Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KAUST
Topic Author

Self Gloss: Volunteer Work

Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:50 am

So, who here happens to volunteer? I had been doing so all my life, but just recently came to the realization of just how much I'd done.

My list, as I can remember it:

1.) Three churches. First two: my former and current congregations, in all aspects from VBS gophering, to serving as an usher, lector, and even assistant minister, which I will be doing the 28th of this month. The third one, a non-demoninational church in Jackson, TN, where I spent a week assisting the more financially hurt folks, whom were devastated by their recent, large, tornado.

2.) Four airports. Scholes Field, in Galveston, Kate Craddock, in Burnet, Texas, and Kittie Hill Airport, in Leander, Texas. All as a gopher and "do this for me, please, boy." And in Marfa Municipal, in Marfa, Texas, doing the same thing, but with gliders! (It's always fun being able to just stand in the middle of an active runway.  yes 

3.) Miscellaneous: one town, Jarrell, Texas, after the huge tornado there in 1997. A food center, as a stocker and delivery driver. Finally, a retirement home, as the Chaplain's assistant. (To the same gentlement whom was instrumental in my ultimate decision not to pursue the priesthood.)

That is all I can remember for now, I have plenty more to come!  Smile

If you would like to share your volunteering past, please feel welcome to do so. Thanks.  Smile
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

Bartonsayswhat

RE: Self Gloss: Volunteer Work

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:07 am

i've spent alot of time in my schools music program and theatre and Technical Director. also have umpired for Softball Canada and Baseball BC for the last 7 years. This winter i will referee icehockey as well.

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:49 am

Its nice to hear you are doing good work which helps others in a small way...Its the right attitude & if everyone does something small for the other person.this place would be as comfortable as it could get.

I've done a few small helps but they are def small compared to your contribitions......But I guess in a small way I have brought a small smile to people who were not smiling earlier.

cheers & keep the good work going.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

jetblueguy22

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:29 am

I've volunteered for Habitat for Humanity Greater Waterbury and an organization called Camp Hope. It's a place for inner city kids whose parents might not be raising them the best. I made stockings and stuffed it with toys and clothes for them.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

MCOflyer

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 am

I used to volunteer at the church where I acumulated over 200 hours worth. In addition, I volunteered at the thrift shop where I acumulated 70 hours. Now I plan on volunteering at the humane society where I intend to learn more about animals.
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

NWADC9

Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:17 pm

I volunteer at my church running slides and lights on Sundays and on other days where there's some sort of production, seminar, or something that needs someone up in the booth. I'm also a backup for my youth group in the same position. Been doing that since 2002 or so at my old church, later going on a four-month hiatus when we switched churches in '04. In addition to that, I occasionally help out in the book store and tape deck at my church as well.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

kevi747

Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:46 pm

It's been a while but in middle/high school I used to volunteer 1 day a week at a local hospital. And during the summers our church youth group would go on "work camps" for Habitat for Humanity and help build houses in poor areas of Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana. I actually had a lot of fun doing both of those.

But I can't hold a candle to my little sister who's in the middle of a 2 1/2 year stint as a volunteer in the US Peace Corps. She's in the Philippines working at a home for orphans and abandoned children.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

extspotter

Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:08 pm

I volunteered for about 9 months working at a PDSA charity shop, it was only saturday mornings, but still adds up to more than 100 hours.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

KAUST
Topic Author

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Nice on all accounts!  yes  Is there really any feeling better than to commit to an act of kindness in order to assist the less fortunate?  Smile

Superfly

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:52 pm

Volunteering is great if you have the time to do it.
I found many 'volunteers' like to toot their own horn and expect to constantly be praised for their work.
If you are genuinely committed to helping people and expect nothing in return, that is great.
Bring back the Concorde

Phoenix9

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
I found many 'volunteers' like to toot their own horn

Superfly, are we talking about your special 'volunteers' from Thailand here? And what 'horn' were they actually tooting??

On the serious end...I totally agree with you. Volunteering in some fields has become a fashion statement. Not only they toot their horn, but act like the world owes them something. The best is volunteering true from heart, without expecting anything in return.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

TylerDurden

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Quoting KAUST (Reply 8):
Is there really any feeling better than to commit to an act of kindness in order to assist the less fortunate?

And then tell everyone you know about it?

I know many people that volunteer, none feel the need to self gloss about it. That's not what it's about.

KAUST
Topic Author

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 10):
The best is volunteering true from heart, without expecting anything in return.

Exactly! The church I volunteered with in TN. said they'd take down our names and home addresses, to send us something. Never got a thing, but I know the true thanks I got from them were in the looks on their faces at the week's end, and that made it all worth it.

Superfly

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 10):
Superfly, are we talking about your special 'volunteers' from Thailand here? And what 'horn' were they actually tooting??

On the serious end...I totally agree with you. Volunteering in some fields has become a fashion statement. Not only they toot their horn, but act like the world owes them something. The best is volunteering true from heart, without expecting anything in return.

Come to think of it, I have ran in to a few 'volunteers' in Thailand that were very self-absorbed, self-glossing, self-appointed martyrs. They were all expats from the USA, Canada, UK, Germany and all other Western countries.
They were no different than the 'volunteer's here at home that were nothing but self-absorbed, self-glossing, self-appointed martyrs that would never survive in a normal work environment.
The term I use for these are Trustafarians.
They are trust fund kids that never really became adults. They come from wealthy families and so they can afford to not work. They think that going to poor countries in Southeast Asia, Africa and Latin America and 'volunteering' is actually making a difference. The locals would rather them spend their money and then leave, just like any other country.
The reality is that they spend most of their time sitting around drinking Singha on Khaosan Rd. bitching about how evil and terrible the United States is. They never take in to consideration why their blue US Passport gets them in to these countries without hassle.

Here's a more accurate definition of these types.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trustafarian

Locally there were a few causes I wanted to volunteer or volunteered briefly but these so-called coordinators acted like little Hitlers. Extremely pushy, unreasonable, never listened to any other's suggestions and were only willing to listen to you if you were praising them.

The only volunteer work I've done and enjoyed doing was on a few political campaigns.
No on Prop R (S.F. initiative that would have repealed rent control) 2003
Yes on Prop 215 legalized medicinal marijuana 1996
No on the recall of governor Grey Davis 2003
District Attorney Terrance Hallinan 1999 and 2003
Mayoral candidate Angela Alioto 2003
Barbara Boxer for Senate 1992, 1998, 2004
Diane Feinstein for Senate 1994
Tom Lantos for Congress 1996, 1998
Howard Berman for Congress 1992

[Edited 2008-09-16 16:41:23]
Bring back the Concorde