Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

moderators
Topic Author

Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Campaign

Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:51 am

Users have requested that we bring some organization to the large number of posts being made about the 2008 U.S. Presidential Election in the non-aviation forum. For this reason, we’re creating ‘official’ threads to provide some structure to the overall subject, and make it easier for readers to contribute and follow the various discussions.

Six threads are being created, including this one. If you want to add a post, please make sure you’re adding it to the most appropriate of the choices shown below:

Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Campaign (this thread)
Official U.S. Election – Obama/Biden Campaign
Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Plans & Policies
Official U.S. Election – Obama/Biden Plans & Policies
Official U.S. Election – Polls & Projections
Official U.S. Election – Humor, Commentary, Etc.

Examples of content appropriate for this thread:

McCain/Palin (and GOP) campaign speeches, interviews, clips, gaffes, sound bites, advertising, press releases, etc.
Please use [email protected] to contact us.

allstarflyer

RE: Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Campaign

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:00 am

I'd like to be the 1st to post in one of these - may as well be this one, with this link. Ya shoulda put that link in there, mods!  tongue 

Hopefully, this thread (at least, among the others) will be a more constructive thread. But I doubt it.  Wink
Living the American Dream

mham001

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:14 am

The man who coined the term "Bush Doctrine" writes tomorrow that Charles Gibson didn't know what he was talking about...

There is no single meaning of the Bush Doctrine. In fact, there have been four distinct meanings, each one succeeding another over the eight years of this administration -- and the one Charlie Gibson cited is not the one in common usage today. It is utterly different.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2008/09/12/AR2008091202457.html (members only)

[Edited 2008-09-12 18:26:41]

Dreadnought

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:21 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 1):
Hopefully, this thread (at least, among the others) will be a more constructive thread. But I doubt it.

It won't be. The idea of having threads is to organize by a particular topic. The topic headings provided are far too broad.

Basically, Airliners.net is banning effective discussion of US politics for the next 2 months.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

allstarflyer

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:23 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 2):

That links shows "no longer available" - does a viewer have to have an online membership, or was it simply removed?

mham001

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:34 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 6):

That links shows "no longer available" - does a viewer have to have an online membership, or was it simply removed?

By Charles Krauthammer
Saturday, September 13, 2008; Page A17
The New York Times got it wrong. And Charlie Gibson got it wrong.

There is no single meaning of the Bush Doctrine. In fact, there have been four distinct meanings, each one succeeding another over the eight years of this administration -- and the one Charlie Gibson cited is not the one in common usage today. It is utterly different.

He asked Palin, "Do you agree with the Bush Doctrine?"

She responded, quite sensibly to a question that is ambiguous, "In what respect, Charlie?"

Sensing his "gotcha" moment, Gibson refused to tell her. After making her fish for the answer, Gibson grudgingly explained to the moose-hunting rube that the Bush doctrine "is that we have the right of anticipatory self-defense."

Wrong.

I know something about the subject because, as the Wikipedia entry on the Bush Doctrine notes, I was the first to use the term. In the cover essay of the June 4, 2001, issue of the Weekly Standard entitled, "The Bush Doctrine: ABM, Kyoto, and the New American Unilateralism," I suggested that the Bush administration policies of unilaterally withdrawing from the ABM treaty and rejecting the Kyoto protocol, together with others, amounted to a radical change in foreign policy that should be called the Bush Doctrine.

Then came 9/11, and that notion was immediately superseded by the advent of the war on terror. In his address to the joint session of Congress nine days after 9/11, President Bush declared: "Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists. From this day forward any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime." This "with us or against us" policy regarding terror -- first deployed against Pakistan when Secretary of State Colin Powell gave President Musharraf that seven-point ultimatum to end support for the Taliban and support our attack on Afghanistan -- became the essence of the Bush Doctrine.

Until Iraq. A year later, when the Iraq war was looming, Bush offered his major justification by enunciating a doctrine of preemptive war. This is the one Charlie Gibson thinks is the Bush doctrine.

swiftski

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:50 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 7):
The New York Times got it wrong. And Charlie Gibson got it wrong.

As an onlooker with no bias, I personally felt that whole interview was cringe worthy. I almost began to feel sorry for her by the end of it because of how she was almost being made fun of by Gibson (paraphrase: "so you think you know a lot about foreign policy because you are close to russia").

Having said that, as a 'world citizen', despite having no 'bias', I would be concerned to see her elected as VP based on all that I have seen so far.

BN747

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:11 am

Continued from the Closed thread...

Quoting MD80fanatic, reply=129]:

Gee whiz SuperFly, don't hold back now. It's pretty clear that you don't like the woman....but to constantly claim she is too ignorant to speak her own words is getting a little tiresome.
[/quote]

Superfly is 100% correct...

...because if you're paying attention.. you have not seen a single clip/moment where Palin is permitted to speak her on her own volition.. now why do you think that is?

Seriously....why?

I'll give you my suspicions as to why... because if Sarah Palin is permitted to be that 'just like every 'average American' many think she is.. and speaks her mind reflecting exactly where she stands on all the issues vs the prepared canned GOP answers spewing out of her mouth.. the public will realize we actually DO NOT want our next door neighbor that close to running then country. Would you like a pilot dumber than you flying your next flight. There's a reason why some pilots make the cut..and others wash out. More than 'skills' come into the picture when everything's on the line. And for the world's #1 world power...nothing should be overlooked -- if you feel differently, please explain why...

But the GOP with Palin is playing the sexism card of 'if you say ANYTHING anti-Palin' you're a sexist.

They want her speaking only 'the party line' (because they know her 'plain Avg Joe speak' will sink the whole ship..the GOP is not stupid, ruthless? YES.. stupid.. NO!) .. but they they are counting you (the American public) to be stupid and not notice that it is they (the GOP) are 'speaking for and thru her'.

"George Bush/Karl Rove's words coming out of the mouth of Sarah Palin...and the American people are completely clueless, fellas, we've got a winner and nobody's the wiser!" .. that's what the GOP Brain Trust is saying at this very moment. And guess what...they're absolutely spot on! A good number of people are completely unaware of what is happening (or are using it as a way out to avoid voting for the clearly smarter of the two tickets). And if she and McCain win..then the GOP gets to say 'Surprise!!!' "..Go ahead Sarah..speak, say whatever you want..we're untouchable for the next four years. Wanna easedrop on that Trooper's private calls and really get even with him? Go ahead.. you're the VP now. Wanna go after that Librarian who refused to ban books...no one's stopping you. Anyone else you wanna take out? Write their names here..." And you don't think Palin will? Her known 'history' already suggests she'll be all over it.

..and you're left standing there going 'WTF..how did this happen?'

[quote=TransIsland
(Reply 130):
:

The saddest thing about the United States' democracy is probably the fact that this isn't even far from the truth. The Bush administration was made possible by a $4|tload of people who couldn't be bothered to move their behinds to the polls and vote. Fact is, the majority of citizens eligible to vote did NOT vote for Bush, neither in 2000 nor in 2004.

You're 100% correct and they're the worst bunch.

BN747

[Edited 2008-09-12 19:21:46]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

allstarflyer

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:18 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 12):

That sounds more like the kind of influencing of which Cheney would be accused (probably Rove, too, though - wouldn't put much, honestly past either).

mham001

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:19 am

Fact is, the majority of citizens eligible to vote did NOT vote for Bush, neither in 2000 nor in 2004.

When was the last time that has ever happened?

StuckInCA

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:01 am

More from the "Straight Talk Express"
---------------------------------------
Asked by Walters about Palin's statements that she would reform Washington, McCain insisted that she would "reform all of Washington, just like she did ... in Alaska. Earmark spending, which she vetoed half a billion dollars worth," said McCain.

When reminded by Walters that Palin took earmarks in Alaska, McCain said, "Not as governor she didn't."

"She took government out of the hands of the special interests," he said.

This on the same day that Palin admitted (as we already know)...

"the GOP vice presidential candidate acknowledged that she has supported millions of dollars in congressional money - including the famed Bridge to Nowhere - to allow Alaska "to plug into ... along with every other state, a share of the federal budget in infrastructure."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../a/2008/09/12/MNDM12T018.DTL&tsp=1

Funny to hear the two say different things on the same topic. On the same day. Maybe he's too old to remember?

Dreadnought

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:05 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 14):
Fact is, the majority of citizens eligible to vote did NOT vote for Bush, neither in 2000 nor in 2004.

When was the last time that has ever happened?

Oh, only about every single presidential election ever held.

BN747

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:05 am

Honestly, I could live with McCain as POTUS even as nuts and out of touch as he is...

..but Palin as VP (and poss. Potus) is nothing short of insane..it's like the Mayor of Bunlevel, North Carolina, suddenly becoming the Mayor of New York City! Sorry, but a mayor like that will be in over his head in no time flat! Not to mention getting played like a 1st class chump every step of the way!

..seriously, who's gonna be Palin's chief of staff? Some poor 'never left Alaska' slob she trust? Or some Karl Rove hand-picked lowlife? That latter scares me much more than the former and the way they're shielding and the secrecy swirling about Palin is a sincere indication that the latter is very very likely.

If you want more open Gov't..this isn't the crew for you.

If you want more "shadow 'everything's a secret and you-don't-need-to-know' Gov't"...then this is an excellent selection for you!

BN747

[Edited 2008-09-12 20:08:36]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

mham001

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:15 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 18):

Oh, only about every single presidential election ever held.

Nope, read it carefully.

[quote=TransIsland (Reply 130):
:Fact is, the majority of citizens eligible to vote did NOT vote for Bush, neither in 2000 nor in 2004.

Often the vote turnout is about 70% and that is only those registered. Add all those eligible but not registered and I would wager nobody has ever received the majority of eligible citizens. If the context is eligible = registered, its still not a given. For a great example, look at the 1990 election in which Clinton did not receive 50% of votes cast.

[Edited 2008-09-12 20:18:28]

Dreadnought

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:29 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 20):
I would wager nobody has ever received the majority of eligible citizens

That was my point.

Ken777

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:34 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 20):
For a great example, look at the 1990 election in which Clinton did not receive 50% of votes cast.

As I recall Clinton got about 43% of the vote - the same percentage Nixon got.

In the 2000 election Gore won the popular vote and Bush was given the electoral vote.

When you think about that it's interesting to consider going to a popular vote only for President. That way every state would get attention, regardless of their color. A big change from now where we only have battleground states that are of interest.

mham001

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:42 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 21):

That was my point.

Sorry, we were saying the same thing, I didn't realize my quote could be taken either way.

flynavy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:52 am

Debate flashback, quoting John McCain:

Quote:
“I have had a strong and a long relationship on national security, I’ve been involved in every national crisis that this nation has faced since Beirut, I understand the issues, I understand and appreciate the enormity of the challenge we face from radical Islamic extremism. “I am prepared. I am prepared. I need no on-the-job training. I wasn’t a mayor for a short period of time. I wasn’t a governor for a short period of time.”

Hypocrisy may now resume.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Dreadnought

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:54 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 21):
When you think about that it's interesting to consider going to a popular vote only for President. That way every state would get attention, regardless of their color.

Then states with small populations will get completely ignored, and states like California, New York and Texas become the battlegrounds. The electoral college was created to prevent such a dictatorship of the majority.

md80fanatic

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:18 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 15):
for your viewing pleasure...

Bridge to Nowhere ........big effing deal. $200mil

Alaska is the most frontier state in the Union. They cannot expect much in the way of taxes from their small populace so how the heck are they supposed to attract new people and new opportunities....if they are stuck in BFE? They n-e-e-d to get a share of the mass of cash that is given away and mostly wasted every year for infrastructure improvements. Sarah Palin got in there and snagged some for the home team, what's the problem with that? She even went so far as to reduce the haul (earmarks), but still brought home some much needed liquidity. Sounds intrinsically paleo-conservative to me.

Where is the uproar, the righteous indignation over the mass of foreign owned toll roads all over Austin, and the country? Hmmm. Palin scores from America for Americans.....while Rick Perry scores for a Spanish corporation, from the citizens in Austin.

I suppose if Austin toll roads could somehow be blamed on Palin....hmmmm,

Because of her ruthless free-for-all with American's hard earned tax dollars, the poor state of Texas had to seek foreign investment for infrastructure.  Angry

StuckInCA

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:33 am

Analysis: McCain's claims skirt facts, test voters
------------------------------------------------------------

"The "Straight Talk Express" has detoured into doublespeak"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080912/..._el_pr/mccain_stretching_the_truth

Even in a political culture accustomed to truth-stretching, McCain's skirting of facts has stood out this week. It has infuriated and flustered Obama's campaign, and campaign pros are watching to see how much voters disregard news reports noting factual holes in the claims.

In general, however, Obama has been quicker to react to news accounts challenging his accuracy

Mir

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:37 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 28):
They cannot expect much in the way of taxes from their small populace

One of the wealthiest states in the nation by GDP per capita. They've got a strong tax base.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

allstarflyer

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:00 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 27):
neocons are the same.

Sorry, 3rd party advocate here.

The rest . . . yak, yak, YAK. Just how many of those "assets" Obama brings to the table actually qualifies him to be President? And I can bring the thread back on topic - and I could post these links, also, acknowledging Obama's experience has been under fire . . . inexperience acknowledged for both Palin and Obama . . . pollsnoted over the summer concerning Obama's qualifications to be PotUS, knowledge of world affairs and experience, etc. in the Obama/Biden campaign thread, but no one seems interested enough to converse in that one.  Wink

So, back to Palin and the campaign thread with visible interest, anyone care to weigh how having executive experience as a state governor for less than 1 term compares to being a US Senator for less than 1 term?

md80fanatic

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:08 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 25):
One of the wealthiest states in the nation by GDP per capita. They've got a strong tax base.

Big oil producer, hardly any populace......but what determines their share of the federal trough? It's the populace.....not the GDP.

This site, http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/02000.html , claims the per capita income of Alaska is on par with New Jersey. At the same time New Jersey has 1/76 the land area and 13 times the population of Alaska. Alaska does not have enough people, with enough money to qualify as a strong tax base.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 24):
In general, however, Obama has been quicker to react to news accounts challenging his accuracy

He is quicker than a man twice his age, who'd a thunk it? (your desperation in showing  Big grin )

flynavy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:12 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 23):

Yeah, RIIIIGHT. Neocons, republicans, cavemen, the lot of you - all claim to be "3rd party advocates" whenever it suits you.

What's the line your man Bush likes to use? "You're either with us, or against us..."

allstarflyer

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:18 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 25):

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 23):

Yeah, RIIIIGHT. Neocons, republicans, cavemen, the lot of you - all claim to be "3rd party advocates" whenever it suits you.

You stumbled quoting Wikipedia on another of these threads (could've done a little more homework - maybe going to a better source first before you posted that), and now this. You don't research much of anything, do you?  Wink So, what other nuggets of entertainment would you like to share?

flynavy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:23 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 29):
So, what other nuggets of entertainment would you like to share?

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.  Smile

QANTAS077

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:27 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 26):
Oh my. What a video. I wondered where Scott Ritter had been.

his book is en-route to my library, I'll let you know how it goes when I've read it.

flynavy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:29 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 31):
All posted in 8 minutes.....amazing rate of spammage.

Wow, you really don't like the truth to come out about your candidates, do ya?

12 Questions I want Palin to Answer:

1. Suppose your 14-year-old daughter Willow is brutally raped in her bedroom by an intruder. She becomes pregnant and wants an abortion. Could you tell the parents of America why you think your child and their children should be forced by law to have their rapists' babies?

2. You say you don't believe global warming is man-made. Could you tell us what scientists you've spoken with or read who have led you to that conclusion? What do you think the 2,500 scientists of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change are getting wrong?

3. If you didn't try to fire Wasilla librarian Mary Ellen Baker over her refusal to consider censoring books, why did you try to fire her?

4. What is the European Union, and how does it function?

5. Forty-seven million Americans lack health insurance. John Goodman, who has advised McCain on healthcare, has proposed redefining them as covered because, he says, anyone can get care at an ER. Do you agree with him?

6. What is the function of the Federal Reserve?

7. Cindy and John McCain say you have experience in foreign affairs because Alaska is next to Russia. When did you last speak with Prime Minister Putin, and what did you talk about?

8. Approximately how old is the earth? Five thousand years? 10,000? 5 billion?

9. You are a big fan of President Bush, so why didn't you mention him even once in your convention speech?

10. McCain says cutting earmarks and waste will make up for revenues lost by making the tax cuts permanent. Experts say that won't wash. Balancing the Bush tax cuts plus new ones proposed by McCain would most likely mean cutting Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security. Which would you cut?

11. You're suing the federal government to have polar bears removed from the endangered species list, even as Alaska's northern coastal ice is melting and falling into the sea. Can you explain the science behind your decision?

12. You've suggested that God approves of the Iraq War and the Alaska pipeline. How do you know?

[Edited 2008-09-12 22:29:36]

mham001

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:36 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 20):
Sarah Palin got in there and snagged some for the home team, what's the problem with that? She even went so far as to reduce the haul (earmarks), but still brought home some much needed liquidity. Sounds intrinsically paleo-conservative to me.

So how much pull does a governor have in all this anyway. Isn't this all done in congress by the states representatives and senators?

Additionally, there seems to be some confusion about what is an earmark and what is appropriated in normal budget procedures. The nasty stuff is inserted at the last minute in bills with no relevance to the matter at hand, usually in an attempt to win votes for the bill. These are specified for specific projects. Typical budget appropriations are dispensed by agencies and the money can be used elsewhere if the state decides so..

md80fanatic

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:40 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 32):

No, I love truth. All you post comes from media sources.....most of which don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Hell, on this site alone there are mountains of old threads castigating the press for saying a 737 has 4 engines and 18 wheels. And you expect those boobs to be accurate on anything else?

If and when some horrible truth comes out, I will be the absolute first one to admit I was wrong, right here. Also.....if I am right (I am of course....but let's pretend for a moment that I might not be), I will be the first to put virtual pies into many left leaning faces on this forum.  Smile

Mir

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:42 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 24):
This site, http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/02000.html , claims the per capita income of Alaska is on par with New Jersey.

Funny you should mention Alaska and New Jersey in the same sentence, since New Jersey is paying for Alaska's pork. Alaska is third in the nation when it comes to sucking on the federal teat, getting 75% more back than they put in. New Jersey is dead last - they can barely get 60% of what they pay in back. And people wonder why New Jersey has high state taxes.

Here's something strange: all the conservatives like to rant about how people should provide for themselves and not expect the government to do it for them. Seventeen states in the nation pay more to the federal government in taxes than they get back. Out of those, only three are solidly red states - the rest are either blue states or swing states. What are those three? Texas, which comes close to even at 94% return, Colorado with an 81% return, and Nevada with a 65% return. Nevada is a special case - it doesn't need federal money due to the gambling revenue it gets, and Colorado's status as a firm red state isn't so firm anymore.

Perhaps the conservatives in the rural states should practice what they preach and stop hitching a free ride on the government.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/f...pend_per_taxesbystate-20071009.pdf

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flynavy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:43 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 34):

Still avoiding the issues I see.

PSA727

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:47 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 33):
Additionally, there seems to be some confusion about what is an earmark and what is appropriated in normal budget procedures. The nasty stuff is inserted at the last minute in bills with no relevance to the matter at hand, usually in an attempt to win votes for the bill. These are specified for specific projects. Typical budget appropriations are dispensed by agencies and the money can be used elsewhere if the state decides so..

Exactly, John McCain is against the congressmen and senators who slip these pork barrel
spending projects (Pelosi re-coined the phrase into earmarks) into the budget, and mostly
incognito. He wants to hold them accountable and make these "earmarks" (and who put
them in) made public. Everything now is done clandestine.

And about Palin asking for government funds......everyone from every state has to pay
federal income tax. Why shouldn't they be able to get some of this back for their state?
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

mham001

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:48 am

2. You say you don't believe global warming is man-made.

Get up to speed, she is now parroting McCains line.

3. If you didn't try to fire Wasilla librarian Mary Ellen Baker over her refusal to consider censoring books, why did you try to fire her?

Try this article....http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/515512.html
Four days before the exchange at the City Council, Emmons got a letter from Palin asking for her resignation. Similar letters went to police chief Irl Stambaugh, public works director Jack Felton and finance director Duane Dvorak. John Cooper, a fifth director, resigned after Palin eliminated his job overseeing the city museum.

Palin told the Daily News back then the letters were just a test of loyalty as she took on the mayor's job, which she'd won from three-term mayor John Stein in a hard-fought election. Stein had hired many of the department heads. Both Emmons and Stambaugh had publicly supported him against Palin.

12. You've suggested that God approves of the Iraq War and the Alaska pipeline. How do you know?

Actually, no she didn't. You need to read the whole text, Charlie Gibson sure didn't..

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...-palin12-2008sep12,0,5803961.story

In the sit-down with Gibson, she faced questions about statements on the Iraq war that she made at an Assembly of God church that she sometimes attends in her hometown, Wasilla, of which she is a former mayor.

A video shows Palin asking a group to pray that the nation's leaders were sending troops to Iraq "on a task that is from God."

Gibson, however, mischaracterized her as simply asserting that the nation's leaders were sending troops to Iraq on a task from God.

"Are we fighting a holy war?" he asked.

After Palin disputed his characterization, she paraphrased Abraham Lincoln, saying she meant, "Let us not pray that God is on our side in a war or any other time, but let us pray that we are on God's side."

md80fanatic

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:55 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
Funny you should mention Alaska and New Jersey in the same sentence, since New Jersey is paying for Alaska's pork. Alaska is third in the nation when it comes to sucking on the federal teat, getting 75% more back than they put in. New Jersey is dead last - they can barely get 60% of what they pay in back. And people wonder why New Jersey has high state taxes.

I already said this a few posts ago....but yours sounds more "devilish". This is the nature of "Frontier"......lots of money in NOW, lots of return later. Do you think settling the west was inexpensive to do? Do you think a handful of explorers could possibly "pay-their-own-way"?

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
Perhaps the conservatives in the rural states should practice what they preach and stop hitching a free ride on the government.

Okay....then you can go grow all the food your family needs in your back yard. Hope you get enough time to tend to your garden in between day jobs.

Growin' food isn't as profitable as your city-slicker, metrosexual jobs.....but without them you are just dust in the wind.

[Edited 2008-09-12 22:58:15]

md80fanatic

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:57 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 36):
Still avoiding the issues I see.

What issues? You said you wanted to ask Palin those questions. Ask away, as it is her that will be working for you, not I (thank God).

QANTAS077

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:57 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 38):
Get up to speed, she is now parroting McCains line.

so she's flip-flopped, right?

flynavy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:03 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 41):
You said you wanted to ask Palin those questions.

Sir, please re-read the thread in its entirely before further self-pwnage occurs. Thanks.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 42):
so she's flip-flopped, right?

checkmark 

md80fanatic

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:11 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 43):
Sir, please re-read the thread in its entirely before further self-pwnage occurs. Thanks.

I have read the thread and still cannot decipher what is quickly becoming your lunacy.
What does pwnage mean? Is that some kind of textspeak? If we are going to talk, you will have to make at least a passing attempt to converse in English.

And don't call me sir.

[Edited 2008-09-12 23:13:58]

swiftski

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:16 am

1. Suppose your 14-year-old daughter Willow is brutally raped in her bedroom by an intruder. She becomes pregnant and wants an abortion. Could you tell the parents of America why you think your child and their children should be forced by law to have their rapists' babies?

2. You say you don't believe global warming is man-made. Could you tell us what scientists you've spoken with or read who have led you to that conclusion? What do you think the 2,500 scientists of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change are getting wrong?

4. What is the European Union, and how does it function?

5. Forty-seven million Americans lack health insurance. John Goodman, who has advised McCain on healthcare, has proposed redefining them as covered because, he says, anyone can get care at an ER. Do you agree with him?

6. What is the function of the Federal Reserve?

7. Cindy and John McCain say you have experience in foreign affairs because Alaska is next to Russia. When did you last speak with Prime Minister Putin, and what did you talk about?

8. Approximately how old is the earth? Five thousand years? 10,000? 5 billion?

9. You are a big fan of President Bush, so why didn't you mention him even once in your convention speech?

10. McCain says cutting earmarks and waste will make up for revenues lost by making the tax cuts permanent. Experts say that won't wash. Balancing the Bush tax cuts plus new ones proposed by McCain would most likely mean cutting Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security. Which would you cut?

11. You're suing the federal government to have polar bears removed from the endangered species list, even as Alaska's northern coastal ice is melting and falling into the sea. Can you explain the science behind your decision?

Good list.

She's a pretty lady, well spoken, good at the job she is currently doing. BUT is she REALLY ready to lead 300+ million Americans, with influence on the other 6+ billion people on earth?

Not a chance. McCain hasn't done himself any favours.

flynavy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:16 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 45):
What does pwnage mean?

Talk about being out of touch...

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 41):
You said you wanted to ask Palin those questions.

No.
I was referring to YOUR reply, https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...on_aviation/read.main/1974362/#30. That should clear things up.

[Edited 2008-09-12 23:17:46]

flynavy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:21 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 46):
BUT is she REALLY ready to lead 300+ million Americans, with influence on the other 6+ billion people on earth?

checkmark 

The neocons in this country aren't concerned about their candidate's VP's qualifications for office. The only thing these people are concerned with is holding onto their "power" in Washington to push their agenda.

Their guns, their money, and their backwards, out-of-touch, idiotic agenda...

I used to like McCain, believe it or not, until as a result of his lust for the Presidency he abandoned everything he stood for.

md80fanatic

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:23 am

My job is not to be in touch.....in fact I try to avoid being in touch at all costs.

Okay.....the link you posted goes right back to where we are now. It appears you are directing me toward my post #30, where I made a 2 line wisecrack (the lightest post I have made in days).

Again for the olde guy, what was your question about post #30.....something about me avoiding issues....by making a wisecrack?????

Perhaps (hopefully) sleep is in your immediate future.

baroque

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:23 am

12 Questions I want Palin to Answer:

The questions are interesting enough. The answers would be totally fascinating. I will bet some staffer is busy prepping now. Some of the answers might be difficult.

One extra supplementary question:

Given how old you think the earth is, how old is the oil in the Prudhoe Bay oilfield, and exactly how did the oil get to this convenient spot in Alaska?

flynavy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:25 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 49):
Perhaps (hopefully) sleep is in your immediate future.

Don't count on it.

md80fanatic

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:26 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 48):
I used to like McCain, believe it or not, until as a result of his lust for the Presidency he abandoned everything he stood for.

Like representing the state with the highest illegal immigration transgressions? Is this one of the things you liked about him, that he helped sell out his country, and his state, to Mexico?

md80fanatic

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:37 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 50):
Given how old you think the earth is, how old is the oil in the Prudhoe Bay oilfield, and exactly how did the oil get to this convenient spot in Alaska?

Baroque, shame on you. Petroleum companies can't tell you those answers with any real certainty, but you expect Palin to? Sounds to me like your question is designed exclusively to straight up criticize her religious beliefs? In fact, most of the questions your in-the-navy friend have the same purpose and tone as your question.

Since when does knowledge of off-the-wall factoids make one qualified for the Presidency?
It would help in Trivial Pursuit(tm), but high office?

G'nite  bored 

[Edited 2008-09-12 23:43:30]

BN747

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:27 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 52):

Like representing the state with the highest illegal immigration transgressions? Is this one of the things you liked about him, that he helped sell out his country, and his state, to Mexico?

'

OH Brother...

...Obama must be responsible for all the black people in Chicago and minority transgressions.. oh wait, he's from Kansas, Hawaii and Indonesia. Hmmm..guess that wouldn't stick.

If McCain sold out his country as YOU say...why on earth are about to burst a cranial blood vessel defending him in these threads? This outta be good...

BN747

kaitak

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:10 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 44):
The neocons in this country aren't concerned about their candidate's SP (Brazil)">VP's qualifications for office. The only thing these people are concerned with is holding onto their "power" in Washington to push their agenda.

Their guns, their money, and their backwards, out-of-touch, idiotic agenda...

For that reason, I suspect that they are actually very happy with the SP (Brazil)">VP candidate choice. Who do you think is briefing SP on foreign policies? Even if she and McCain are elected, you can bet that the kind of people who are briefing her - effectively teaching her foreign policy and foreign relations - will be Neocons, so it's going to be a case of "no change". Sure, JMcC will have some independence of thought, but I just dread the thought of someone with SP's complete lack of knowledge being led by people who have the world view of the current administration; at the end of the day, as with Bush, they give the advice, but they don't bear the responsibility. The buck stops with the president and if she hasn't the independence of thought or access to a more balanced world view, America could well find itself in a situation where the Iraq invasion will seem like a cakewalk in comparison.