Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

moderators
Topic Author

U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 3

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:17 am

Users have requested that we bring some organization to the large number of posts being made about the 2008 U.S. Presidential Election in the non-aviation forum. For this reason, we’re creating ‘official’ threads to provide some structure to the overall subject, and make it easier for readers to contribute and follow the various discussions.

Six threads are being created, including this one. If you want to add a post, please make sure you’re adding it to the most appropriate of the choices shown below:

Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Campaign (this thread)
Official U.S. Election – Obama/Biden Campaign
Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Plans & Policies
Official U.S. Election – Obama/Biden Plans & Policies
Official U.S. Election – Polls & Projections
Official U.S. Election – Humor, Commentary, Etc.

Examples of content appropriate for this thread:

McCain/Palin (and GOP) campaign speeches, interviews, clips, gaffes, sound bites, advertising, press releases, etc.
Please use [email protected] to contact us.

kc135topboom

RE: U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 3

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:32 am

Since Senator McCain has suspended his campaign to help Congress address the current financial problems, he is demonstrating leadership and putting country above ambishions.

Unlike Senator Obama, McCain knows he is still a US Senator.

QANTAS077

Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:01 am

he's not actually involved in anything to do with bill, as I understand it's already been agreed upon and will be debated and voted on, so what is it that McCain is going to do in DC? I can't wait for the live feed outta DC showing McCain saving the day...oops, that's already done.

and just what is it that he'll address? this man who admits he knows nothing about the economy is now an economist that knows what's best? give me a break...political grandstanding at it's best, downside for McCain is that everyone else can see it.

but you know who's been absent for more than 60% of the senate voting this year....if your silly enough to fall for this crap then you don't deserve the right to vote.

McCain is tip & no iceberg.

[Edited 2008-09-25 02:12:46]

Dreadnought

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:23 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 1):
Since Senator McCain has suspended his campaign to help Congress address the current financial problems, he is demonstrating leadership and putting country above ambishions.

Absolutely. Both are sitting senators, collecting a salary to do work in the senate. I would be pretty upset if one of my employees took a leave of absence to run for office, and refused to come back if I needed him. In fact, I would have fired him!

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 2):
he's not actually involved in anything to do with bill, as I understand it's already been agreed upon and will be debated and voted on,

You understand wrong. This bill is in deep trouble and has to be rewritten.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

baroque

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:40 am

Certainly the bill has to be rewrittten but I doubt either candidate or Biden or the Gov of Alaska will be the ones to do that.

Meanwhile, declaring the innings at about 70 for 6 due to bad light while following on is an interesting technique. Sorry I don't know if there is a baseball analogy. At least some Americans will be able to comment what the method resembles.

It could be interpreted as an indication of "this problem is rather too big for me to have an opinion to be put in the public arena". That is, it seems to indicate a lack of an ability to lead rather than being a mark of anything positive.

QANTAS077

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:59 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 4):
This bill is in deep trouble and has to be rewritten.

you understand wrong...do some digging champ.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...ative-bailout-deal-2008-09-24.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine..._developmentssep25,0,4269636.story

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...0925?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE48O0E620080925

its closer to being finalised than re-written....but as usual with McCain its flip-flop, Sunday he was for the bail-out, Tuesday he didn't have a clue what was in it, Wednesday he's out n about looking at the polls and by Wednesday night he's off to DC via Katie Couric and Bill Clinton's gigs.

hmmmm....fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

[Edited 2008-09-25 05:02:07]

QANTAS077

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 4):
That is, it seems to indicate a lack of an ability to lead rather than being a mark of anything positive.

tip & no iceberg! I think that's the quote your looking for.  Wink

baroque

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 6):
That is, it seems to indicate a lack of an ability to lead rather than being a mark of anything positive.

tip & no iceberg! I think that's the quote your looking for.

Ah yes, indeed, the all tip and no iceberg syndrome.  checkmark  Very appropriate and you are right I was lost for the bon mot.

Memo to ABC - Time to wheel out Paul (Keating) baby for a few more quotable quotes.

voodoo

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 pm

McCain has now blinked and contradicted himself on the 'fundamentally sound' economy.

I don't see any need to bail out of a debate. He has a phone and he has a plane.. he's never more than a few hours away.

McCain's announcement reminded me of Al Haig after Reagan got shot. His tone simultaneously created media panic while ineffectively trying to politically 'reassure' i.e. assert non-existant authority.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

sv7887

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 5):
its closer to being finalised than re-written....but as usual with McCain its flip-flop, Sunday he was for the bail-out, Tuesday he didn't have a clue what was in it, Wednesday he's out n about looking at the polls and by Wednesday night he's off to DC via Katie Couric and Bill Clinton's gigs.

Read your own links:

"They're still wrangling over major elements, including how to phase in the eye-popping cost -- a measure demanded by Democrats and some Republicans who want stronger congressional control over the bailout -- without spooking markets. A plan to let the government take an ownership stake in troubled companies as part of the rescue, rather than just buying bad debt, also was under intense negotiation.

A bipartisan meeting was set for Thursday to begin drafting a compromise, which top Democrats said they hoped could pass within days."

Doesn't sound like anything is written in stone yet...

Here's another take on it:

Frank added that he believes Pelosi has a minimum threshold of Republican votes necessary to bring the bill forward, but he said he did not know what that number was.

“They’re not even close to having enough votes,” said Rep. Jason Altmire (D-Pa.), a freshman facing a tough reelection. “This has to be bipartisan.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) pleaded for Republicans to support the package, which conservatives have roundly criticized as too expensive and an overreach of federal power.

Reid said Tuesday that only one Republican on the Banking panel could be counted on to support the proposal first floated by Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke. "

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...ins-bailout-gambit-2008-09-24.html

As for flip flopping...No one knew exactly what was going on....In the words of Harry Reid, "There isn't anything we can do"

And then there is Obama....Biden was for the bailout before he was against it, and Obama has to go on TV and chastise his own VP...Obama doesn't even get the name of AIG right in his press release and notably doesn't give a position. Then he delays his economic plan unveiling to "Sleep on it" That's not leadership that's like leaving a patient in the ER to code...On top of it he engages in this petty Main Street versus Wall St politics when he knows full well over 50% of Americans have money invested in the stock market, and corporations are dependent upon the capital markets for loans...Ask GM, they just tapped their last $4 billion credit line from those "evil" Wall Street firms..

I guess you missed the part where the bailout package has been re-written several times. It's nice to know I'll be bailing out irresponsible idiots for the better part of my life...

gosimeon

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:24 pm

McCain has pulled this as a stunt, to make people suddenly think he's the "go-to" man o the economy, even though previously he has admitted how he knows fairly little about it. He could easily have the debate tomorrow without it interfering with Congress. He could easily keep his ads running without it interfering with Congress also. This is just a show, but it seems Obama has caught his bluff and is going to continue with the election campaign, and importantly the debate.

McCain is falling behind. No way would he try to slow things down if he was ahead in the polls. I think he could end up regretting this little side-step.

DocLightning

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 pm

Quoting Gosimeon (Reply 10):
McCain has pulled this as a stunt, to make people suddenly think he's the "go-to" man o the economy, even though previously he has admitted how he knows fairly little about it. He could easily have the debate tomorrow without it interfering with Congress. He could easily keep his ads running without it interfering with Congress also. This is just a show, but it seems Obama has caught his bluff and is going to continue with the election campaign, and importantly the debate.

My view is this:

I view with extreme suspicion any candidate who believes that any crisis is a reason to delay the democratic process.

If Mr. McCain would like to withdraw his bid for President, let him. But if he becomes President and some crisis comes up before the next election, will he attempt to push the election back? I find that to be an alarming philosophy. In fact, it smacks of fascism.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

sv7887

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:30 pm

It could be interpreted as an indication of "this problem is rather too big for me to have an opinion to be put in the public arena". That is, it seems to indicate a lack of an ability to lead rather than being a mark of anything positive.

Harry Reid played this game of wanting McCain's support on the bill so he could blame him if it went bad..

"Reid specifically challenged McCain on Tuesday to take a position on the bailout package.

“I got some good news in the last hour or so … it appears that Sen. McCain is going to come out for this,” Reid announced.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...to-support-bailout-2008-09-23.html

McCain calls his bluff and actually shows up and now Harry is telling him his presence is not needed. At the same time McCain throws Obama a curve, and we all know how well Obama works when he's not on a script...

It's political football. I will be interested to see how this one turns out. I do think our Senators should be doing their job and making sure the bailout package is in the public's interest.

I'd be surprised if that debate doesn't happen....I don't know if you remember the history of the Kennedy-Nixon debates, but Kennedy would wait until the last moment to actually show up to the debate vastly un-nerving Nixon.

It's mind games and politics as usual nothing new here.

QANTAS077

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:30 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 7):
Memo to ABC - Time to wheel out Paul (Keating) baby for a few more quotable quotes.

if Paul Keating was an American politician then I dare say the US would be in much better shape.

Quoting Voodoo (Reply 9):
I don't see any need to bail out of a debate. He has a phone and he has a plane.. he's never more than a few hours away.

even worse that he said it wasn't about politics & was suspending all political activity before he & Obama could come together and agree on a joint statement...this whole thing stinks of cheap politics...he chose political advantage over bipartisanship.

sv7887

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:34 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 12):
Quoting Voodoo (Reply 9):

even worse that he said it wasn't about politics & was suspending all political activity before he & Obama could come together and agree on a joint statement...this whole thing stinks of cheap politics...he chose political advantage over bipartisanship.

Wow, given Obama voted with his own party over 95% of the time, hardly "bipartisanship"
If you don't think Obama hasn't been playing politics this week you are further in the tank for Obama than I believed possible. He's been painting an excessively negative picture of the economy this week and engaging in Main Street Vs Wall Street partisan politics.

Yeah cheap politics....

QANTAS077

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:40 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):
I view with extreme suspicion any candidate who believes that any crisis is a reason to delay the democratic process.

just seems to me that McCain is now attempting to dictate the campaign, asking for debate date changes for himself, then asking for one for Palin too, appalling.

QXatFAT

Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:43 pm

McCain is not the only one going back to DC in talks with President Bush correct? I thought I read that Obama is heading back as well per Bush's request to work on this bill. So wouldnt it be both sides putting the campaining to the side for a few days?
Don't Tread On Me!

luv2fly

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:06 pm

What is shows is that McCain is unable to juggle and focus on more than one task at a time. Sad, because in life there are no time outs.

McCain is falling behind. No way would he try to slow things down if he was ahead in the polls. I think he could end up regretting this little side-step.

Old man running scared is what it is. Deflect, deflect and then deflect some more.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 15):
just seems to me that McCain is now attempting to dictate the campaign, asking for debate date changes for himself, then asking for one for Palin too, appalling.

I believe his goal is to try and get the Vice-President debate droped. After all the less she speaks the better.

He was supposed to be on Lettermen last night and he canceled to run back to Washington though he made the trip back to Washington via a interview with KAtie Couric first....
You can cut the irony with a knife

mt99

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:07 pm

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...to-propose-postponing-vp-debate-2/

I guess the campaign managers were not impressed by her performance with Katie Couric either,, LOL
Step into my office, baby

gosimeon

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 17):
Sad, because in life there are no time outs.

Especially when you are President of the USA!

luv2fly

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 18):

I guess the campaign managers were not impressed by her performance with Katie Couric either,, LOL

What would be sad is if there were impressed with what she delivered. She is starting to make Dan Quayle look like a rocket scientist.
You can cut the irony with a knife

baroque

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:17 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 20):
She is starting to make Dan Quayle look like a rocket scientist.

Seems very unfair to rocket scientists? The most cerebral lot seem to be the particle physicists.

Amazing that the Bush speech does not have a thread. It rather impacts on both the McCain/Palin and the Obama/Biden campaigns. Then again, the fracas between the Admin and Congress is not getting much coverage, nor the FBI sleuthing around.

Overall, there seems more interest in US current affairs in Aus than in the US if you were to go by the threads in a.net.  scratchchin 

Nothing on who will buy what. What will be the power of Wall St at the end of this? Like it or not, the power of Wall St has been a fair bit of the power of the US. Amazing.

StuckInCA

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:31 pm

I can't believe the defenders of all things GOP are defending McCain's attempt to postpone the debate.

McCain has pulled this as a stunt, to make people suddenly think he's the "go-to" man o the economy, even though previously he has admitted how he knows fairly little about it.

Exactly. It's a shallow attempt to make it appear that his contribution is essential. Further, by wishing to continue the debate, he tries to make it appear that he's more dedicated to the country. Rubbish.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):

I agree.

What is shows is that McCain is unable to juggle and focus on more than one task at a time. Sad, because in life there are no time outs.

It's just a few hours. He shouldn't need to be locked in a room being spoon fed lines (like Palin) so he should be able to do other work in the meantime.

Arrow

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:31 pm

I believe his goal is to try and get the Vice-President debate droped. After all the less she speaks the better.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 18):

I watched some of that -- it was painful! What I find more troubling than anything else is that with three weeks of "cramming" and intense briefing (at least I hope that's what they were doing) she still can't answer simple questions, or give any impression that there's a brain up there.

She just spews pre-packaged sound bites, and can't even do that very well. You have to wonder now whether or not this formerly-articulate speaker has been muzzled by party strategists terrified by what she might blurt out if she says what she really thinks. Reminds me of Dr. Strangelove and the fight to keep that arm from springing up into a Nazi salute.

The only other possibility is, she's not a fast learner. I could almost forgive her for being less-than-informed at the outset (almost), but how could she still be so ignorant with weeks of briefing? My students grasp these concepts more quickly than that. This is all sizzle, no steak.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

md80fanatic

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 18):

I am not impressed as long as all she is allowed to say is "John McCain this and John McCain that....." Effff John McCain. Anyone can sit there and prop up John McCain.....but what about "her"? If McCain takes a dirt nap, should we be treated to his "Mini Me"? If the Republican's cannot allow her to run free with the questions...then they will once again lose my support.

Praying the host of the VP debate forces Sarah to expose some of her own personal views for America to hear.....if all they do is repeatedly ask her about McCain and Bush....she will be completely ineffective. People can tell when a non-washington "pro" does not actually "believe" what they are saying, but merely towing a line.

StuckInCA

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:38 pm

And now the more likely actual motivation for trying to postpone the presidential debate.... to postpone the VICE presidential debate. To an "unknown" date.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...to-propose-postponing-vp-debate-2/

This is all so silly. They won't let anyone have access to Palin. They're trying to format (reformat?) the debate to only discuss McCain's positions rather than her views, qualifications or experience and to reduce question and answer time. Now, they want to move the debate to an "unknown" date.

Enough. Let us hear from Palin.

md80fanatic

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 26):
Enough. Let us hear from Palin.

Agreed.  thumbsup 

andz

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:46 pm

I find it interesting that this side of the campaign is on the third thread but the other side only has 19 replies....
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Mir

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:02 pm

The debate should go on, but it should be on the economy as opposed to foreign policy. And McCain should show up. The American people are concerned, and they deserve to hear how both Obama and McCain intend to proceed going forward. McCain ducking out is a cheap move. If he doesn't want to go on the campaign trail, fine, and I'd support that. But you have to go to the debates.

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 24):
I am not impressed as long as all she is allowed to say is "John McCain this and John McCain that....." Effff John McCain. Anyone can sit there and prop up John McCain.....but what about "her"?

Did I just agree with MD80fanatic?  Wow!

Look out for flying pigs.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

md80fanatic

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:19 pm

I know that Palin did what a conservation ought to do over the course of her political career in Alaska. She started small and cleaned house all the way to the top. There were missteps along the way, mistakes made, people upset....but she did do what she said she was going to do, People have to give her that much. It's not often we on the mainland are treated to a politician who actually does what they say.

Sadly (and most distressingly), it appears the pig sty in DC is just too expansive, too deep in poop, and for too long.....for one tough woman to clean up all by herself. So then she has to be muzzled, like we are seeing now. We once had a President who tried hard to avert the economic disaster we all face today, and that was Kennedy.....his solution was -not- very popular on Wall Street, to say the very least. Perhaps there is no hope for us, after all.

frown 

baroque

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:26 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 27):
I find it interesting that this side of the campaign is on the third thread but the other side only has 19 replies....

Well 53 but only because I pop in from time to time to chirp it up a bit! Not even Sv and Rj are persisting. I am sure it tells us something, but what Andz, what?  scratchchin   spin   swirl   tired  ?Somewhere in there!

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):
But you have to go to the debates.

Maybe Simon and Garfunkel will have to write another song for these debates?

Has a candidate ever conceded ahead of time? Not that McC is doing that - yet! But he seems sufficiently eccentric that even that must be a possible outcome.

mt99

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):

Look out for flying pigs. Smile

Flying Pigs with lipstick  Smile

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 29):
So then she has to be muzzled,

So what is the point in even having her?

AirCop

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:37 pm

You're kidding..

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 3):
Absolutely. Both are sitting senators, collecting a salary to do work in the senate. I would be pretty upset if one of my employees took a leave of absence to run for office, and refused to come back if I needed him. In fact, I would have fired him!

Then I guess, McCain would have been fired a long time ago.

What is shows is that McCain is unable to juggle and focus on more than one task at a time.

This is about right. Even George Will stated that McCain isn't acting presidential.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 25):
And now the more likely actual motivation for trying to postpone the presidential debate.... to postpone the VICE presidential debate. To an "unknown" date.

checkmark  Even the most die-hard GOP supporters are admitting the selection of Paltin was a mistake.

StuckInCA

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Palin won't reveal her finances until after debate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_el_pr/palin_finances

Why? 'Cause the form is too complicated?

"Most importantly, because Governor Palin has not previously run for federal office, it is clear to us that additional time is required to compile and prepare Governor Palin's financial information," Potter wrote. "As you are well aware, the Executive Branch financial disclosure form is vastly more complex than most state disclosure forms, and requires the assemblage of a quantity and level of detail far beyond that reported previously by the governor in Alaska and therefore readily available."

Is this the level of capability and preparation we should expect from a Palin/McCain ticket?

mt99

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:47 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 33):

Why? 'Cause the form is too complicated?

She is too busy talking to the press.. oh wait..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_el_pr/palin_finances

"WASHINGTON - Sarah Palin requested and received an extension of the deadline for revealing her personal finances, until the day after her only debate with Democrat Joe Biden. "

Until the day after!!. WOW. They could have said 1 week later. It just so happens that the forms will be ready the minute that the debate is scheduled to be over. What a coincidence!

[Edited 2008-09-25 09:49:30]

Ken777

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:53 pm

Actually McCain is trying to show the country that he has "Leadership" by stepping into a process that is moving towards a conclusion. Now the principles have to stop their work for half a day in order for McCain to have his grand meeting in the White House. I assume Bush will let him take over the leadership of that meeting while he sits there and sucks his thumb. Not.

The very real risks that McCain face are (1) being told he doesn't have a seat on any of the committees handling the problem so his involvement in their work isn't welcome and (2) since he's in DC his job can be rounding up all of the Republicans in the House that are against the bailout. With all of the House going up for re-election in less than 40 days that might be a good job for him.

Since McCain has missed more votes in the Senate than Obama that statement appears to be pointing in the wrong direction.

Obama has been in daily contact with the FED and Treasury on the issue and was asked to avoid making it political. I assume that McCain had the same level of communications, but chose to make it highly political when his ratings started falling.

His little game does present an interesting concept. As either McCain or Obama will become President on January 20th how much of an influence should they have in developing the bailout? The first year or two of the next Presidency will be impacted severely by this bailout and it might be wise for them to have a say. That might mean a partial bailout to last until after the elections, with Congress then pulled back in and the President Elect being given the influence to direct the rest of the bailout in a manner that best suits their long term plans.

11Bravo

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:12 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 29):
Sadly (and most distressingly), it appears the pig sty in DC is just too expansive, too deep in poop, and for too long.....for one tough woman to clean up all by herself.

The last part of that is an unrealistic expectation even in the best possible circumstance. If elected, she would hold an office that has virtually no power. Both Gore and Cheney have been active VPs, and that is a significant departure from previous occupants of that office to be sure, but the VP's ability to actually do much of anything is very limited. When you add into that a person who has no experience at the Federal level, it seems very unlikely we would see much of anything in terms of systemic reform.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 25):

I think you are right on the mark here. It is becoming increasingly obvious that the McCain campaign is making every effort to insure that Palin will only participate in scripted campaign events; no questions, no press interaction, no thinking on your feet.

At the end of the day, I think that's a bad move by McCain. It shows weakness and lack of confidence. There was a significant "Palin Bounce" coming out of the RNC convention, but that lead is gone now. This isn't the world of small-time Alaska politics anymore; this is the Majors.
WhaleJets Rule!

mt99

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 36):
It is becoming increasingly obvious that the McCain campaign is making every effort to insure that Palin will only participate in scripted campaign events; no questions, no press interaction, no thinking on your feet.

She was asked 4 questions today. But only answered 3. And although there were 3 different questions, she had the same response for 2 of them.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...s-for-first-time/?iref=werecommend

AGM100

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Why do you want to hear from her so bad ? .... your not voting for them anyway. And name one other VP candidate who was out there beating the press circuit in the first 2 -3 weeks. Dont worry , she will be out there ... but she isnt going to win any of you over anyway. Kady Kurack first question too her ... Name one Bill McCain has sponsored to improve over sight ?? There you go ,, out of the gate hard. Obama first question ... so how did you meet your wife . See ?
Its cool , she will have to handle it or she will become a boat anchor.

And to add she should have known about the bill McCain sponsored in 2006 to implement immediate oversight of the FM's and the precious "Angelo VIP Club.. amazing"
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

StuckInCA

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 38):
Why do you want to hear from her so bad ?

Why don't you want to hear from her? She's in a position where if something happens to a rather old John McCain with a history of health problems, she'd be the most powerful person on the planet. I think we should want to hear from her.

And name one other VP candidate who was out there beating the press circuit in the first 2 -3 weeks

Name one other VP candidate who has been shielded from the press AND the public in anywhere near this fashion. Name one who hasn't been available for the press to ask questions AT ALL in this many weeks of candidacy.

Dont worry , she will be out there

Will she? When? At an "unknown" date?

mt99

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Why do you want to hear from her so bad ?

Because its so entertaining. Why do people stop and see a train wreck?

There you go ,, out of the gate hard. Obama first question ... so how did you meet your wife . See ?

Tha'ts what you get for being evasive. If you have her hit her hard, because you are not going to get her again. You got to make your questions count.

Arrow

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:55 pm

To be fair the question "will you vote for them" should be answered with "None of your business who I vote for, we have a secret ballot in the country and there are good reasons for that." But you have to be quick on your feet to point that out, and she's anything but quick on her feet.

And for this quote from her opening statement:

"I wish every American would come through here. I wish every world leader would come through here, and understand what it is that took place here and more importantly how America came together and united to commit to never allowing this to happen again."

It's my recollection that a hell of a lot of world leaders have indeed visited Ground Zero, and it might be useful to ask Sarah if today's visit was her first. Since she aspires to be a world leader herself, I'd be interested to know if she's toured -- or plans to tour -- any terrorist targets in other parts of the world so she can "understand" where they are coming from when it comes to fighting terrorism. Spain, Bali, London would be useful stops.

I sure hope the VP debate doesn't get cancelled by McCain.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

StuckInCA

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:58 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 41):
"I wish every American would come through here. I wish every world leader would come through here, and understand what it is that took place here and more importantly how America came together and united to commit to never allowing this to happen again."

Another interesting perspective on this is the obvious or not-so-obvious attempt to connect this to Iraq. How many people who were there on 9/11 don't vote Republican and/or didn't support invading Iraq? A fair number I'm guessing.

AGM100

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:03 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 40):
Why don't you want to hear from her? She's

Dont worry , we will .... and it does not matter at this point she is on the ticket. And to add she has already done a big interview on ABC ,FOX And NBC Katey .

Again it does not matter what she says ... most of you on here will hammer the crap out of it. Unlike some ... uh uh uh someone else uh uh we know.

mt99

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 43):
Again it does not matter what she says ... most of you on here will hammer the crap out of it

The thing is that all this "hammering" has been brought onto by the campaign from hiding her.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 43):
And to add she has already done a big interview on ABC ,FOX And NBC Katey .

And did you see how they went? Did she calm concerns about herself or raise them?

Again, why do people stop to see a car crash?

AGM100

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 44):
Again, why do people stop to see a car crash?

I dont , I have seen crushed skulls and popping eye balls in my life. I see your point and I really dont know the answer , just wish I would have seen the same fervor about the other candidate when we went for 6 months without many questions at all.

StuckInCA

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:28 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 45):
wish I would have seen the same fervor about the other candidate when we went for 6 months without many questions at all

...about people who have been in the nat'l spotlight for years. And take and respond to spontaneous questions from the press and the public.  Yeah sure

11Bravo

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:32 pm

.... your not voting for them anyway.

I was leaning toward Obama before the conventions, but I've always been impressed by McCain. As a political centrist, I was leaving all options open. However, when McCain picked Palin, I was shocked. He picked who? I've had my fill of rank-amature religious nutcase politicians who have no business in the Oval Office during the last eight years. Thanks, but no thanks.

And name one other VP candidate who was out there beating the press circuit in the first 2 -3 weeks.

Okay,... starting in '52:

Nixon
Sparkman
Kefauver
Johnson
Lodge
Humphrey
Miller
Agnew
Muskie
Shriver
Mondale
Dole
Bush
Ferraro
Quayle
Bentsen
Gore
Stockdale
Kemp
Cheney
Lieberman
Edwards
Biden

The answer is ALL of them. They all gave interviews, and were made available to the national press. The press black-out and sequestration of Palin is unpresidented.

Its cool , she will have to handle it or she will become a boat anchor.

The boat-anchor effect is already occuring in a significant way.
WhaleJets Rule!

AirCop

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Well, it looks like the Senate has reached a bi-partisan agreement without the help of the senior senator from Arizona, who was in such a hurry to get back to Washington, that he had to make a side stop at the Clinton bash.

StuckInCA

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:19 pm

McCain campaign won't commit to debate on Friday

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...9/25/politics/p110751D26.DTL&tsp=1

John McCain's campaign expressed cautious optimism Thursday as congressional Republicans and Democrats agreed in principle on a $700 billion bailout of the financial industry...

Even so, the action didn't appear to be strong enough to convince McCain to attend Friday's scheduled presidential debate.

Come on John. It's time.

Interestingly, he's backed out of debates before. Rewind to 2000

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...9/25/politics/p110751D26.DTL&tsp=1

With new polls showing his campaign dead in the water among California Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain has pulled out of a long-scheduled debate with Texas Gov. George Bush, set for Thursday in Los Angeles.