Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cadet57

RE: Price Of Gas Where You Are At?

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:39 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 46):
The biggest reason gas jumped this week was because many people panicked due to the storm and filled up just to fill up. That drove demand and usage up... some station ran out.. even more causing panic and driving demand and price up even more. Had well all just remand calm... filled up only if we truly needed it, you would have seen little to no change.

There was no rush on gas. One morning I drove to work and the local station was $3.39, I drove home it was $3.47, Next day, $3.61. So in 24 hours the price of gas went up 22 cents because of a rush? Please. The only rush was at the stations that kept their prices fair until recently. IE, Hess and the discount chain only raised their prices slightly. Hess went up a dime and the discount place a nickle. And I guess the fact the CT legislature is investigating dozens of stations for price gouging is all because of this rush, huh.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ACDC8

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:01 am

Well, gas went down to 145.9 per liter here, a drop of 2 cents. So, I guess the excuse this time is that everyone was expecting a drop of 10 cents so no one was fueling up, giving the companies more supply then demand so they have to "adjust" their prices for the loss in profit?

Bullshit, bullshit and more bullshit!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

PPVRA

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 50):
There was no rush on gas.

Maybe not where you live, but certainly in ATL, and I've heard the same account from other A.netters. It was also all over the media.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Cadet57

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 52):
Maybe not where you live, but certainly in ATL, and I've heard the same account from other A.netters

Perhaps because greedy gas station owners/wholesalers found a great excuse to jack up prices after weeks of dropping. There is plenty of gas and oil, especially considering todays drop to $92bbl. So again I'll say it again:

ACDC8

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:59 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 53):
So again I'll say it again:

And I'll agree!

stasisLAX

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:03 am

It was $3.57/gallon for 87 octane unleaded at the ARCO station on Atlantic Avenue in Long Beach this morning.

A great website to help you find the cheapest local gasoline prices is: http://www.gasbuddy.com/

[Edited 2008-09-16 19:04:49]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

PPVRA

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:04 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 53):
Perhaps because greedy gas station owners/wholesalers found a great excuse to jack up prices after weeks of dropping. There is plenty of gas and oil, especially considering todays drop to $92bbl.

As if that made any sense!

Gasoline supply down, you need to ration whats available, prices go up to accomplish that.

Run on stations before a big hurricane hits and shuts down 20% of the nation's refining capacity. . . huge spike in demand, with short-term outlook not so great as far as buying new gas from suppliers. . .

No, couldn't be it.  sarcastic 

Cadet57

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:12 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 56):
No, couldn't be it.

Exactly. If the big bad hurricane caused this, why did gas not go up before when a hurricane hit New Orleans last month? No, it cant possibly be price gouging....  sarcastic 

PPVRA

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 57):

There was no run on the gas station that I can remember of and the fears now are for the refineries, which apparently are in more danger of being damaged and take a long time (days?) to start back up. They also need electricity to work, and until the utilities get that back up and running, they can't do much about restarting production.

The article below is the first of tis kind I see:

Quote:
Electricity has been restored at Valero’s Houston-area refineries
Valero Energy Corp. officials said Tuesday that power has been restored to most of the company’s production units at its Houston and Texas City refineries.

However, the company is still working to restore power at its Port Arthur, Texas, refinery.

Refinery employees are continuing to work to ensure the units have supplies of fresh water and industrial gases to begin manufacturing products again. As such, all three refineries remain shut down.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/09/15/daily9.html

The article is from today, so it took 4 days just to get power back up. Hopefully they can get production going quickly. But it doesn't look all that great:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6003893.html

I will have to put some gas in my car tomorrow, and I'm not looking forward to it either. . . probably put only a few gallons in hopes prices drop a little towards the end of the week.

EMBQA

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:24 am

why did gas not go up before when a hurricane hit New Orleans last month?

Hmmm..... maybe because the gas refineries are in Houston and not New Orleans. 80% of the US production was shut down for Ike.....that was not the case with the storm that hit New Orleans
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Cadet57

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:56 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 59):
There was no run on the gas station that I can remember of and the fears now are for the refineries, which apparently are in more danger of being damaged and take a long time (days?) to start back up. They also need electricity to work, and until the utilities get that back up and running, they can't do much about restarting production.

Exactly. There was no shortages then and refineries were shut and the worst was feared considering that it was to be a CAT5 when it hit LA. But thankfully it was not and the refineries were back to work. So I dont see how this storm should have been any different. I am aware of the electrical and utility needs before they can work, many things dont work without power. But do you see what I am getting at? Refineries closed both times and both lucked out and didn't get major damage, but this time it just so happens that gas spikes the way it does? Makes you wonder.

ACDC8

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:54 am

I took a drive around town and these are the prices I saw tonight ....

147.9 .... Chevron, Esso, Petro Can, Mohawk
147.4 .... Shell
144.4 .... Shell, Super Save, Husky
141.9 .... Petro Can
134.9 .... Esso

3 cents per liter between the Shell Stations, 6 cents per liter between the Petro Can stations and 13 cents per liter between the Esso stations????  Confused

Aeroflot777

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:51 am

Salt Lake City, Utah = $3.69

Aeroflot777

miamix707

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:24 am

Gasoline supply down, you need to ration whats available, prices go up to accomplish that.

thanks for pooping on the party PPVRA...

Exactly. If the big bad hurricane caused this, why did gas not go up before when a hurricane hit New Orleans last month?

It would be interesting to see by how much oil/gas prices reacted (if at all) the many times a hurricane has hit the gulf before. I don't remember seeing any crazy increases like these

Bartonsayswhat

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 am

hey ACDC8, gas in victoria went down 10 cents too 1.399, whatd it do in the interior?

ACDC8

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:30 am

Quoting Bartonsayswhat (Reply 64):

hey ACDC8, gas in victoria went down 10 cents too 1.399, whatd it do in the interior?

Good question, this is what our gas stations in town were showing last night ....

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 61):
147.9 .... Chevron, Esso, Petro Can, Mohawk
147.4 .... Shell
144.4 .... Shell, Super Save, Husky
141.9 .... Petro Can
134.9 .... Esso

Figure that one out .....  Silly

Anyway, that was my 6000th post, so its off to bed for me ... Big grin

PPVRA

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 60):

I see your point, and that's why many people think the main reason prices spiked this high is because people freaked out the day before and ran to the gas stations. It was completely irrational because just as you said, Gustav had little to no impact on gas prices and it was a stronger hurricane. And it had minimal impact on oil prices iirc.

With that said, it seems there are more issues this time in starting back up the refineries than with Gustav. And this is a problem.

PHLBOS

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 40):
The same station, as of yesterday (Monday) afternoon, raised it's price to $3.79.

As of Tuesday afternoon, the price for the fore-mentioned Liberty station in Secane (I pass by it twice/day walking to/from the train station) dropped to $3.69. This morning, the price dropped to $3.65. Talk about yo-yo pricing.

The cheapest station in my area is presently a Giant (same Giant as the supermarket chain) in East Lansdowne at $3.56.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

northstardc4m

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Currently out here in the Western GTA:

Cheapest i saw this morning was 126.1 at 7/11
Most stations are at 126.3
Filled up my tank at 123.5 over a week ago... BEFORE the "IKE HIKE".

That hike was total BS, there was ZERO logic to it (oh because there might be damage to production next week we are putting prices up 13 cents now...!?). It is obvious that the oil companies CANNOT be trusted to do business in an ethical manner. It is time to start oversight of gasoline in this country (and yes i know to americans that heresy/communist/anti-american... so don't bother :P ), the average person cannot afford this kind of wild fluctuation in prices of an essential (and YES it is essential here, despite what more than a few would like to believe) commodity. This is gouging pure and simple, and it must stop.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

BRJ

Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:01 pm

$4.09/gallon for regular unleaded here in downtown Atlanta.

Cadet57

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 66):
And it had minimal impact on oil prices iirc.

Correct me if im wrong, but it continued its downward trend even thru Gustav. I think what happened was oil kept going down, but it slowed as the hurricane got closer and once it was clear there was littler damage it continued down at a pre hurricane rate.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 66):
And this is a problem.

Indeed. That said. Refinery problems are a legitimate reason for a spike in gas. It makes sense. Personally if someone told me there was a gas shortage now. Id tend believe it. But a week ago, no one could say that there was a shortage-regional ones not withstanding- because gas being pumped last weekend came from a refinery maybe weeks before.

KaiGywer

Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:59 pm

Got diesel yesterday, glad to see it below $4. It was $3.999  Silly
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

miamix707

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 70):

Indeed. That said. Refinery problems are a legitimate reason for a spike in gas

It is and it isn't. While people drive away from the hurricane (using some gas obviously), many don't drive during the hurricane and for at least 24hrs, which SHOULD drop demand.

Here in florida (Orlando for example) I went to gas up on Sunday at a Sunoco and there was no gas left because they hadn't increased prices too much and everyone filled up there.

Why did so many people fill up their tanks even though the hurricane was so far away? They heard in the news knew gas prices would go up.

Someone needs to get an ad on TV before the next hurricane that goes like this: "Don't be taken advantage of by price-gouging and speculators trying to make a quick buck, get only the gas needed to get through the day, don't fill up your tank"

Give the greedy oil industry and speculators the finger for once

PHLBOS

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Interesting update with regards to the Secane Liberty station that I referred to in my past posts in this thread. Here's a compiled list of prices for 87 octane gas this past week:

9/12 (last Friday) $3.51

9/15 AM $3.69
9/15 PM $3.79
9/16 AM (no change)
9/16 PM $3.69
9/17 AM $3.65
9/17 PM $3.69 (not a misprint/typo)
9/18 AM $3.63

Has anyone else noticed a similar erratic pattern?

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 67):
The cheapest station in my area is presently a Giant (same Giant as the supermarket chain) in East Lansdowne at $3.56.

As of yesterday (9/17) afternoon, the price at this station went up to $3.58.

[Edited 2008-09-18 06:06:04]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

northstardc4m

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:24 pm

Major drop in the GTA now as low as 118.0/litre, common price is 119.8/litre, and they are expecting another drop overnight tonight.

140 to 118 in 5 days.... yeesh... (holding tongue about the maternal heritage of oil company executives)
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

miamix707

Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:39 am

$ 3.77 for 87 octane at a 7-Eleven (Citgo?) near me

So, I put in only $ 4 dollars in my tank today

Loco Hugo, speculators, oil companies, oil industry, peak oil theorists, enviromentalist nuts, etc.... TAKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehe he)

MCOflyer

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:41 am

Tomorrow i'll filler her up at 3.68 a gallon.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

PPVRA

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:52 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 70):
gas being pumped last weekend came from a refinery maybe weeks before.

I don't know how long it takes, but this comes to the following:

Economics is about scarce resources. That's the very basis of it. In a market system, resources are rationed through the price system. That is, prices rise or fall base on the supply and demand concept. Prices rose this week so that there isn't a shortage of gas, and by shortage I mean zero gas left.

Now, it is true what you are saying at least to an extent, and yes the gas stations probably made much more money than usual for as long as their supplies lasted. The reason for this is because of the tight supply outlook, and the "market" (gas stations) acting proactively to start rationing whatever supply is already in the pipes. Even if it hurts, it's better to have gas at the price levels we saw than no gas at all.

I am certainly rationing my gas this week. I drove until my gas light went off, and then I put only 4.5 gallons. I'll be driving with this until the gas light goes off again or gas prices return to more normal levels. I know people who are doing the same, and Miamix707 above is a good example. I'm sure many college kids decided not to drive home this weekend, and others postponed longer driving plans for next week or so.

And really, when I bought gas, I paid $4.15 (mid-grade) and that's only 40c a gallon above what I paid before Ike. That times the 4.5 gallons means I didn't even spent a full $2 extra so far in this "crisis".

[Edited 2008-09-18 20:53:02]

ACDC8

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 74):

Major drop in the GTA now as low as 118.0/litre, common price is 119.8/litre, and they are expecting another drop overnight tonight.

140 to 118 in 5 days.... yeesh... (holding tongue about the maternal heritage of oil company executives)

We're at 140.9 and "holding" ....  no 

Petro Can's little problem with one of their Edmonton refineries a few weeks back caused quite a number of Petro Can stations in the BC interior to run dry, so I guess this is their way of catching up on lost revenue ....  sarcastic 

777ER
Head Moderator

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 am

Prices in New Zealand have dropped very nicly. Several weeks ago it was $2.19 per litre, now its down to $1.96
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

AirframeAS

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:31 pm

The day before yesterday, it was 3.63/gal. at the new 7-Eleven on Church Ranch Rd & US36 in Westminster, Colorado.

Yesterday, as I was arriving work at 4am, it was $3.67/gal. When I left work at 11am, it went back down lower to $3.61/gal. I think it is still the same now, as I have not left the house yet and it is my day off.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

airxliban

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:38 pm

About $1.80 per gallon here in Dubai, it's the fixed UAE national price of AED 6.50 a gallon. Unless they changed it recently. I haven't bought petrol in a while since I sold my car back in June.

Was in Saudi Arabia recently, there the price of petrol is about 40 halalas a litre, which is about 1.6 riyals per gallon, which is about $0.40 per gallon.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

smcmac32msn

Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:02 pm

Last Monday it was $3.699 for regular unleaded, by Tuesday this week it was $4.199 at the same station. As of last night it had dropped to $3.959
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

yooyoo

Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 78):
We're at 140.9 and "holding

sorry to hear that.

$1.13 here / L
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

AirframeAS

Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:33 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 82):
Last Monday it was $3.699 for regular unleaded, by Tuesday this week it was $4.199 at the same station. As of last night it had dropped to $3.959

WTF?! That is a HUGE jump even the oil prices are down. Weird!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Cadet57

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Quoting Airxliban (Reply 81):
Was in Saudi Arabia recently, there the price of petrol is about 40 halalas a litre, which is about 1.6 riyals per gallon, which is about $0.40 per gallon.

Good to know that im subsidizing their cheap gas  sarcastic 

Dougloid

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:30 pm

This afternoon I saw E10 for $3.35 in central Iowa.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Cactus739

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:56 pm

I paid $3.39 a gallon this morning at the Valero near my house.....
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

miamix707

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:42 pm

I refuse to fill up the tank until it drops below the price before the hurricane hit (around here 3.57 - 3.59) for lowest octane. Oil has gone down since then too so it's time gas is cheaper than it was before.

In fact I won't spend more than $20 at a time until it drops to $ 3.50 or below

ACDC8

Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:16 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 83):
sorry to hear that.

$1.13 here / L

I doubt that, you're probably on the floor laughing at us ...  Silly  Wink

QANTAS077

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:42 am

petrol actually spiked 20 c/pl here, its now $1.60 cpl at my local BP, that works out to be just over $6 a gallon AUD.

lewis

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:52 am

Today its €1.117 per litre at my local gas station, there has beeen a short drop of the price lately but its nothing compared to the drop of the oil price. BP and Shell go for at least €1.2 per litre.

WildcatYXU

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:51 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 83):

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 78):
We're at 140.9 and "holding

sorry to hear that.

$1.13 here / L

It was the same in YXU yesterday. It's $ 1.25 per litre here in YHZ.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

j_hallgren

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:29 am

Here on Cape Cod MA, it was $3.69 as best price in nearby town...went just off the Cape (town over the bridge) was $3.49!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

skysurfer

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Here in Kingston, Ontario it went from $1.24 a litre to $1.39 a litre last friday. Luckily i know the ppl at the gas station so i got a call telling me if i needed gas i should get there asap! Most ppl wndered why it went up, but seeing as crude is sold two months in advance then it's no surprise really seeing that the all time high was hit back in July. Now, just over a week later it's sitting at $1.15 a litre....so hopefully with oil being below $100USD a barrel at the mo then November will bring a lil bit of relief! Fingers stupidly crossed!!!!!!!

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

planecrazy2

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:21 pm

At the local Shell in Hawthorne near LAX regular 87 is $3.59/gal.
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

PSA53

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Fontana Arco [email protected] per gal.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

yooyoo

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:33 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 89):
I doubt that, you're probably on the floor laughing at us ...

well, sort of, but i do feel the pain as well.  Wink

It's been $1.185 here for a couple days.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T