Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mdsh00
Topic Author

McCain Gets Endorsement From Daddy Yankee

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:48 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/08/25/mccains-yankee-doodle-daddy/

Really?? Daddy Yankee??

I think what's more funny is how his lyrics are definitely not very appropriate, definitely not "Middle American Republican values." These quotes are priceless:

Quote:
Many in the press corps joked about the intersection of the song (with its lyrics, when translated into English, are: “She likes gasoline,” he says. “Give me more gasoline!” a woman responds) and McCain’s energy policy. In fact, Washington Wire is told the phrase has nothing to do with the traditional meaning of gasoline.

Um, gasoline in this song refers to...ahem, man juice.

Quote:
McCain aide Brooke Buchanan said “Gasolina” was McCain’s “favorite.”

I didn't know McCain liked to get some @ss on the side. Not to mention that song is just irritating with it's single beat and moaning women.

Oh, and one of his songs, "Gangsta Zone" ends with a translated phrase that says "Take over the United States."

Is this McCain's way of reaching out to the young and Hispanic? I don't know but a pretty bad choice to actively seek out support from.

[Edited 2008-08-25 15:51:51]

Superfly

RE: McCain Gets Endorsement From Daddy Yankee

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:49 pm

I've never even heard of Daddy Yankee.  confused 
Bring back the Concorde

mdsh00
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
I've never even heard of Daddy Yankee.

He's well known among young people and especially the Hispanic community.

McCain couldn't have tried harder to shoot himself in the foot, because stuff like this makes him look bad to his conservative base, who will soon figure this out and find out that Gasolina is PR slang for "Sperm" and not Energy Independence. Not to mention he presents a Puerto Rican as an example of his immigration policy.

Regardless I think it was a lame attempt for him him to show he's cool too, and makes his "Obama is a Celebrity" a little less credible when he goes out to court their endorsement.

Moose135

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:18 pm

I thought you were talking about George Steinbrenner  Wow!
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

johnboy

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:08 am

A bit of a boneheaded move by McCain because I doubt it's really going to help with gain traction with any "youth" or Hispanic groups and will only hurt him with the angry white voters to see him associated with a "thuggish" CELEBRITY (*ahem*).

Maybe he just wanted to compare notes with Daddy Yankee -- i'm sure McCain has pumped a lot of "gasolina" in his lifetime.  Big grin

chepos

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:11 am

Never been a fan, less now.
Daddy Yankee is not the smartest cookie around, for Gods sakes he sings a song about Gasoline.

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

miamix707

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:28 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Thread starter):
Is this McCain's way of reaching out to the young and Hispanic? I don't know but a pretty bad choice to actively seek out support from.

It just shows McCain is simply just a typical politician who will resort to whatever means to get votes.

Let's face it, while being black and having a Muslim name automatically puts him at a disadvantage, Obama is a formidable candidate. McCain is just desperate because he's running against someone who's well spoken, smart, and who sincerely cared about the welfare of his community before becoming a politician.

I think both Republican tactics of saying Obama isn't eperienced enough and that he's really an uncercover Muslim are getting old.

While I think McCain was doing things right until now, I'm not sure this is a good move. And although it might possibly help him get some of the youth vote, the idea of McCain liking this music is somewhat funny.and not too convincing.

dragon-wings

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:59 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
I've never even heard of Daddy Yankee.

I never heard of him either.

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 3):
I thought you were talking about George Steinbrenner

Thats who I thought of when I saw the title of the thread.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

asuflyer05

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:22 am

Dah-Dee-Jank-Eh.

filler.

KPDX

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:12 am

PSA727

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Celebrity endorsements hold little value, if any.

In regards to Daddy Yankee's style and lyrics, I'm sure some of Obama's
celebrity endorsements come from people who've said worse things.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 2):
Not to mention he presents a Puerto Rican as an example of his immigration policy.

What does this mean? Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory...No passport required.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

SlamClick

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 6):
Let's face it, while being black and having a Muslim name automatically puts him at a disadvantage

I've been waiting for my friends from the extreme right to start emailing me with
warnings about "Obama Bin Biden"  rotfl 

I know these guys - it is coming.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

tsaord

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:31 pm

Long live Reggaaeton!!!

Gasolina! hehehehehehehehehehehe. This campaign just screams awkward!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

SlamClick

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:24 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 12):
This campaign just screams awkward!

Picture Doctor Evil: "I'm hip! I'm cool! Tocka Tocka Tocka Tocka whoa-uh!"
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

miamix707

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:22 am

I think both Obama and McCain are good candidates (with a whole bunch of flaws also)

But what the hell are they thinking? I don't know if I'd call that music, but Obama trying to get the ghetto black vote by using "Young Buck" as representative simply shows the youth in this country are screwed up, and the politicians don't get any better.

RJdxer

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:38 am

I don't know but a pretty bad choice to actively seek out support from.

Where did say in the story that McCain "actively sought out his support"? If the guy had shown up and McCain had told him to get out or just ignored him what tune would you be singing now?

Just another lame attempt to paint him as bad for acknowledging support from someone who evidently likes his polices despite how well his music is received.

If you're basing your vote on whom some singer votes for, then you've got some soul searching to do.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Charles79

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:51 pm

I didn't know McCain liked to get some @ss on the side

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

I actually find this all amusing, and it brings a little comic relief to a campaign season that is being taking way too seriously. So what if Daddy Yankee endorses McCain, big deal. I sincerely hope that my fellow Americans will select their president based on his qualifications and not on how much "gasoline" they get!

As for Daddy Yankee, I don't particularly listen to him but my mum (who lives in Puerto Rico) tells me that he's actually very well liked by everyone and he keeps himself clean. Further, he has multiple charity organizations and projects going on so I guess an endorsement from him couldn't be such a bad thing. I can think of dozens of other celebrities that could do real harm to a candidate.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 2):
Not to mention he presents a Puerto Rican as an example of his immigration policy.

Not sure what you mean by this...you do realize that PR is a US territory and Puerto Ricans are US citizens by birth. Thousands of 'Ricans have fought and died in wars on behalf of the US (WWI onwards to Iraq/WoT), a few serve in Congress, and many occupy plenty of positions that contribute to this nation (teaching in colleges, as professionals, etc). If by your comment you imply that McCain wants all immigrants to become productive US citizens as countless 'Ricans have become then what's wrong with that?

mdsh00
Topic Author

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 16):
Not sure what you mean by this...you do realize that PR is a US territory and Puerto Ricans are US citizens by birth.

I'm very well aware of that. Just saying that it's a little bit different because their immigration issues are next to nothing compared to an actual immigrant.