extreme and found the pic that I posted.

Also that is not really the type of person to use to represent Americans.

Correct, but I also wanted to inject a bit of humour into the thread as the OP was clearly having a hard time.

sv7887

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:30 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 23):

Yes, the poster that I referenced implied that education standards are higher in teh US than the UK. So I took it to the extreme and found the pic that I posted.

It honestly depends where in the US you are comparing to..I went to Cardiff High School in Wales and god was it hard, especially in the sciences. That was year 7 and they were doing things my school did in grade 10. The teachers were tough and they would challenge you, no "everyone gets a trophy" atmosphere.

I distinctly remember my Welsh teacher giving us all quizzes and having our peers correct them. Then she'd make us stand up in front of the class and tell everyone our score. She'd mark it down in her gradebook.

I had just arrived from the US and didn't have a clue about Welsh and did quite poorly on my first quiz. She demanded to know why I didn't study properly when I had to announce my score.

I was so embarassed that I studied my ass off for the next quiz and did quite well. This time when she heard my score she congratulated me and asked the class to give me some applause for redeeming myself.

I "woke up" that day and took my studies far more seriously and did well at Cardiff High. The teachers were hard on me, but I remember my dad getting my report card and smiling at how pleased the teachers were with my progress.

The Brits do an amazing job at education. I like the tough love approach.

My college experience was similar. My US school Brandeis was good, but nothing compared to LSE in academic standards. The teachers at Brandeis were more accessible but the stuff they taught us at LSE was cutting edge and definitely make us unique and well regarded in the job markets.

British education, especially at the university level is an intense experience. When I got my MSc from LSE I had this tremendous feeling of accomplishment, a feeling that I hold to this day. I showed some of my coursework to a MIT Ph.D candidate and he commented that just the mathematics portion of my course (Stochastic Calculus) usually takes a year alone to master. He was very impressed by the standards.

The British schools really make you earn your degree, they really mean business there.

ajd1992
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:32 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 22):
C x2 In ICT (DiDA course) (As long as you can find www.google.com you'll get through life)
D in Geography (We have sat navs these days)
D In Science (Mythbusters will help you out learning about science)
D In Maths (Even if you did learn it, you'd still forget it all by the time you are 23 anyway)
D In Addition Science (Watch Mythbusters on Discovery+1?)
D In English Language (You seem to be managing here ok?)
E In English Literature (So you may not write the best Trip Reports basically?)
E In Food Technology (Womans job)
F in RE. (Who gives a F about religion Wink )

bigthumbsup   duck   rotfl 

Actually the food technology wasn't my choice, I went to a technology school so it was compulsary. Biggest waste of 3 hours a week, rather have done a language (something I AM actually good at.....)

Geography wasn't anything like what sat navs tell you... unless you can show me a sat nav that tells you when the next pyroclastic flow or glacier is going to block the road Big grin

MYT332

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 25):
unless you can show me a sat nav that tells you when the next pyroclastic flow or glacier is going to block the road

Well not quite a galicier buy my sat nav once said this in Switzerland!

Wink

Boeing74741R

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 14):
Some universities here look at previous marks (grade 11 equivalent) as well...especially if you want to get into a very competitive field. But that being said...I was confusing A-levels with GCSE...thanks for correcting me.

They do that in the UK too. I'm about to start a Management degree at Lancaster University, and when I was applying I had to list all of my grades that I got at GCSE, and believe me they do matter as some universities won't offer you a place on the course you applied to if you have a GCSE Maths/English grade C or below. As I didn't get an A at GCSE Maths and/or as I didn't do A-Level Maths I have to take a maths refresher course as part of my degree as in their own words "otherwise you may find the more quantitative bits of the degree more difficult". Not bothered about doing that though as it's been about two years since I did complex maths and it will be good to get to grips with it again.

When I got my GCSE results in 2006 they were as follows...

AA - Applied ICT
A - Geography
A - Graphic Products
B - Maths
B - Statistics
B - English Literature
B - English Language
BB - Science Double Award
C - French

extspotter

Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:14 pm

My GCSEs:

A* Core Science
A* Additional Science
A* Maths
A* French
A* Spanish
A English Lit
A English Lang
B Geography
B Business Studies
B RE

DanTaylor2006

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:24 pm

Not GCSEs (did those in 2006), but I did get my A Level results last Thursday.

I got;

A - Geography
B - Biology
B - History
(B - AS Chemistry)

So I got exactly what I needed to go and study BA Geography at the University of Sheffield, which I'm well pleased about! Bring on September Big grin

planesarecool

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:30 am

I actually had to go back to the thread in 2005 to see what my results were - they seem to mean so little these days that I couldn't actually remember what I got. But here they are:

Quote:
English - A*
English Lit - A*
Maths - A*
Biology - A
Physics - A
Chemistry - B
RE (short course) - U
French - A*
Spanish - A*
Latin - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*

I have no idea how I got an A* in Latin, I practically gave up the course about 6 months before the exam and went into it half cut!

You would not be advancing to the next year in the USA. But it's a completely different system.

Yes, in the US you probably get marks for spelling your name correctly.

BA787

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:34 pm

Right well here goes. I'm delighted with mine:

A* Additional Science
A* English Language
A* A* ICT CiDA Double Award
A* Food Technology
A* Maths
A Core Science
A French
A Humanities
B English Literature
B Geography
Pass YMCA Entry Course For Fitness Instruction Level 1

I'm a little less delighted with my school. I had planned to go into my school's sixth form to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The Maths and the Physics side of things were to aid me in becoming a commercial pilot. I decided though that because passing my medical is not a cert(not to mention the shit way the industry is going), I needed to think of a career in which I would be happy with following. So I decided on medicine, hence the Chemistry. Biology was an afterthought which I think would compliment Chemistry well. Strangely, the universities will only accept candidates for medicine if they have a Chemistry A level while a Biology A level is by no means expected or needed.

So after six months of leading me to believe that I could quite happily take these a levels, my fantastic school published the timetables on Friday. I was less than happy to note that now I cant take Maths Chemistry and Physics because the Chemistry and Physics side of things clash; I can take Maths and Chemistry or Maths and Physics or Chemistry and Physics but not all three. So now I have to decide between either my school or following a risky career path with many hurdles to be a pilot or following a less risky career path in a career which would be second choice and thus I would always be thinking what could have been.

I bet you're all thinking, yes just go to another school. But, and heres the annoying bit, I have 1 week to sign myself up to another school, to acquaint myself with it and to prepare for it before I get thrown in at the deep end next week. Whats annoying is that there are many careers in which these three subjects go hand in hand and my school appears to be the only one in my area which has made these choices impossible

I think, afetr much deliberation, I'm gonna take the risk and go for the Maths Physics route, coupled with Biology and Geography. I suppose if the worst comes to the worst, I could always do a years chemistry course if need be instead of a gap year.

So after much relief on Thursday night, it was piled back on first thing on Friday morning.  Sad

BA787

swiftski

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 pm

I guess my question is how does the system work? What do these letters mean, if they clearly are better grades then their American equivalents are.

I went to an American School and to get an A we only had to get 70% ... And 35% was a pass...

Having said that I also took IGCSE (International Version of GCSE) and got 12.

Boeing74741R

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 31):
I bet you're all thinking, yes just go to another school. But, and heres the annoying bit, I have 1 week to sign myself up to another school, to acquaint myself with it and to prepare for it before I get thrown in at the deep end next week. Whats annoying is that there are many careers in which these three subjects go hand in hand and my school appears to be the only one in my area which has made these choices impossible

I think, afetr much deliberation, I'm gonna take the risk and go for the Maths Physics route, coupled with Biology and Geography. I suppose if the worst comes to the worst, I could always do a years chemistry course if need be instead of a gap year.

It depends on where your heart lies. If you have your mind set on a specific career or direction and if you are absolute certain that any compromises can't be made just because your school is being tight ar$ed about it, then don't be afraid to tell the school where to shove it and join another one who will let you take all three subjects.

Yes it is an inconvenience and yes there's so much to do in so little time and yes it's a journey into the unknown, but what is it all worth when it comes to your future?

Food for thought, perhaps?

And by the way, if you're keen on Physics there is a shortage in this country at the minute, hint hint!

N867DA

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 32):
I went to an American School and to get an A we only had to get 70% ... And 35% was a pass...

I'd love that school! 90% + is an A and below 60% was fail for us! They must have had a hell of a curve or something.

LHR27C

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:42 pm

Strangely, the universities will only accept candidates for medicine if they have a Chemistry A level while a Biology A level is by no means expected or needed.

Yep, this is because a lot of the things you learn in A level chemistry, particularly the organic side of things, and the general "way of thinking" are very useful in undergraduate medicine. Most of the biological side of things is book-learning that is done anyway (with thicker books :P) at university.

I was less than happy to note that now I cant take Maths Chemistry and Physics because the Chemistry and Physics side of things clash

That's awful. Maths, Chem and Physics is a popular combination, lots of people I know including myself did it, weird they don't offer that.

IH8BY

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:01 pm

Quoting DanTaylor2006 (Reply 29):
BA Geography

BA Geography... it's what all the awesome people do (yeah that would be me)...

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 30):
I have no idea how I got an A* in Latin, I practically gave up the course about 6 months before the exam and went into it half cut!

Yeah same here... I actually gave up Latin two years before I did the GCSE, took it up again a year later, and still managed an A*... goodness knows how!

It's 6 years since I did my GCSEs - I can't believe it's gone past so quickly. A in History, Chemistry, Maths, A* in Biology, English Lang., English Lit., French, Geography, Latin, Music (IGCSE), and Physics.

andrej

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:58 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 32):

Hey man....where exactly you went to a school? I have attended schools in Czech Republic, Slovakia, US and the UK. In the US I have never heard of such system!

To topic,

as long as you put your best congratulations. To be honest try to study little harder and if you dont understand ask your teacher for help. It is better to receive it then just fail.

To sub-topic on what is better, (US vs. UK vs. Rest of the World),

Speaking of the US, 90% gets u an A, 70% gets u a C and 35% gets u F. This was same for middle school and high school in the Maryland, high school in the New Jersey and college in the Maryland. I understand that each county has different school system (Board of Education) but they MUST at least to have minimum standards set by the State as well as the Federal Government.

I attended college in the US and had four years of great time. I like that we had exams usually every 2-3 months. Basically there were usually three exams per semester per subject. In a way I feel that I gained more knowledge as well as critical thinking. The amount tested was resonable and basically one had an idea what could be on the exam.

Speaking of the UK. To be honest I hate the exam policy at my University. There is usually one paper that accounts for 10-20% of the final grade. Then there is ONE final exam and it can range from six questions to 30 multiple choice plus three essay questions. It can be any question from the material presented through the school year. Now to be honest I feel like I was not studying the material, but rather studying to answer previous papers' questions. Dont get me wrong, I really enjoyed the experience here, and the school is one of the top Universities in the UK.

I feel as each system was different and each had it pros and cons, but one can not say for sure that this or that system is better. It depends on what the student is used to and what is better for the student.

Cheers,
Andrej

BA787

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:50 pm

Thanks for the comments guys

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 33):

I see your point and although I know it would probably wise to consider my future at this point, it's proving harder than I thought, particularly since the medicine theory has always been something which I have considered as an afterthought to being a pilot (I think medicine is the sort of vocation which you need to be a hundred percent commited to from the start as opposed to treating it as a second choice). In truth I'm still unsure, but I'm thinking that there are plenty of careers in whcih physics maths geography and either biology or IT would apply to. I'm gonna do a bit of research before thursday to see what my options would be if i failed my medical or failed to get the financial backing needed to be a pilot.

Quoting LHR27C (Reply 35):
That's awful. Maths, Chem and Physics is a popular combination, lots of people I know including myself did it, weird they don't offer that.

Well it is crazy and it isn't. In a way my school is a gritty Yorkshire school where there are not many people who want to pick that combination. I was thinking of the big picture and on the premise that there wasn't much that I couldn't do if I had these A levels behind me. Many people don't know what they want to do at my school and thus have picked A levels which they enjoy. Unfortunately, not many people seem to enjoy these subjects and as a result haven't picked them. This has meant that my school has gone with the majority ruling so subjects with fewer interested parties have been given the short shift. For example Psychology features in two of the five blocks while Chemistry and Physics do not. Also, because my school was more concerned with numbers (and thus budget), they waved a nice big piece of candy in front of people who would otherwise have just gone straight into work at 16: EMA. This doesn't apply to everyone so don't get me wrong, but the promise of being paid to go to school appealed to a lot of people at my school. Unfortunately, not many of these people are the academic types and have unwittingly picked the ones that they thought were easy. Funny really, because I know from talking to people that things like Psychology are bloody hard work and take a lot of commitment. So these subjects which are popular will probably see a good chunk of students and budget at the start, will suffer many drop outs because people don't realise that not a single A level subject is easy.

So it's a shame really.

But I think as long as I get decent grades at any course that there will be plenty of jobs that will appeal to me.

Thanks BA787

egmcman

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:16 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 2):

Quoting HUYguy (Reply 1):

I'm planning on it. It's not if i want to, i NEED to do my English and maths again.

I'm going on to do a BTEC ND in Popular Music for 3 years so i've got the time to do it anyway.

I had to do a BTEC First Diploma and then my National Diploma because my grades were so poor. It took three years but I honestly say they were one my favourite times in my life.

Some employers don't use education but examples skills and experiences you have learned in life in application forms.

Boeing74741R

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 38):
I see your point and although I know it would probably wise to consider my future at this point, it's proving harder than I thought, particularly since the medicine theory has always been something which I have considered as an afterthought to being a pilot (I think medicine is the sort of vocation which you need to be a hundred percent commited to from the start as opposed to treating it as a second choice). In truth I'm still unsure, but I'm thinking that there are plenty of careers in whcih physics maths geography and either biology or IT would apply to. I'm gonna do a bit of research before thursday to see what my options would be if i failed my medical or failed to get the financial backing needed to be a pilot.

My advice would be to do some serious research ASAP and make a swift (but informed) decision. As I said before, don't let the compromises being offered by your school stop you from doing what you want to do.

Quoting BA787 (Reply 38):
Also, because my school was more concerned with numbers (and thus budget), they waved a nice big piece of candy in front of people who would otherwise have just gone straight into work at 16: EMA. This doesn't apply to everyone so don't get me wrong, but the promise of being paid to go to school appealed to a lot of people at my school. Unfortunately, not many of these people are the academic types and have unwittingly picked the ones that they thought were easy

Lately colleges (and places of further education) have been carrying out massive student recruitment drives in their respective areas because the more students they can enrol into their college they can then get more money from the Government. They will go to great lengths to get students in just for the money, and nobody should be duped into going to a college simply because they carried out the biggest recruitment drive or are offering freebies and cash incentives etc. For example, I studied what courses the colleges I was interested in going to had to offer, then I studied the OfSTED reports for the shortlisted colleges to see where their strengths and weaknesses lied in terms of subject areas, results, quality of teaching and facilities, drop out rates and overall student satisfaction, as well as visiting the college on open days. Once I did that I made an informed decision on what college I wanted to go to, and looking back I'm glad I did the research as it helped me to make the right choice.

If you think college recruitment drives is bad enough, wait until your college takes you to a HE convention where universities will throw all sorts in your face just to get your £3,000 per year in tuition fees! Again, do your research and visit the universities you're interested in in order to see which universities meet your needs the best, and when that time comes I recommend reading The Times Good University Guide and looking at the individual write-ups for the uni's and how they rank in its tables.

EMA, although useful for those from lower income backgrounds who do want to do well in education, is often flouted for those who just want the money. I've just finished a two year course at college and some people admitted in private (well, away from the tutors at least) they are only there just to get an EMA deposit into their bank accounts every week. You can safely bet on the people who did just that doing something with their lives that doesn't involve what they learnt at college...if anything!

Best of luck with your studies!

BA787

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:00 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 40):

I appreciate all the help you've given me with this, your insight has been helpful and has given me an opinion that doesn't have an attachment if you see what I mean. My parents and teachers have their own biases as do my friends, so it's nice to have a neutral opinion that I can use to help

Thanks

BA787

BA787

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:08 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 41):

Just a quick update:

Got a phone call from my school this morning to say that after an outcry from various parents who were disgusted that Maths, Physics and Chemistry were not able to be taken all together, the school has made adjustments to the Blocking system and now I am able to do my original courses.

So next year I will be taking Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry Big grin

Quite a relief, I just hope that other people haven't had their plans ruined by these adjustments.

Thanks for all the help guys

BA787

skidmarks

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:19 pm

Well, if it's any encouragement to anyone, my son got average marks in his GCSE's and his A levels (2 x C and 2 x D). However, he still got his place at Southampton Uni because they took the trouble to talk to him first and see just how keen and interested he was.

Now I just have to fund him through Uni and my poor wife will get all the washing!!

Andy  old 

LHR27C

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 am

Quoting BA787 (Reply 42):

Got a phone call from my school this morning to say that after an outcry from various parents who were disgusted that Maths, Physics and Chemistry were not able to be taken all together, the school has made adjustments to the Blocking system and now I am able to do my original courses.

So next year I will be taking Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry Big grin

Smile Well done, that's a great combination - be prepared for quite a bit of work but those A levels will do you well in the future.

Boeing74741R

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:37 am

Quoting BA787 (Reply 41):
I appreciate all the help you've given me with this, your insight has been helpful and has given me an opinion that doesn't have an attachment if you see what I mean. My parents and teachers have their own biases as do my friends, so it's nice to have a neutral opinion that I can use to help

You're very welcome.  Smile

I'm also glad to read your latest post about your school doing a U-turn and now letting you do what you want. Obviously they must've had a lot of parents/students threatening to go elsewhere. Kudos to you on standing your ground.

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 43):
Well, if it's any encouragement to anyone, my son got average marks in his GCSE's and his A levels (2 x C and 2 x D). However, he still got his place at Southampton Uni because they took the trouble to talk to him first and see just how keen and interested he was.

That's good to read, and shines a ray of encouragement on those who may have missed out on the grades needed. If only all universities were like that!

Best thing to do if you miss out on your uni place is to ring them up straight away to see if they will still take you on, and even go for an interview! The personal statement that your son typed up when applying must've contributed in some way as I believe they also look at that again when deciding whether or not to take the student on.

iairallie

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:48 am

I mean, how many GCSEs do you think this guy would get an 'A' in?

Well, he couldn't get any less than the OP as the OP had none. I've watched plenty of Brittish television on UK layovers (makes Springer look almost civiliized) and worked some British charter vacation flights so I know you have your share of people like the guy in the photo.

ajd1992
Topic Author

Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:38 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 46):
Well, he couldn't get any less than the OP as the OP had none. I've watched plenty of Brittish television on UK layovers (makes Springer look almost civiliized) and worked some British charter vacation flights so I know you have your share of people like the guy in the photo.

I couldn't get any A grades anyway, it was physically impossible but that's not the point.

You can't judge a nation from TV. It's like me watching a program on the Westboro Baptist Church then assuming all 300 million Americans are like that (I know they're not, but that's not the point).

BCal Dc10

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 42):
So next year I will be taking Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry

Well done for keeping up the pressure on the school - when you first said you couldn't do that combo, I was well surprised - that has to be the most popular science math combo's you can do at A-level - for your school not to offer it is quite amazing.
Good luck - they aren't easy and you'll have to work hard. I did Chemistry, Physics, Maths and got A, B, C respectively.
cheers.

iairallie

Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:55 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 47):
You can't judge a nation from TV

True read all of what I wrote. I've had face to face interaction. Great Britain is not all finger sandwiches and tea parties. The post I was replying to implied that the average Brit was superior to the average American. Not true as you have more than your share of trash.