Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

luv2fly

RE: U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 3

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Myself I think they should play this video prior to the debate to set the record straight so to say and then let Biden at her.

You can cut the irony with a knife

mt99

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:53 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 250):
McCain needs to get her out their and let her be herself. We want to see what she's got and how she reacts .

From transcrips form the latest Couric interview, McCain makes Palin sound like a child who is speaking out of turn when she talks
""So, Gov. Palin, are you two (she and McCain) on the same page?" Couric asked.

"...We will do what we have to do to secure the United Sates and her allies," Palin said.

"Is that something you shouldn't say out loud, Sen. McCain?" Couric asked.

"Of course not," McCain snapped. "But look, I understand this day and age gotcha journalism... Grab a phrase. Gov. Palin and I agree that you don't announce that you're going to attack another country."

"Are you sorry you said it?" Couric asked returning to Palin.

"Wait a minute," McCain said interrupting. "Before you say is she sorry she said it, this was a gotcha sound bite that...

"It wasn't a gotcha," Couric insisted. "She was talking to a voter."

"No," McCain insisted back, "she was in a conversation with a group of people talking back and forth, and I'll let Gov. Palin speak for herself."

When Couric asked Palin what she learned "from that experience," the candidate replied, "That this is all about gotcha journalism...."

Couric was again focused and forceful in her questioning: "Gov. Palin, since our last interview, you have gotten a lot of flak. Some Republicans have said you are not prepared, you're not ready for prime time... And I'm curious to hear your reaction."

"Well, not only am I ready but willing and able to serve as vice president with Sen. McCain if Americans so bless us and privilege us with the opportunity of serving them -- ready with my executive experience as a city mayor and manager, as a governor, as a commissioner, a regulator of oil and gas,

And again, McCain stepped in to defend his running mate.

"This is not the first time I've seen a governor being questioned by some quote expert," he said making qotation marks with his fingers. "I

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ente...ccain_palin_and_couric_the_fu.html

[Edited 2008-09-30 09:54:57]
Step into my office, baby

AGM100

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 251):
From transcrips form the latest Couric interview, McCain makes Palin sound like a child who is speaking out of turn when she talks

I dont disagree , I said in my post that she has some serious problems. But I also pointed out that no quarter is given to her , and it should not be. Just for the record wanted to point out the different tone of the media when it comes to the first term senator from Illinois. For instance I never herd that of the 250 or so votes he cast , 200 were "present" or no vote . One of the problems is that for the first year he was running against Hillary Clinton. He and Hillary basically agree on everything , and the press was careful to not damage either candidate until a leader appeared. No one wanted to get tough on them until late in the race when it looked like Sen Obama might actually win. As soon as Hillary began losing ground the press began to hit on her a little harder . Sen Obama was given what we call a GENFAM program for the first year or so. Nice broad based friendly questions to give the people a idea of who the candidate is and stuff about his family and past life etc.

The press is digging and digging on Palin and that is what they should do. Lets just hope they do a little digging on Biden and highlight some of his very questionable decisions and comments....
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

scrubbsywg

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:08 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 246):
CBS says everything is released.

I was a bit wrong, after some searching on the net what is still out there is from a different interview series where Couric asks palin and biden the same questions, so yes, it sounds like all of the train wreck that was the couric-palin interview is released, but there is more to come from couric-palin.

Dreadnought

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 183):
I've seen hard core Obama haters come away embarrassed by the Palin interviews and reluctantly state they're gonna have to switch sides.

Huh? If you are hard-core anti-Obama, nothing about Palin will make you change sides.

I'd rather vote for Ronald Reagan. Yes, I know he's a corpse, and would have to be propped up behind the Resolution Desk, and the smell might be interesting, but he'd still be a better president than Obama.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

StuckInCA

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:26 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 253):
I was a bit wrong, after some searching on the net what is still out there is from a different interview series where Couric asks palin and biden the same questions, so yes, it sounds like all of the train wreck that was the couric-palin interview is released, but there is more to come from couric-palin.

I just stumbled across some info. It seems that the only Supreme Court case she's aware of is Roe vs. Wade. Apparently she just sits silently instead of talking when asked about other cases.

Don't know if it's true or not.

md80fanatic

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 244):
Based on.... his "gut."

I use a gut feeling for everything. It is all I can trust 100% of the time. People lie all the time, the best liars you will never know are lying unless you use your "gut".....unless you happen to be on the inside and know the real truth (and if that is you, you are as guilty and as much a liar as the one you would be protecting).

I cannot believe you even had the gall to question my use of the gut feeling, when in the course of gevernmental historical events, there have been far more skilled liars in office than not....yet you and nearly everyone else buys into a well spoken line as if this is the very first election you have ever experienced. Fool me once........you know how it goes.

And when you age a little more, you will become more cynical and less trustworthy of the "saviours" you will so quickly jump in front of a bus for at this time. Don't you know any older (and automatically wiser) people? Why is it they always have a different view of life than you do? Is it because you think they are no longer lucid enough to make sound decisions?

You will always be doomed to repeat history if all you want to do is to strut around with a superiority complex, yacking on your phone......while refusing to consult those who have lived full lives before you were just a dream in mama and papa's eyes.

Education doesn't mean shit in the real world. I know heart surgeons that cannot decide what direction water flows through a pump. I shit you not.

StuckInCA

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 256):
I cannot believe you even had the gall to question my use of the gut feeling

Why? I find it frightening that in the face of overwhelming evidence that Palin is terribly unqualified to be VP or president of the US, you shrug it off because you have a good "gut" feeling about her. I have every right to find that frightening. Nothing to do with gall.

Don't you know any older (and automatically wiser) people? Why is it they always have a different view of life than you do? Is it because you think they are no longer lucid enough to make sound decisions?

What are you rambling on about? What does this have to do with anything? I know a lot of people older than me. Some wiser, some not. Some think differently than I do, many do not. I never questioned whether anyone was lucid or not. I might have to rethink that now though.

Education doesn't mean shit in the real world.

Keep telling yourself that. I think there's plenty to learn in the world that isn't what's taught in school, but your view is pretty damn simplistic. For some percentage of the population, that's fine. If we all had that attitude, it would be a big problem.

You want to go back to the days of hunter gatherers. Fine. Throw away your computer. My education helps produce the products that make it. People with educations contribute in every sector including the design of the pump you feel so strongly about.

JBirdAV8r

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 254):
Resolution Desk

Small history nit-pick just because I think it's interesting...it's the Resolute desk, made from the timber of the HMS Resolute and presented to the presidency by I think Queen Victoria.

It's neat.

Sorry, just had to say -something- to break up the tone of the thread... Smile
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

md80fanatic

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:09 pm

I recommend everyone read Gene Healy's "The Cult of the Presidency". Right off the bat he lists the actuals duties of a President....and it is less than 10% of the omniscient savior stuff than nearly everyone here thinks the President's duty.

It is because we expect the President to be everything to everyone, naturally those selected to man such an office actively tries (using all methods at their disposal) to garner the power needed to accomplish such. Then we bitch about the power grab. It's about time we take the Prez off the pedestal we have put him/her on......and get real.

When you only consider the President's actual Constitutional responsibilities, every candidate running today is more than qualified to be there (as are you, me, and every other American of at least 14 years and at least 35 years of age).

mt99

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:11 pm

Education doesn't mean shit in the real world. I know heart surgeons that cannot decide what direction water flows through a pump. I shit you not.

And i know plumber that do not know their Aorta from their Pulmonary vein. I shit you not,

The question is, why would you call a heart surgeon when you need a pump looked at? and why would u call a plumber for heart surgery? No. You need the right person with the right skill set for the right job

StuckInCA

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:15 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 259):
When you only consider the President's actual Constitutional responsibilities, every candidate running today is more than qualified to be there (as are you, me, and every other American of at least 14 years and at least 35 years of age).

OK. NOW I'm frightened.

You think every American 14 years old is qualified to be president of the US? Or any age?

Speechless.

Dreadnought

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:36 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 258):
Small history nit-pick just because I think it's interesting...it's the Resolute desk, made from the timber of the HMS Resolute and presented to the presidency by I think Queen Victoria.

My bad.

There's a company out there that makes replicas of it.

http://www.victorianreplicas.info/
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

luv2fly

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:17 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 255):
I just stumbled across some info. It seems that the only Supreme Court case she's aware of is Roe vs. Wade. Apparently she just sits silently instead of talking when asked about other cases.

Well given the chance McCain and Palin want to overturn this and effectively take away a womans choice.
You can cut the irony with a knife

mt99

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:25 pm

Here it is.. latest episode in the country's favorite comedy...

McCain looks like he is cringing when she is talking..

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...te/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=30928

TransIsland

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 244):
Based on.... his "gut."

You sure it's the gut and not a few inches further down?
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

BlueElephant

Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:20 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 261):
OK. NOW I'm frightened.

You think every American 14 years old is qualified to be president of the US? Or any age?

Speechless.

Pretty sure he meant any person who is 35 years old and has been an American citizen for at least 14 years.

StuckInCA

Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:28 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 266):
Pretty sure he meant any person who is 35 years old and has been an American citizen for at least 14 years.

Still a frightening thought. If what he means is "legally eligible" to be president then OK.

He said every American meeting these requirements is "more than qualified."

I think the person with, arguably, more power than anyone else in the world should be a little more qualified than that.

Zentraedi

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:46 am

Huh? If you are hard-core anti-Obama, nothing about Palin will make you change sides.

I'd rather vote for Ronald Reagan. Yes, I know he's a corpse, and would have to be propped up behind the Resolution Desk, and the smell might be interesting, but he'd still be a better president than Obama.

Sorry, I meant "hard-core, yet rational".

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:13 am

Based on what you called him before your post was deleted, that's not really very surprising.

I would sort of be amused by a pickled Reagan propped up behind a desk. Maybe he could throw more homeless mentally ill people out onto the streets to commit crimes. Then we can arrest them and put them in prison. Again.

Zentraedi

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:32 am

Wow, this is another terrible face-in-palms clip:

I'm speechless for now...

MOBflyer

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:45 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 239):
The worst is of course Sarah Palin's education...an undergraduate degree from the University of Idaho!!!!!!! Are you kidding me????? There is nothing wrong with the University of Idaho, if you are running for mayor of a small town or a state with 13 people and some carribou...but as V.P. of the United States....she definetely lacks education!!!!!! America, what in the world are you thinking??????

You place entirely too much emphasis on the brand of the education when determining the level and quality of education received.

Just guessing, but I bet you don't care too much for George W. Bush. He would in fact have completely topped your list there.

George W got a BA from Yale and an MBA from Harvard. He is the only president to have an MBA under his belt.

Go figure....

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:47 am

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 270):
Wow, this is another terrible face-in-palms clip

Oh my. That's shocking. She just keeps outdoing herself. Really.

If this woman somehow ends up being president I will probably shrivel up and die. Just like McCains integrity did sometime in the past 6 months.

TransIsland

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:59 am

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 271):
Just guessing, but I bet you don't care too much for George W. Bush. He would in fact have completely topped your list there.

George W got a BA from Yale and an MBA from Harvard. He is the only president to have an MBA under his belt.

Actually, both the candidates on the Democratic ticket hold doctorate degrees. A doctorate tops a master's degree, so W ain't top of the list.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

PSA727

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 272):
Oh my. That's shocking. She just keeps outdoing herself. Really.

Actually what would have been shocking is if she had said MSNBC and the NY Times.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:15 am

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 274):
Actually what would have been shocking is if she had said MSNBC and the NY Times

Uh. She couldn't come up with anything. She had the audacity to think that "all of them" is an acceptable response to "what newspapers did you read."

If she had just said that she didn't know how to read I'd have been only slightly less unimpressed.

baroque

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:41 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 258):
Resolution Desk

It's neat.

Sorry, just had to say -something- to break up the tone of the thread.

And how appropriate to note that these guys have been sitting at a desk made of wood from a ship that travelled 1200 miles by itself after being abandoned during a hunt for a ship lost looking for something that at the time did not exist!

You don't think that wood has extra powers to influence the actions of those sitting at it by reason of its history do you?  Big grin

Of course these days with the amount of ice (not) around, it might have turned up on Palin's doorstep - well once it got a bit further N. Big grin Big grin

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 272):
If this woman somehow ends up being president I will probably shrivel up and die. Just like McCains integrity did sometime in the past 6 months.

If we were not a bit sceptical about its merits StuckInCA we would be praying for you!  pray 

moderators
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:42 am

Please use [email protected] to contact us.