MCOflyer
Topic Author

Kids Or No Kids

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:29 am

Do any of you who are single and do not have kids want kids or do not want kids? I agree kids can be a blessing as my niece is one herself but thinking long term, what do you want? For now; I do not want kids. My reasons are mainly genetic. My parents respect this and so does the rest of my family.

I have one sister who can carry on the family legacy if she desires.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

N776AU

RE: Kids Or No Kids

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:44 am

I have no desire to have children. I really just don't like little kids. For some reason they really test my patience, which is unusual because you really have to push my buttons to irritate me. I can't put my finger on why, but I just don't like them.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

ajd1992

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:45 am

I don't want kids. I don't hate kids (and at the risk of sounding like a total wannabe SAS23 here ), I rather like them, I just wouldn't want my own. I don't have a problem with them, just having an upbringing like mine (wasn't easy, wasn't hard by "ghetto" standards by any means but in my last 16 years, 2 of my grandparents died, my mother died and my nan had a stroke. I was also diagnosed with dyspraxia. While it's not physically disabling in the sense that I needed a wheelchair etc, it made my life more difficult and incredibly frustrating).

Being a kid that can't cut straight, use a pencil sharpener (that was mainly down to my left handedness though), forgets something he did 30 seconds ago and can't run or write properly, It's fvcking frustrating. Hell, you tell me to go upstairs, get a pen, pencil and ruler and I WILL forget one of them. It's just something I have to (unfortunately) live with.

I do have an incredibly good long term memory, though. By that I mean I can remember learning to walk (and i'm honestly not shitting you guys on that, I can remember being in my grandma's front room clinging to the sofa trying to walk)

It's not something I would want to see my kids have to suffer through either, considering how pissed off I got with it. And how much people have mocked me for it once they found out I couldn't tie my shoes till i was about 9, or swim till i was 8. My parents thought it was sheer laziness and stubbornness - It wasn't. It was the fact I couldn't physically do it. And it's also genetic, neither of my parents showed the symptoms of it but doesn't mean to say they carried the inactive gene. Also, cancer is extremely rife in the men in my family, so another reason not to have kids.

Sorry for the essay, but not wanting kids isn't something you just say then don't explain 

[Edited 2008-08-25 18:46:30]

stratosphere

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:52 am

Quoting N776AU (Reply 2):
I have no desire to have children. I really just don't like little kids. For some reason they really test my patience, which is unusual because you really have to push my buttons to irritate me. I can't put my finger on why, but I just don't like them.

I feel the same way...Funny I am glad my parents didn't feel that way..LOL. However, in my younger years I really wanted it..I was hoping to find the right woman and settle down..But now approaching 45 I really do not have the desire to want kids and like yourself my patience at this point is pretty slim..My friends have young children and my girfriend has young grandchildren. We both enjoy them but I am glad at the end of the day to send them back to their respective parents..

[Edited 2008-08-25 19:01:34]

Superfly

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:52 am

I would like to have kids.
Children can be wonderful little people and yes parenting can be fun but I also know it's a lot of hard work to.
My only dilemma is the 'wife' part.
I am in no way ready to settle down.
I am having way too much fun being single.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

san747

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:10 am

I would love to have kids... BUT-

-2 max... the only exception is if the first 2 don't produce a son, I will try for a third. No matter what the 3rd kid turns out to be, they will be the last.
-Not before I'm 30-ish. I want to be established in my life, career, and have time to get to know a woman in a long-term relationship/engagement before I have kids.

And before anyone gives me crap... I'm so intent on having a son because I am Alexander Nicholas McKnight III. Therefore I am obligated to continue the line and produce the ANM the 4th! Big grin
Scotty doesn't know...

kiwiinoz

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:16 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
My reasons are mainly genetic.

How do you mean?

I need to have kids. Someone has to look after me when I'm dribbling and incoherent in my wheelchair.

whappeh

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:21 am

I hate children. I can't stand to be around them. They cost too much money in the long run too. Thats a lot of spotting trips that get put on the back burner because I want to have a baby... that ain't cool.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:34 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 6):

How do you mean?

Most of my family has disorders like Bi-polar, Autism and so on.

Hunter

Kunoichi

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 am

How do you mean?

Hunter has Asperger Syndrome, which is a form of autism and can be passed on to children. Both my parents have it, and as a result, I do too - and I definitely understand Hunter's reasoning!

Asperger's is only one of many genetic illnesses on my part - I have frequent migraines as well, which I might or might not pass on to my children - as well as Endometriosis, heart problems and a vulnerability to depression. All of this, save for the heart problem (which is also genetic) I got from my mom, and I'd never wish any of my ailments upon a child .

I'd love to have children someday - I really want to, and I absolutely love kids. But I wouldn't want to risk passing all this on to a kid, and I'm not sure I'd be a good parent either as I'm often sick, so unless I get a man who somehow manages to talk me into having my own, I think I'll remain without kids - at least, kids that are biologically mine. It's always been my dream to adopt a korean child - they're absolutely beautiful  cheerful  (most other children are too, no matter their nationality... I just have a thing for korean babies).
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

CanadianNorth

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:42 am

I don't mind having kids around at all, but in all honesty rather than having my own I'd rather go outside and play with my toys (sleds, bikes, tools, beer, the standard issue guy stuff) than have to look after (a) kid(s). Hey, honesty points for me! That and the world is going to hell anyway  Wink

Basically I don't mind kids, but I'd rather spend my limited time and earned money on enjoying my life than adding another hungry, whining, polluting person to the world. No problems with other people having of kids, I'm just saying it aint my idea of fun, and I view life as "if I'm not going to have fun then why should I bother".

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

ACDC8

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:47 am

Kids can be great, but I'm just not the parent type, so no kids for me.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:58 am

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 9):

Hunter has Asperger Syndrome, which is a form of autism and can be passed on to children. Both my parents have it, and as a result, I do too - and I definitely understand Hunter's reasoning!

Asperger's is only one of many genetic illnesses on my part - I have frequent migraines as well, which I might or might not pass on to my children - as well as Endometriosis, heart problems and a vulnerability to depression. All of this, save for the heart problem (which is also genetic) I got from my mom, and I'd never wish any of my ailments upon a child .

I'd love to have children someday - I really want to, and I absolutely love kids. But I wouldn't want to risk passing all this on to a kid, and I'm not sure I'd be a good parent either as I'm often sick, so unless I get a man who somehow manages to talk me into having my own, I think I'll remain without kids - at least, kids that are biologically mine. It's always been my dream to adopt a korean child - they're absolutely beautiful cheerful (most other children are too, no matter their nationality... I just have a thing for korean babies).

Spot on Kunoichi. I'd adopt but I won't till my future wife convinces me otherwise.

Hunter

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:00 am

I am probably going to get bashed but I feel safe knowing I won't have kids anytime soon. Can anyone guess why?

Hunter

tz757300

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:08 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 13):

I am probably going to get bashed but I feel safe knowing I won't have kids anytime soon. Can anyone guess why?

You can't produce sperm?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:11 am

TZ, fly's going to kill me but I am getting clipped in a couple weeks. My family fully supports my decision and I didn't think of it till my mom suggested it.

Hunter

YYZflyer

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:18 am

Can anyone guess why?

You got snipped?

I don't know whether I want kids at the moment. I'm only 17 so I have lots of time to decide. I guess seeing them grow from birth would be fun...and tiring. I've had people tell me it's worth having them. Part of me wants them, but the other part doesn't cuz it will ruin my travel plans.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 am

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 16):

You got snipped?

It was my moms idea.

Hunter

KAUST

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:24 am

Hunter

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 15):
TZ, fly's going to kill me but I am getting clipped in a couple weeks. My family fully supports my decision and I didn't think of it till my mom suggested it.

Hunter

I may get bashed myself here, but, you know, Hunter, I'd officially formulated an opinion that you are one of the, if not the, most respectable guys on here. To live with what you do, and have to be able those tough decisions, is highly admirable. I myself have a mental illness, and wonder what it may do to an offspring. Keep that head up, buddy! Keep truckin' on! (Or should I say, "boatin' on"?  Smile
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:31 am

Quoting KAUST (Reply 18):

I may get bashed myself here, but, you know, Hunter, I'd officially formulated an opinion that you are one of the, if not the, most respectable guys on here. To live with what you do, and have to be able those tough decisions, is highly admirable. I myself have a mental illness, and wonder what it may do to an offspring. Keep that head up, buddy! Keep truckin' on! (Or should I say, "boatin' on"?

Well I find that when I make decisions that do not penalize others makes me happy. Yes I have made mistakes but I live on. My family is my hero for all this. I would like to write about my life and be a motivational speaker. Btw, I do all as boating and trucking runs in my vanes. Plus humor is a must. Thanks.  Smile

Hunter

An-225

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:32 am

I don't want any either. Don't want to have them, don't want to be around them. I consider myself child-free.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

KAUST

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:36 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 19):
Well I find that when I make decisions that do not penalize others makes me happy. Yes I have made mistakes but I live on. My family is my hero for all this. I would like to write about my life and be a motivational speaker. Btw, I do all as boating and trucking runs in my vanes. Plus humor is a must. Thanks. Smile

You are quite welcome, sir. There is a syndicated cartoon, you may have heard of it, called "One Big Happy"? There is a strip recently where one girl spilled her drink all over another girl. The second girl reassured the first, saying "I don't get angry. I move forward." Always a welcomed ability in humankind. Sounds like you are mastering it quite well.
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:38 am

Quoting KAUST (Reply 21):
Sounds like you are mastering it quite well.

It's easy. when things don't go your way, you find a way. Can't is never in my vocab.

Hunter

Superfly

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:39 am

fly's going to kill me but I am getting clipped in a couple weeks.

HUH?!?!  confused 
Bring back the Concorde

Fly2HMO

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:47 am

I definitely don't want any at the moment. I got a pretty bad scare once with my ex, had an "accident", ran out got the plan B pill, luckily nothing came of that not too mention that , had we conceived, I'd be a broke dad and she would have been, (and probably will be) a terrible mom.

I definitely want kids, no more or less than 2. Hopefully before I'm 40.

I haven't bothered really having any relationships so I'd really like to enjoy some plenty of alone time with Mrs. right (if I even have one) before I start having kids.

asuflyer05

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:55 am

I go back and forth on the issue. But I think I'll end up having kids. I'd love to be able to take my kids to baseball games and to see the world. I'm sure I won't be expecting any soon, but I see it in the future.

I need to have kids. Someone has to look after me when I'm dribbling and incoherent in my wheelchair.

I'm looking forward to having my children wipe me after I dump in my Depends.

fly's going to kill me but I am getting clipped in a couple weeks.

Aroo?

HAWK21M

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:26 am

I'm a Dad....Trust me, after age Three.....kids are fun.
I get an excuse to enjoy my self with the kids on sundays outdoors.
They have a fantastic world & its a real stress buster  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

desertjets

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:13 pm

When I was younger I was largely ambivalent to having kids. However as I have gotten older my opinion has really changed. I think in large part due to the existence of my now 5 year old niece and 3 year old nephew. Even though I see them every couple of months or so they still amaze me, seeing how much they grow and develop. The little buggers are always full of surprises and the love they give is unconditional, just as long as you are level and honest with them. It is like having a dog that can have a conversation with.

And the being in a serious relationship has been the other major change factor. Prior to that kids were pretty much an abstraction. Even though the GF and I don't plan on having a family for several more years it is much more REAL. Hell they all have names even.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

JJJ

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Not for the moment, we planned having kids by our early 30s but guess what, our early 30s are here and we don't feel we have time enough or settled enough to have kids and give them a correct upbringing. Today's world isn't a very encouraging place to have kids on, anyway.

By the time we can, we'll probably be too old, so we are looking at the prospect of either not having kids or adoption of older kids later on.

MadameConcorde

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:48 pm

Life made it that I had no children. I don't see that it's good or bad, just the way it is. I would still adopt a few if the money was there. I would hire au-pairs for in-house help and would take care of the educational side myself. I would make sure that they don't become too materialistic. Also I would teach them all about planes and take them on spotting trips in various airports around the world.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Revelation

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Very interesting thread.

I'm glad people give it some thought.

It seems far too often, it "just happens".

I was married from my late 20s to early 40s. I'm glad I didn't have kids with her. I'm sure she and I would have clashed on every aspect of raising the poor thing. Our relationship had its plusses and its minuses, but I'm pretty sure a kid would have brought things crashing down earlier than it did otherwise, and the end result would be some pretty unhappy kids, wondering why daddy and mommy can't get along.

I guess if I regret anything, I regret not being with the right person at the right time. Since that didn't happen, the rest is moot.

Sometimes I wonder if our western culture has it all wrong. It seems eastern cultures have arranged marrages and the two people are put together at a relatively early age with the one purpose of being a family and having children, instead of "love", "romance", etc. Some of those things turn out poorly, but most of the people I've meet seem to be pretty happy, if not particularly in love with their spouses. Funny enough, most of the western couples I know end up in that state after ten or so years of marrage. As usual, I'm on the sidelines, taking it all in, and trying to make some sense of it.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Stokes

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:49 pm

Don't have kids until you meet the one you want to have kids with. Sounds self-evident, but you'd be surprised how many people mess this sequence up.

After the first three years (diapers and drool), its all great. I spent last weekend teaching my 12 year old son to gas weld. How great was that? More fun than anything I did when young and single, and trust me, I did A LOT when I was young and single.

And please, who's gonna pay for our pensions? The most significant contribution to the world you can reasonably expect to make is to raise good kids who will be good adults. Most childless people aren't going to be curing cancer in that time they saved on childcare, after all...

cytz_pilot

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:04 pm

I think it's great when people realize that they don't want kids - because I've experienced many parents who should have realized that fact BEFORE they had kids.

That said, I enjoy everything about being a father to my son, who is 2 1/2. I actually am surprised that there were 2 comments that just shrugged off the first 3 years. Believe me, diapers, long nights and terrible twos pale in comparison to seeing a person develop from totally dependent on others to walking, talking, asking questions...

When I'm on A.net, if he's around I'll do a photo search, and he'll sit on my lap and tell me exactly what planes or helicopters he wants to see - blue plane, yellow helicopter...

SlamClick

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 pm

I used to belive that if a person was likely to transmit genetic difficulties and because of that they chose not to have children of their own that was very commendable. That they would sacrifice the benefits perceived from continuing your own bloodline in order not to inflict congenital maladies on yet another generation was altruistic to the point of being heroic. However, as I grew rapidly older and slowly wiser I began to ponder what good and positive things such people might pass on, along with the abnormalities. Frankly, I'm glad the parents of some folks I know did elect to roll the genetic dice yet another round. We have any number of members on here with congenital problems that are (from an outsider's point of view) vastly outweighed by the good things they bring.

I respect anyone's decision not to have children. Reproduction is one of the most basic human rights, but it isn't exactly an obligation to do so. It appears that China's population has increased by nearly half a BILLION since the "one child" law took effect. Imagine they had not enacted such a law!

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 1):
By that I mean I can remember learning to walk

Not very common but it does happen and it appears to be genetic. My mother and I both remembered our own infancy, as does my daughter, but my son does not. I clearly recall things that happened when I was less than two years old and remember almost everything that has happened around me since I was about four or five. Relatives ten, even twenty years older than I will ask me about details.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
I am having way too much fun being single.

Thank you for carrying the torch, on behalf of those who have had to retire from the field.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
Children can be wonderful little people

Quoting N776AU (Reply 2):
I really just don't like little kids

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 7):
I hate children. I can't stand to be around them

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 9):
and I absolutely love kids

Unless you are a nursing mother it is not normal to "like" kids. In the first place the very noun only describes a temporary state in human life, and in the second place it's not a very good state. If you are a nursing mother you will get over liking kids by the time they are teenagers. Mrs Click and I never wanted "kids" we wanted offspring. That's what we got. They have now been adults longer than they were ever "kids" and that points up the illusory nature of wanting "kids" - they don't stay kids. You can't go to the pet store and buy a "puppy" You rent the puppy but you buy the dog. I't's going to be a dog far longer than it is going to be a puppy. Make the decision at least in part, based on that fact.

Kids are just half-baked human beings. If you really do "hate" them, then I'd suspect that you have issues with other adults as well. On the other hand, if you really "love" them, I'm suspicious of that as well.

Don't count on it.

Quoting San747 (Reply 5):
And before anyone gives me crap... I'm so intent on having a son because I am Alexander Nicholas McKnight III. Therefore I am obligated to continue the line and produce the ANM the 4th!

In general I don't think much of gender preference when you are having a baby. There's good and bad about both and ANY culture that favors one over the other is something less than civilized.

However, I do understand your interest. That is pretty cool. While the numerals have no real meaning in the USA, it is still neat to be able to do that. My oldest brother is Lee Harvey Click IV, (not his real name) and his grandson, now a teenager is L.H. Click VI. If he only lives to be 70 there will have been a L.H. Click around the county for 231 years. I think that sort of continuity is really cool.

Not enough to name my own son after me though. What kind of name is Slam anyway?
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:13 pm

If I marry someone who has a kid, that kid better behave; however I realize that kids act when little but throwing tantroms at 9 is redundant. I speak my mind and am not hesitant to do so when situations dictate otherwise.

Hunter

ShyFlyer

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:28 pm

There was a time that, when asked, I'd have said absolutely not to the idea of having children. I felt increadibly awkward around them. Plus, I didn't feel like I'd be a good father anyway. That was during my late teens, so children shouldn't have been one of my top concerns anyway.

By the time my mid-twenties rolled around, I still hadn't warmed to the idea of fatherhood. I was still awakward around them (Yes, I'm sure the invisible flying puppy is nice, now go play with someone else, would ya?). I did, however, accept the fact the the right woman would change my mind.

Now, all of that has changed. I'm not quite as awkward around kids, though the youngest I now work with is 13. I actually find myself looking forward to becoming a father, some day. I am definitely in no hurry, mind you. It will happen in good time though, I'm sure.

What I have yet to explain is that when I think of having kids, I'm almost positive that they will be twin girls. Twins don't run in my family, not even fraternal twins. Maybe its a clue as to who the future Mrs. ShyFlyer will be?
I lift things up and put them down.

SlamClick

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 34):
tantroms at 9

1. It is a mistake to assume that a child is emotionally stable and "adult" at 9.

2. Disciplinary action has NOTHING to do with a child annoying you. It is about correcting their behaviour for their own good. Anything else is ABUSE.

3. Any adult should be able to control an 80 pound child without violence. Hint: They have to know you mean it and the realistic threat of a spanking is more effective than the actual deed. Telling a child to "stop that" ten times clearly informs them that being told to stop will happen at least ten times before compliance is expected. Your words to children mean almost nothing - it is all about consistency in your actions.

pawsleykat

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:11 pm

I'd like to have children one day
But only once I'm in a stable job and relationship; if not married  Smile

I often find the children of strangers to be incredibly annoying, especially if they make loud noise in a confined space; e.g a bus or a shop. That at one point put me off children until my little cousin and I started having the relationship we do.
Lachlan is 3 and although he can be annoying at times (hell, i find everyone annoying at certain times), I find him much easier to deal with if he throws a tantrum or starts screaming. That changed my mind on having kids.

I'll have kids one day, but that's not gonna be for a while yet  Smile

JG  Yeah sure
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

OzarkD9S

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:19 pm

Don't have any, don't want any.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

egmcman

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:55 pm

I'm single at the moment and don't think much of the women who live near where I am currently living. Unless I meet a woman with children from previous relationship I can't see anything changing but anything is possible. My parents are anti kids although they live in Spain and I live and work in England.

I meet and see kids who come to do their work experience with us in the office the majority I would have no problem with.

airtrainer

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Don't have any and don't want any as well. I've never wanted a kid, most of the people I know don't understand but I really don't mind, I think it's better than having some and not being able to grow them properly. Of course I don't have any lesson to teach but it's just my opinion. Don't know why but I just don't like them and feel really uncomfortable with them... However, I live with a woman who has a 12yo boy, he's now full time with us since a few months and it's getting more and more difficult  banghead 
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Cadet57

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:37 pm

My girlfriend and I decided we want kids. Not, however, until she's atleast almost done with school and Im already done and established in my career. So we've decided about 3-4 years. We also decided for 2 kids, but we'll see how one works  biggrin 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Kunoichi

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:50 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 33):
On the other hand, if you really "love" them, I'm suspicious of that as well.

I'm a 22 year old girl/woman who HAS been pregnant - and the hormones really does change stuff even if the pregnancy didn't get very far - even if it's two years ago. I didn't really want to have children back then. But afterwards, it's been a strong wish - but I also realize it'd be a bit selfish with all the sh*t I can pass on, so when I can't have my own, I take all the time I can get to be around others' - and I do love the kids and being around them.

A lot of people DO feel something in regards to children, especially if when they're of an age where it's normal to reproduce - either they like/love kids or they dislike them (hate is a little strong however...) - and I know heaps of people who love children who aren't suspicious at all! Unless you're reading faaaar too much into "love" and assume it's the "pedophilic" way, which I'd find pretty offensive to be accused of - because that's certainly not what I meant! I love to be around children - it makes me happy. They're innocent, honest and adorable, and I find it hard not to love that about them. It's not the same love I'd give to a partner/spouse, but still - I love animals too, but I'm certainly not into bestiality!

If it's not normal to like kids unless you're a nursing mother, why do people become caretakers in daycare centers and so on? It's certainly not the money, and I'd certainly HOPE they like kids if they work with them!
And when a woman adopts, she usually doesn't nurse either, but she can still genuinely love the baby... that's not really suspicious either, is it?

I'd really hope the fathers of the world love their kids too! I wouldn't find that suspicious... in fact, I'd find it suspicious if they didn't!
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

A332

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:01 am

I notice the negative responses on kids come from those who are on the younger side of the scale, and that's to be expected. I never wanted kids either, in fact, I was real 'anti-children' for most of my life...

Then one day it all changed... you stop thinking about yourself and start wanting to have other people in your life. One key to success is remembering that you no longer come first, your child does.

If you are selfish and self-absorbed, kids are not for you.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

austinairport

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:37 am

When I'm Older. I would love to have kids... but no more than two. I would like a boy and a girl.
I want the boy to be older than the girl.  Smile
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

ANITIX87

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:01 am

want kids or do not want kids?

I. Cannot. Wait. To. Have. Kids.

That's not to say I'm trying to get someone pregnant now. I will definitely wait until I am settled down and married.

This desire to have kids, however, stems from my atheism and my lack of belief in fate or the afterlife. I have believe unconditionally and solely in the use of science and technology to help the world so to me, procreation is the reason we're here. Not to make money, not to shove drugs down our throats to live as long as possible, but to accumulate as much knowledge as possible while pursuing what we love, to love as best we know how, and then sharing the love with someone special and passing our knowledge to our offspring so they may expand on it and better the world we bring them into.

It's funny, re-reading that, it sounds quite spiritual. Which seems to contradict my atheism. I guess that's thanks to my past religious zeal when I was younger.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

SlamClick

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:38 am

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 42):

When I wrote that paragraph I was really thinking about men who "love children" and when I said "suspicious" the pedophile angle was present but also just the sort of things guys will say to make themselves appealing to women. I'm a sensitive guy (who will leave the toilet seat up EVERY TIME) who loves children (but will buy a sports car or a pickup because it can't have an infat seat) and so on...

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 42):
why do people become caretakers in daycare centers and so on?

I have no idea. First; questions that begin with "why" are beyond the scope of this discussion and second, I know one woman who has spent a lifetime caring for dying people and from everything else I know about her I believe she does it to make herself feel better: SHE isn't incontinent. SHE isn't senile. SHE doesn't dribble food down her front, and ultimately SHE didn't die. Of course not everyone who is a caregiver is like that but she does prove to me that bad motives can exist for good work and that we should probably accept her help because no one is fighting for a place in line to take her place.

Don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed my children at all stages of their lives, even the teen years. My greatest pleasure just now is that my name is just about the first word my grandson spoke - before "mama" even. It is heartwarming to see his eyes light up when he sees me, and a delight to introduce him to the wonders of the world around him, even it that is no more than the neighbor's horses or the books in my den. I always changed diapers, and never considered my time with the kids as "babysitting" but just "they are with dad now" But read the puppy comparison - I never wanted children I wanted sons and daughters and grandkids and the sense that the heritage my wife and I knew would continue. Diapers and skateboards and ballgames and annoying friends and delightful friends just all came along with that.

Euclid

Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:45 am

Okay, maybe time I tell my story here. I was also of the kind that never wanted kids. My girlfriend and I met in 2001, and we were together until some issues between us drove us apart in the middle of 2006.

She then started going out with some guy she met on the bus she used to take to work in the mornings, but she ditched him later on after he became abusive (hitting her, choking her etc.). We then came together again and only afterwards did we find out she was pregnant. The pregnancy was too far gone for it to could have been mine, but I decided to stick with her and raise the child as my own.

She was born on the 12th of September 2007 and is now almost one year old. As a person that never liked babies it took me a while to get used to the whole situation, and I can assure you it would have been the same even if it was my own child.

Now that she's developing a personality she's great fun to have around the house, and I can only imagine it getting better. All of my family are crazy about her, and my mom is completely ga-ga about her.

Do I now want children of my own? The answer is a big NO. I told my girlfriend to enjoy every moment of the little one's life, because there's no way there will be a next one. Having been through it once, I just can't stand the thought of going through all those sleepless nights of the first few months again.

As ANCFlyer also once said in a previous thread, I basically hate all children except mine. Babies still disgust me and most children irritate the hell out of me, with a few exceptions of some well-mannered kids I've come across. Unfortunately kids with manners seems to be a dying breed these days.

SmithAir747

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:59 pm

I probably will not have kids of my own...for very good (genetic) reasons.

1) The simplest reason---I'm single, and will stay like that for the foreseeable future. I may very well get buried before I get married!  Wink

2) Most importantly--I have a serious, rare genetic disorder (Treacher Collins syndrome). An autosomal dominant disorder, it gives me a 50% chance of passing it onto the next generation. It also gets worse with each succeeding generation (this is called genetic anticipation). Not to mention the medical complications that come with craniofacial anomalies, including serious respiratory (and likely future cardiac) complications, which I deal with. I don't even know what my expected lifespan is (people have asked me that).

But I don't dislike children either. With my craniofacial anomalies, I am involved with Children's Craniofacial Association, who hold an annual Cher's Family Retreat. At this retreat, I meet so many children with facial anomalies like mine. These children are so dear to my heart--some even consider me a father figure (because I've grown up with the same challenges). So in a way, I could say that these ARE "my children"!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:56 am

Kids have fantastic Ideas....& amusing talk......Their thinking is so simple.....Hearing a kid talk is fun alone....
Remember the series "Kids say the darnest things"
 Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)