Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Self Gloss: I Got Publicity Officer For SGA

Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:55 pm

How many of you guys that went to college participated in Student Government? Recently, I was left in tough decision. Be part of something and do nothing (chess club) or take on responsibilities (SGA). I chose the latter because I wanted a position that has responsibility, a job to carry out and obligations rather than get a position that has no responsibility.

A couple a weeks ago I said to my advisor's that I wanted to help them out as they had asked for volunteers to do that. My first assignment was a power point on why someone should join Student Goverment. Next job was a informational power point on Student Government and finally, our Halloween fest flyer. Well, after some talking to my sponsors, I have been named the new PR officer and am excited about being in that position. My goal is to have an impact and so far, I am achieving this. For the humorous photo vault: Me being used a table. Caption this photo.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/Kingfaulisi/Student%20goverment/CIMG0499.jpg

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

AirCop

RE: Self Gloss: I Got Publicity Officer For SGA

Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Why is the photo dated 1-29-2006?

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):

Because my camera hasn't been updated.

EWRCabincrew

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
How many of you guys that went to college participated in Student Government?

Does model U.N. (just outed myself as a geek) in high school count?
You can't cure stupid

yowza

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 2):
Because my camera hasn't been updated.

huh? updated? you know that you set time and date once right...

YOWza

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 3):

I'll count it as long as it pertains to the student body.

Hunter

A332

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Well, in high school, I was elected Student Council VP in Grade 11 and then elected President in Grade 12... does that count?

By the way, I used my position to gain free access to every sporting event, dance, school function, etc... just like your normal everyday politician... never did much about student issues, just tackled the personal agenda.

Man, I'm ready for PM... no question.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

ShyFlyer

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):
you know that you set time and date once right...

Unless his camera is like my old one, then you set it every time you change the batteries.
I lift things up and put them down.

IHadAPheo

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:37 pm

Congrats on your way cool SGA PR dude gig. However I do have a question. Does your university allow you to take on such additional responsibilities whilst having an incomplete in a course?. I ask this because when i was a much younger college chimp I was a mentor and tutored a "math for meds" course. One of the rules that I remember coming up was that students who had an incomplete in any course were not permitted to take on any addition responsibilities that were not part of a given course.

IHAP

The short version..

Congrats on your new gig. Does your university allow you to hold said new gig whilst having an outstanding incomplete course grade?

edit for a nifty error

[Edited 2008-09-26 15:55:06]
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

AirCop

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:39 pm

He not at a university, but a community college, and I doubt this is an elected position, so maybe the school rules about having an "I" doesn't apply.

[Edited 2008-09-26 15:48:18]

Mir

Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:15 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 3):

Considering that most Model UN people do more work than most SGA people, yes.  Smile

Or at least that's how it works at ERAU (yes, the aviation school has a Model UN team, and not a bad one either).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:15 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 9):
He not at a university, but a community college, and I doubt this is an elected position, so maybe the school rules about having an "I" doesn't apply.

Correct indeed.

Hunter

vikkyvik

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:24 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):

Hmmm, that was my 25th birthday.

Caption this photo.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 5):
I'll count it as long as it pertains to the student body.

I wouldn't mind pertaining to her student body............ duck 
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 12):

I wouldn't mind pertaining to her student body.....

Shes Ukrainian and is very hot but unfortunately she has a b/f.

Hunter

IHadAPheo

Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:46 am

I am happy that they had the faith in your abilities to appoint you to your new position. I would hope that this positive event would encourage you to keep moving forward in your studies. However moving forward in your studies may entail you going back and taking care of some unfinished work (incomplete).

This new way cool gig does appear to have more than a few responsibilities attached to it. I hope that you continue to live up to the faith that others have placed in you. If you get an 'incomplete" in your SGA duties you will not only let yourself down you will let the entire team down and that is a bit more responsibility than you may have had in the past

Good luck and enjoy your new duties

IHAP

I had to look twice at this threads title as in Zippy's neonate wrangler world SGA = "Small for Gestational Age". quite a bit different than "Student Government Association"..
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

iairallie

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:05 am

I was an academic and student senator in my Universities student government. I was also chair of the College of Fine Arts Student council. It was a rewarding experience. I also sat on the personel and elections committee.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

IHadAPheo

Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:05 am

take on responsibilities (SGA)

Yes there is added responsibility, you now have an entire team that will be depending on you to meet the goals of said team. If you fail to complete all of your duties your entire team fails as well. The success or failure of your team now largely depends upon you completing your assigned tasks. I do wish you luck with your new duties

IHAP

wukka

Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:37 am

Why are they using you as a table when there is a table with a couple of clipboards on it right in front of your head? That confuses me.

I suppose that if I were you, I'd let that Ukrainian use me as a table too.
We can agree to disagree.

IHadAPheo

Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:42 am

Quoting Wukka (Reply 18):
I'd let that Ukrainian use me as a table too.

Hmm, I would recommend that both of you "use" the table.

IHAP

Oh yes, what is the guy in the back staring at?, if you follow the line of his eyes it appears he is looking at ....

KAUST

Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:54 am

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 19):

I think he has his own piece of paper, is looking at that.  Wink
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:18 am

Hes staring at his own paper.

Hunter

StuckInCA

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:40 am

I wanted a position that has responsibility, a job to carry out and obligations rather than get a position that has no responsibility.

I thought you were so busy that you didn't even have time to make phone calls. Now, something like 2 weeks later you're seeking out "a position that has responsibility?"

I would normally applaud seeking responsibilities, but I fear that you're really not considering your apparent lack of time managment skills. Why not spend that time improving your writing skills and taking care of that incomplete course. I would imagine that would, in the long run, be a better use of your time. Of course, you might just be trying to weasel your way out of the incomplete by having your daddy make some calls.

Good luck with all that.

IHadAPheo

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 21):
Hes staring at his own paper.

"He is"...

I have to restate and perhaps rephrase my earlier comments

I hope you understand that you now have an entire team depending on you to not only "complete" your assigned duties but to "complete" said duties in proficient way that improves the work of your team. If you fail to "complete" your assigned task not only will you suffer the consequences but you will let your team down and they will suffer from your "incomplete". The pressure is on and it is a test to see how you handle the challenges that will be daily events in the real business world

IHAP

scrubbsywg

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:52 am

i am kind of amazed you would take this on. You seemed so busy you couldn't speak to your instructor, and you've had an incomplete from a spring course where all you had to do was rewrite a 2 page paper and you take on a student government position?

What exactly are your duties here?

KAUST

Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:22 am

Just to add my little words of encouragement: in autumn of 2005, as a student at Sul Ross State University, I was a theater production student. My first task was stage hand for a play, and I due to a series of several instances, I got overwhelmed. I then came home, in the process lying about being present for the dress rehearsal, which I wasn't. My instructor (who also directed the play) got absolutely irate with me. When I finally showed back up on campus, she pulled me into her office and gave me the 3rd degree. It was agreed, she'd give me one more chance, before kicking me out of the theater department for good. I was able to strike the set for the first play, served as Prop Master for the second play, and strike the set for the 3rd play. Oh, and I did a lot of the work with a left hand that was skinned from a fall, which also gave me for a while, temporary lack of usage of my fingers.

I wound up getting an "A" in the course, and the instructor told me she was "very proud of me."

Hunter, I was able to do this, because somewhere down deep inside, two things dawned on me: 1) I had a responsibility to do so, and by being booted out of the department, it would have awful consequences, and 2) I know my limitations, like you, I have them too. I decided I just had to know if I could do it. And I did. And so can you.

Godspeed, my good Floridian. Best of luck to you.  Smile
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."