Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

US Agrees To Sell Israel Bunker-busters

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:51 am

US agrees to sell Israel bunker-busters

The Associated PressPublished: September 15, 2008

JERUSALEM: The U.S. has agreed to sell 1,000 buster-bunker bombs to Israel — a deal that could significantly improve Israel's ability to strike at Iran's nuclear facilities.

Military experts say an Israeli strike would require bombs that could blast through underground bunkers where some of the Iranian nuclear facilities are located.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/09/15/news/ML-Israel-Iran.php

Spacepope

RE: US Agrees To Sell Israel Bunker-busters

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:38 pm

Strange. Just 3 days ago it was the opposite story:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iEXLBPwNJMRsiAoDPXu0OusCTC4g

"JERUSALEM (AFP) — The United States has turned down an Israeli request for "bunker buster" bombs and mid-air refuelling planes for fear they could be used to attack Iran, the Haaretz newspaper said.

The US administration also refused to give permission for Israeli fighter jets to fly over Iraq -- the quickest route to Iran, it said."

STT757

Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:22 pm

Nothing has been approved, it's a proposed sale which Congress has to approve.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):

I would rather hear that they disapprove it. An attack on Iran could have the worst unexpected consequences including on the US territory and Europe grounds.

agill

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:30 pm

LY744

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):

I hope you're sitting down Madame, because I have to tell you that Israel has already purchased actual bunker buster (not SDBs) bombs from the U.S., most recently a year or two ago.

LY744.

gsosbee

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 3):
I would rather hear that they disapprove it. An attack on Iran could have the worst unexpected consequences including on the US territory and Europe grounds.

So you are ok with Iran having nuclear weapons?

Blackbird

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Will Israel attacking Iran end up dragging us into Iran through one way or another (Iranian retaliation to troops in Iraq)...

Blackbird

sv7887

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:28 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 7):
Will Israel attacking Iran end up dragging us into Iran through one way or another (Iranian retaliation to troops in Iraq)...

Probably. The Iranians have openly said they'll consider the US responsible for any attack whether it's them or Israel. Israel will get the worst of it through Iranian Missiles, Hezbollah and others. The Iranian Navy might make things difficult in the Persian Gulf and the price of oil ought to go right back to $145.

I don't think the Iranians want a war with the US, so it will end likely with Israel getting the worst if it. It seems like the IDF is itching for a rematch with Hezbollah.

moo

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Quoting Gsosbee (Reply 6):

So you are ok with Iran having nuclear weapons?

Prove it and the world will stand behind you (or Israel). But you have yet to prove it.

Same old same old.

sv7887

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:50 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 9):
Prove it and the world will stand behind you (or Israel). But you have yet to prove it.

Same old same old.

Ask the IAEA what they think and Europe for that matter. Kind strange they're pushing for better missile technology and dealing with AQ Khan huh?

gsosbee

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 8):
The Iranian Navy might make things difficult in the Persian Gulf and the price of oil ought to go right back to $145.

Unless the second Jimmy Carter Administration is elected, The Iranian Air Force, Navy and missle forces would be a non-factors 48 hours after they tried something.

Until the Iranian's stop their nuclear weapons development and let IAEA insprectors in, what is the world suposed to do? Trust them???

sv7887

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:57 pm

Quoting Gsosbee (Reply 11):
Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 8):
The Iranian Navy might make things difficult in the Persian Gulf and the price of oil ought to go right back to $145.

Unless the second Jimmy Carter Administration is elected, The Iranian Air Force, Navy and missle forces would be a non-factors 48 hours after they tried something.

Until the Iranian's stop their nuclear weapons development and let IAEA insprectors in, what is the world suposed to do? Trust them???

The problem is not so much the conventional aspect, but the insurgents in Iraq. I don't want to see US troops caught up in that cross fire.

Don't discount them sending a Silkworm at a oil tanker just to screw with the markets.

As far as their trustworthiness you might want to ask the British sailors they kidnapped for no good reason..

Here is the latest IAEA comments:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080915/wl_nm/nuclear_iran_iaea_dc_3

trex8

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):

the likelihood of congress disapproving it , especially for israel , is close to zero. The number of times Congress has disapproved any arms sale can just about be counted on your fingers in the last few decades. Off the top of my head the only time I can recall its been an issue has been some stuff for Saudis (Israeli lobby opposition) and Turks (Greek opposition). also notice how the proposal is sent during congressional recess! if state and pentagon don't think it will get through congress they rarely ever send it. too much political flak.

LY744

Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 7):
Will Israel attacking Iran end up dragging us into Iran through one way or another

Will the U.S. attacking Iran end up dragging Israel into a war? Yes, it definitely would.

The other way around? Probably, but likelihood is still much less.

Quoting Moo (Reply 9):

If you want the details search non-av a few months back, but I'll put this shortly: no country has ever developed the kind of ballistic missiles that Iran already has, without also trying to produce nuclear weapons. Considering Iran makes no secret of building nuclear facilities, this is beyond a no-brainer. I don't know what else you need for proof, Tel-Aviv smoldering live on the BBC?

LY744.

jutes85

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Israel and the US should stop dicking around and end

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 3):

Iran and the rest of the middle east countries won't do anything, they are too weak compared to the Israeli and US militaries. The rest of the middle east would be better off without a nuclear capable Iran.

redflyer

Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:56 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
Military experts say an Israeli strike would require bombs that could blast through underground bunkers where some of the Iranian nuclear facilities are located.

I hope the U.S. has upgraded their bunker-busters since 2003 because several of Saddam's bunkers survived multiple direct hits. Of course, I don't know if the Iranians have had access to those resourceful German engineering companies that built some of Saddam's bunkers, which I think is why some were able to withstand direct hits.

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 15):
The rest of the middle east would be better off without a nuclear capable Iran.

The rest of the Middle East trembles at the thought of a nuclear Iran or any Iran with a potent military force. The only reason you don't hear about it is because of their even bigger fear of seeming to side with the Great Satan, which would only inflame the extremists in their own countries.