Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RJdxer
Topic Author

The Busa Is Stolen!

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:11 am

Two miscreants who deserve nothing less than a good old fashioned Singapore caning stole my Hayabusa today. Building security shows them entering the parking garage and going right to my bike, bypassing several Harley Davidsons on the way, popping the ignition, disabling the alarm, with one of them riding it off in under a minute flat. I've been wary of the parking garage since I started working back downtown since they do not allow motorcycles above the first floor and force us to park near the entrance in a chained off area. There is no gate nor real security to prevent this sort of thing from happening to anyone else. I had the alarm set as usual to "perimeter" but even though it must have been blasting away evidently nobody noticed. A hale and hardy farewell to the Busa, it took me on several good road trips and provided hours and hours of high speed excitement.

Considering it happened two hours into my shift which means the crooks had a 6 hour jump on my discovering it had gone missing, chances are my bike is already in pieces headed for different part shops around the country. It only took the crooks a minute to take my bike. I called the police as soon as I came out from work and was told they take these reports over the phone now. Two hours have passed and I am still awaiting a call back. I need a case number to give to my insurance agent.  thumbsdown  to the Houston police department so far.  mad 

asuflyer05

RE: The Busa Is Stolen!

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:54 am

Vote for Obama and you'll get it back.

Just trying to make a light hearted joke in an angry time. Sorry to hear about your bike. Here's to hoping you get her back in the same condition you left her. Keep us posted.

[Edited 2008-10-06 21:57:59]

2H4

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:56 am

Sorry to hear that, RJ. Will it be covered by insurance? What are you going to do about a replacement?

2H4

andz

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:15 am

Quoting RJdxer (Thread starter):
bypassing several Harley Davidsons

Obviously they were discerning thieves! But yeah, your chances of getting it back are probably less than zero, it is too easy to make a bike disappear. Hopefully something will come of the security footage in catching the scum.

RJdxer
Topic Author

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 2):
Will it be covered by insurance?

Fully. And I may go after the parking garage since they force us two wheel types to park right next to exit with no security.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 2):
What are you going to do about a replacement?

Hmmmmmmm.....a toss up,

or?

Quoting Andz (Reply 3):
Obviously they were discerning thieves!

Obviously!  smile 

Quoting Andz (Reply 3):
Hopefully something will come of the security footage in catching the scum.

I saw the tape this morning. Too far away to make out a face. Clearly shows them in and out in under a minute. They knew what they were doing and they zeroed in on my bike. The didn't even look at any of the others.

2H4

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 3):
bypassing several Harley Davidsons

Obviously they were discerning thieves!

Yes, at least they had taste!   

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 4):
Fully. And I may go after the parking garage since they force us two wheel types to park right next to exit with no security.

Good. And I hope you're successful in going after the parking garage. I hate when parking "authorities" neglect motorcycles. Do keep us posted, both on the parking garage issue and on your new bike.

2H4

P.S. - I'm running a little "investigation" of my own for you. Will keep you posted.

[Edited 2008-10-07 10:48:57]

RJdxer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:58 am

I saw the security cam videos. I would post them here but they are on discs that will not allow me to copy. Tomorrow they will go to the police. One shows them looking over the bike at about 3pm the other in the building at around 3:15pm and then the theft at 3:35pm. You can clearly see the turn signals flashing on and off in both garage scenes which means the alarm was blasting away. Cars are going out of the garage right past them both times. The parking garage security office is right across from the motorcycle parking area. I had the hard cover plastic back on so it was in single seat config. When they take off on it the are both riding it so it had to look awful akward. Shame they didn't get hit going out of the parking lot as I have almost had happen to me numerous times. Since it hasn't turned up yet the "joyride" theft is probably out of the question and I guess I can pretty much figure it's gone for good.

Dougloid

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:05 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 6):
I saw the security cam videos.

When I worked at Douglas a guy I knew slightly had a newish Z28 that got stolen out of the parking lot.

Here's how it happened. He was between insurance companies-a lot of people did that in So Cal, they'd get insurance, get a loan, buy a car they couldn't afford, drop the insurance and barely get by, but they'd be driving an expensive ride-sort of an automotive Potemkin Village. Buying things you couldn't afford was a way of life there, as we are now seeing.

So this guy bought The Club, because he'd heard about it on the Rush Limbaugh show, and parked the Z28 right in front of the guard shack that was manned at all times. Thought he'd be safe, don't you see?

When he got off his shift, the Z28 was gone and there was The Club, right where the car had been parked. What Rush hadn't told the millions of people who bought those goddamn useless pieces of shit on his say so was that car thieves just take bolt cutters and cut the wire in the steering wheel and off with The Club. A minor inconvenience. The guards didn't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary.

flight152

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:45 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 7):
a newish Z28 that got stolen out of the parking lot.

They were doing him a favor.

CO7e7

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:42 am

RJ,
Sorry to hear about your stolen bike. I never ride my bike to work because it worries me that some knuckle-head might do something stupid. I still get tons of riding done but rarely to work.

Who's your insurance provider and do you have full coverage?

AirCop

Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:15 pm

stole my Hayabusa today.

Shit happens...usually at the worst possible time.

It only took the crooks a minute to take my bike.

I sure hope it wouldn't take much more than that..

I called the police as soon as I came out from work and was told they take these reports over the phone now. Two hours have passed and I am still awaiting a call back.

Classy, vehicle theft is the largest in $$$ of all property crimes, and some departments treat it has a joke. How did they prove ownership over the phone? Is vehicle theft similar to horse theft in Texas, can you hang the bad guys right away if caught?

A hale and hardy farewell to the Busa, it took me on several good road trips and provided hours and hours of high speed excitement.

What is an old fart like you doing with a bike that goes a zillion miles an hour? For your age shouldn't you have a Honda Gold Wing with a side car.  razz 

RJdxer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 10):
How did they prove ownership over the phone?

License number both bike and my drivers.

Is vehicle theft similar to horse theft in Texas, can you hang the bad guys right away if caught?

I was hoping the crooks would get hit going out of the parking lot. I could take the bike being wrecked if I knew they were in a bloody mess as well.

What is an old fart like you doing with a bike that goes a zillion miles an hour?

You are only as old as you want to feel.  wink 

I will amend my statement about the Houston Police, at least the officers. The people on the phone seem to be clueless but the officer who came out to my home was professional and willing to take time to answer my questions. Now it's just a matter of how long the insurance company is going to wait before paying up. I've been on time with my premiums, now it's their turn.

2H4

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:12 pm

RJ, you might want to post a notice at busa-club.com. They're local to NW Houston, so you never know. If they've all got their radar out, they might come up with some info for you.

My little investigative op didn't come up with much. I posted a "Hayabusa Parts Wanted" ad in the HOU Craigslist hoping to lure the thieves, but no dice. Oh well...I hope things work out for you.

2H4

AirCop

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 11):
Now it's just a matter of how long the insurance company is going to wait before paying up.

It's usually 30 days before they will pay out for a vehicle theft.

RJdxer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:58 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 12):
they might come up with some info for you.

Thanks for the link, will do.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 12):
hope things work out for you.

Thanks again for trying.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 13):
It's usually 30 days before they will pay out for a vehicle theft.

Yes, and the funny part is a premium will be due in between the steal date and the pay out date.

RJdxer
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Friday while out and about I stopped by my mechanics place of business to tell him the news of the Busa. He was sympathetic and when I described what I was looking for he showed me a 2004 Suzuki Volusia 800cc with 4500 miles on it that they were selling on consignment for a customer. The mechanic vouched for the maintenance being done in a timely fashion and that it had never been wrecked or dropped as far as he knew. The price was right at 3500 dollars so I plunked down and there you are.

Obviously it has none of the pick up that the Busa did so my style of driving has definitely changed. No longer can I think of out accelerating the problem. Fortunately the previous owner installed Cobra pipes so now I can just twist the throttle and it makes so much noise only a deaf person would fail to notice it. It doesn't corner anywhere as near as tight as the Busa but on the other hand I can look left and right for more than a second at a time and be pretty sure the bike won't have done anything squirrelly while I diverted my attention since the center of gravity is so much lower. Lastly, it's got a nice big ole comfy seat and takes the holes and bumps with little notice. I'll have a much better time on cross country jaunts on this bike.

As to my Busa? Enough time has gone by that I am pretty sure it is no longer in the Houston area, either whole or in parts for that matter. Still have not heard from the police if they caught the guys who did it although they have camera footage as well as one other piece of info I can't share here just yet. I'll miss that bike but I have the fun times to remember.

WunalaYann

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 15):
As to my Busa?

Did you have the turbo on the GSX-R?

The thing is so quick, it was probably on Jupiter an hour after they stole it.

In all seriousness, sorry to hear about the theft, mate.

In all silliness, you are one of these youtube crazies who film themselves doing wheelies at 335 km/h on side streets next to kindergardens.  biggrin 

RJdxer
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 16):
Did you have the turbo on the GSX-R?

Nope. Pure stock was enough for me. I know a couple of people who have the turbo on their bikes and to me, unless you are going to the track to try and kill yourself it was just money not well spent.

In all seriousness, sorry to hear about the theft, mate.

Thanks. I'm sorry it's gone but it was metal, rubber, plastic, and fiberglass. A lot of fun but my wrists were starting to burn after about an hour of riding so my days with it were limited. I just wish the two that stole it would have been hit by a garbage truck pulling out of the garage.

In all silliness, you are one of these youtube crazies who film themselves doing wheelies at 335 km/h on side streets next to kindergardens.

I didn't get to be my age by doing stupid stuff like that. I'm the one holding the idiot who is doing that stuffs beer. Then when he crashes, rather than let a good beer go to waste, I drink it!