Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BA
Topic Author

Can Anyone Identify This Antique Ford?

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:52 pm

When I went to Alaska in July, I spotted this antique Ford next to a black Ford Model T in Fort Seward.

Can anyone identify what model it is?

Thanks.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

N1120A

RE: Can Anyone Identify This Antique Ford?

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:00 pm

That car looks like it is from the era in which Fords were named for the year in which they were made. It is probably just called a '## Ford
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dtwclipper

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:13 pm

Quoting BA (Thread starter):
Can anyone identify what model it is?

That would be a Model "A"
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

falstaff

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 2):

That would be correct!
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Dougloid

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:51 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
That car looks like it is from the era in which Fords were named for the year in which they were made. It is probably just called a '## Ford

That's absurd, even for you. Fords were never named for the year they were made in.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

dtwclipper

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:52 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 3):

That would be correct!

I guess there are a few good things about being from Detroit!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

N1120A

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 4):

That's absurd, even for you. Fords were never named for the year they were made in.

Oops is all I can say  Wink
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BA
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 3):
That would be correct!

Thanks a lot. Certainly a beautiful vehicle.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

SlamClick

Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:33 am

Back in about 1960 or so "Ford Times" magazine had an article about a guy finding a treasure trove of Model A and even Model T fords in Alaska. He used to drive past this old garage on his way to go fishing and noticed that it had a very old, faded Ford dealership sign. One day he stopped to check it out and that finally led to his purchase of the place. It was said that in addition to complete unsold cars or cars taken back in on trade, there were enough parts in stock to built a few more. I wonder if this might be one of them.

In the town where I grew up there was a garage that, over the years had been a dealership for Ford, Maxwell, Plymouth and Studebaker. There were boxes of unused Model T parts in the back, still wrapped in oiled paper - frame crossmembers, steering gear, even nickel-plated "T" hubcaps. No happy ending here, though. One day he cleaned up and hauled it all to the dump, which was burned before the local restorers found out what had happened.

The yellow and the brown were both factory colors I believe, but these appear a bit brighter than I picture them.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Dougloid

Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:08 am

I may be showing my age, but when I was a kid we'd see the occasional old geezer driving a clapped out Model A around town...they usually were given endearing names by their owners.

My old man's Model A that he commuted to Curtiss Wright in Woodridge during the war with was affectionately named Gravel Gertie. The mechanical brakes'd freeze up in the winter which made it hard to stop sometimes. Gravel Gertie went away after the war and he had a 37 coupe named the Black Widow. Of course, mother learned to drive a Studebaker Dictator so she was above anything from Ford, but my father was a poor Florida cracker who knew that anything from Ford beat walking.

I was in the front seat of the Black Widow when my uncle piled it up on a bridge abutment in Fort Lee, New Jersey because he was looped as usual...I guess I was about 2 at the time and I remember it all pretty well. After that the old man started driving new Fords and never looked back.

Once you hear one, you'll never forget the exhaust note. Fact is, I saw a dude driving a Model A sedan last week, out for a drive.

I've always wanted a pickup myself. You can get 25 mpg and do 60 mph all day if you have a mind to.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

TSS

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 9):
I've always wanted a pickup myself. You can get 25 mpg and do 60 mph all day if you have a mind to.

Although with minimalist mechanical brakes AND a pickup truck's natural forward weight bias, stopping on anything but perfectly dry pavement would probably be something of an adventure.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

glydrflyr

Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:31 am

I suspect that this car was "molested" at some time. The changes obviously included the sealed beam headlights which were unknown in 1928-31, when the A series cars were built. Also, the parking lights, which were mounted on the cowl just below the curve of the top of the hood are missing, probably incorporated into the new headlights. Wonder if the mods included hydraulic brakes?
if ya gotta crash, hit something soft and cheap!