CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Thoughts On A Truck

Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:54 am

So, while here in Vancouver on my course, I decided I should start looking around for a truck while I'm down here. Partly because I want one, partly because the timing works, partly because theres probably a lot more selection down here than up at home, and partly because I've heard the drive from here to the Yukon is one worth doing.

So, I've decided to start looking around, and thought I'd post on here for some thoughts, opinions, ideas, advice, etc.

Not 100% sure what I want yet, but something along these lines:
-Cheap and fuel efficient as reasonably possible
-Something that I can carry and/or tow my snowmobile and move my tools with
-Something I can do some off roading with, and can do winter driving (there's a lot of both in the Yukon)
-Stick shift would be fun
-I don't really want fancy and full of "features". Don't need them, don't want more stuff to break.

I was thinking of something maybe Tacoma, Ranger, etc sort of category, but I'm willing to at least look into anything thats a good deal. Really, I have until about march or april before I actually would have to do anything so I can wait for the right deal to come along.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

2H4

RE: Thoughts On A Truck

Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:57 am

What's your budget?

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

treebeard787

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:05 am

Hey,
I just got a 2009 Tacoma last weekend and I absolutely love it! it's a great truck not as big as the Dodge Ram but not as small as a Ford Ranger and it's also built very sturdy and reliable. I get an average of 18 mpg with my truck, It drives really nice and handles very well. You can also get a 4x4 with TRD off-road tires. My truck is the Double cab long bed with the SR5 package.
Here a few pics of mine.
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2624/dsc01595zd6.jpg

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2949/dsc015931blockedoi5.jpg
a>
Allons-y!

MCOflyer

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:21 am

Check out a Toyota Tacoma or a Ford Ranger. Also Chevy S10's and Nissan Frontiers might be an option.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

L-188

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:35 am

First on Race Day.

I would consider probably a 1/2 ton.

Ford all the way.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming!

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 1):
What's your budget?

Haven't fully determined that yet, but not a hell of a lot. Being a full time student, I'm sure you can understand why I want something cheap and efficient. But also with road trips, cold winters, being out in the bush, etc, being good and reliable is just as important. But anyways, it would have to be a used vehicle for sure.

Quoting Treebeard787 (Reply 2):
I just got a 2009 Tacoma last weekend and I absolutely love it!

Nice truck. I have heard good things about them, and the two people I know that own Toyota trucks both say they absolutely love them. As noted in my starting post, definately near the top of my list of trucks to look into...

CanadianNorth

2H4

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 5):
Haven't fully determined that yet, but not a hell of a lot.

Very well. Here is where you'll find your next truck. Simply plug in a maximum price, and check it every day.  Smile

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

bristolflyer

Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Big version: Width: 320 Height: 240 File size: 28kb

I've got a 2008 Tacoma which I love - it's way better than the Ford & Chevys I have owned.

Some 'Tacoma thoughts' based upon your requirements:

Quoting CanadianNorth (Thread starter):
-Cheap and fuel efficient as reasonably possible

They're not very cheap. You tend to pay more for them, but they're worth more when you sell them. Not bad efficiency for a truck.

-Something that I can carry and/or tow my snowmobile and move my tools with

This may be an issue. The longest bed you can get is a 6', how long is the snowmobile? Another concern would be that the tailgates on Tacos are notoriously weak (200 lb maimum limit) so driving over it with your snowmobile (or allowing the snowmobile to hang out on it) may not work.

-Something I can do some off roading with, and can do winter driving (there's a lot of both in the Yukon)

They're pretty competent offroad, but with the higher value I'd be a bit scared of taking in the dirt. I don't think the 6' bed is available with 4WD. Same with loading a snowmobile into it - I can foresee all sorts of scratches etc, not something you want on a decent truck.

-Stick shift would be fun

I don't think it's available with stick shift, though I may be wrong.

So instead of a Taco I'd recommend a 1/2 ton with a few years on it. All of the half tons come with 8' beds, should be big enough for a snowmobile.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 3):
Chevy S10's

I think he wants a truck, not a toy.
Fortune favours the brave

yooyoo

Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:53 pm

I got a Ford Ranger (smaller of the 6 cyl. versions)earlier this month. Nothing special on it but it does the job. I got the bed sprayed and a Extang cover for it.
It's my first truck so i have nothing to compare to, but like i said it does the job for me.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

VonRichtofen

Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:02 pm

I have a '91 Ford Ranger that refuses to die. My uncle had an '89 that went past 400,000km before he got rid of it.

So I'd say Ford or Toyota.

jfk69

Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:33 pm

My father in law has an 08 Tacoma and the guy loves it.

seems to be your best bet here.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 7):
This may be an issue. The longest bed you can get is a 6', how long is the snowmobile? Another concern would be that the tailgates on Tacos are notoriously weak (200 lb maimum limit) so driving over it with your snowmobile (or allowing the snowmobile to hang out on it) may not work.

Well I would rarely need to haul it anyways, once a year at the most. And I usually have access to a tilt bed snowmobile trailer, so it would be just as easy to throw my sled on that and tow it. Basically getting the sled in the box is a nice idea, but really not important. As long as it can tow my sled, it's more than good enough.

I don't think it's available with stick shift, though I may be wrong.

As said stick shift would be more fun, but it's really not that important to me if it's there or not.

but with the higher value I'd be a bit scared of taking in the dirt.

Whole reason why I want a truck and not a car is to put it to work and have some fun!

CanadianNorth

bristolflyer

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:07 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 11):
Whole reason why I want a truck and not a car is to put it to work and have some fun!

A friend has an older Taco (I think before the current model) with 4wd and a factory rear diff lock. That thing goes places offroad. And it'll easy tow a snowmobile on a trailer (actually, just about any truck will - a snowmobile must be pretty light).
Fortune favours the brave

kc135topboom

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:43 am

Are you looking new, or used?

If you want a bigger truck, I'd go with the regular cab Ford F-150, XL trim (crank up windows, no power door locks), 4X4, with the 4.6 V-8. You can get them with either a stick shift, or automatic. If you are going to do rough/tough driving in the NW Terroitories, this is what you need. The down side is the gas milage. The up side is this is a tough truck to kill, and if you need to tow anything, it will almost pull a house.

If you want a smaller truck, go with the Ford Ranger regular or super cab, 4X4, XL or XLT trim (do not get the power window/lock/cruse control option), with the 4.0 V-6, don't get the I-4 or 3.0 V-6. Again, they come with either transmissions. This truck really doesn't have a down side, and brand new (here in Texas) this truck is about $20,000 US. Again, this is a very tough truck, and will tow up to 5,000lbs.

I have had both the F-150 and Ranger trucks. I still have my 2003 F-150 Lariet (5.4 V-8), with the 7700lb package. Before this one, I had a F-150 Super Cab XLT with a 4.6 and auto, took me 228,000 miles (still running strong) when I traded it for my current truck. Even with that high milage, I still got $5850 for the trade. The last Ranger was a XLT Super Cab, with the 4.0 and 5 speed shift, I traded in on that F-150 with 198,000 miles (still running strong). I have used all my trucks to tow my campers. The only reason I up-graded from the Ranger to the F-150 was I got a heavier camper.

I put a lot of miles on my trucks, and use them as trucks, they just don't sit looking pretty with nothing in the beds. But, I also take care of them, change the oil every 5,000 miles, tune-ups at 100K, filters, antifreeze, tires, brakes, etc, when needed.

The only unscheduled maintenance I have had to do was once I replaaced one fuel injector in my current F-150, and the F-150 before this one, I replaced one oxygen sensor.

You just cannot beat a Ford truck.

stasisLAX

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:20 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 13):
I'd go with the regular cab Ford F-150, XL trim (crank up windows, no power door locks), 4X4, with the 4.6 V-8.

For someone like the OP that intends to use a pick-up truck as a truck, hauling, off-road, horrible weather, I have to agree with the F-150 suggestion. My stepfather has had 9 of them (they're company trucks that get used as a real work truck at an oil refinery - meaning they get the crap beat outta them) over the past 20 or so years. He swears by them. They got Dodge Ram pick-ups ONCE back in the 1990's as company trucks - the oil company will never again purchase Dodge trucks because they fell apart. F-150 is the only way to go!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:57 pm

Are you looking new, or used?

Used for sure, a new F-150 would be thoroughly beyond my budget.

If you want a bigger truck,

If the deal was right I'd certainly look into it, but I still think a smaller truck such as a Ranger or a Taco would suit me better. But as said, if the deal was right I'm keeping an open mind.

and brand new (here in Texas) this truck is about $20,000 US.

Again I like the idea, but my wallet was hoping for something in the general area of half that.

CanadianNorth

Cadet57

Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:10 pm

Toyota trucks have to be the ugliest things on the market. And they arent as wonderful as people make them sounds. Surprised no one has mentioned the fact toyota is buying back Tacoma's because their frames are rusting out.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/specialGlobeAuto/home/?query=
http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/web...ota_will_buy_back_rusted_ta_1.html

Also reports of this happening on 2004 and newer models as well...

I would get a Ford F-150 (can get them with around 10k off msrp here) or a chevy. Whatever you do, don't buy a dodge.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

A332

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:38 pm

I would agree with those who are promoting the Ford Ranger as your best bet. It fits the bill for what you need, can be easily obtained used in good condition with the amenities you want and really can't be beat when it comes to value. You get budget-priced dependability and a very capable truck.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Dougloid

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:46 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 16):
Toyota trucks have to be the ugliest things on the market. And they arent as wonderful as people make them sounds. Surprised no one has mentioned the fact toyota is buying back Tacoma's because their frames are rusting out.

Gosh...you'd think those boys never heard of LPS3.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

treebeard787

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:35 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 16):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/specialGlobeAuto/home/?query=
http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/web...ota_will_buy_back_rusted_ta_1.html

Also reports of this happening on 2004 and newer models as well...

Did you notice it's mostly 95 to 2000 models? and only Tacoma's made at the Fremont, CA factory had the problem? I hardly think you need to worry about that with most Toyota's. All vehicles regardless of who makes them can rust with the right conditions. Toyota's being the ugliest things on the market? have you seen some of the Dodge vehicles?? Dodge makes ugly cars not Toyota.
Allons-y!

Cadet57

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting Treebeard787 (Reply 19):
Did you notice it's mostly 95 to 2000 models? and only Tacoma's made at the Fremont, CA factory had the problem?

Sure I did, but did you also see my post sayin there are reports of it happening to 2004 and NEWER trucks?

All vehicles regardless of who makes them can rust with the right conditions.

Sure they can, I see cars with rust every day, but not on the frame.

have you seen some of the Dodge vehicles?? Dodge makes ugly cars not Toyota.

If you read all of my post before going into Defend Toyota mode, you'll notice I said avoid dodge too. All their products are ugly with the exception of the charger and the challanger. That also said, yes, toyota makes ugly vehicles. You mean to tell me the Yaris and Prius are.... good looking?  confused 

treebeard787

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 20):
If you read all of my post before going into Defend Toyota mode, you'll notice I said avoid dodge too. All their products are ugly with the exception of the charger and the challanger. That also said, yes, toyota makes ugly vehicles. You mean to tell me the Yaris and Prius are.... good looking? confused

Sorry I missed that in your post  Embarrassment I don't actualy like the Yaris or Prius, I should have said toyota trucks instead of cars........Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Allons-y!

Cadet57

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:15 pm

Quoting Treebeard787 (Reply 21):
.Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No worries. That said, I will say this, the 4-Runner is a decent looking truck, there I said it!  Wink

YVRLTN

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 pm

I drive a 2007 F150 5.4 XLT with the XTR package and its a great truck. My only complaints are the gas consumption is a bit of a killer, particularly in town, its not exactly a looker (apart from the Harley Davidson version) and my light grey cloth interior is an awful selection for a work truck, mine isnt two years old yet and theres nasty irremovable mud and oil etc stains on the upholstery.

As others have said, it takes a beating, Ive had some huge weights over the tailgate with no complaints and its brilliant at towing a boat or trailer, so no worries with a snowmobile. Get a liner for the bed though, mine came standard with the XTR package. Nice and comfortable for a long drive, great handling and performance, can be very fun to drive and surprises plenty of people off from the lights - at a mpg penalty though...

Theres a new F150 coming out next year (???? on timing) but that should drop down the purchase prices on the current models. You may get a 3 year old F150 at a decent price - even if it costs more than the rivals, it should be worth the extra investment in the long run.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Superfly

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:14 pm

I was thinking of something maybe Tacoma, Ranger, etc sort of category,

For that category, have you considered the Dodge Dakota?

(1992-1996 models pictured)

http://www.hamiltonautosalesinc.com/1994_DODGE_DAKOTA_RED_AND_GREY_002.jpg

These have great towing capacity, available with small V8 as a option and still delivers good mileage when not towing.
Also a very comfortable truck to ride in.
Bring back the Concorde

socalfive

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:36 pm

Having spent 15 years in the car business I'll tell you THIS...

FORD - CRAP

CHEVY - CRAP

DODGE - I have one and it's CRAP

GMC - SAME AS CHEVY

There's only ONE truck to buy that far outpaces the reliability of anything else on the road,

TOYOTA, end of story, put a period on that sentence buy one and you'll be happy for many many years.

I'm going back to a Tacoma on my next truck and staying there where I once was and should have stayed. They'll all go 80,000 miles then nickel and dime you to death, EXCEPT TOYOTA. My last Tacoma had 211,000 miles on it and never cost me more than oil changes, brakes and tires.

Superfly

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 25):
Having spent 15 years in the car business I'll tell you THIS...

..and I've worked on cars over the past 15 years and all companies have their gems and their turds.
Ford, GM and Dodge makes great trucks. Toyota makes decent small trucks if you are delivering flowers and wedding cakes. Unless you have an old Land Cruiser (pre-luxury models) or a FJ Cruiser, I wouldn't take it off road or on rough roads that you have up their in the Canadian north.
Bring back the Concorde

asuflyer05

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:03 am

Whatever you do, don't buy a new one. You can pick up a current model year program car for significantly less than what a new truck would run. Even factoring in the rebates, incentives, etc.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:17 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 27):
Whatever you do, don't buy a new one.

Definately won't be doing that. A) I couldn't come remotely close to affording it; and B) My personal opinion is used ones are a better deal anyway. As said I don't really care how "nice" it is or whether or not it has a scratch on it, I just want something cheap and reliable to get me and my stuff where I want to go.

Thanks for all the replies folks, and I look forward to hearing more. But keep in mind that A) I don't have a ton of money to put into this (like $10,000 or less sorta deal) and B) It's not like I'm looking for something really nice that'l last 20 years, at this point I just want something thats good but cheap. If it needs replacing in 5 years I can deal with that, and if it's got some scratches etc my only thoughts on that are "as long as it runs well I don't really care how great it looks". Won't exactly be lowering it, installing a top of the line stereo and taking it to car shows every weekend.

Basically think "Airplane mechanic student who just wants a truck to get to work and go out and play on the weekends."

CanadianNorth

treebeard787

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 28):
Definately won't be doing that. A) I couldn't come remotely close to affording it; and B) My personal opinion is used ones are a better deal anyway. As said I don't really care how "nice" it is or whether or not it has a scratch on it, I just want something cheap and reliable to get me and my stuff where I want to go.

Thanks for all the replies folks, and I look forward to hearing more. But keep in mind that A) I don't have a ton of money to put into this (like $10,000 or less sorta deal) and B) It's not like I'm looking for something really nice that'l last 20 years, at this point I just want something thats good but cheap. If it needs replacing in 5 years I can deal with that, and if it's got some scratches etc my only thoughts on that are "as long as it runs well I don't really care how great it looks". Won't exactly be lowering it, installing a top of the line stereo and taking it to car shows every weekend.

Basically think "Airplane mechanic student who just wants a truck to get to work and go out and play on the weekends."

CanadianNorth

In that case I would definitely look into a 4 year old Tacoma or even an F150, a 4 plus year old model shouldn't cost you much to buy and should still last for several years.
Allons-y!

asuflyer05

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:24 am

I just got a 2009 Tacoma last weekend and I absolutely love it! it's a great truck not as big as the Dodge Ram but not as small as a Ford Ranger and it's also built very sturdy and reliable.

Bought it from Big Two eh? What did you think of the place? I just shot them my resume.

Cadet57

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:33 am

TOYOTA, end of story, put a period on that sentence buy one and you'll be happy for many many years.

If your frame does not rust off first.

treebeard787

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:38 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 30):
Bought it from Big Two eh? What did you think of the place? I just shot them my resume.

Seemed to be pretty nice, it was really clean and was fairly busy as well, The only oddities are the fact that there is a hair salon there  Confused Who go's to car dealers to get a haircut??
Allons-y!

asuflyer05

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:49 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 31):
If your frame does not rust off first.

Oh stop. The rust issue is such a small percentage in relation to the number of Tacomas built. I'd like to see how man VWs have had catastrophic electrical problems against the total # produced.

Dougloid

Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 33):
The rust issue is such a small percentage in relation to the number of Tacomas built.

How do you know that? The number of trucks in the buyback pool is 813,000 or so. What does Volkswagen have to do with it, being as they don't make or sell trucks in the US?

"So's your auntie" never has been a very good argument.

I think all youse guys who live in the southwest don't have any idea what frame rot looks like.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008...o-buy-back-rusty-tacomas/#more-456

Cadet57

Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 34):
hat does Volkswagen have to do with it, being as they don't make or sell trucks in the US?

Because I own a VW and he would love to throw some numbers back at me.

A332

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 pm

There's only ONE truck to buy that far outpaces the reliability of anything else on the road,

Really? I currently own two GM vehicles (one 1995 model, one 2003 model) and have owned a few other GMs alongside a few Fords and a couple Dodge models in my 14 years of motoring and guess what, they're just as reliable as the next vehicle on the road.

A little tired of the glaring assumption that every single vehicle of the big three is garbage. Outside of the usual fluid changes, brake pads and other routine maintenance, NONE of my GM vehicles have ever cost me a dime more.

Conversely, I know of several people who have purchased imports and have nothing but trouble with them... so really... it works both ways.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Cadet57

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 36):
Really? I currently own two GM vehicles (one 1995 model, one 2003 model) and have owned a few other GMs alongside a few Fords and a couple Dodge models in my 14 years of motoring and guess what, they're just as reliable as the next vehicle on the road.

A little tired of the glaring assumption that every single vehicle of the big three is garbage. Outside of the usual fluid changes, brake pads and other routine maintenance, NONE of my GM vehicles have ever cost me a dime more.

Conversely, I know of several people who have purchased imports and have nothing but trouble with them... so really... it works both ways.

Thank you! An excellent post. We have 4 cars in our house hold. A Nissan, a Ford, a Chevy and a VW. Of all those cars. the one that's needed the most work? The Nissan. We used to have an Acura. I can remember my dad doing electrical work, engine work on multiple occasions, oh a transmission and finally the computer died. So much for that. And actually, that was the last foreign car we bought. the Nissan is my grandmothers. All 77k of it  laughing 

treebeard787

Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 37):
Thank you! An excellent post. We have 4 cars in our house hold. A Nissan, a Ford, a Chevy and a VW. Of all those cars. the one that's needed the most work? The Nissan. We used to have an Acura. I can remember my dad doing electrical work, engine work on multiple occasions, oh a transmission and finally the computer died. So much for that. And actually, that was the last foreign car we bought. the Nissan is my grandmothers. All 77k of it laughing

My parents just recently got rid of their Nissan, It always seemed to have a problem including a horn that stopped working and it only had 41K on it, my parents said they won't buy anymore Nissan's now. My dad drives a Ford F250 and hasn't had any major problems accept an Oil leak because of a faulty part when he first bought it, but once that was fixed it's ran nice for the last 4 years.
Allons-y!

Dougloid

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 35):
hat does Volkswagen have to do with it, being as they don't make or sell trucks in the US?

Because I own a VW and he would love to throw some numbers back at me.

Hmmmmm....like I said, "So's yer auntie" is a piss poor argument that fails the logic test. It's close to "your mother wears army boots."

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far and hopefully they keep coming!

But,

Dougloid

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 35):
Cadet57

Discussion about various brands is good, but please keep in mind this thread was meant to be about buying a truck in Canada, which doesn't really have much to do with US model Toyotas and VW cars.

Pretty much every manufacturer has some good trucks and some not so good trucks, so lets keep more to the actual vehicles instead of just saying my brand is better than your brand.

CanadianNorth

Dougloid

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:13 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 40):
iscussion about various brands is good, but please keep in mind this thread was meant to be about buying a truck in Canada, which doesn't really have much to do with US model Toyotas and VW cars.

OK.

F-150.

They're going at fire sale prices right now. What I believe I would do if I was in Canada and in the market would be to pick up that truck on a nice dry day, put it in the garage on stands, and go out and get a couple of gallons of LPS3 and a Blue Point sprayer.

Then I'd get into my coveralls, tape everything off, cover everything I didn't want greased, put on a respirator and proceed to corrosion proof that sucker. The next thing I'd do is I'd leave that truck up on blocks for a week or so until the LPS cured up. I might also do a second application. Or, I might see if anyone does Ziebart treatment like they used to and treat the new buggy to that.

The you could be pretty sure that it wouldn't rust out prematurely.

Chi-town

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:28 pm

I'm actually trying to decide between the Ford F150 and the Toyota Tundra. Can anyone give me some insight? Will the Toyota Tundra last longer and retain more value? I have heard good things about the Toyota trucks.

Cadet57

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:47 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 40):
VW cars.

Hey, dont look at me. Asuflyer is the one who brought up VW into this.

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 42):
I'm actually trying to decide between the Ford F150 and the Toyota Tundra

The toyota koolaid drinkers will tell you the tundra is the best pickup hands down. Honestly, I dont understand it. Im going to recomend the F-150. Americas best selling truck and reliable as heck. We're on our 2nd ford now. ('97 F-150, '02 F250 diesel) and they are great trucks, and right now is a great time to buy, prices are low and they want the bussiness.

Superfly

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:52 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 43):
The toyota koolaid drinkers will tell you the tundra is the best pickup hands down. Honestly, I dont understand it. Im going to recomend the F-150. Americas best selling truck and reliable as heck.

checkmark 

Not even sure if that's even a fair comparison. The Ford is clearly a better truck all across the board.
Bring back the Concorde

treebeard787

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:59 pm

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 42):
I'm actually trying to decide between the Ford F150 and the Toyota Tundra. Can anyone give me some insight? Will the Toyota Tundra last longer and retain more value? I have heard good things about the Toyota trucks.

Depends on what you want a truck for, If you just want a great looking truck that you can haul modest loads with and be very comfortable driving it then I would recommend the Toyota, But if you want a cheaper truck that can tow a house I would go with a Ford.
In the end both trucks are great and will last you for a long time.
Allons-y!