Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

petertenthije

RE: The Most Addicting Food

Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:00 pm

English curry
Drop (Dutch style liquirice, don't care for the English liquirice allsorts)
Ben & Jerry's, shame it's so expensive

LTU932

Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:12 pm

A Magnum. I could eat a Magnum for hours, though unfortunately, since Heartbrand and Unilever have basically forgotten the ice cream market in Costa Rica, I can't get any.

http://www.tursa.franken.de/pics/roll_magnum7sins.jpg

And also, most of the stuff distributed under the German "Heartbrand" of Langnese. God, I miss Langnese down here, especially because of what they offered over 10 years or so ago...

Dougloid

Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:29 pm

[

Quoting Acho (Reply 31):
Also potato chips. Here in Mexico instead of "Lays" they are called "Sabritas". The slogan for these potato chips is "A que no te puedes comer solo una", which translated to "You can't eat just one"

How about a guide to Mexican goodies? there's a great hispanic grocery a mile from me but I haven't a clue as to what most of the stuff is-just that people leaving with big bags of the stuff look very happy.

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 39):
They throw dark/light soy sauce, vegetables, beef and the long flat rice noodles into a hot wok, mix it around fast for a few seconds and out comes this. This dish is EPIC! No visit to the Chinese restaurant is complete without it. I make it at home but you need a very strong gas range to get the wok hot enough to really bring out the flavor like you get in the restaurant.

A good plate of lo mein is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. It's pretty near the top of my list. Yeah, I know, American style Chinese food really ain't, but this is as good as it gets...usually I get steamed rice on the side so I don't miss any of the gravy, and it's a good time to road test the won ton soup. I can do all this at my local Chinese takeout for about $7.50.

My favorite most addicting food item?

Jarritos, without a doubt. It is just the best damned soda pop in the world, bar none.

http://www.sidralmundet.com/jarritos.sstg

xpat

Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:32 pm

Peanut M&M's for me. Ashamed to admit that I have, on several occasions, finished off the pounder bag in one sitting.  ashamed 

KAUST

Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:12 pm

Mmmmmm...got another one: 7-Eleven donuts. All so mighty delicious. And yes, I am consuming some as I type this, LOL.  Wink

LTU932

Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:41 pm

As for something savoury (apart from Pasta), one of the things that I find most addictive but is mostly impossible to get, is a Pommes Rot-Weiß (basically fires with ketchup and mayonaise, and I mean the ones they make in Germany, which have always a special seasoning which doesn't exist here), a Döner, and a Currywurst (Hamburg/Ruhr-Area style, not the Berlin style because I never tried a Berliner Currywurst).

As for drinks, my choice is clear: Coca-Cola Classic! The original is always the best.

BAViscount

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:49 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 48):
Quoting BAViscount (Reply 18):
Mountain Dew is available in the UK

Its actually got an additive which is illegal for sale in this country, and is only available illegally imported (find it on ebay no problems:P)

Really?? Good lord! No wonder I have only ever found it in dodgy corner shops!!

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 48):
I'm addicted to kebabs - chicken, doner, lamb, whatever - we have a legendary kebab house nearby and i cant go a week without one or two at least.

Oh thank god I'm not alone!! Can't beat a good doner with chilli sauce and loads of salad...bladdered or not!! Big grin

YYZflyer

Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:23 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 23):
Arby's beef and cheddar

Ick, I work there and I don't like it. Can't stand the red ranch sauce.  vomit 

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 23):
Arby's chicken fingers (which arent on the menu anymore  Sad )

Come to Canada, we still have them.  Wink

I'm addicted to:

Special K vanilla almond cereal
Dark Chocolate
Mint Chocolate

I try not to eat too much chocolate, but If I get it I will eat it. I also used to eat 3 jumbo boxes of the Special K in 1 week  faint . I've cut it down to one per week.

Dougloid

Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:26 am

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 57):
I also used to eat 3 jumbo boxes of the Special K in 1 week . I've cut it down to one per week.

Good God, man. That shit'll kill you.

Wink

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:19 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 47):

MEL, what is the difference between Vada Pav and Pav Bhaji?

Pav Bhaji is a thick paste of Vegetables & spices,served with a lot of butter & eaten like a curry.
Vada pav is a potato mix which is more dry,like a burger.

regds
MEL

dlowwa

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:15 am

Onigiri...especially 鳥五目 kind.... basically chicken flavored rice balls you can buy at convenience stores in Japan. If anyone's living or visiting (or even just going through the airport in Narita) - Lawson's (common convenience store) has the best ones.

comorin

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 59):

Thanks! I will look out for Vada Pav on my next foray to Edison NJ, but I am sure it will be a poor imitation of what you get Out There. Sadly, mass production has pretty much bred out the taste in vegetables here. To find a decent Aloo-Gobi is impossible - you need eye-watering onions, tomatoes with plenty of acid, cauliflowers that are pungent - just not available in the market.

babybus

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Anything with monosodium glutimate and glucose-frustose syrup in it. I just can't stop munching. The more the better.  Silly

ThePRGuy

Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:43 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 56):
Oh thank god I'm not alone!! Can't beat a good doner with chilli sauce and loads of salad...bladdered or not!! Big grin

Had one of these bad boys just last night.

Kebab Elite, (local legendary kebab house) makes their own chilli sauce and it is delicious.

N1120A

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 pm

I find the little miniature Krackel and Mr. Goodbar one sees around Halloween and Christmas irresistible. Same with Hershey's Kisses.

Luckily most of my other food "addictions" are fruit related.

Quoting WESTERN737800 (Thread starter):
Doritios patato chips

Doritos are addictive, but they are not POtato chips, they are tortilla chips.

Quoting Navymmw (Reply 1):
I dont have a addicting food but I do have a addicting drink. Moutian Dew.

Ask Patrick/Sabena332 about his Mountain Dew Code Red issues.

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 9):

OH and how could I forget NUTELLA

How many jars a month Phil?

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 13):

Not really food, but I can eat a whole pack of the orange-flavoured jaffa-styled “Pim’s” cookies from Lefèvre-Utile.

My mother and uncle love Pim's. I personally think they are terrible.

Quoting N776AU (Reply 42):

Ah yes, those are good, but only the United branded ones  Wink

Quoting Xpat (Reply 53):
Peanut M&M's for me. Ashamed to admit that I have, on several occasions, finished off the pounder bag in one sitting.

I like those, but I am able to ration them.

Dougloid

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 63):
Kebab Elite, (local legendary kebab house) makes their own chilli sauce and it is delicious.

Red or green?

ThePRGuy

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 65):
Red or green?

Red - tomato and onion based and made fresh daily

BAViscount

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:01 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 66):

The best kebab chilli sauce that I've ever come across is in a place called 'Themis' in Battersea, south London (where I grew up). Theirs is neither red nor green, but pink...it's FAB!!!

Dougloid

Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:49 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 66):

Doesn't sound like red chile to me.

Course, you did say it was chilli, I think was the term. That's an entirely entirely different proposition.

You may gak at this but Walmart sells some pretty good canned red and green chile that's suitable for ordinary purposes. The green stuff's good on carnitas. One of my favoreets is chile colorado, which is small pieces of beef, boiled and then pan fried in red sauce accompanied by flour tortillas.

My local mexican restaurant sells a nice wet burrito that uses both red and green chile as a garnish.

Now that you have your marching orders, see you in Hatch, New Mexico. It's high season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexican_Food

diamond

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:58 am

For me, it's frozen grapes. I can eat them by the pound.

Alias1024

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:24 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 68):
Now that you have your marching orders, see you in Hatch, New Mexico. It's high season.

Nothing compares to the smell of roasting green chile.  cloudnine 

ThePRGuy

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:17 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 67):
Themis' in Battersea,

I have to drop a bunch of mac pros to there later this month so looks like I will be getting a doner :P

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 68):

Excellent, see you there!

Quoting Diamond (Reply 69):

Never even heard of that!

HAWK21M

Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 61):
Thanks! I will look out for Vada Pav on my next foray to Edison NJ, but I am sure it will be a poor imitation of what you get Out There

True....its the correct blend & type of spices/sauces/Veggies that make the difference.
regds
MEL

pnqiad

Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:23 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 61):
Thanks! I will look out for Vada Pav on my next foray to Edison NJ, but I am sure it will be a poor imitation of what you get Out There. Sadly, mass production has pretty much bred out the taste in vegetables here. To find a decent Aloo-Gobi is impossible - you need eye-watering onions, tomatoes with plenty of acid, cauliflowers that are pungent - just not available in the market.

Your best option (closest to Mumbai taste) is Dimple Fast Food on Oak Tree Rd. My trip to NJ never ends without a vada-pav from that place....

Dougloid

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Quoting PNQIAD (Reply 73):
Your best option (closest to Mumbai taste) is Dimple Fast Food on Oak Tree Rd. My trip to NJ never ends without a vada-pav from that place....

Amazing. I grew up near there (Metuchen) and the only Indian anyone'd heard of was a guy named Lakshmanan who worked for my father at Weston. I will have to earmark the place for a visit next time I'm in Jersey.

N1120A

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:42 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 71):

Never even heard of that!

Sticking grapes in the freezer and eating them? They are really good. The change in texture is really interesting.

luv2fly

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:46 pm

Quoting Xpat (Reply 53):
Peanut M&M's for me. Ashamed to admit that I have, on several occasions, finished off the pounder bag in one sitting.

I absolutely love and and all M&M's they are my weakness that is for sure.

BCAL

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:13 pm

Now I am insulin-dependant diabetic and I can go through the day starting with a healthy breakfast, a light lunch and a sensible dinner. But the very sight of chocolate drives me insane and I am addicted to either a Cadbury's Dairy Milk bar, Cadbury's Flake or Mars bar. So bad is my addiction that I make sure there is no chocolate in my home. However, when the TV adverts come on for chocolate, I have to rush off to the late night shop and grab a few bars, and suffer from the consequences.

I can do without cigarettes, alcohol, even sex (!) but I am lost without the comfort of chocolate. They should ban any advertisements for chocolate, just like they have banned cigarette advertisement.

(Gone off to buy a nice Cadbury Flake - yummy yummy!)

PSA53

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:17 pm

For me, it's Granny Goose ridges patato chips.I just can't stop eating them! Help!  crazy 

Superfly

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Chips & salsa for me.
Especially the spicy stuff!  hot 

HAWK21M

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:00 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 74):
guy named Lakshmanan

probably be Lakshman.
regds
MEL

ual757

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 pm

DONUTS!!!!

mmmm im so hungry right now

LASoctoberB6

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:42 pm

Cookies...by far....

planesarecool

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:53 pm

Definately chocolate bourbons. I can eat a whole packet at once and then still go back for more. There really is nothing better (or worse, if you like).

LASoctoberB6

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:13 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 5):
Jaffa Cakes.

Ohhhh, you mean Half Moons? I love those too!