Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Qb001
Topic Author

Cultural Differences - Europe Vs USA

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:02 pm

This is too much.

While the US is all stuned, amazed, concerned or worried about Sarah Palin's 17 year-old daughter's pregnancy, meanwhile in France the 42 year-old justice minister, the unmarried, and single, Rachida Dati is pregnant. She won't reveal the father's name. And nobody really care about this: private business.

Now, could you imagine a similar situation in the USA? Say, for instance, Condolezza Rice getting pregnant while being state secretary? Could you imagine the fury it would triggered? She'd have to resign I guess.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

ArmitageShanks

RE: Cultural Differences - Europe Vs USA

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:57 pm

I think it has more to do with the party she's associated with than the actual issue of her being pregnant. The republicans are traditionally "no sex before marriage" types.

I would bet money that 90% of Americans really could care less- its the news media that's making a big deal out of this. I know I certainly don't care.

In the end this is a non-issue, really.

JJJ

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:22 pm

It was picked up on the news here after a Moroccan (the lady is of Moroccan/Algerian descent) newspaper published that the father might be ex-president Aznar.

It dried up the day after, though (that's today).

DLPMMM

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:57 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 1):
I think it has more to do with the party she's associated with than the actual issue of her being pregnant. The republicans are traditionally "no sex before marriage" types.

I would bet money that 90% of Americans really could care less- its the news media that's making a big deal out of this. I know I certainly don't care.

Your second statement is correct.

Your first statement is just how the liberal media likes to portray Republicans.

Quoting QB001 (Thread starter):
While the US is all stuned, amazed, concerned or worried about Sarah Palin's 17 year-old daughter's pregnancy,

The USA population was and is not "stunned, amazed, concerned, or worried". The USA's population couldn't care less. It was just the media having a feeding frenzy because they hate female religious anti-abortion conservatives. She is everything that the liberal media despises.

The population would also not be concerned if Ms Rice decided to have a baby, but the media would be in an uproar. There would have been no problem in the media however if say Janet Reno would have become pregnant while AG.

Just a typical double standard.

EasternSon

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Some may be making a bigger deal out of it because she has cut funding in the Alaska school systems for programs like sex education while promoting abstinence, and voted to give less financial support to single mothers.

Ironical, huh?
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

Charles79

Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:24 pm

Say, for instance, Condolezza Rice getting pregnant while being state secretary?

That would require a national inquiry, congressional hearings, and an FBI probe to see how that "impenetrable fortress" was accessed!!  Big grin

Seriously, I think it has to do with the image that some folks in our country (politicians, religious leaders, news anchors, and others) want to perpetuate about this country as being so puritan and christian. Armitage is right, 90% of the public won't care.

In the case of Palin, I think it was a case of irony more than anything given her public stances but that's another thread's topic.

Now, a President getting some at the oval office with an intern not only grabs national attention, it provides a lifetime's worth of jokes for late night comedians!

mt99

Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 5):
I think it was a case of irony more than anything given her public stances but that's another thread's topic.

But see all these pro-life groups cast her as this great hero that had a Down's Syndrome Child and that her 17 unwed mother will give birth. Why a hero? Just because someone is pro-choice does not mean that they want to kill all unborn babies.
Step into my office, baby

DLPMMM

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:13 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 6):
But see all these pro-life groups cast her as this great hero that had a Down's Syndrome Child and that her 17 unwed mother will give birth. Why a hero?

You seem to believe what the talking heads on the TV tell you.

I have not heard a single "pro-life" group call her a hero. Only the political pundits on television making political statements one way or another, primarily left wingers trying to make the same point you are.

Doona

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 3):
Your first statement is just how the liberal media likes to portray Republicans.

Actually, over here even the conservative media tends to portray Republicans that way. On the other hand, "Liberal" here tends to be somewhere in the middle, or on the right...  silly 

There would have been no problem in the media however if say Janet Reno would have become pregnant while AG.

Well, the media would probably be flabbergasted by the fact that Janet Reno had actually gotten laid...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Elite

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Not really differences in culture, but differences in circumstances... right now Palin is the VP nominee of McCain, and the Democrats / Obama team will try to damage her image and reputation in every way possible, especially since Palin gave the Republicans a huge boost.

falstaff

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 1):
the party she's associated with than the actual issue of her being pregnant. The republicans are traditionally "no sex before marriage" types.

That would only be the Christian Right Republicans.

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 4):
voted to give less financial support to single mothers.

Nobody ever wants to help single fathers who have sole custody of their children. I have worked with several over the years.

because they hate female religious anti-abortion conservatives. She is everything that the liberal media despises.

That is very true. Sean Hannity is right, when women's advancement groups don't like her because of her stand on abortion they stop being women's advancement groups and become liberal advancement groups. Just like when the NAACP didn't stand behind Clarence Thomas they became a group dedicated to the advancement of liberal causes.

The population would also not be concerned if Ms Rice decided to have a baby, but the media would be in an uproar. There would have been no problem in the media however if say Janet Reno would have become pregnant while AG.

Kind of like you hear the press ask how can Palin raise a family and be VP. You don't hear anyone ask that same question of the Obamas.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

baroque

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:42 pm

for instance, Condolezza Rice getting pregnant while being state secretary?

Ooops  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl  Made my night reading that. What a delightful thought. Hissy fits all round.