Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

moderators
Topic Author

U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 4

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:41 am

Users have requested that we bring some organization to the large number of posts being made about the 2008 U.S. Presidential Election in the non-aviation forum. For this reason, we’re creating ‘official’ threads to provide some structure to the overall subject, and make it easier for readers to contribute and follow the various discussions.

Six threads are being created, including this one. If you want to add a post, please make sure you’re adding it to the most appropriate of the choices shown below:

Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Campaign (this thread)
Official U.S. Election – Obama/Biden Campaign
Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Plans & Policies
Official U.S. Election – Obama/Biden Plans & Policies
Official U.S. Election – Polls & Projections
Official U.S. Election – Humor, Commentary, Etc.

Examples of content appropriate for this thread:

McCain/Palin (and GOP) campaign speeches, interviews, clips, gaffes, sound bites, advertising, press releases, etc.
Please use [email protected] to contact us.

md80fanatic

RE: U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 4

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:07 am

Quote:
Just guessing, but I bet you don't care too much for George W. Bush. He would in fact have completely topped your list there.

George W got a BA from Yale and an MBA from Harvard. He is the only president to have an MBA under his belt.

Go figure....

Good call MOBflyer, so what is the real worth of everyone's degree again? Unless he's faking it....I'd say most people could rise to the same level or higher.

MOBflyer

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 1):
Good call MOBflyer, so what is the real worth of everyone's degree again? Unless he's faking it....I'd say most people could rise to the same level or higher.

Now I actually like Bush, but I just wanted to make that point. Also, someone said that a JD/PhD, etc topped a MA. For most cases that is indeed true. Most, however, consider the MBA, especially an Ivy League MBA, as the terminal business degree.

Blackbird

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 am

There are many qualities that make a good leader, intelligence is just one of those qualities...

Just because you're educated does not necessarily make a person a good person, or a good leader. You can be intellectually brilliant, have multiple PhD's, and still be a psychopath... (No, I'm not saying Bush is a psychopath -- he actually does not fit the bill although he would probably fit the bill for an Antisocial Personality*)

Blackbird

* - Contrary to many people stating otherwise, Anti-Social Personality Disorder and Psychopathy are not exactly the same and it is possible to have Anti-Social Personality Disorder and not be a Psychopath.

ltbewr

Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:03 am

Modern times require our top leaders not just to be well educated but also intellectually curious.

While well educated and from top universities, the seeming lack of intellectual curiosity is a major criticism of President Bush. He seems to have a narrow view of the world, fails to be open minded, bearly reads newspapers and rarely speaks to persons outside of the narrow 'neoconservative' beliefs world. This also seems to be an issue with Ms. Palin, well proven in her interviews with Couric.

McCain may be a bit better as to intellectual curosity and a bit more open minded, but still he continues narrow views as to international policy and has self-admitted to not being well versed on economic issues.

In comparison in the opinions of many, both Obama and Biden seem to be far more open minded, curious, thinking of ways to deal with issues than Bush, McCain and Palin. In Obama choosing Biden as his running mate, he sought someone to balance his weaknesses as to international issues and not having a pure 'yes man', with some clear differences on some issues.

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:55 pm

Some of the most evil dictators in the world were well educated. High intelligence requires high morals. I don't think intelligence and education are as important as having an honest character. Facts and figures can be learned as they go.....

Dreadnought

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 4):
In comparison in the opinions of many, both Obama and Biden seem to be far more open minded, curious, thinking of ways to deal with issues than Bush, McCain and Palin.

Hardly. I see Biden and Obama as ideologues, unable to accept the truth even as it bites them in the ass. Palin, it's too early to tell, although her reputation as mayor and governor is that of a realist. McCain (though I disagree with him on some issues), seems to be the most well-grounded of the bunch and does not see the world through shades of ideology.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

AirCop

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 6):
McCain (though I disagree with him on some issues), seems to be the most well-grounded of the bunch and does not see the world through shades of ideology.

Judging from his performance last week, McCain seems to be living in the past, how many times did he mention Ronald Reagan, who left office nearly twenty years ago. I really can't figure out why you would claim that McCain is well-grounded, his positions on issues during his campaign changes so fast, it often the opinion of the last person that he talked to on his cell phone. (There has been numerous articles about this in various national media). Personally the selection of Palin was McCain giving the American media and the American people the middle finger salute. (Of course, Palin is popular in Alaska, anyone would if they increased the oil check).

Dreadnought

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 7):
Judging from his performance last week, McCain seems to be living in the past, how many times did he mention Ronald Reagan, who left office nearly twenty years ago.

You seem to be under the impression that we are in a new world where the old rules, wisdom and lessons don't apply anymore. this is the same sort of head-in-the-sand idealism that produced such falacies in the past as "The War to end all wars", "Peace in our time", or "These two entities—Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac—are not facing any kind of financial crisis" (The last one was Barney Frank a few years ago).

I really can't figure out why you would claim that McCain is well-grounded, his positions on issues during his campaign changes so fast, it often the opinion of the last person that he talked to on his cell phone.

he has a disturbing habit of reverting to populist rhetoric that has me throwing stuff at the TV whenever I see him do that. But he has a record in Congress where we know his core beliefs. He is a moderate Republican/mild conservative, whatever his campaign rhetoric. Talk is cheap, and campaign stump speeches even more so. What counts is how you vote, where you take your stand when the chips are down.

And, sorry, once you are in the Oval Office, voting 'present' is no longer an option.

keesje

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:00 pm

So who could be a last minute alternative for Sarah Palin, e.g. if she "chooses for her family" ?

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

AirCop

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:12 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 8):
You seem to be under the impression that we are in a new world where the old rules, wisdom and lessons don't apply anymore.

Quite the opposite, we have learned that financial institutions are incapable of self regulation, and need some sort of government oversight, which is the opposite of the RR ideas that all regulation is bad.

And, sorry, once you are in the Oval Office, voting 'present' is no longer an option.

Or being MIA..as some one who is unpopular with his fellow party members in the Senate, I just can't see a McCain administration getting support from the GOP for radical changes that are need for programs McCain supports such as global warming issues.

Dreadnought

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:34 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 10):
Quite the opposite, we have learned that financial institutions are incapable of self regulation, and need some sort of government oversight, which is the opposite of the RR ideas that all regulation is bad.

If that's what you learned, you have not been paying attention. All roads lead to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. If government had not interferred in the free market via those two institutions, and arm-twisted the mortgage industry into selling mortgages that no banker in his right mind would sell, and on top of that allowed the GSEs to operate at ridiculous leverage rates, and finally, allowed them to become politically active, none of this would have happened.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 10):
Or being MIA..as some one who is unpopular with his fellow party members in the Senate, I just can't see a McCain administration getting support from the GOP for radical changes that are need for programs McCain supports such as global warming issues.

Global Warming programs do not need to be radical.

BlueElephant

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm sorry to those people who still feel that Sarah Palin is Competent...if she is...she's really gotta be allowed to show it...because right now she doesn't seem like it...

I'll give you a hit at what she does sound like....

BlueElephant: Hey Sarah....what newspapers do you read.
Sarah Palin: All of them.
BE: oh yah?...like which ones
SP: like...all of them
BE: cool...you play golf?...whats your golf score
SP: 18.
BE: you mean like 18 on a hole?
SP: No...Actually I get a hole in one on every hole...

11Bravo

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:22 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 5):
I don't think intelligence and education are as important as having an honest character. Facts and figures can be learned as they go.....

I don't think that particular model of decision making has served us very well in the last eight years. What you're describing here is exactly the sort of thing that has lead Bush into some deeply flawed decisions; act first, based on moral certainty and intuition, then consider the "facts and figures" that support your position. The problem, of course, with that mode of thinking is that you are much less likely to consider things that do not support your conclusion.

Maybe it's just me, but perhaps it would be refreshing to switch that around a bit and have decisions based on an analysis of the "facts and figures". To do that requires that you actually know something about those "facts and figures" before you start making your plan, and that, in turn, makes high-quality education a pre-requsite to that well considered judgement.
WhaleJets Rule!

EA772LR

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 12):

BlueElephant: Hey Sarah....what newspapers do you read.
Sarah Palin: All of them.
BE: oh yah?...like which ones
SP: like...all of them
BE: cool...you play golf?...whats your golf score
SP: 18.
BE: you mean like 18 on a hole?
SP: No...Actually I get a hole in one on every hole...

Is this some trumped up interview you typed  rotfl 

Judging from his performance last week, McCain seems to be living in the past, how many times did he mention Ronald Reagan, who left office nearly twenty years ago.

You seem to be under the impression that we are in a new world where the old rules, wisdom and lessons don't apply anymore. this is the same sort of head-in-the-sand idealism that produced such falacies in the past as "The War to end all wars", "Peace in our time", or "These two entities—Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac—are not facing any kind of financial crisis" (The last one was Barney Frank a few years ago).

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

baroque

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:29 pm

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 2):
Now I actually like Bush, but I just wanted to make that point. Also, someone said that a JD/PhD, etc topped a MA. For most cases that is indeed true. Most, however, consider the MBA, especially an Ivy League MBA, as the terminal business degree.

And I guess the current crisis is his practical exam. Any MBAs on here who would care to mark him so far?

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 4):
While well educated and from top universities, the seeming lack of intellectual curiosity is a major criticism of President Bush. He seems to have a narrow view of the world, fails to be open minded, bearly reads newspapers and rarely speaks to persons outside of the narrow 'neoconservative' beliefs world. This also seems to be an issue with Ms. Palin, well proven in her interviews with Couric.

McCain may be a bit better as to intellectual curosity and a bit more open minded, but still he continues narrow views as to international policy and has self-admitted to not being well versed on economic issues.

checkmark  Palin - NC  checkmark  McCain, again agree. I don't know his record well enough, and maybe it is my imagination but he seems to be coming over as more and more fixed in his ways. Possibly as the GOP goons put him in their straightjacket. He is almost getting to appear like an exhibit from (or in) Madame Tussauds. A puzzle.

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:46 pm

Quoting EA772LR (Reply 14):
Is this some trumped up interview you typed

The first half of it is almost dead on reality. The link got deleted in the old thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9go38MgZ4w8

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 13):
I don't think that particular model of decision making has served us very well in the last eight years.

I would never assume Bush to have an honest character, I mean he was governor of the state that I live in. We knew him well before the rest of the country. What we need is a commander-in-chief form of a Mother Theresa. Tough and honest above all else.

So Bush is not the best example of this type of leadership, IMO.

I am afraid of a really brilliant person being given such lofty power over the course of this country....especially when the citizenry are afraid to protest, and instead choose to voice dissent by blowing off steam to their friends via cellphone....rather than getting in the face of elected officials - regardless of the cost. Power corrupts, and the presidency is a tool a highly educated person with skewed priorities can use to destroy the world.

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 17):
Power corrupts, and the presidency is a tool a highly educated person with skewed priorities can use to destroy the world.

Power corrupts, and the presidency is a tool an uneducated person with skewed priorities can use to destroy the world.

Power corrupts, and the presidency is a tool a closed minded zealot with skewed priorities can use to destroy the world.

Power corrupts, and the presidency is a tool a power drunk neo-con with rich oil men at his side can use to destroy the world.

See how easy that was  Wink

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:41 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 18):
See how easy that was  

So why do you insist the best duo to elect is, in fact, the status quo in trendy clothing?

I thought you all wanted "Change"?  Wink

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Palin now describes the average American as "Joe Six-Pack."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/ap_on_el_pr/palin_joe_six_pack

A little insulting I'd say.

I also find it amusing that she refers to herself as an "everyday working American" when after drawing another breath she'll talk about being qualified with all of her "executive experience" as Governor of Alaska and Mayor of Wasilla.

Most "everyday working Americans" aka "Joe Six-Pack" probably don't have a household income of $214,000 (salary only?) and savings of about $363,000 not including properties. A contrast with Joe Six-Pack's median household income of $48,200 in 2006.

Perhaps more interesting numbers will come out when she releases her finances after the debate.

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:14 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 20):

Could you misrepresent her any further if you tried? From the article you linked to.....

"It's time that normal Joe Six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency," the Republican vice presidential candidate told radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt.

Seems she includes herself in the group of "Joe Six Packs". Self deprecating humor is a good indication of humility. Back to huffpost for you.   

Oops, almost forgot.....

Be there or be square!  Wink

[Edited 2008-10-01 10:19:10]

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 21):
Seems she includes herself in the group of "Joe Six Packs". Self deprecating humor is a good indication of humility.

It's not self deprecating humor is she includes all average Americans.

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 21):
Could you misrepresent her any further if you tried?

How'd I misrepresent her, exactly? Didn't she refer to "Joe Six-Pack" Americans, implying that that's what average Americans are, in her view?

How about the fact that she portrays herself as an everyday working American "Joe Six-Pack" but on income alone makes something like 500% of the median household income in the US?

I don't really care how much she makes, I just think it's funny to portray yourself as "average" when you're clearly much more financially well off than "Joe Six-Pack."

Dreadnought

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:44 pm

Palin now describes the average American as "Joe Six-Pack."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/ap_on_el_pr/palin_joe_six_pack

Offensive? How? On the same level as Bill Clinton saying last week he was going down south to drum up the 'cracker' vote?

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 22):
How about the fact that she portrays herself as an everyday working American "Joe Six-Pack" but on income alone makes something like 500% of the median household income in the US?

I don't really care how much she makes, I just think it's funny to portray yourself as "average" when you're clearly much more financially well off than "Joe Six-Pack."

You are talking about a couple who eloped because they did not think their families could afford to spend a couple of thousand dollars for a a wedding. I think it's safe to say that the Palins know what working class is, and how it feels to have little or no money. The fact that they have more now is because of their hard work since their meager beginnings.

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:54 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 22):

Aren't you placing way too much of what it means to be an American on incoming $$$ (how much people drag down)? Not everyone worships at the alter of mammon.  Wink

What if she is completely "everyday working American" except for income (which isn't much different from all other governors). I am certain prefect Pelosi drags down far more per annum....with 5 kids long since grown. Goose....Gander?

Beaucaire

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:05 pm

Aren't you poor Americans not sick and tired of nearly one year of political B.S. during this endless campaign ??
I mean-let's face it,once the candidates are chosen and elected by their party,very few Americans change opinion -they are either Donkey or Elephant - and all these hundreds of millions of wasted money for the campaign actually just help to tilt less than 15% of the voters decisions...
In Europe the time for campaigns is by law much shorter -and we certainly don't have less democracy.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Dreadnought

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:13 pm

Just to emphisis that there is never anything new in politics -

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.
-- Cicero , 55 BC

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 25):
and all these hundreds of millions of wasted money for the campaign actually just help to tilt less than 15% of the voters decisions...

Worse yet....all that money is -not- spent on the 538 electors who completely decide the election. It's spend rather on the great unwashed to make their efforts to get out and vote seem more significant. It's a feel good thing.

--------------------------------------------------

Look StuckinCA, Palin -IS- a normal American mom.......

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/08/31/098086.html

AUTO CENTRAL - August 31, 2008: More information was received yesterday about Sarah Palin's choice of automobiles. First, The Auto Channel's Rick Carlton (the person who uncovered pictures of Todd Palin driving a snowmobile), found an intriguing story about Sarah Palin being rear-ended while driving her Chevy Suburban to work...seems she eschews the pretentiousness of having a driver, and likes to do it herself.
Then, Kyle Busch, author of the book "Drive the Best for the Price” and National Automotive Examiner for the San Francisco Examiner online edition, contacted us to confirm that Sarah drives a Alaska government provided Chevy Suburban, and that she also drives a Volkswagen Jetta diesel. Although Kyle didn’t indicate the model year of Sarah’s car, he did tell us that he drives an ‘86 VW Jetta with over 500,000 miles on the clock. Unfortunately, no photos showing Sarah Palin driving either vehicle have surfaced.

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:23 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 23):
Offensive? How?

Implying that average Americans all stop by the quick-E-mart for a six pack of schlitz on the way home from the saw-mill. Plenty do, and that's fine but I personally find it to be a pretty low description of the average American. I suppose there's a large portion of her target audience that won't be offended. There are many of us who are also average Americans who work hard every day and aren't wealthy who find being referred to as "Joe Six-Pack" offensive.

On the same level as Bill Clinton saying last week he was going down south to drum up the 'cracker' vote?

That seems like a pretty stupid thing to say. Good thing he's not a candidate, eh?

I think it's safe to say that the Palins know what working class is, and how it feels to have little or no money. The fact that they have more now is because of their hard work since their meager beginnings.

That's a fair answer.

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 24):
Aren't you placing way too much of what it means to be an American on incoming $$$ (how much people drag down)?

In the context of a discussion about the economy, not really. Money isn't even close the most important thing to me.

What if she is completely "everyday working American" except for income

Unfortunately, income (or net worth, anyway) is probably the greatest differentiator between people's lifestyles. By your estimation, could vastly wealthy people be described as "everyday working Americans"? How do they do that - - Buy Carhartts and drive an F150?

I am certain prefect Pelosi drags down far more per annum

I don't remember her strutting around claiming to be "Joe Six-Pack." And, she's awful.

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:45 pm

Debate Prediction......

Palin will open a bit shaky as she grapples with McCain's platform and Bush's history in office. Feeling the pressure, and being the non-quitting fierce competitor she is well known for, will set aside the neo-con script and speak from the heart.

At this the American people will see the real Palin, and immediately know that this woman is the real deal. She will blow away her detractors that have written much muck the last several weeks. Joseph Biden will be seen with tear in eye, whether real or contrived.

Truth is she cannot allow herself to be the first woman in history to completely crash and burn in the face of a well known CFR high-society male competitor. You have to understand....like it or not she represents ALL women in their quest to reach as high as they can in America.  Smile

If you are a woman.....either you are with Palin or you are with the terrorists (aka. "men").  rotfl 

Dreadnought

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:50 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 28):
Implying that average Americans all stop by the quick-E-mart for a six pack of schlitz on the way home from the saw-mill.

Could be a six-pack of Heineken on the way home from the Law Firm  Wink

A332

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:54 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 29):
Palin will open a bit shaky as she grapples with McCain's platform and Bush's history in office. Feeling the pressure, and being the non-quitting fierce competitor she is well known for, will set aside the neo-con script and speak from the heart.

At this the American people will see the real Palin, and immediately know that this woman is the real deal. She will blow away her detractors that have written much muck the last several weeks. Joseph Biden will be seen with tear in eye, whether real or contrived.

*snap* *snap*... Time to wake up! It's just a dream!

She's going to get absolutely obliterated and the McCain-Palin ticket will plummet. It's on the verge already.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 31):
*snap* *snap*... Time to wake up! It's just a dream!

I know of one woman who will be secretly rooting for Sarah Palin, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

You know it's true....that if Palin was as liberal as Hillary she'd be like the risen lord to the democrats. Since she's a republican....she is treated like the anti-christ. Very revealing.....

Can't wait for tomorrow.  Smile

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:57 pm

If it were Obama and a heartily liberal Sarah Palin heading the democratic ticket you would be howling about her being the "anti-christ"? You are so -Busted-!  rotfl 

OlegShv

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 34):

Palin wouldn't be on the Dem's ticket. They aren't that stupid.

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 35):

Are you kidding? If she pulled a Lieberman all the democrats would be saying "who is this Biden character?" Obama would convert back to Christianity in her honor....  Wink

stasisLAX

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:01 pm

Arizona Senator John McCain, once known for his even-handed "straight talk" sessions with political journalists, now appears to very irritable and highly sarcastic in an recent interview with journalists with the Des Moines (Iowa) Register - in which he defended his running mate Sarah Palin's seeming lack of experience as well as his recent campaign attack ads aimed at Barack Obama. Here's the highlights:

Not a very appealing version of the Senator, IMHO.   

[Edited 2008-10-01 14:03:01]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

A332

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:07 pm

If it were Obama and a heartily liberal Sarah Palin heading the democratic ticket you would be howling about her being the "anti-christ"? You are so -Busted-!

checkmark  Bingo!

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 37):
Not a very appealing version of the Senator, IMHO.

When was Sen. McCain ever appealing?
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:07 pm

There are far better reasons McCain should not be President. But being capable of irritation and sarcasm aren't included in those. This is a reach to the nth degree.   

edit: grammar

[Edited 2008-10-01 14:12:39]

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Palin's number one goal tomorrow night should be to appeal to all American women in such a way that transcends party lines. If she accomplishes this I believe Ronald McDonald could win alongside her (amongst the female electors).

The important thing for Palin is to be seen as an equal to Biden, while not collapsing under the pressure of his thinly veiled condescending tone. Deep down I think women will view the matchup subconsciously as more a male vs. female debate rather than a Republican vs. Democrat one. And that is how Palin can gain an edge over him. I think the liberals are severely understating the threat Palin poses.

[Edited 2008-10-01 14:41:04]

Dreadnought

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:26 pm

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 35):

You chose Obama, didn't you? And for the number one slot, not number two.

Sorry, but you just walked right into that one. Obama is the least-prepared presidentional candidate since, errr... hell, I can't remember who was the last one who had so little on his resume.

luv2fly

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:34 pm

You are talking about a couple who eloped because they did not think their families could afford to spend a couple of thousand dollars for a a wedding.

Who eloped so that the baby she was carrying could be passed off as premature. Please, had she not been knocked up already she probably would have had her big wedding.
You can cut the irony with a knife

stasisLAX

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 38):

Good point - from the time that I first moved to Arizona in 1997 until I left the state in 2007, I can say he was never appealing to me in the least.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 40):
Palin's number one goal tomorrow night should be to appeal to all American women in such a way that transcends party lines. If she accomplishes this I believe Ronald McDonald could win alongside her (amongst the female electors).

That would be quite an accomplishment considering that today McCain/Palin trail Obama/Biden among women by 17% and are losing women voters faster than they gained them when Palin joined the ticket. It would be a big turnaround.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1846065,00.html?imw=Y

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 40):
The important thing for Palin is to be seen as an equal to Biden, while not collapsing under the pressure of his thinly veiled condescending tone. Deep down I think women will view the matchup subconsciously as more a male vs. female debate rather than a Republican vs. Democrat one. And that is how Palin can gain an edge over him. I think the liberals are severely understating the threat Palin poses.

I don't know how you could find anyone's tone more condescending than Palin's. Her speech at the convention was venomous and devoid of respect.

Democratic candidates and plenty of media are claiming that Palin is a great debater.

I find it interesting that you think Palin will gain an edge by exploiting the perceived male vs female matchup. I hope people pay more attention to the views and capabilities rather than what parts each candidate has.

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 46):
That would be quite an accomplishment considering that today McCain/Palin trail Obama/Biden among women by 17% and are losing women voters faster than they gained them when Palin joined the ticket. It would be a big turnaround.

That's 17% of women voters, not women electors. I have searched without success to find a breakdown of the electorate by sex....and I am wondering whether it is generally 50-50, or perhaps there may be even a slight majority of women (which reflects American society)?

Superfly

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:34 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 37):
Arizona Senator John McCain, once known for his even-handed "straight talk" sessions with political journalists, now appears to very irritable and highly sarcastic in an recent interview with journalists with the Des Moines (Iowa) Register - in which he defended his running mate Sarah Palin's seeming lack of experience as well as his recent campaign attack ads aimed at Barack Obama. Here's the highlights:

Thanks for posting that video.
That isn't the John McCain we all know that can take on the press and answer questions accurately. I was beginning to think that Sarah Palin was under the table considering how McCain was talking and giving answers. Anyone recall the blow job scene on George Gaynes from the movie Police Academy?
This interview reminds me of that scene.
Bring back the Concorde

JakeOrion

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:56 pm

The hate for the Republican/Democrat parties on this site is borderline insanity. Its one thing to disagree with an opposing party, but the simple fact that this is flat out hatred is what really makes this whole fiasco of an election sad.

I do not hate Obama, I just strongly disagree from what policies he has given me so far. But I'm far from hating the man, as I do not personally know him. People on this board, on the other hand, are just flat out fanatical (on both sides mind you), and thank the heavens neither one of you are running for politics. Then again, what we have currently running is not much better.

McCain, no thanks.

Obama, no thanks.

Write in or Bob Barr, yes please.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

StuckInCA

Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:14 pm

Perhaps more interesting numbers will come out when she releases her finances after the debate.

Some already did!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/ap_on_el_pr/palins_finances

Add up the couple's 2007 income and the estimated value of their property and investments and they appear to be worth at least $1.2 million. That would make the Palins, like Democratic vice presidential rival Joe Biden and his wife Jill, well-off...

The Palins' assets seem enviable: a half-million-dollar home on a lake with a float-plane at the dock, two vacation retreats, commercial-fishing rights worth an estimated $50,000 or more and an income last year of at least $230,000. That compares to a median income of $64,333 for Alaskans and $50,740 for Americans in 2007, according to the Census Bureau.

Just an every day working American "Joe Six-Pack."

Not that I care. As long as she's the most qualified person to lead the nation, she'll get my vote.

Smile

luv2fly

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:09 am

I think the one thing that should stand out in anyone's mind, is the sheer amount of time that McCain is spending trying to convince people that she is the right choice. If she really was the right choice would he have to do this? I think not.
You can cut the irony with a knife

AirCop

Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:55 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 11):
If that's what you learned, you have not been paying attention. All roads lead to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

No, I would counter that all roads lead to one of the worst qualities found in a human, and that is greed.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 11):
arm-twisted the mortgage industry into selling mortgages that no banker in his right mind would sell,

Then the banking industry should have quoted Nancy Reagan; Just say No. These mortgages were easy money..

Quoting A332 (Reply 37):

Been in Arizona since 1995, and he has never been appealing has either a politician or has a person.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 40):
Obama is the least-prepared presidentional candidate since, errr... hell, I can't remember who was the last one who had so little on his resume.

Let me refresh your mind, how about the current incumbent, how about six years as a governor in which the position holds little authority. Then there was Jimmy Carter..even Gerald Ford has more of a resume than John McCain, at least Ford was the party leader in the House. There is an old saying that Senators make lousy Presidents.
One other President that was lacking in the resume department was Abraham Lincoln.