allstarflyer
Topic Author

Who Is Jesus Christ?

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:39 pm

He is God (John 1:1; I Tim. 3:16), the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6), the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25), Advocate (I John 2:1), Counsellor, Prince of Peace, Mighty God (Isaiah 9:6) and He is alive (1 Peter 1:21), saves from sin and eternal death (Acts 5:31, Rom. 5:21) and gave promise of return (Acts 1:11).

I'm wondering the take of those here on those claims and some why's and how's about these ideas about Him . . .

His Name is taken in vain all the time, 3 religions/faiths recognize Him in one way or another, encompassing billions, His influence is immeasurable by any standard (even for atheists who may think He never existed), mention of Him brings uncomfortable silence pretty much anywhere outside of a church, missionaries go out in His name, He's a divisive Topic and many submit to Him as Lord.

Edited to insert another attribute of Him

[Edited 2008-10-02 14:07:06]
Living the American Dream

A332

RE: Who Is Jesus Christ?

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Whatever floats your boat... if you want to believe in Jesus, that's your deal.

Please allow the rest of us to feel free to avoid Jesus at all times, as we choose.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Superfly

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Thread starter):
missionaries go out in His name

Quoting A332 (Reply 1):

Please allow the rest of us to feel free to avoid Jesus at all times, as we choose.

checkmark 

With all due respect to Jesus Christ and his followers, please respect those who prefer to practice other religions or no religions at all.
Bring back the Concorde

EISHN

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 1):

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
With all due respect to Jesus Christ and his followers, please respect those who prefer to practice other religions or no religions at all.

And please respect those who do practice Christianity  Smile It's a two way street, respect. If you've no interest in this conversation, then don't post.

I'm Catholic, although not entirely practicing. I go to Mass most Sundays, but that's with my dad. Not sure If I'd go outside of living at home, maybe I would. But yeah, I believe.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

PSA53

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:06 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 4):
Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):

And please respect those who do practice Christianity It's a two way street, respect. If you've no interest in this conversation, then don't post.

Absolutely agree with respect.Like you,Lar,I was an altar boy but like others not a true blue Catholic.I agree with EISHN.Respect does not always apply when simply mentioning Christ in reference or some seem to get nervous about the subject.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Superfly

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:09 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 4):
And please respect those who do practice Christianity

I do.
However if you knock on my door telling me about your faith, I will slam the door on your face and don't get in my face if I am walking down the street or on the bus. Also, respect the laws of the country you visit. If prosthletizing is against the law in a given country, respect those laws. If a nation is officially Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic, Catholic, Atheist, Jewish, respect those laws and respect their religions.
Not a hard concept to grasp, ey?

Quoting EISHN (Reply 4):
I'm Catholic, although not entirely practicing.

Same here.

[Edited 2008-10-02 14:11:13]

[Edited 2008-10-02 14:12:26]
Bring back the Concorde

A332

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:10 pm

I'm wondering the take of those here on those claims

Quoting EISHN (Reply 4):
If you've no interest in this conversation, then don't post.

Note that we were encouraged to comment, as Superfly and myself have obliged. I appreciate the quick move to censor the conversation though. Good work!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

mt99

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 4):

And please respect those who do practice Christianity Smile It's a two way street, respect. If you've no interest in this conversation, then don't pos

The original post asked :"Who Is Jesus Christ?" The answer of some seems to be: "Nobody"..

If the question was asked in good faith to have a discussion, then why complain about answers you dont like?

If you wanted to have thread that would have post only agreeable to you, should have names it : "Jesus Love Fest Inside"
Step into my office, baby

777236ER

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:26 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 4):
And please respect those who do practice Christianity Smile It's a two way street, respect

No, this is a fallacy. There should be no respect of any religion.

Ignoring the sheer horror that religion has brought us, the very essence of religion is 'faith'. Faith goes against all rational thought, it goes again any semblence of logic or analysis. Faith has a complete lack of objective justification. There is no perversion of Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism etc when members of these religions carry our horrendous acts because faith isn't subjective. Indeed, the doctorine of unquestioned faith taught as a necessity by all religions leads automatically to irrational and often terrifying behaviour.

I have no respect for anyone who has faith because it instills in others the idea that faith is acceptable. It is not, faith leads to tragedy and tyranny.

We can already see it in this thread, and it's only six posts old. Any criticism of religion is condemned before it has even happened and we're told that we must respect religion.
Your bone's got a little machine

Superfly

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:27 pm

Jesus Christ himself seems like a really cool guy and one I would have like to meet if I was alive back when he was around. It's some of his followers and their religions they started years after he was killed that I find scary and responsible for a lot of the world's conflicts today.
Bring back the Concorde

allstarflyer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
However if you knock on my door telling me about your faith, I will slam the door on your face

Which is your right to do. Nobody should force Christianity.

and don't get in my face if I am walking down the street or on the bus

Yeah, in your face is not a way to share.

Also, respect the laws of the country you visit. If prosthletizing is against the law in a given country, respect those laws. If a nation is officially Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic, Catholic, Atheist, Jewish, respect those laws and respect their religions.

The disciples (Acts 5 - and later apostle Paul, Acts 23 for example) helped spread the gospel ignoring such laws . . .

Not a hard concept to grasp, ey?

Paul was part of the ruling authority and he benefitted from Stephen's testimony, a man he had had killed.

cumulus

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Don't know about Jesus, but Eric Clapton IS God!!

I know, it was written on this wall in Peckham in the 1970's so it must be true.

Big version: Width: 130 Height: 145 File size: 4kb
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

Superfly

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 11):
The disciples (Acts 5 - and later apostle Paul, Acts 23 for example) helped spread the gospel ignoring such laws . . .

..and therefore can't complain about being 'persecuted' when they break the laws in a given country. Folks in these host countries would rather you spend money and then leave.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

PSA53

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 9):
We can already see it in this thread, and it's only six posts old. Any criticism of religion is condemned before it has even happened and we're told that we must respect religion.

At what point did you feel condemn?I was taught in Catholic school never to condemn anyone or religion or athethists.My Grandmother was an athethist.

I have no respect for anyone who has faith because it instills in others the idea that faith is acceptable. It is not, faith leads to tragedy and tyranny.

Like others,non religious, two bit dictators in todays world and history.

md80fanatic

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:45 pm

Interesting how people who can at one time claim Jesus never existed and at the same time express deep hatred for Jesus and His followers. If He isn't real, then why all the venom?

Superfly

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:46 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 16):
Interesting how people who can at one time claim Jesus never existed and at the same time express deep hatred for Jesus and His followers. If He isn't real, then why all the venom?

Who denied his existence?
Bring back the Concorde

allstarflyer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:47 pm

Faith goes against all rational thought

Faith is the substance of things hoped for (Heb. 11).

I have no respect for anyone who has faith because it instills in others the idea that faith is acceptable

Galileo? Newton? Luther? Johann Bach? Spurgeon? Tolkien? C.S. Lewis?

faith leads to tragedy and tyranny.

Always?

Any criticism of religion is condemned

I don't think you've seen that from me, and I started the thread.

777236ER

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 14):
At what point did you feel condemn?

Quoting EISHN (Reply 4):
And please respect those who do practice Christianity Smile It's a two way street, respect. If you've no interest in this conversation, then don't post.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 14):
I was taught in Catholic school never to condemn anyone or religion or athethists

Of course, all woman are condemned never to be ordaned, that's a good 3,000,000,000 people.

Your school obviously glossed over Catholic-inspired laws in Ireland and Italy forbidding divorce, euthenasia, Sunday trading, abortion etc, condemnation of sex before marriage, homosexuality, contraception (directly causing who knows how many HIV cases), the church's supression of heresy, crusades, the inquisition, the Edict of Worms, St Bartholomew's Day massacre etc?

David L

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):

I can't remember speaking to anyone who denied Jesus existed. Come to think of it, I haven't known many who "hated" Jesus, either... well, lapsed "Christians", anyway. Most atheists just don't believe he was "the son of God" or that he "died for our sins".

Other than that, I'm staying out of this.  Smile

md80fanatic

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):

The "Original Poster" mentioned .....

.... by any standard (even for atheists who may think He never existed)

Since I did not quote anyone in particular with my introductory prose, it is safe to assume I was addressing the OP and his/her initial question. I was not in any way pointing at anyone claiming they personally do not believe Jesus existed. Whew!  Wink

Superfly

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:58 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 19):
Your school obviously glossed over Catholic-inspired laws in Ireland and Italy forbidding divorce, euthenasia, Sunday trading, abortion etc, condemnation of sex before marriage, homosexuality, contraception (directly causing who knows how many HIV cases), the church's supression of heresy, crusades, the inquisition, the Edict of Worms, St Bartholomew's Day massacre etc?

Enough of the Catholic Church basing. The Vatican doesn't have nukes, aren't agitating the Muslims and didn't start the war in Iraq.
The most troublesome strain of Christianity is the right-wing fundamentalist. They are the ones fanning the flames, supporting military aggression in the Middle-East and would have no problems with an all out nuclear war. These people hate the Catholics too as well as the Jews and anyone who is not like them.
They are living out this self fulfilling prophecy that this is the 'End Times' and are fanning the flames of Armageddon.
Bring back the Concorde

gkirk

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 5):
true blue Catholic

Oh dear, that could cause trouble (Scots and the Irish will follow this - football related).  Silly
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

David L

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 21):
Since I did not quote anyone in particular with my introductory prose, it is safe to assume I was addressing the OP and his/her initial question.

OK, I'll let you off this time.  biggrin 

777236ER

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:00 pm

If He isn't real, then why all the venom?

I never said Jesus wasn't real.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 18):

No, faith is the anthesis of rational thought.

Galileo? Newton? Luther? Johann Bach? Spurgeon? Tolkien? C.S. Lewis?

Luther? Regardless of his beliefs, I see no reason to respecet him.

C.S. Lewis tried to present a rational (!) explaination for Christianity! His later books were simply brainwashing tools. The Chronicles of Narnia are nothing more than propaganda.

Charles Spurgeon was simply a preacher, why should I respect him?

As for any other name you wish to bring up, regardless of their achievements their any faith they have affords them no respect if they are found in the modern era. If they lived in less enlightened times where essentially everyone was religious, then I see no reason to condemn then. Remember, not everyone in Bible-thumping communities is heterosexual.

David L

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:04 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 24):
Quoting PSA53 (Reply 5):
true blue Catholic

Oh dear, that could cause trouble (Scots and the Irish will follow this - football related).

Damn! I missed that!

md80fanatic

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
The most troublesome strain of Christianity is the right-wing fundamentalist. They are the ones fanning the flames, supporting military aggression in the Middle-East and would have no problems with an all out nuclear war.

I agree with you that this is certainly the impression the religious right are leaving with their words about the war. The thing is these people are not really Christians at all....but are in fact the exact opposite.

They have no problem acting like Christians when they prosecute wars and such. The worst that can happen is the general public will blame the religion they are imitating, which is precisely the goal of anti-Christs. They advance their cause in secret, while severely injuring the cause of their enemies in public.

BTW Superfly.....those images were taken less than 1 hour's drive from your home....beside the Russian River.  Wink

[Edited 2008-10-02 15:17:53]

PSA53

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:19 pm

[

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
Enough of the Catholic Church basing. The Vatican doesn't have nukes, aren't agitating the Muslims and didn't start the war in Iraq.
The most troublesome strain of Christianity is the right-wing fundamentalist. They are the ones fanning the flames, supporting military aggression in the Middle-East and would have no problems with an all out nuclear war. These people hate the Catholics too as well as the Jews and anyone who is not like them.
They are living out this self fulfilling prophecy that this is the 'End Times' and are fanning the flames of Armageddon.

Well said.

We are far from perfection.We have our flaws and shortcomings but I uphold my moderate world beliefs including faith and respect others culture and ideologicals.

[Edited 2008-10-02 15:46:37]

allstarflyer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:20 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 25):

No, faith is the anthesis of rational thought.

You'll have to give more than just an opinion . . .

Charles Spurgeon was simply a preacher, why should I respect him?

How about the Stockwell Orphange he founded . . . and what about his fellow Christian, George Muller, who cared for thousands of orphans?

mainMAN

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:22 pm

Quote:
Who Is Jesus Christ?

He isn't anybody because he's dead. He lived approximately 2000 years ago, in what we now know as Israel.

It sounds like he was a pretty nice guy, and I assume he existed because by all accounts, there are apparently written records that he did. I wasn't born when Adolf Hitler or Mahatma Ghandi were alive, but I believe they existed too.

What's weird about this particular figure, is that he's taken on a cult-like status, and many people are so transfixed by him, and so brainwashed into believing that they can live forever (why??), that they worship him, and that in turn makes them incapable of three things........it destroys their normal, healthy cognitive processes, it leads to an unhealthy denial of natural human freedom of thought, and it robs them of their inate existential processes.

allstarflyer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 30):
He isn't anybody because he's dead.

What are your thoughts on Scriptures that say otherwise?

it destroys their normal, healthy cognitive processes, it leads to an unhealthy denial of natural human freedom of thought, and it robs them of their inate existential processes.

Prove this, because I'm a Christian and I associate w/Christians, and I don't know anyone who fits that criteria.

Cadet57

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:18 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 32):

Why do you feel the need to constantly questions others beliefs? And before you round on me im going to qualify my statemenet with this. I was born, baptized, and received a catholic education. I attend church about 4 times a week (I swear, I could do an catholic funeral mass on my own now).
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

EISHN

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:31 pm

Deary me, some people are not getting the message, and this has totally gone off track, with next to no one, and myself included, properly answering the question put before us: Who is Jesus?

My main gripe on here is that this question is asked, and immediately two responses come along "Don't shove your religion in my face, or I'll slam the door", or "Don't come up to me in the street". Well, I have done neither, and the same goes for Allstarflyer. In fact i don't agree with any of that. Many people on here seem to have a gripe with me over my comment.

I am not a true blue Catholic or Christian. In fact, in many ways I am exactly like the rest of you. I have my athiest moments, I question so many things, I mock religion, I make pedophile priest jokes, and mock the Pope, I wonder why bother with religion given all the violence it has caused.

I disagree with the Church in many areas, especially over sexuality. I'm straight, but I couldn't give a fuck if you're gay, lesbian, bi, or anything else (bar pedophilia).

Hell, I don't care what religion, skin colour, sexual orientation, or anything else you can pretty much think of, so long as you are good at heart, then we can be friends.

There is no need to go so off course, by attacking Ireland and Italy for the Catholic churches strong position, and if you knew anything about Ireland, you would know that things are very different from how they once were. And don't start saying stuff such as the church causing a HIV pandemic in Ireland, cause there isn't one. Many people have turned against the Church in Ireland, and Church and State have been pretty much moved away from each other.

I absolutely do respect other religions, and with my fondness for history, find them very interesting.

Can someone tell me what exactly I said that offended anyone out there, please I'm open to criticism.

Jesus, well I can't really answer that question, and I was hoping someone else out there would give their opinion on who he is.

I apologise to the mods for straying off course.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

allstarflyer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:51 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 33):
Why do you feel the need to constantly questions others beliefs?

This was a question to check someone's thoughts on the Scriptures . . .

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 32):

. . . how do I know whether they've actually read that? If not, that's an invite for them to check it out, but I'm not forcing anyone to check it out, just like I'm not forcing anyone to answer that question.

Superfly

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:09 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 34):
My main gripe on here is that this question is asked, and immediately two responses come along "Don't shove your religion in my face, or I'll slam the door", or "Don't come up to me in the street". Well, I have done neither,

I certainly never accused you of such. Don't take my comments personally. In fact, my comments were aimed at Jehovah's Witness, Mormons, Born Agains, Southern Baptist / Pentecostals and other preachy in your face Christians. The Catholics, Anglicans and Lutherans are far classier than that.

There is no need to go so off course, by attacking Ireland and Italy for the Catholic churches strong position,

That is one of the things I admire about Ireland and Italy. You may want to read my comments on 'Your favorite countries' thread.

Can someone tell me what exactly I said that offended anyone out there, please I'm open to criticism.

You never offended me.
Bring back the Concorde

N867DA

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:25 am

No, this is a fallacy. There should be no respect of any religion.

Ugh, I don't know which group is more obnoxious...the religious or the atheist.

I for one certainly don't have much respect for the radical religious or radical irreligious of the world. They're both nutjobs.

Big version: Width: 202 Height: 191 File size: 11kb

All in the name of Atheism!

If there's one thing the 20th century has taught us, the fiery atheist rulers of the world shed just as much tyranny spreading their faith as the religious proselytizers of yesteryear.

[Edited 2008-10-02 17:31:09]
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

EISHN

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:28 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):

My problem was that before anyone said anything that was really in relation to this thread it got shot down on an unrelevant matter:

Quoting A332 (Reply 1):

I just feel that this person came looking for trouble.

As for what I said in regard to respect, it had nothing to do with religion, only manners to others, which is what I'm concerned about.

I just need to nit pick at this.

Well religion my school is a total doss, and is basically looked at as a free class, and more to do with morality than Christ.

forbidding divorce

That law went out in the 90's with a 94% in favour of referendum.

euthenasia

A, hello, it's illegal in the UK as well.

Sunday trading

Ha, we have two 24 hour stores in my town, and quite a few shops open on Sunday, most stay closed so that the people can have a day off, and nothing to do with religion.

condemnation of sex before marriage, homosexuality

Sex did happen before marriage, and homosexuality was a taboo anywhere you went in the time period you obviously think Ireland still lives in. If you're going to have a dig at us, do your homework.

If you have no respect for anyone who is religious then hadn't you better ask everyone in your respected members list if they are religious, and toss out the ones that are?

QXatFAT

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:29 am

Born Agains, Southern Baptist / Pentecostals and other preachy in your face Christians

So you have a bad experience with a few people so then that makes them all bad. Good logic.  Yeah sure

I am Southern Baptist (that is not my identity but rather the denomination, which is sad that we have them.) and though you may say I did not mean all, in every post it seems like you do mean everyone.

On topic,

Jesus Christ according to scripture and what I believe, is God in human form, born of a virgin (Hypostatic Union). He is my Savior and Redemer, alive and not dead, my Lord and God.
Don't Tread On Me!

MOBflyer

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:31 am

Jude 1:7: "Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

DocLightning

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 4):
And please respect those who do practice Christianity

I will. As soon as they shut up about it and don't try to:

1) Convince me to practice.
2) Pass laws to force me to behave as if I subscribed to their beliefs.
3) Teach their beliefs as fact in science classes (especially in government-funded schools).
4) Treat me or behave towards me as if I were morally inferior and ethically bankrupt because I am not a Christian.
5) Wage selective wars on countries that subscribe to other religions.

And until Christians actually live up to the ideals of Love, Humility, and Non-Judgementalism that Jesus Christ actually preached, they will find a staunch adversary in me.

But I see too many Christians twist Jesus's teachings into Hate, Pride, and Judgement of others.

As for who Jesus Christ was, some historians believe that he might have even been a collection of several men and not a single man. I personally believe he existed, that he was a Rebbi who was exalted as Meshiach, who was probably crucified, and then was made a martyr.

And his name was not Jesus. It was Yeshuah. Joshua.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

allstarflyer
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 41):
And his name was not Jesus. It was Yeshuah. Joshua.

Same root word . . . means "Jehovah is salvation".

Convince me to practice.

Not really the Christians job.

Pass laws to force me to behave as if I subscribed to their beliefs.

Have examples?

Teach their beliefs as fact in science classes (especially in government-funded schools).

I'm not really sold on evolutionary ideas that have wide-ranging dates as to when the universe came about, among other things.

Treat me or behave towards me as if I were morally inferior and ethically bankrupt because I am not a Christian.

Yeah, that's way wrong of Christians.

Wage selective wars on countries that subscribe to other religions.

Like the crusades, or, ahem, more recent events.

And until Christians actually live up to the ideals of Love, Humility, and Non-Judgementalism that Jesus Christ actually preached, they will find a staunch adversary in me.

Love, humility, yes, but He also taught to judge righteous judgement. But no one, no Christian, is qualified to judge another based on any personal righteousness the Christian may think he/she has (Romans 2:1).

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:30 am

mention of Him brings uncomfortable silence pretty much anywhere outside of a church,

Really? I have never noticed that.

That's a shame. You're just prolonging the divide between religions, or between the religious and the non-religious.

That's not particularly rational - prolonging division among a people. At least, I certainly don't think so. Deliberate alienation doesn't sound rational.

Blah, blah, blah.....

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 15):
Would expect nothing less from you.

checkmark 

I probably wouldn't like to be around anyone who was completely and utterly rational in their thoughts and actions. Probably be a pretty boring life.

No venom here. Just no belief in Jesus as a savior or anything.

Quoting David L (Reply 20):
Other than that, I'm staying out of this.

Oh yeah??? Well, I have it on good authority that you may be wrong!  devil 
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

slider

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:20 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 1):

First response and it's a repudiation. Interesting. You have that free will--that's something Jesus taught, incidentally. Your call.

the very essence of religion is 'faith'.

No, the essence of religion is, well, religion. It's an artificial construct of dogma and theology, which is man made. Quite converse actually to what Jesus taught--all he said was "Follow me" and he led the way.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 11):

Yes, but Paul, who wrote much of the New Testament, also didn't subscribe to the "infidels convert or be killed" like another major religion whose prophet was a murderer. Unlike Jesus. And that's not faith or religion talking, that's historical FACT.

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 12):
Don't know about Jesus, but Eric Clapton IS God!!

I know, it was written on this wall in Peckham in the 1970's so it must be true.

Ugh- don't remind me. The good thing is, finally, Clapton has grown into his outsized (and overrated after that tagging) reputation. Love him.

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 31):
What's weird about this particular figure, is that he's taken on a cult-like status, and many people are so transfixed by him, and so brainwashed into believing that they can live forever (why??), that they worship him, and that in turn makes them incapable of three things........it destroys their normal, healthy cognitive processes, it leads to an unhealthy denial of natural human freedom of thought, and it robs them of their inate existential processes.

Spoken like a true fact-based scientist or atheist. hey, you have the choice, and that's cool. But if you don't understand, which clearly you admit to above, then methinks you ought to zip the lip and not espouse such a position of which you are clearly ignorant of. Ya?

AirCop

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

He isn't anybody because he's dead

Well, maybe not, I arrested a few guys in my time that claimed they were Jesus Christ.  no 

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 33):
I could do an catholic funeral mass on my own now).

Perhaps you could offer this as an option at your place of employment.  razz 

2) Pass laws to force me to behave as if I subscribed to their beliefs.
3) Teach their beliefs as fact in science classes (especially in government-funded schools).
4) Treat me or behave towards me as if I were morally inferior and ethically bankrupt because I am not a Christian.

Thanks Doc, well spoken. of course if you were Christian you get a bye for breaking any of the church rules. I could tell you stories about the LDS church..

BN747

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:14 am

Who Is Jesus Christ?

A made up character, that if he really took on the physical characteristics of people born of that region at that time specified. (in other words he'd look more like an Abdulla or Hassan, vs a Sven or a Hans if accurately potrayed)...and 50% (or more) of his current followers would drop him like a rock - were he 'accurately depicted as such.'

He's a rallying point for adults ....alot like Santa Claus is for kids...you just make the switch somewhere between ages 5-11.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Doona

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:22 am

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 39):
giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh

Of course, using a passage of scripture to make an entire post is great, just so everyone is sure to understand it.  sarcastic 

On the other hand, giving myself over to fornication and going after strange flesh seems like a pretty good time to me.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

iairallie

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 am

However if you knock on my door telling me about your faith, I will slam the door on your face and don't get in my face if I am walking down the street or on the bus. Also, respect the laws of the country you visit. If prosthletizing is against the law in a given country, respect those laws. If a nation is officially Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic, Catholic, Atheist, Jewish, respect those laws and respect their religions.

Mormons,

Yes, we have prosthletizing missionaries but we are not in your face. A simple not interested or no thanks and our missionaries will leave you alone. They is no maliciousness in their intent and they aren't out there to attack or denigrate your beliefs they are just putting their message out there for those who might be interested. If your not interested that is perfectly fine no reason to get nasty about it. One of our core beliefs is that we respect the laws of the land. We do not go into countries without official permission and once there we respect the boundaries they set for us. We are happy to assume a purely humanitarian role with no religious strings attached if that is what a country wants. Are there individual members who might be pushy probably but that is not definative of religion as a whole. I think your charecterization of my religion is unfair.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Doona

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:44 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 48):

Yes, we have prosthletizing missionaries but we are not in your face.

How is it not being in someone's face? These missionaries are walking up to people, and questioning their faith/agnosticism/atheism. It's a deeply personal issue, and who gives them the right to question it?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

MadameConcorde

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:20 am

Jesus Christ was a spiritual teacher, always talking in the name of his Father until his last breath when he was crucified.

He seemed to befriend the poor and those who were in trouble, groups or indivivduals. He was a revolutionary.

I would also have liked to meet him if I lived where he was.

It is those after him who claimed he was God and made up all the stories. jesus Christ himself never said he was God. The churches think they own him. Many of the books writtten at the time about his life were confiscated by the churches. Probably because the facts were too disturbing.

I am not a member of any organized religion still I believe the life of Jesus Christ is authentic but not as said by these religions. He must have travelled way beyond Palestine, probably to Persia, India and beyond. A frequent traveller of his time.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):
Jesus Christ himself seems like a really cool guy and one I would have like to meet if I was alive back when he was around. It's some of his followers and their religions they started years after he was killed that I find scary and responsible for a lot of the world's conflicts today.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

mal787

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:25 am

A mythixcal character dreamt up by a couple of guys drinking in a bar many years ago  bomb   duck 
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

HAWK21M

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:48 am

I'm Roman Catholic & I stay in a city & have friends who are Muslim,Hindu,sikh,parsi,jains & buddists.
We can discuss each others religons,customs & traditions without hurting ones feelings.As long as one does not go overboard.
Personally I go to church on sundays,but prefer religon talks with people well known to me to avoid hurting others.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)