Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Interfering In Foreign Policy.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:35 pm

I want to put forward a hypothetical.

What if a US presidential candidate went to the leader of another country and asked him to either accept or delay any agreement based on the date of the US election, presumably with a promise of extra-special favors.

Some of you might remember that Raegan was accused of this, specifically of secretly asking the Iranians not to release the 52 embassy hostages until after his innauguration.

If it were found out that something like this did happen, what do you think should be the consequence?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

AirportSeven

RE: Interfering In Foreign Policy.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:58 pm

That candidate should be deified and all of his or her wrongdoings swept under the rug, the way it was done with Reagan.

And this is a purely a hypothetical situation since there are no agreements currently in place that would be executed before the election.

If, by chance, this thread were going to get steered toward the unsubstantiated claims being made by a Rupert Murdoch-owned New York tabloid, then let's all keep in mind that the elections are in two months, and any significant, "notional" draw downs of U.S. troops in a certain Middle Eastern country are still two to three years away.

Also, why is a meeting that happened three months ago news now?

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:18 pm

Quoting AirportSeven (Reply 1):
That candidate should be deified and all of his or her wrongdoings swept under the rug, the way it was done with Reagan.

Actually, it was debunked as the hogwash it was.

Rumours abound that it may have happened another time - Nixon and the vietnam peace talks. But nobody has been able to to substantiate it for certain. Knowing Nixon, it was certainly possible for him to do it. Reagan woud not have.

Quoting AirportSeven (Reply 1):
If, by chance, this thread were going to get steered toward the unsubstantiated claims being made by a Rupert Murdoch-owned New York tabloid

Which is why I have not posted it. Right now it's on Drudge and the NYP, as well as Fox (though they are related, so they don't count), not to mention a potful of blogs and am waiting to see if more varied news sources pick it up.

cannibalz3

Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Actually, I believe it was the Iranians that decided to wait until after Carter left, to demonstrate that he had nothing to do with their release.

What's certainly much more common is for candidates for announce foreign policies with an eye towards influencing other nation's behavior - so instead of actually asking them to do something or not, they'll put forth policies that they think will bring about essentially the same outcome.

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:54 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Thread starter):
What if a US presidential candidate went to the leader of another country and asked him to either accept or delay any agreement based on the date of the US election, presumably with a promise of extra-special favors.

what made you post this question.What was in the mind then?
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:22 am

I was curious what the reaction would be. I would expect (and hope) that people would say that that would eliminate a candidate's hopes to win the election. Not only is it a violation of the Logan Act, but is conceivably treasonous.

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Thinking of the Indo-US civil nuclear deal...it would be the other way around.....The urgency to get a diplomatic victory is present  Smile

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)