navymmw
Topic Author

What Do You Think About Wild Animal Attacks?

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:49 am

Hello everyone. Well tonight I was watching TV about a show that was about wild animal's that have attacked people. So one section of the show involved a wild coyote that attacked a young boy in order for her to feed her young. After the attack the Police hunted down and shot the female coyote and this sort of made me think, do wild animals that have attacked really deserve to be shot and killed? Yes I know people may just say, "well hunting is okay," but the thing is do you think they deserve to be shot just because they wanted to feed their young? I dont only mean coyote's but also other animals such as bears that were protecting their young, etc... I dont think that mothers should be shot because they ussaly attack from something that we caused.

Cadet57

RE: What Do You Think About Wild Animal Attacks?

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:54 am

Quoting Navymmw (Thread starter):
What Do You Think About Wild Animal Attacks?  

I think they must hurt like hell.

duck 

I'll get my coat
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

navymmw
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:01 am

lol, okay then. wasent but I ment but is still fine. Also you dont need your coat. Last half of the message was just so my post would not be too short to post, lol.

StuckInCA

Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:13 am

In general, once a wild animal sees humans as a food source (the humans or their food) then there's no hope for them. They will continue to be a problem animal and a danger to the public unless they can be reloced VERY far from people. It's not as if there's a shortage of coyotes anyway. Those things are everywhere.

navymmw
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:50 am

I see your point. I guess it just sort of got to me when they should the dead mother and thinking about her babies. One thing that may help is restict contact with them so maybe they will keep their fear of humans, lol.

yooyoo

Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:32 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 3):
It's not as if there's a shortage of coyotes anyway. Those things are everywhere.

And there is no shortage of humans but if they "hunt" another human we rehabilite the offender, feed them, shelter them, and further their education. Sorry, i'm heading of on a tangent.

anyways...

To kill the animal is the easiest and cheapest way to "solve" the problem. In some cases, not all, it's stupid actions by the human that threatens the animal and the animal defends itself. Pop the animal in head and be rid of them makes most people feel better but the real problem of developing land and threatening the animals habitat is not considered and not an issue to the human.

I'm not a tree hugger or animal lover per se, it's just that i think people take the easy way out of things in stead of thinking what the real problem is and figuring out what can be done about it.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

vikkyvik

Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:17 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 1):
I think they must hurt like hell.

Speaking from experience? After all, you do live way out there in the wild, with the bears and foxes and rednecks and such.  duck 
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

dragon-wings

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:24 am

Well if you kill a mother coyote your are killing the cubs too cause it's most likely they will not survive without it's mother. So with that I have a problem with.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Cadet57

Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 6):
Speaking from experience? After all, you do live way out there in the wild, with the bears and foxes and rednecks and such.

I saw a fox when I was on the pike near Lee the other day  tongue 

Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

baroque

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:23 pm

Well tonight I was watching TV about a show that was about wild animal's that have attacked people.

With all our sharks, crocodiles, snakes, poisonous spiders and octopus, horses kill more humans in Aus than all of those other ferocious beasties put together.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...life/2008/07/04/1214951042706.html
Sharks are a poor fourth after horses, cows and then dogs.
http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs...ulletin24/bulletin24-Discussi.html

Shoot all the horses? One option would be to put them all into Victorian steeplechases, they have a high horse fatality rate, some humans too mind you. What to do with the cows though?

We used to have coyotes in our garden in Kansas, not a problem. Maybe Kansan coyotes are well mannered.

SlamClick

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:48 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 7):
So with that I have a problem with.

Harsh, but a stock tool of population reduction. Be comforted by the fact that in a harsh winter the parents will eat the young anyway.

I will go to some lengths to avoid killing a wild critter, even a rattlesnake. But I will not hesitate if it is a threat to humans. If we don't feel that human considerations take precedence over all animals we would eventually be back to a population of perhaps fewer than a million humans worldwide. Everything we do kills animals. Your house killed animals. The vegetables you eat killed animals. If you dont' understand how that could be you've obviously never had a garden for any purpose other than a hobby. That's the thing the spring-loaded to the pissed-off position types at PETA never get - vegetables prevent more animals than just about anything. Major activity at any farm is animal control. Wonder if they'll ever catch on - wheatfields really killed the buffalo.

Because I walked in on, and surprised two mountain lions at their meals in the course of a single year I will not hike unarmed anymore. Nor will I hike without another armed person, usually my son, with me. We will avoid high-risk areas, we will retreat and otherwise try passively to avoid a confrontation but if there is one we will use all our intelligence and firepower to prevail. Sorry animals, but that's the way it is.

However - if you go out in the woods today...

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 3):
It's not as if there's a shortage of coyotes anyway.

Not in my yard is there any shortage! Every night! I get to recognize their voices. Not all bad though, I'd be overrun with bunnies without them. Besides, in high school each of my dumb kids brought home a kitten - then moved out and we were stuck with cats. When we moved here the coyotes ate both cats within a month. Always had sort of a soft spot for "ki oats" (just kidding) (or is he)
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

aerorobnz

Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:29 am

I think they're great. Humans are part of the food chain, and it's nice to watch nature working the way it should be.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

MaidensGator

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:56 am

I dont think that mothers should be shot because they ussaly attack from something that we caused.

You're right, shoot the guy that was dumb enough to get attacked and feed him to the coyote... fair is fair...  Wow!

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 5):

And there is no shortage of humans but if they "hunt" another human we rehabilite the offender, feed them, shelter them, and further their education.

Not where I live... We hunt them down and either shoot them dead or kill them with drugs...  Cool

Quoting Baroque (Reply 9):
What to do with the cows though?

T-Bones, Ribeye Steaks.... MMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD......  Silly
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

ANCsupercub

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:03 am

Living in Anchorage we deal with wildlife every day. Just the other day a man hit a good sized grizzly on a busy street in town. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,409342,00.html I would always put a human life above an animals. They are a real problem here and frankly need to be thinned out. If i was fishing and a sow charged me do you think that i would hesitate for a second to shoot it? Just because an animal is wild and is reacting to its instincts doesn't mean it shouldn't be taken care of. I'm not saying go out and shoot animals illegally, but in defense of life and property animals should be shot and in urban areas such as anchorage, game management should start predator control programs.

Arrow

Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:52 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 10):
Because I walked in on, and surprised two mountain lions at their meals in the course of a single year I will not hike unarmed anymore.

Wow. Twice! I make it a point to leave our cat alone when he's eating because I don't like the sounds he makes if I get close.

Our woods are lousy with cougars, but I've never seen one despite hiking and backpacking for many years in most of the province. Seen lots of bears, coyotes, and wolves -- but no kitties. Every once in a while there's an encounter, or someone gets jumped.

I keep my bear spray handy, but don't want a gun. You legally can't carry it in very many places anyway. Far too heavy, and far too dangerous (for me, I'd probably shoot myself). But in Alaska, maybe I'd see it differently.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.